PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Booming Blade somatic component

tontoncho
2021-09-12, 12:51 PM
So Ive been trying to find more info about the somatic component of the spell but I can only find stuff from 3 years ago when the component was verbal. My question is, do I need a free hand to imbue the weapon with the booming energy? or is the "brandish" part you do while holding the weapon the somatic component? I wanna know since my character uses shield and sword.

Thanks.

Townopolis
2021-09-12, 12:55 PM
PHB 203, under Material Components, includes a sentence on how you can use the same hand for your material and somatic components for spells with both. In this case, since the spell has a material component, you can safely say that the hand holding your material component can be used to handle the somatic component as well.

BigRedJedi
2021-09-12, 03:32 PM
PHB 203, under Material Components, includes a sentence on how you can use the same hand for your material and somatic components for spells with both. In this case, since the spell has a material component, you can safely say that the hand holding your material component can be used to handle the somatic component as well.

And just to bring up a point that is sometimes forgotten around some of the tables I frequent: Every Artificer spell is treated as having an 'M' component, an Artificer must use a focus to cast their spells, and the eligible list: thieves' tools, artisan tools, anything that is infused by the Artificer, and the Arcane Armor of an Armorer.

It is an interesting quirk of Artificer casting.

tontoncho
2021-09-12, 06:16 PM
Thanks! this solves it ( :