PDA

View Full Version : Lich Mock Trial

Pages : [1] 2

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 04:32 PM
I'll post the previous post to make it easier for me:
Well, we can start the combat. I do want to say that we'll use the honor system for the dice rolls. And I already established that the fight will be ToTM. Just notify your positions and actions. If you attack with extra attacks, go ahead and roll all the attack and damage rolls at once and I'll let you know what the lich does if she does anything.

Now, I'll go ahead and introduce the scene:
You enter a large throne room. The decor is lavish yet the air is foul and thick. The marble pillars align to the end of the room, where you see a throne raised slightly on a pulpit. A woman's voice from the end of the room speaks. She speaks a proper tone, almost like a princess. Yet the venom in her words betray her act.

"Welcome to your death, foolish mortals. You should congratulate yourselves. You've managed to make Death Incarnate furious with your actions, and you get to die by her hands. Don't worry, though, I'll be sure you'll have the honor of being the first to have their soul consumed by my new phylactery once its complete." You can determine based on her voice that she's positioned on the throne. You can also tell that she had just stood up, probably to get into a proper fighting stance.

Her initiative:

[11]+3 = 14.

(btw, my format for this exercise will be [dice roll result] + modifier = total. With advantage, its [dice1][dice2] + modifier = total w/ higher dice. Vice versa with disadvantage.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 06:56 PM
I'll post the previous post to make it easier for me:

Initiatives
Archer (15)+5 = 20
Barb/Rogue (7)+2 = 9
Cleric (2) + 2 = 4
Wizard (19)+2 = 21

By the way the cleric has prebuffed bless using a level 2 slot on the entire party and also prebuffed Aid using a level 5 slot on the Archer, Cleric and Wizard. The Wizard has prebuffed haste on the barbarian.

You'll have to let me know how far the characters are away from from the enemy when you call for initiative. They would advance in a loose formation with the Barbarian Leading straight down the middle, Cleric and wizard would be back to right moving forward near the columns but on the inside of them. The archer would be opposite of them near the left columns, also on the inside of them.

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 07:26 PM
Initiatives
Archer (15)+5 = 20
Barb/Rogue (7)+2 = 9
Cleric (2) + 2 = 4
Wizard (19)+2 = 21

By the way the cleric has prebuffed bless using a level 2 slot on the entire party and also prebuffed Aid using a level 5 slot on the Archer, Cleric and Wizard. The Wizard has prebuffed haste on the barbarian.

You'll have to let me know how far the characters are away from from the enemy when you call for initiative. They would advance in a loose formation with the Barbarian Leading straight down the middle, Cleric and wizard would be back to right moving forward near the columns but on the inside of them. The archer would be opposite of them near the left columns, also on the inside of them.
At the start, its 150ft away, opposite sides of the room. So you can choose to dash, shoot from a distance, etcetera. She's still in the position of her throne, standing up. She's clearly invisible, though. You can't determine anything else about her visible appearance, though.

Also, please post your AC's as well. I know your features and saves, but I just want to make sure I'm not mistaken with the AC (yes, you can have max armor equipped).

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 07:34 PM
At the start, its 150ft away, opposite sides of the room. So you can choose to dash, shoot from a distance, etcetera. She's still in the position of her throne, standing up. She's clearly invisible, though. You can't determine anything else about her visible appearance, though.

The wizard moves forward 30 ft and casts dispel magic using a level 3 slot. (Range is 120ft)

Archer has 18 Total 17 Base and +1 from cloak of protection
Barbarian has 19 Total, 17 unarmored and +2 from cloak and ring of protection
Cleric has 22 total, 20 from plate and shield, +2 from cloak and ring of protection
Cleric has 21 total, 20 from half plate and shield, +2 from cloak and ring of protection
Wizard has 17 Total, 15 from mage armor and +2 from cloak and ring of protection

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 07:39 PM
The wizard moves forward 30 ft and casts dispel magic using a level 3 slot. (Range is 120ft)
Make two intelligence ability checks.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 07:41 PM
Make two intelligence ability checks.

(10)(20)+5

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 07:47 PM
(10)(20)+5
She appears before you. Her sickly greenish-gray skin and rotting flesh is appalling, yet she still carries her demeanor as one who feels superior, looking down on you all. "Happy to see me, wizard? I hope so. I'm very happy to see you."

Next turn, the fighter.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 07:55 PM
She appears before you. Her sickly greenish-gray skin and rotting flesh is appalling, yet she still carries her demeanor as one who feels superior, looking down on you all. "Happy to see me, wizard? I hope so. I'm very happy to see you."

Next turn, the fighter.

Fighter Attacks and Bonus action attacks

(5)(*1)+10 = 16
(4)(*1)+10 = 15
(6)(*2)+10 = 18
(5)(*3)+10 = 18

Not using any dice or action surge at the moment.

*Note - had to move forward 30ft to be in range with hand crossbow

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 08:03 PM
Fighter Attacks and Bonus action attacks

(5)(*1)+10 = 16
(4)(*1)+10 = 15
(6)(*2)+10 = 18
(5)(*3)+10 = 18

Not using any dice or action surge at the moment.
She casts shield. The first two attacks zip past her while the last two seemed like they'd graze her, but they instead bounced off of what looked like a magical barrier of force.

She uses her lair action and recovers the spell slot she used for shield.

She then takes her turn to move behind the nearest pillar and take full cover from the wizard and fighter. She casts a spell and three illusory duplicates appear. Of course, she's obscured from the wizard and fighter, but the rogue and cleric still has her in line of sight by half-cover.

The distance from her is 90ft from the wizard and fighter, 120ft from the other characters so far.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 08:16 PM
She casts shield. The first two attacks zip past her while the last two seemed like they'd graze her, but they instead bounced off of what looked like a magical barrier of force.

She uses her lair action and recovers the spell slot she used for shield.

She then takes her turn to move behind the nearest pillar and take full cover from the wizard and fighter. She casts a spell and three illusory duplicates appear. Of course, she's obscured from the wizard and fighter, but the rogue and cleric still has her in line of sight by half-cover.

The distance from her is 90ft from the wizard, 120ft from the other characters so far.

*Not sure if you seen my note about the fighter originally moving up to be 120ft away (forgot to initially note it from focusing on the attack rolls, but he couldn't have attacked otherwise). So he's probably 90 as well.

The Barbarian Rogue using cunning action to dash (he is hasted so can now move 160ft this turn). He moves up to the Lich and attacks twice with his extra attack and once with haste.

(3)(*1)+12 = 16
(19)(*4)+12 = 35
(4)(*4)+12 = 20

***Also note the AC listed earlier for the Barbarian was without hastes +2. He actually has 21 AC when that's accounted for.

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 08:26 PM
*Not sure if you seen my note about the fighter originally moving up to be 120ft away (forgot to initially note it from focusing on the attack rolls, but he couldn't have attacked otherwise). So he's probably 90 as well.

The Barbarian Rogue using cunning action to dash (he is hasted so can now move 160ft this turn). He moves up to the Lich and attacks twice with his extra attack and once with haste.

(3)(*1)+12 = 16
(19)(*4)+12 = 35
(4)(*4)+12 = 20

***Also note the AC listed earlier for the Barbarian was without hastes +2. He actually has 20 AC when that's accounted for.
Btw, you can go ahead and roll damage and attack rolls at once, I don't mind.

For her Mirror Image spell:
[2] doesn't hit the duplicate but she dodges out of the way.
[8]It hits one of the duplicates.
[18]It hits one of the duplicates.

2 duplicates are down but she still hasn't been hit.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 08:28 PM
Btw, you can go ahead and roll damage and attack rolls at once, I don't mind.

For her Mirror Image spell:
[2] doesn't hit the duplicate but she dodges out of the way.
[8]It hits one of the duplicates.
[18]It hits one of the duplicates.

2 duplicates are down but she still hasn't been hit.

I will in the future. I don't think damage rolls mattered at all in this instance.

I'm never sure if she has a lair/legendary action shes going to use, try to let me know if i'm good to go on to the next PC.

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 08:31 PM
I will in the future. I don't think damage rolls mattered at all in this instance.

I'm never sure if she has a lair/legendary action shes going to use, try to let me know if i'm good to go on to the next PC.
Alright, you're good to go for the cleric next.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 08:33 PM
Cleric moves forward toward the Lich, should be 90 ft away and casts silence behind the barbarian.

*Ending Bless

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 08:43 PM
Alright, you're good to go for your next character, the wizard.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 08:47 PM
Alright, you're good to go for your next character, the wizard.

To make things a little quicker I have a couple of positioning questions.

Can the Wizard move to a position where he can see the Lich?
Can the Fighter move to a position where he can attack the Lich?

Asisreo1
2021-09-12, 08:54 PM
To make things a little quicker I have a couple of positioning questions.

Can the Wizard move to a position where he can see the Lich?
Can the Fighter move to a position where he can attack the Lich?
You can get up to half-cover visibility from the pillars, but you would need to be at least 100ft away by moving to the side.

Frogreaver
2021-09-12, 08:56 PM
You can get up to half-cover visibility from the pillars, but you would need to be at least 100ft away by moving to the side.

I'm assuming if the Wizard Dashes and Misty Steps he can get LOS and be maybe 30ft away from the Lich? If so that's what he does.

I guess with his action he's going to use ray of frost.

Attack (13)+10 = 23
Damage (5)(7)(6) = 18

Scratch the Ray of Frost - had used it to dash... :smallmad:

End of Wizard
Turn awaiting confirmation on Lair/Legendary actions.

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 08:12 AM
I'm assuming if the Wizard Dashes and Misty Steps he can get LOS and be maybe 30ft away from the Lich? If so that's what he does.

I guess with his action he's going to use ray of frost.

Attack (13)+10 = 23
Damage (5)(7)(6) = 18

Scratch the Ray of Frost - had used it to dash... :smallmad:

End of Wizard
Turn awaiting confirmation on Lair/Legendary actions.
Yep, that's alright. You're now 30ft away from the Lich and its now the Fighter's turn.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 09:29 AM
Yep, that's alright. You're now 30ft away from the Lich and its now the Fighter's turn.

Fighter moves to that position 100ft away that you previously mentioned and attacks with action surge and bonus action attack (no superiority dice)

Attack
(9)+10 = 19
(10)+10 = 20
(10)+10 = 20
(14)+10 = 24
(1)+10 = 11
(13)+10 = 23
(12)+10 = 22

Damage (for all attacks but the 1 auto miss)
(5)+18 = 23
(1)+18 = 19
(6)+18 = 24
(1)+18 = 19
(1)+18 = 19
(3)+18 = 21

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 07:57 PM
Fighter moves to that position 100ft away that you previously mentioned and attacks with action surge and bonus action attack (no superiority dice)

Attack
(9)+10 = 19
(10)+10 = 20
(10)+10 = 20
(14)+10 = 24
(1)+10 = 11
(13)+10 = 23
(12)+10 = 22

Damage (for all attacks but the 1 auto miss)
(5)+18 = 23
(1)+18 = 19
(6)+18 = 24
(1)+18 = 19
(1)+18 = 19
(3)+18 = 21
Sorry for my absence. I'd also like to mention how stupid I feel because I shot myself in the foot, figuratively of course. I mentioned I'd play smart but I made a mistake that kinda ruined the point of the exercise. I said I'd play like a smart DM but I completely forgot what a crucial ability did and I'm definitely paying the price now. Oh well, maybe I can retry with someone else if you're, understandably, not willing to try again. I'm not completely out of the game yet, but this mistake definitely put me in this current predicament and I'm still beating myself up over it lol.

Anyways, putting that aside, back to the game.

Five of the arrows puncture her leathery skin. A disgusting gray ichor spews from her mouth. She says something, but she's silenced. She definitely doesn't look amused, though.

She points at the wizard and suddenly, a shadowy apparition appears behind them. Make a constitution saving throw for the wizard.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 09:35 PM
Sorry for my absence. I'd also like to mention how stupid I feel because I shot myself in the foot, figuratively of course. I mentioned I'd play smart but I made a mistake that kinda ruined the point of the exercise. I said I'd play like a smart DM but I completely forgot what a crucial ability did and I'm definitely paying the price now. Oh well, maybe I can retry with someone else if you're, understandably, not willing to try again. I'm not completely out of the game yet, but this mistake definitely put me in this current predicament and I'm still beating myself up over it lol.

Anyways, putting that aside, back to the game.

Five of the arrows puncture her leathery skin. A disgusting gray ichor spews from her mouth. She says something, but she's silenced. She definitely doesn't look amused, though.

She points at the wizard and suddenly, a shadowy apparition appears behind them. Make a constitution saving throw for the wizard.

No problem. We can run the same fight a 2nd time after.

Constitution Saving throw (15)+9 = 24

Let me know when it's the clerics turn.

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 09:41 PM
No problem. We can run the same fight a 2nd time after.

Constitution Saving throw (15)+9 = 24

Let me know when it's the clerics turn.
I won't show the entire roll, but it was 15d6 necrotic damage on the wizard, rolled [42] and took half.

So your wizard takes 21 necrotic damage.

She then gazes frighteningly at the barbarian, roll a Wisdom save for the barbarian.

I'm doing this because her tactics change based on whether these things hit or miss.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 09:48 PM
I won't show the entire roll, but it was 15d6 necrotic damage on the wizard, rolled [42] and took half.

So your wizard takes 21 necrotic damage.

She then gazes frighteningly at the barbarian, roll a Wisdom save for the barbarian.

I'm doing this because her tactics change based on whether these things hit or miss.

No problem. I trust your running fairly.

Wis save (19)+5 = 24

Dang I'm getting some good saves.

By the way, let me know if something is a spell as the wizard may attempt to counterspell it.

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 09:57 PM
No problem. I trust your running fairly.

Wis save (19)+5 = 24

Dang I'm getting some good saves.

By the way, let me know if something is a spell as the wizard may attempt to counterspell it.
I'll let you know if a spell comes up.

For now, though, she's visibly annoyed. She takes the dodge action and moves within 10ft of the wizard. You can make your opportunity attack against her from the Barbarian.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 09:59 PM
I'll let you know if a spell comes up.

For now, though, she's visibly annoyed. She takes the dodge action and moves within 10ft of the wizard. You can make your opportunity attack against her from the Barbarian.

(9)(4)+12 = 16

Pretty sure the Barbarian Misses

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 10:09 PM
(9)(4)+12 = 16

Pretty sure the Barbarian Misses
They do, its now the cleric's turn.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 10:15 PM
They do, its now the cleric's turn.

Barbarian is after Lich in iniative and then Cleric last.

Barbarian moves to the Lich and attacks him the first attack is a grapple attempt

(17)+14 = 31 ...I'm pretty sure that grapples her

He then drags her back into the silence

He then attacks her twice (has 3 attack because haste)

(4)(5)+12 = 16 (Misses)
(9)(13)+12 = 21

Damage for the presumable hit
(2)+7 = 9

***Note the wizard couldn't have failed the DC 10 Concentration save caused by the 21 damage as he has a +9 to Con saves.

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 10:30 PM
Barbarian is after Lich in iniative and then Cleric last.

Barbarian moves to the Lich and attacks him the first attack is a grapple attempt

(17)+14 = 31 ...I'm pretty sure that grapples her

He then drags her back into the silence

He then attacks her twice (has 3 attack because haste)

(4)(5)+12 = 16 (Misses)
(9)(13)+12 = 21

Damage for the presumable hit
(2)+7 = 9

***Note the wizard couldn't have failed the DC 10 Concentration save caused by the 21 damage as he has a +9 to Con saves.
The lich casts shield, protecting her from the second blow which would have hit her. Next, she aims a Ray of Frost at the wizard, her aim is shaky due to the barbarian grappling her.

[11][18]+12=23

The damage is [5]+[5]+[4]+[7] = 21.

You are free to counterspell either spell.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 10:33 PM
The lich casts shield, protecting her from the second blow which would have hit her. Next, she aims a Ray of Frost at the wizard, her aim is shaky due to the barbarian grappling her.

[11][18]+12=23

The damage is [5]+[5]+[4]+[7] = 21.

You are free to counterspell either spell.

Just making sure you saw. He dragged her back into the zone of silence before continuing his attacks.

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 10:37 PM
Just making sure you saw. He dragged her back into the zone of silence before continuing his attacks.
Missed that. One of the cons of doing ToTM. Meh, instead she uses her gaze on the rogue again. Make another wisdom save.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 10:39 PM
Missed that. One of the cons of doing ToTM. Meh, instead she uses her gaze on the rogue again. Make another wisdom save.

I like TOTM much better than a grid and token/mini (but TOTM works better live i think)

(1)+5 = 6 Failed Save

Asisreo1
2021-09-13, 10:58 PM
I like TOTM much better than a grid and token/mini (but TOTM works better live i think)

(1)+5 = 6 Failed Save
Ah, it doesn't matter. You saved once and its an effect that you're immune to for 24 hours after a success. Grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter, though.

Its the cleric's turn.

*sigh* I definitely should have sat down for this fight and not try multitasking it. Thought I could handle it but apparently I'm making too many dumb errors.

Frogreaver
2021-09-13, 11:04 PM
Ah, it doesn't matter. You saved once and its an effect that you're immune to for 24 hours after a success. Grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter, though.

Its the cleric's turn.

The cleric previously was about 90 ft away. If she can move to where she's 60 ft away she will do that and cast sacred flame. If not she'll dash and move as 35ft or whatever away.

Damage (6)(1)(5) = 12

Dex Save required DC 18

Asisreo1
2021-09-14, 06:55 AM
The cleric previously was about 90 ft away. If she can move to where she's 60 ft away she will do that and cast sacred flame. If not she'll dash and move as 35ft or whatever away.

Damage (6)(1)(5) = 12

Dex Save required DC 18
Yep, you're able to get within 60ft of her. She attempts to dodge the sacred flame.
[17]+3=20
And she narrowly avoids the descending flame.
It is now the wizard's turn.

Frogreaver
2021-09-14, 06:52 PM
Yep, you're able to get within 60ft of her. She attempts to dodge the sacred flame.
[17]+3=20
And she narrowly avoids the descending flame.

The wizard bursts into laughter seeing the Lich's predicament. He can barely compose himself enough to cast firebolt at the dodging Lich.

Attack
(8)(20)+10 = 18

Damage
(10)+(7)+(9) = 26

The Wizard's turn is over.

Asisreo1
2021-09-14, 07:46 PM
The wizard bursts into laughter seeing the Lich's predicament. He can barely compose himself enough to cast firebolt at the dodging Lich.

Attack
(8)(20)+10 = 18

Damage
(10)+(7)+(9) = 26

The Wizard's turn is over.
She casts counterspell at 6th level. You can counter-counter that.

Otherwise, its the Fighter's turn.

Sage Tellah
2021-09-14, 11:09 PM
Psst - You lose the benefits of the Dodge action while you're incapacitated or your Speed is 0 - Such as a result of being Grappled.
No effect yet, since all of the bad rolls have been the first ones. But it's notable.
(Yeah, you're discouraged from posting in these threads as a non-player, but this is less a campaign and more an experiment.)

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 05:27 AM
Psst - You lose the benefits of the Dodge action while you're incapacitated or your Speed is 0 - Such as a result of being Grappled.
No effect yet, since all of the bad rolls have been the first ones. But it's notable.
(Yeah, you're discouraged from posting in these threads as a non-player, but this is less a campaign and more an experiment.)

Thanks, I never realized 0 speed caused dodge to end.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 05:33 AM
She casts counterspell at 6th level. You can counter-counter that.

Otherwise, its the Fighter's turn.

No Counterspell. The Fighter Attacks 4 times. (** indicates precision attack)

Attacks
(17)+10 = 27
(16)+10 = 26
(4)(**8)+10 = 22
(20)+10 = 30

Damage
(1)+18 = 19
(4)+18 = 22
(2)+18 = 20
(2)+(2)+18 = 22

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 06:39 AM
Yep, I understood that. It was kinda annoying to be grappled.

Honestly, the worst of the combat was resilient giving a buff against weak saves and multiclassing which definitely gives access to good synergies of skills and features. Its a big reason why I don't allow multiclassing, since these builds would barely be possible otherwise.

The fighter did the damage, but it was the cleric's silence spell combined with the expertise on the rogue's athletics that prevented movement spells and, more importantly, shield. Wizard dispelled magic and held onto the hasted barbarian but otherwise didn't do too much.

I also made a huge mistake at the beginning of the fight, and I'm still not over it. I also scrambled a bit in the end. But actually, I'm satisfied with the fact she still died roughly by round 3, even if its at the start, considering my mistake. I knew she wasn't going to win, especially during this combat.

Frogreaver, if you're ready and if you'd like, we can start the next combat.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 06:51 AM
No Counterspell. The Fighter Attacks 4 times. (** indicates precision attack)

Attacks
(17)+10 = 27
(16)+10 = 26
(4)(**8)+10 = 22
(20)+10 = 30

Damage
(1)+18 = 19
(4)+18 = 22
(2)+18 = 20
(2)+(2)+18 = 22
The first arrow zips towards her, puncturing where her heart would be. The dark green ooze gushes out of the wound. She goes to her knees and hold the wound.

"Damn, mortals. My glory! My empire! Be warned, I'll crawl back from oblivion to exact my revenge on you petty warriors! You have my word!"

The next arrow hits her in her chest, knocking her back and releasing the latent necrotic energy that was keeping her undead. Her skin finally begins to fall off her yellow bones and dissolve into dust. The blood becomes a sickly leftover pile of sludge. The scent if horrifying, and yellow-green vapors emanate from her body.

That's the end of the combat. I'd like to apologize that I made a large error in the game and am asking you to replay, considering I spent some of your time. I'm still satisfied with the combat, though. Well played!

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 07:37 AM
The first arrow zips towards her, puncturing where her heart would be. The dark green ooze gushes out of the wound. She goes to her knees and hold the wound.

"Damn, mortals. My glory! My empire! Be warned, I'll crawl back from oblivion to exact my revenge on you petty warriors! You have my word!"

The next arrow hits her in her chest, knocking her back and releasing the latent necrotic energy that was keeping her undead. Her skin finally begins to fall off her yellow bones and dissolve into dust. The blood becomes a sickly leftover pile of sludge. The scent if horrifying, and yellow-green vapors emanate from her body.

That's the end of the combat. I'd like to apologize that I made a large error in the game and am asking you to replay, considering I spent some of your time. I'm still satisfied with the combat, though. Well played!

Thanks and it's No problem. One of the hardest things to do as DM is running characters you aren't familiar with mechanically. That's one reason I chose characters I'd played before (not this high of level but it helps). I'd like to rerun it as well. She's a Lich, she's supposed to come back afterall ;)

I'll go ahead and roll initiatives.

Archer (5)+5 = 10
Barbarian (7)+2 = 9
Wizard (8)+2 = 10
Cleric (18)+2 = 20

Can I ask how you are going to handle the tied initiatives?

Oh and feel free to change up initial buff spells or anything. I don't plan to with my team, but your not beholden to make any of the same choices this time around.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 07:57 AM
Thanks and it's No problem. One of the hardest things to do as DM is running characters you aren't familiar with mechanically. That's one reason I chose characters I'd played before (not this high of level but it helps). I'd like to rerun it as well. She's a Lich, she's supposed to come back afterall ;)

I'll go ahead and roll initiatives.

Archer (5)+5 = 10
Barbarian (7)+2 = 9
Wizard (8)+2 = 10
Cleric (18)+2 = 20

Can I ask how you are going to handle the tied initiatives?

Oh and feel free to change up initial buff spells or anything. I don't plan to with my team, but your not beholden to make any of the same choices this time around.
Her initiative is [15]+3=18. Its been a while since I ran an unmodified lich.

I always do ties: if its P-on-P, they get to decide (its your choice). If its P-on-DM, the player always goes first. Lair actions lose initiative, always.

Okay, so starting again.

At the back of the throne room, there is an undead woman. She is leaning back on the chair, an illusion of three duplicates of her are shifting and moving around her, as if you're looking at her with double-vision. A faintly shimmering barrier surrounds her.

"Ah yes, my guests. I've been expecting you. Congratulations on making it this far. As a reward, I will feed your souls to my new phylactery once its done and your bodies will serve me for eternity."

She stands up and gets in a combative stance. She's ready to fight!

Its the cleric's turn.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 08:09 AM
Her initiative is [15]+3=18. Its been a while since I ran an unmodified lich.

I always do ties: if its P-on-P, they get to decide (its your choice). If its P-on-DM, the player always goes first. Lair actions lose initiative, always.

Okay, so starting again.

At the back of the throne room, there is an undead woman. She is leaning back on the chair, an illusion of three duplicates of her are shifting and moving around her, as if you're looking at her with double-vision. A faintly shimmering barrier surrounds her.

"Ah yes, my guests. I've been expecting you. Congratulations on making it this far. As a reward, I will feed your souls to my new phylactery once its done and your bodies will serve me for eternity."

She stands up and gets in a combative stance. She's ready to fight!

Its the cleric's turn.

Cleric casts sanctuary on the wizard. She takes the dodge Action and moves forward 30 ft. Her turn is over.

Not that it changes much but she is a dwarf so it’s only 25ft.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 08:19 AM
Cleric casts sanctuary on the wizard. She takes the dodge Action and moves forward 30 ft. Her turn is over.
Energy zips into the lich as a lair action. It seems she's recovered some of her magical essence.

She grins. "Now, let the flames of the underworld free you from your life!"

She casts Fireball at 5th-level. Is it fair to say everyone's within the AoE of this fireball?

Have everyone make a dexterity saving throw, with the cleric having advantage due to their dodge action. They take 31 damage on a failure, with 15 damage on success. (Man, will I ever roll damage above the average?)

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 08:52 AM
Energy zips into the lich as a lair action. It seems she's recovered some of her magical essence.

She grins. "Now, let the flames of the underworld free you from your life!"

She casts Fireball at 5th-level. Is it fair to say everyone's within the AoE of this fireball?

Have everyone make a dexterity saving throw, with the cleric having advantage due to their dodge action. They take 31 damage on a failure, with 15 damage on success. (Man, will I ever roll damage above the average?)

Fighter (14)(2*)+5 = 21 (believe pass)
Wizard (19)(4*)+2 = 25 (believe pass)
Cleric (2)(3)(2*)+2 = 7 (believe fail)
Barbarian (15)(14)(4*)+2 = 21 (believe pass) ****Had advantage due to level 2 class feature

Fighter takes 15 damage
Wizard takes 15 damage (not enough to fail concentration save)
Cleric takes 31 damage. DC 15 Concentration Save (3)(4*)+9 = 16. Passes save.
Barbarian takes 15 damage

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 09:23 AM
Fighter (14)(2*)+5 = 21 (believe pass)
Wizard (19)(4*)+2 = 25 (believe pass)
Cleric (2)(3)(2*)+2 = 7 (believe fail)
Barbarian (15)(14)(4*)+2 = 21 (believe pass) ****Had advantage due to level 2 class feature

Fighter takes 15 damage
Wizard takes 15 damage (not enough to fail concentration save)
Cleric takes 31 damage. DC 15 Concentration Save (3)(4*)+9 = 16. Passes save.
Barbarian takes 15 damage
Alright, you can have either the archer or the wizard go next (the order will be locked for subsequent rounds).

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 09:32 AM
Alright, you can have either the archer or the wizard go next (the order will be locked for subsequent rounds).

Wizard goes.

He walks up behind the cleric (assuming costs 20 ft of movement) and casts dimension door teleporting them both to adjacent with the Lich’s side.

Cleric glares at him saying, But our friends needed healed!

Wizard replied, just stop Ms Lich from doing any more harm and you can heal them after.

The wizard then uses his remaining movement to get to the other side of the Lich.

The wizards turn is over.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 09:42 AM
Wizard goes.

He walks up behind the cleric (assuming costs 20 ft of movement) and casts dimension door teleporting them both to adjacent with the Lich’s side.

Cleric glares at him saying, But our friends needed healed!

Wizard replied, just stop Ms Lich from doing any more harm and you can heal them after.

The wizard then uses his remaining movement to get to the other side of the Lich.

The wizards turn is over.
"What foolishness is this?" The lich looks quite a bit surprised to see you surround her.

She goes to touch the wizard.

[16]+12=28
The cold touch of the lich chills the wizard to his very bones. He must make a DC 18 consitution saving throw or be paralyzed. He also takes [6]+[6]+[4]=16 cold damage. *I had used the wrong dice.

It is then the archer's turn.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 09:50 AM
"What foolishness is this?" The lich looks quite a bit surprised to see you surround her.

She goes to touch the wizard.

[16]+12=28
The cold touch of the lich chills the wizard to his very bones. He must make a DC 18 consitution saving throw or be paralyzed. He also takes [3]+[8]+[4]=15 cold damage.

It is then the archer's turn.

The wizard smiles knowing he still has sanctuary upon him. Roll a wisdom save. DC 18. On a fail you can target the cleric (at disadvantage if this is an attack due to dodge)

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 10:06 AM
The wizard smiles knowing he still has sanctuary upon him. Roll a wisdom save. DC 18. On a fail you can target the cleric (at disadvantage if this is an attack due to dodge)
[18]+9=27 passes the wisdom save.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 10:11 AM
[18]+9=27 passes the wisdom save.

(9)(*4)+9 = 22 passes the save

Wizard has now taken a total of 31 damage. Losing Concentration due to this attack was never in jeopardy.

The fighter will move forward 30ft and attack with action surge. Using -5/+10 on all attacks. Will post the attacks in a moment.

Attacks
(10)(4*)+10 = 24
(18)(3*)+10 = 31
(5)(2*)+10 = 17
(17)(1*)+10 = 28
(10)(2*)+10 = 22
(17)(4*)+10 = 31
(14)(1*)+10 = 25

On one of the attacks that hits and he uses maneuvering attack allowing the Barbarian to use his reaction and move half his speed which is 40ft due to haste. Due to the mirror images assume this is used on the 2nd to last attack as I think it's possible it could target 1 of them. The Barbarian does this and moves 40ft closer to the lich.

Damage Rolls in order
(6)+18 = 24
(1)+18 = 19
(2)+18 = 20
(1)+18 = 19
(6)+18 = 24
(3)+(4*)+18 = 25
(2)+18 = 20

Don't forget the concentration checks for the hits assuming she's concentrating on anything.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 10:34 AM

Wizard has now taken a total of 31 damage. Losing Concentration due to this attack was never in jeopardy.

The fighter will move forward 30ft and attack with action surge. Using -5/+10 on all attacks. Will post the attacks in a moment.

Attacks
(10)(4*)+10 = 24
(18)(3*)+10 = 31
(5)(2*)+10 = 17
(17)(1*)+10 = 28
(10)(2*)+10 = 22
(17)(4*)+10 = 31
(14)(1*)+10 = 25

On one of the attacks that hits and he uses maneuvering attack allowing the Barbarian to use his reaction and move half his speed which is 40ft due to haste. Due to the mirror images assume this is used on the 2nd to last attack as I think it's possible it could target 1 of them. The Barbarian does this and moves 40ft closer to the lich.

Damage Rolls in order
(6)+18 = 24
(1)+18 = 19
(2)+18 = 20
(1)+18 = 19
(6)+18 = 24
(3)+(4*)+18 = 25
(2)+18 = 20

Don't forget the concentration checks for the hits assuming she's concentrating on anything.
Roll for duplicates:
[9]The first arrow hits a duplicate.
[15]the second arrow hits a duplicate
[17]the third arrow hits a duplicate

The fourth arrow hits for 19 damage.

As the fifth arrow launches, she casts a 5th-level shield on herself. Deflecting the arrow.

The 6th and 7th arrow hits for 56 damage. The lich then casts Ray of Frost at the fighter, with disadvantage on the fighter, because of the cleric and wizard.

[3][6]+12=15, assuming that misses.

She passes the checks for the 4th and 7th arrow automatically.

6th arrow conc. Check: [19]+10=29

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 10:40 AM
Roll for duplicates:
[9]The first arrow hits a duplicate.
[15]the second arrow hits a duplicate
[17]the third arrow hits a duplicate

The fourth arrow hits for 19 damage.

As the fifth arrow launches, she casts a 5th-level shield on herself. Deflecting the arrow.

The 6th and 7th arrow hits for 56 damage. The lich then casts Ray of Frost at the fighter, with disadvantage on the fighter, because of the cleric and wizard.

[3][6]+12=15, assuming that misses.

She passes the checks for the 4th and 7th arrow automatically.

6th arrow conc. Check: [19]+10=29

The cleric not knowing it's a 5th level shield casts counterspell on it (ring of spell storing). DC 15. (12)+5 = 17. She counterspells the shield. (Should lead to an additional attack or 2 that hits her).

The fighter is missed by Ray of Frost.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 10:49 AM
The cleric not knowing it's a 5th level shield casts counterspell on it (ring of spell storing). DC 15. (12)+5 = 17. She counterspells the shield. (Should lead to an additional attack or 2 that hits her).

The fighter is missed by Ray of Frost.
The fifth attack hits as well, doing an extra 24 damage. Its the Barbarian's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-15, 10:59 AM
Yep, I understood that. It was kinda annoying to be grappled.

Honestly, the worst of the combat was resilient giving a buff against weak saves and multiclassing which definitely gives access to good synergies of skills and features. Its a big reason why I don't allow multiclassing, since these builds would barely be possible otherwise.

The fighter did the damage, but it was the cleric's silence spell combined with the expertise on the rogue's athletics that prevented movement spells and, more importantly, shield. Wizard dispelled magic and held onto the hasted barbarian but otherwise didn't do too much.

I also made a huge mistake at the beginning of the fight, and I'm still not over it. I also scrambled a bit in the end. But actually, I'm satisfied with the fact she still died roughly by round 3, even if its at the start, considering my mistake. I knew she wasn't going to win, especially during this combat.

Frogreaver, if you're ready and if you'd like, we can start the next combat.

After your done I have a table who's party is at lv 13 that doesn't have multiclassing as an option, don't have access to spell storing rings, and the only "full' caster is a warlock so it would be a completely different approach to the same challenge. Could easily fit them up to be closer to RAW and toss them out using tactics they regularly use. I'm really curious because I almost never use single target combat encounters.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 11:10 AM
The fifth attack hits as well, doing an extra 24 damage. Its the Barbarian's turn.

80 Damage total done to the Lich. Nice!.

The Barbarian uses Cunning Action to bonus action Dash. He moves 110ft up to the Lich and Attacks. His first attack is a grapple (8)+14 -> (10)+14 = 24 from Reliable Talent.

He then makes 2 attacks (1 from extra attack, one from haste)
(18)+12 = 30
(18)+12 = 30

Damage
(1)(1)(2)(3)(2)(3)(5)+7 = 24
(5)+7 = 12

Now 116 Damage Total done to the Lich.

Concentration Check if required

He then drags the Lich with his remaining 50ft movement to a point 5ft away from the Wizard and at least 5ft away from the Cleric.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 11:43 AM

Ah, quick note. The wizard is no longer under the effects of bless.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 11:52 AM
80 Damage total done to the Lich. Nice!.

The Barbarian uses Cunning Action to bonus action Dash. He moves 110ft up to the Lich and Attacks. His first attack is a grapple (8)+14 -> (10)+14 = 24 from Reliable Talent.

He then makes 2 attacks (1 from extra attack, one from haste)
(18)+12 = 30
(18)+12 = 30

Damage
(1)(1)(2)(3)(2)(3)(5)+7 = 24
(5)+7 = 12

Now 116 Damage Total done to the Lich.

Concentration Check if required

He then drags the Lich with his remaining 50ft movement to a point 5ft away from the Wizard and at least 5ft away from the Cleric.
So, when he enters the shimmering sphere, he doesn't have enough movement to get close enough to grapple or perform melee attacks because haste becomes suppressed. By my calculations, that would be 40ft from the base movement, 80 from haste, and 160ft from CA dash. But when he enters the sphere, haste undoubles your speed and he goes back down to 80ft.

So he stops roughly 10ft from the lich. He still has his action, though.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 11:56 AM
Ah, quick note. The wizard is no longer under the effects of bless.

Going to have to explain this a bit more. Like when it happened and if the cleric still is. Etc.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 12:00 PM
Going to have to explain this a bit more. Like when it happened and if the cleric still is. Etc.
Globe of Invulnerability is the spell that the shimmering barrier represents. Spells cast outside the barrier doesn't effect any creature inside it. Since bless was cast outside the globe but the wizard is in it, the wizard is not affected by bless. Note, it doesn't say anything about spells cast from within the sphere targeting creatures within the sphere, which is why the cleric's counterspell was legal.

The cleric is also no longer affected by the bless spell. The globe doesn't end the spells, though, so the barbarian and fighter are still under its effects (until they move inside). Its also why the Barbarian is no longer under haste's effects, but isn't incurring a penalty.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 12:23 PM
Globe of Invulnerability is the spell that the shimmering barrier represents. Spells cast outside the barrier doesn't effect any creature inside it. Since bless was cast outside the globe but the wizard is in it, the wizard is not affected by bless. Note, it doesn't say anything about spells cast from within the sphere targeting creatures within the sphere, which is why the cleric's counterspell was legal.

The cleric is also no longer affected by the bless spell. The globe doesn't end the spells, though, so the barbarian and fighter are still under its effects (until they move inside). Its also why the Barbarian is no longer under haste's effects, but isn't incurring a penalty.

Thanks. Also apologies if my last post sounded hostile I didn’t mean it to. Was just really confused.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 12:35 PM
For the barbarian, I just want to say It’s possible his turn may have unfolded differently had I known the wizard was not being affected by bless - as I may have extrapolated it would end the effects of other spells as well.

For example, using haste’s action to dash again before entering the field would have given me enough movement to get there and still grapple and make the first attack.

That said, even if you would allow it, let’s not retcon as it’s not guaranteed I would have done that and as such it doesn’t feel in the spirit of the competition.

Instead the barbarian dashes and becomes adjacent to the Lich.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 12:54 PM
For the barbarian, I just want to say It’s possible his turn may have unfolded differently had I known the wizard was not being affected by bless - as I may have extrapolated it would end the effects of other spells as well.

For example, using haste’s action to dash again before entering the field would have given me enough movement to get there and still grapple and make the first attack.

That said, even if you would allow it, let’s not retcon as it’s not guaranteed I would have done that and as such it doesn’t feel in the spirit of the competition.

Instead the barbarian dashes and becomes adjacent to the Lich.
It is now the cleric's turn.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 01:02 PM

He drops bless and casts silence on top of the Lich. His turn is over.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 05:19 PM
He drops bless and casts silence on top of the Lich. His turn is over.
The lich looks in the direction of the cleric, a shadowy entity appears before him and attacks. Make a constitution saving throw, taking 54 necrotic damage on a failure or 27 on a success.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 06:20 PM
The lich looks in the direction of the cleric, a shadowy entity appears before him and attacks. Make a constitution saving throw, taking 54 necrotic damage on a failure or 27 on a success.

Fails the Constitution Save (3)+9 = 12 Taking 54 Damage. Cleric has taken a total of 54+31 = 85 Damage

Concentration Save (5)+9 = 14. DC Req 27. Silence is down.

I also want to note I had miscalculated Life Cleric Total Life. I used HP = 8+5*15 +16*4 = 147 HP

But it should be HP = 8+5*15+4*16+1*16 (from Hill Dwarf) = 163 + 20 (from level 5 aid) = 183 HP

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 06:26 PM
Fails the Constitution Save (3)+9 = 12 Taking 54 Damage. Cleric has taken a total of 54+31 = 85 Damage

Concentration Save (5)+9 = 14. DC Req 27. Silence is down.
The lich looks into the soul of the wizard. The beading light of the necrotic energy beams from her eye sockets and forms a chilling glaze as she utters one word which breaks the silence. "Die."

She casts Power Word Kill on the wizard. The wizard isn't affected by sanctuary anymore.

Wait, hold on. I need to check something.

Ok. I made a calculation error. He instead casts Disintegration at 7th-level on the wizard. They must make a dexterity saving throw, taking [57]+40 = 97 damage on a failure.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 06:34 PM
The lich looks into the soul of the wizard. The beading light of the necrotic energy beams from her eye sockets and forms a chilling glaze as she utters one word which breaks the silence. "Die."

She casts Power Word Kill on the wizard. The wizard isn't affected by sanctuary anymore.

Wait, hold on. I need to check something.

Ok. I made a calculation error. He instead casts Disintegration at 7th-level on the wizard.

(9)+4 = 13. He fails the save. Taking full damage (whatever that is).

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 06:37 PM
(9)+4 = 13. He fails the save. Taking full damage (whatever that is).
I'm going to assume he fails the concentration check. The lich then moves towards a pillar and goes prone.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 06:38 PM
I'm going to assume he fails the concentration check. The lich then moves towards a pillar and goes prone.

Probably but can't say for sure till I know the damage.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 06:41 PM
Wizard has taken 97+31 = 128 Damage. He had 130 Hp + 20 From Aid. Only 22 Remaining.

There is no way he could have passed the concentration save.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 06:42 PM
Wizard has taken 97+31 = 128 Damage. He had 130 Hp + 20 From Aid. Only 22 Remaining.

There is no way he could have passed the concentration save.
It is now the wizard's turn. Also the lich ends her concentration on Globe of Invulnerability, so Sanctuary is now back online.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 06:48 PM

Undeterred the Wizard Walks up to the Lich and casts a level 5 magic missile at her and overchannels it.

I normally would only count the Empowered Evocation ability as giving magic missile +5 damage and so I'll do the same here.

(4)+1 per bolt = 5*7 + 5 = 40 Damage.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 06:53 PM
Undeterred the Wizard Walks up to the Lich and casts a level 5 magic missile at her and overchannels it.

I normally would only count the Empowered Evocation ability as giving magic missile +5 damage and so I'll do the same here.

(4)+1 per bolt = 5*7 + 5 = 40 Damage.
She casts a level 5 shield.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 06:56 PM
She casts a level 5 shield.

Wizard Counterspells. If he would know it's a level 5 shield he would use a level 5 slot. If not it would be a level 3 slot with a check of (8)+5 = 13

I'll let you make that call based on how you normally play.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 07:02 PM
Wizard Counterspells. If he would know it's a level 5 shield he would use a level 5 slot. If not it would be a level 3 slot with a check of (8)+5 = 13

I'll let you make that call based on how you normally play.
Normally, something upcasted without an obvious effect wouldn't be noticed, in my play. An upcasted fireball would seem to be a more powerful fireball but an upcasted mirror image looks exactly the same.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 07:04 PM
Normally, something upcasted without an obvious effect wouldn't be noticed, in my play. An upcasted fireball would seem to be a more powerful fireball but an upcasted mirror image looks exactly the same.

Then it's a failed counterspell attempt.

Getting ready for the Fighters turn, can he move to a place where he can attack the Lich?

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 07:08 PM
Then it's a failed counterspell attempt.

Getting ready for the Fighters turn, can he move to a place where he can attack the Lich?
From that distance and since the lich was trying to get away, you can do so but with half-cover. I believe sharpshooter nullifies that anyways, though. In short, yes you can get an angle on her.

Oh, but before the fighter's turn, the lich uses her touch on the wizard. Give me a sec to roll it out:
[16]+12=28

They take 8 damage and must do another constitution saving throw.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 07:09 PM
By the way, sanctuary ended upon the magic missile.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 07:13 PM
From that distance and since the lich was trying to get away, you can do so but with half-cover. I believe sharpshooter nullifies that anyways, though. In short, yes you can get an angle on her.

Oh, but before the fighter's turn, the lich uses her touch on the wizard. Give me a sec to roll it out:
[16]+12=28

They take 8 damage and must do another constitution saving throw.

(16)+9 = 25. Believe that's a pass. Wizard is down to 16 hp.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 07:17 PM
Assuming it's the Fighters turn.

Fighter moves to shooting position and attacks (** = precision attack)

Attacks
(3)(19)(10**)+10 = 23
(10)(1)+10 = Miss
(11)(16)(4**)+10 = 25
(20)(10)(1**)+10 = 21

Damage
(3)+18 = 21
Miss
(2)+18 = 20
(3)+18 = 21

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 07:35 PM
Assuming it's the Fighters turn.

Fighter moves to shooting position and attacks (** = precision attack)

Attacks
(3)(19)(10**)+10 = 23
(10)(1)+10 = Miss
(11)(16)(4**)+10 = 25
(20)(10)(1**)+10 = 21

Damage
(3)+18 = 21
Miss
(2)+18 = 20
(3)+18 = 21
Alright, the 4th attack misses so the lich takes 41 damage from the attack. She then targets the wizard with Ray of Frost, at disadvantage.
[14][11]+12=23

[5]+[1]+[4]+[8]=18 damage

Next its the barbarian's turn, but they are reeling from their haste effect.

Next, its the cleric's turn.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 08:14 PM
Alright, the 4th attack misses so the lich takes 41 damage from the attack. She then targets the wizard with Ray of Frost, at disadvantage.
[14][11]+12=23

[5]+[1]+[4]+[8]=18 damage

Next its the barbarian's turn, but they are reeling from their haste effect.

Next, its the cleric's turn.

Ray of Frost hits and downs the wizard.

Cleric positions herself as best as she can to hit the most party members with Mass Healing Word (making sure she can hit the wizard). She then uses Channel Divinity Restore Life and Heals the Wizard to 75 hp. She then uses a level 7 mass healing word restoring (3)(2)(2)(4)(2)+14 = 27 to the everyone within 60ft and 36 hp to herself.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 09:03 PM
Ray of Frost hits and downs the wizard.

Cleric positions herself as best as she can to hit the most party members with Mass Healing Word (making sure she can hit the wizard). She then uses Channel Divinity Restore Life and Heals the Wizard to 75 hp. She then uses a level 7 mass healing word restoring (3)(2)(2)(4)(2)+14 = 27 to the everyone within 60ft and 36 hp to herself.
Alright. Please make a constitution saving throw for the cleric.

Also, you were able to position yourself where the barbarian, wizard, and cleric are in the Mass Healing Word area.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 09:08 PM
Alright. Please make a constitution saving throw for the cleric.

Also, you were able to position yourself where the barbarian, wizard, and cleric are in the Mass Healing Word area.

(6)+9 = 15 Whatever it is she fails.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 09:23 PM
(6)+9 = 15 Whatever it is she fails.
A cord of necrotic energy links both you and the lich. You feel a strange yet hostile bond between her. Almost as if you can feel what she feels. She smirks. "Try to hurt me, and It'll hurt your church girl, heheh."

She then casts a 9th-level disintegrate on the cleric. Make a dexterity saving throw or take 67+40=107 force damage.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 09:31 PM
A cord of necrotic energy links both you and the lich. You feel a strange yet hostile bond between her. Almost as if you can feel what she feels. She smirks. "Try to hurt me, and It'll hurt your church girl, heheh."

She then casts a 9th-level disintegrate on the cleric. Make a dexterity saving throw or take 67+40=107 force damage.

Wizard Casts Level 4 counterspell (19)+5 = 24. Assuming you will try to counterspell the counterspell.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 09:38 PM
Wizard Casts Level 4 counterspell (19)+5 = 24. Assuming you will try to counterspell the counterspell.
Yep. I'd actually upcast the counterspell regardless of knowing its 4th level for the case anyone else would counterspell, but I'd feel a bit scummy if I did that so I'll just do the 3rd-level version.
[12]+5=17, so she successfully counterspells the counterspell. Let's see, I believe its the wizard's turn now (unless someone else intervenes).

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 09:45 PM
Yep. I'd actually upcast the counterspell regardless of knowing its 4th level for the case anyone else would counterspell, but I'd feel a bit scummy if I did that so I'll just do the 3rd-level version.
[12]+5=17, so she successfully counterspells the counterspell. Let's see, I believe its the wizard's turn now (unless someone else intervenes).

Cleric takes 107 damage. She is now at 27 hp.

The wizard yells enough. He stands up and uses his 8th level slot to magic missile

I always roll for each magic missile separately. I hope that is acceptable.

(19*Total)+10+5 = 34 Damage. Cleric takes half so she's at 10.

Asisreo1
2021-09-15, 10:27 PM
Cleric takes 107 damage. She is now at 27 hp.

The wizard yells enough. He stands up and uses his 8th level slot to magic missile

I always roll for each magic missile separately. I hope that is acceptable.

(19*Total)+10+5 = 34 Damage. Cleric takes half so she's at 10.
I thought you rolled and multiplied. That's what it appeared like last time. Well, if that's the case then she takes the magic missile and its enough to blast her back. The energy from her withered body fades and she lays dormant for the rest of her days.

Yeah, I think that combat was a bit more indicative of what I meant. The feat -5, +10 damage helped, though I'd probably contribute a good portion of the success with the resilient feat. It wasn't necessarily that it shone very brightly, but it made many of the spells and abilities that the lich had more difficult to land as they covered natural weaknesses that the lich would be able to exploit. I also kinda forgot they even existed in the game before the fight because I usually never play with feats. The lich's paralyzing touch is specifically for spellcasters that get too close, but its a hard sell when the potential to land it goes from 65-70% all the way down to 20-25%. The frightening gaze could keep the barbarian at bay, but the wisdom saves make that a bit more difficult to fulfill. Most of the off-turn stuff were constitution saving throws but everyone had almost as high of a constitution of a fighter or barbarian. Its why I don't like those feats, it makes those characters a bit less meaningful.

But speaking on the fighter and barbarian, the fighter was doing their job, staying away and attacking from range. Sharpshooter helped that range from being too close and XBOW XPERT let them get some more attacks in. It was less of the actual archer, though, and more of the support that the other characters brought. The lich is built to exploit weaknesses to bring the action economy back on his side, but there weren't any huge weaknesses outside of dexterity saves, which were really just HP effects and couldn't affect the action economy. Plus, I didn't have any off-turn tools to exploit dex saves, so even doing damage was a problem in most scenarios. The barbarian didn't get to do much damage in either trial, but they were annoying and the multiclassing athletics-grapple combo was strong. Usually, if a barbarian was trying to grapple me as a lich, I'd cast Plane Shift to just delete him from combat, but the cleric's silence really put a damper on that plan. The fact that they had expertise is what made it very powerful as it would take something like paralysis to get you off.

Clerics (and paladins) are a natural enemy to the lich. Moreso paladins because they have really good saves, shore up other character's weaknesses, and do really good damage when they hit. They, too, have a weakness but its not nearly as bad as other characters.

I think the arena is too large. The lich's most powerful spells don't get a chance to shine until round 2 and she needs all the action economy she can get. Ironically, the closer she is, the more dangerous she can be since the archer is busy being a distance fighter.

In the end, though, I never expected to "win." While it was considered "deadly" the odds were never in my favor. I was running a barebones lich against a group optimized against a lich's strengths and they had curated magic items and access to optional features I'd personally find poorly balanced. They also were fully recovered, which helped alot. Plus, your team is, unsurprisingly, much more well-coordinated than most players that I play with. I don't think most wizards would have brought the cleric along to stand next to the lich since they probably wouldn't have remembered the cleric had silence prepared and wouldn't have thought that having the cleric close was a good idea.

Although, I think it showed that a lich fight does have its interesting moments even when feats and stuff are enabled. Even the first fight had bits of interest, although I failed to make that one as difficult. But the combat for both versions were relatively short, which is a good thing. While it was a boss fight, I don't think that means it should drag on for longer than 5 rounds. It did knock a character out and put another at low health, which is exactly how I'd calibrate an effective boss battle.

You mentioned you had a PHB-RAW party you wanted to try out against the lich? I'm okay with running that if you'd like. Would be very interesting as having that fight might be able to showcase how the game is more balanced without the overlapping optional features.

Frogreaver
2021-09-15, 11:21 PM
I thought you rolled and multiplied. That's what it appeared like last time. Well, if that's the case then she takes the magic missile and its enough to blast her back. The energy from her withered body fades and she lays dormant for the rest of her days.

Yeah, I think that combat was a bit more indicative of what I meant. The feat -5, +10 damage helped, though I'd probably contribute a good portion of the success with the resilient feat. It wasn't necessarily that it shone very brightly, but it made many of the spells and abilities that the lich had more difficult to land as they covered natural weaknesses that the lich would be able to exploit. I also kinda forgot they even existed in the game before the fight because I usually never play with feats. The lich's paralyzing touch is specifically for spellcasters that get too close, but its a hard sell when the potential to land it goes from 65-70% all the way down to 20-25%. The frightening gaze could keep the barbarian at bay, but the wisdom saves make that a bit more difficult to fulfill. Most of the off-turn stuff were constitution saving throws but everyone had almost as high of a constitution of a fighter or barbarian. Its why I don't like those feats, it makes those characters a bit less meaningful.

But speaking on the fighter and barbarian, the fighter was doing their job, staying away and attacking from range. Sharpshooter helped that range from being too close and XBOW XPERT let them get some more attacks in. It was less of the actual archer, though, and more of the support that the other characters brought. The lich is built to exploit weaknesses to bring the action economy back on his side, but there weren't any huge weaknesses outside of dexterity saves, which were really just HP effects and couldn't affect the action economy. Plus, I didn't have any off-turn tools to exploit dex saves, so even doing damage was a problem in most scenarios. The barbarian didn't get to do much damage in either trial, but they were annoying and the multiclassing athletics-grapple combo was strong. Usually, if a barbarian was trying to grapple me as a lich, I'd cast Plane Shift to just delete him from combat, but the cleric's silence really put a damper on that plan. The fact that they had expertise is what made it very powerful as it would take something like paralysis to get you off.

Clerics (and paladins) are a natural enemy to the lich. Moreso paladins because they have really good saves, shore up other character's weaknesses, and do really good damage when they hit. They, too, have a weakness but its not nearly as bad as other characters.

I think the arena is too large. The lich's most powerful spells don't get a chance to shine until round 2 and she needs all the action economy she can get. Ironically, the closer she is, the more dangerous she can be since the archer is busy being a distance fighter.

In the end, though, I never expected to "win." While it was considered "deadly" the odds were never in my favor. I was running a barebones lich against a group optimized against a lich's strengths and they had curated magic items and access to optional features I'd personally find poorly balanced. They also were fully recovered, which helped alot. Plus, your team is, unsurprisingly, much more well-coordinated than most players that I play with. I don't think most wizards would have brought the cleric along to stand next to the lich since they probably wouldn't have remembered the cleric had silence prepared and wouldn't have thought that having the cleric close was a good idea.

Although, I think it showed that a lich fight does have its interesting moments even when feats and stuff are enabled. Even the first fight had bits of interest, although I failed to make that one as difficult. But the combat for both versions were relatively short, which is a good thing. While it was a boss fight, I don't think that means it should drag on for longer than 5 rounds. It did knock a character out and put another at low health, which is exactly how I'd calibrate an effective boss battle.

You mentioned you had a PHB-RAW party you wanted to try out against the lich? I'm okay with running that if you'd like. Would be very interesting as having that fight might be able to showcase how the game is more balanced without the overlapping optional features.

Previous time was a maximized magic missile with the wizards overchannel.

I think the primary differences between the fights was the follwing:
1. You started with more defensive buffs
2. You picked a better defensive concentration buff
3. The Cleric failed a very unclutch save where she lost concentration on silence that set up your high damage turn. If that save had been passed (and she had a 60% chance to do so) then silence would likely have stayed up which would have likely kept the wizard from being disintigrated and the barbarian from losing his turn. Really impressive how the fight went from nearly a cakewalk to very resource draining primarily based on failing that 1 save.
4. The issue with the surprise info about globe of invulnerability ending spell effects may very well have cost me a grapple and 24 damage early in the encounter. This would have been enough to kill the Lich before his last Lair Action, his last Turn, the Clerics last turn and Wizards last turn and that sequence was where a ton of the resource drain I experienced occurred.

On a side note, I'm still really impressed SS+CBE Fighters (that's where most of the damage I did came from in every fight). Also, the last fight really made me appreciate life clerics all over again. Being in a potentially dire situation and healing a character back for 2/3 of their hp from 0 is such a game changer.

Getting back to what we were testing, i feel the archer performed much better with the -5/+10 than he would have without it. The Lich did sometimes have defenses that helped her AC out, but they were hard to stay layered on enough to really slow down the -5/+10, maybe without a +3 weapon it could have.

I agree that resilient on the casters mattered more than -5/+10. Not sure if it ever mattered that much on the Barbarian and Fighter?

**Oh I also think I forgot to add the bonus to saves from the ring/cloak of protection quite a bit in the 2nd fight. I don't think it would have mattered on any of the saves though.

Last but not least, this was really fun, we should do it again sometime with other enemies and parties. Also, if you wanted to take a swing at the Lich yourself with a party I'd be happy to run her and let you pick a party.

stoutstien
2021-09-16, 05:07 AM

I had the PHB only party. If you like I could readjust them to remove the resilience feats from the casters because they do change the feel of them in challenges like this. I'd also say removal of the spell storing ring and +X type weapons as options would give you a better picture of what your looking for. Might as well look at those damage feats without a ton of DM fiat support.

It was a halfling thief, dwarf life cleric, human devotion pally, and elf evok wizard.

Asisreo1
2021-09-16, 07:34 AM
Previous time was a maximized magic missile with the wizards overchannel.

I think the primary differences between the fights was the follwing:
1. You started with more defensive buffs
2. You picked a better defensive concentration buff
3. The Cleric failed a very unclutch save where she lost concentration on silence that set up your high damage turn. If that save had been passed (and she had a 60% chance to do so) then silence would likely have stayed up which would have likely kept the wizard from being disintigrated and the barbarian from losing his turn. Really impressive how the fight went from nearly a cakewalk to very resource draining primarily based on failing that 1 save.
4. The issue with the surprise info about globe of invulnerability ending spell effects may very well have cost me a grapple and 24 damage early in the encounter. This would have been enough to kill the Lich before his last Lair Action, his last Turn, the Clerics last turn and Wizards last turn and that sequence was where a ton of the resource drain I experienced occurred.

On a side note, I'm still really impressed SS+CBE Fighters (that's where most of the damage I did came from in every fight). Also, the last fight really made me appreciate life clerics all over again. Being in a potentially dire situation and healing a character back for 2/3 of their hp from 0 is such a game changer.

Getting back to what we were testing, i feel the archer performed much better with the -5/+10 than he would have without it. The Lich did sometimes have defenses that helped her AC out, but they were hard to stay layered on enough to really slow down the -5/+10, maybe without a +3 weapon it could have.

I agree that resilient on the casters mattered more than -5/+10. Not sure if it ever mattered that much on the Barbarian and Fighter?

**Oh I also think I forgot to add the bonus to saves from the ring/cloak of protection quite a bit in the 2nd fight. I don't think it would have mattered on any of the saves though.

Last but not least, this was really fun, we should do it again sometime with other enemies and parties. Also, if you wanted to take a swing at the Lich yourself with a party I'd be happy to run her and let you pick a party.
Actually, the quantity of defensive buffs were the same in both fights. I changed the spell from a 4th-level invisibility (blech) to a 6th-level globe of invulnerability. Besides Mirror Image, I couldn't do anything extra for buffs, so it was just Mirror Image and Globe. Oh, actually you didn't know. I had a 4th-level mirror image up on the first fight but dispel magic took that away as well.

That failed save did turn the game around. Really, I was throwing out all kinds of game-changing saves and hoping one of them would stick. The touch I was throwing out was specifically to end the wizard's concentration and stun-lock him for at least 2 turns. At a certain point, I realized that the game was more about luck than I expected with resilient keeping effects from being nearly guaranteed to being likely to fail.

I felt bad about the globe of invulnerability thing. Typically, I don't mention everything about an opposing spell until it comes up and becomes obvious. I did forget your wizards and clerics were being affected because I didn't realize they were there, I was looking at the totals more than the buffs. Plus, Aid wouldn't have mattered and sanctuary wasn't immediately relevant so I just didn't realize that you were adding bless until it was too late.

I do also think the +3 weapons really helped the feat, with a +2 from archery, the feat essentially became a -0, +13 feat, which wasn't really a difficult choice. Maybe not letting +# weapons play would be more conducive to the trial I'm trying to create. I think it would be realistic that a player would come across maybe 1 or 2 +3 weapons at level 16, but I wouldn't just give them their most optimal weapons for their build as they would have had to take randomly rolled treasures.

It was fun. If I were to try the fight, I would put in some underrated classes in like the monk and sorcerer to display what they look like in-combat, even at high-levels.

I'm also tempted to have the next fight be either a tarrasque, vampire, mummy, or beholder (different party levels, of course). I don't nearly have as much respect for the vampire as the lich, though. Maybe a mummy, as they also fit the "glass cannon" type of fight.

Also, I hate playing wizards and the lich showcased a big reason why. Not only did I not have any good damage options without spells, but the counterspells, shield, and action micromanagement was a headache. It was also the huge spell list they had, some of which was somewhat redundant and a few of them were spells that had clauses and features outside of "do damage" or "cause effect." Distance became an issue as I couldn't take advantage of any higher initiative actions I could take as actions are precious for the lich.

Also, clerics are still the #1 best class in the game and people heavily underestimate how useful healing a character to high HP is. A simple healing word is okay, but its still a vulnerable position.

Asisreo1
2021-09-16, 07:38 AM
I had the PHB only party. If you like I could readjust them to remove the resilience feats from the casters because they do change the feel of them in challenges like this. I'd also say removal of the spell storing ring and +X type weapons as options would give you a better picture of what your looking for. Might as well look at those damage feats without a ton of DM fiat support.

It was a halfling thief, dwarf life cleric, human devotion pally, and elf evok wizard.
I'd be happy to play whenever you're ready. If you could remove the resilience feats and +# weapons, that would be helpful. You can keep the spell-storing rings, though.

Frogreaver
2021-09-16, 09:07 AM
I'd be happy to play whenever you're ready. If you could remove the resilience feats and +# weapons, that would be helpful. You can keep the spell-storing rings, though.

Maybe do a +1 weapon instead? Not sure if lich is resistant or immune to non-magical weapons.

Asisreo1
2021-09-16, 09:31 AM
Maybe do a +1 weapon instead? Not sure if lich is resistant or immune to non-magical weapons.
Well, I was thinking of letting them have weapons that are magical but not fully just +#. If they want a +# weapon, +1 would be fine. Because the lich is immune to nonmagical attacks.

AHF
2021-09-16, 11:57 AM

If there is a campaign where high level adventurers don’t have at least a +1 weapon, I’ve yet to see it. Sure it is there but seems pretty useless as an experiment if meant to replicate anything in 99% of tables. By 13th level or whatever, I’d expect a party of heroes to have the connections and resources to have had one personally made for them if nothing else.

stoutstien
2021-09-16, 03:05 PM
If there is a campaign where high level adventurers don’t have at least a +1 weapon, I’ve yet to see it. Sure it is there but seems pretty useless as an experiment if meant to replicate anything in 99% of tables. By 13th level or whatever, I’d expect a party of heroes to have the connections and resources to have had one personally made for them if nothing else.

It's not really that odd. I personally don't include any static +1/2/3 magical weapons in my games unless they're coming directly from a player option. Same goes for spell focuses, Armor, and ammunition.

I have my party typed up and my token timed out so I got to do it all over again. I'll have them posted by the end of the day alongside a basic summary on how they operate as a group. This party will not be optimized whatsoever so their decisions and choices will reflect that.

stoutstien
2021-09-16, 06:42 PM
Lightfoot Halfling thief rogue
AC 17 HP 147
12 20 16 10 12 10
Feats- Lucky/tavern brawler/healer
Expertise in athletics/stealth/thieves tools/slight of hand

V human devotion pally
AC 19 HP 132
20 10 14 8 10 16
Feats- HaM, PaM, GWM
Spells- will list if needed but it's a pretty standard fair minus find steed just to keep it clean

Hill dwarf life cleric
AC 20 HP 147
10 12 16 8 20 13
Feats- war caster/ inspiring leader
Spells- stand daily setup

H elf evok wizard
AC 19 HP 98
8 14 14 20 14 10
Feats- lightly armored/moderately armored

Spells- Blasty and wizard stuff but still has a portion set aside for utility and such.

Asisreo1
2021-09-16, 08:02 PM
Lightfoot Halfling thief rogue
AC 17 HP 147
12 20 16 10 12 10
Feats- Lucky/tavern brawler/healer
Expertise in athletics/stealth/thieves tools/slight of hand

V human devotion pally
AC 19 HP 132
20 10 14 8 10 16
Feats- HaM, PaM, GWM
Spells- will list if needed but it's a pretty standard fair minus find steed just to keep it clean

Hill dwarf life cleric
AC 20 HP 147
10 12 16 8 20 13
Feats- war caster/ inspiring leader
Spells- stand daily setup

H elf evok wizard
AC 19 HP 98
8 14 14 20 14 10
Feats- lightly armored/moderately armored

Spells- Blasty and wizard stuff but still has a portion set aside for utility and such.
I would like to see spells listed. I'm fine with the team, though. Once you get the spells listed and the magic items, if you may, please post your initiative. Also, noting the prebuffs you apply would also be helpful.

So, you can have a +1 weapon in addition to the 3 other items so long as those other items are not +# weapons. Does that sound alright?

The lich's initiative is
[17]+3

stoutstien
2021-09-17, 12:07 PM
I would like to see spells listed. I'm fine with the team, though. Once you get the spells listed and the magic items, if you may, please post your initiative. Also, noting the prebuffs you apply would also be helpful.

So, you can have a +1 weapon in addition to the 3 other items so long as those other items are not +# weapons. Does that sound alright?

The lich's initiative is
[17]+3

Will be a little slow to get it up. Doing clean room work this week.

Pally spells
Protection good/evil, sanctuary, bless, shield of faith, thundering smite, cure wounds, searing smite, staggering smite

Warding bond, aid, prayer of healing, lesser restoration, zone of truth

AoV, dispel magic, revivify, beacon of hope

Death Ward, freedom of movement, guardian of faith, aura of Life

Magic items- flametounge glaive, necklace of prayer (4 beads) 2 bless/2 curing, Googles of night, Adam plate

Cleric

Guidance, spare the dying, sacred flame, mending, light

bless, CW, protection G/E, sanctuary, SoF, healing word, command,

aid, silence, warding bond, prayer of healing, lesser restoration, SW,

bestow curse, dispel magic, meld into stone, spirit guardian, mass healing word

raise dead, banishment, stone shape, freedom of movement, beacon of hope, revivify

Death Ward, guardian of faith, insect plague, mass cure wounds, flame strike

blade barrier, heal,

Divine word, plane shift

AMF

Magic items- staff (mace) of healing, Adam plate, wand of MM

Rogue Magic items- dagger of warning, generic magical short bow, wand of web, bag of holding

Wizard

Firebolt, acid splash, ray of frost, mage hand, minor illusion, light, posion spray

Shield, find familiar, grease, burning hands, magic missile, long strider, false life, thunder wave

Cloud of daggers, invisibility, levitate, shatter, web, mirror image

Counterspell, dispel magic, fly, fireball, tiny hut

Dimension door, EBT, fire shield, polymorph, wall of fire, ORS,

RTB, wall of force, bigbys hand

Disintegrate, sunbeam, contingency

Force cage,

PW:S

Magic items- wand of fireball, mantle of spell resistance

** Prebuff would be Inspiring leader, death Ward on wizard cast by the cleric, long strider on pally, Warding bond in cleric/pally along side guidance on pally. All long duration buffs because they aren't 100% sure what they are walking into.

*Indicates table talk and TOtM clarification*
(Dice rolls) (/) rolls at advantage/disadvantage
[R] rerolls
+/- shows Flat Modifiers so we can see if gwm is effective in this undertuned supported format.

Initiative
Rouge (19)+5 - 24
Wizard (17)+2 - 19
Cleric (10)+1 -11
Pally (15)+(3)- 18

Asisreo1
2021-09-17, 08:33 PM
Will be a little slow to get it up. Doing clean room work this week.

Pally spells
Protection good/evil, sanctuary, bless, shield of faith, thundering smite, cure wounds, searing smite, staggering smite

Warding bond, aid, prayer of healing, lesser restoration, zone of truth

AoV, dispel magic, revivify, beacon of hope

Death Ward, freedom of movement, guardian of faith, aura of Life

Magic items- flametounge glaive, necklace of prayer (4 beads) 2 bless/2 curing, Googles of night, Adam plate

Cleric

Guidance, spare the dying, sacred flame, mending, light

bless, CW, protection G/E, sanctuary, SoF, healing word, command,

aid, silence, warding bond, prayer of healing, lesser restoration, SW,

bestow curse, dispel magic, meld into stone, spirit guardian, mass healing word

raise dead, banishment, stone shape, freedom of movement, beacon of hope, revivify

Death Ward, guardian of faith, insect plague, mass cure wounds, flame strike

blade barrier, heal,

Divine word, plane shift

AMF

Magic items- staff (mace) of healing, Adam plate, wand of MM

Rogue Magic items- dagger of warning, generic magical short bow, wand of web, bag of holding

Wizard

Firebolt, acid splash, ray of frost, mage hand, minor illusion, light, posion spray

Shield, find familiar, grease, burning hands, magic missile, long strider, false life, thunder wave

Cloud of daggers, invisibility, levitate, shatter, web, mirror image

Counterspell, dispel magic, fly, fireball, tiny hut

Dimension door, EBT, fire shield, polymorph, wall of fire, ORS,

RTB, wall of force, bigbys hand

Disintegrate, sunbeam, contingency

Force cage,

PW:S

Magic items- wand of fireball, mantle of spell resistance

** Prebuff would be Inspiring leader, death Ward on wizard cast by the cleric, long strider on pally, Warding bond in cleric/pally along side guidance on pally. All long duration buffs because they aren't 100% sure what they are walking into.

*Indicates table talk and TOtM clarification*
(Dice rolls) (/) rolls at advantage/disadvantage
[R] rerolls
+/- shows Flat Modifiers so we can see if gwm is effective in this undertuned supported format.

Initiative
Rouge (19)+5 - 24
Wizard (17)+2 - 19
Cleric (10)+1 -11
Pally (15)+(3)- 18
Alright, that means the rogue gets to go first.

You see a sickly yellowish green fog emanating from the far side of the room. From within the cloud, you hear a voice. "Foolish mortals, you've entered your doom. Be ready to die by my hands!" From her voice, you can know the general direction of her location but not anything concrete.

*an aside: the lich is smart, so I thought she'd at least keep quiet when inside. But I wanted to be a bit more merciful. I thought it would be good if she hid there, but instead I'll have her announce her location to make it possible for your characters to have somewhere to aim. She doesn't breathe, the cloud blocks smell and sight, and you're not in physical contact. And even if those senses were possible, being 150ft away, I'd rule you'd need to be alot closer to perceive her. Basically, if she were to hide, I'd personally rule it as being automatically undetectable, which would be kinda cheap for this fight, imo.*

Anyways, let the rogue's turn begin.

stoutstien
2021-09-18, 05:18 AM
Alright, that means the rogue gets to go first.

You see a sickly yellowish green fog emanating from the far side of the room. From within the cloud, you hear a voice. "Foolish mortals, you've entered your doom. Be ready to die by my hands!" From her voice, you can know the general direction of her location but not anything concrete.

*an aside: the lich is smart, so I thought she'd at least keep quiet when inside. But I wanted to be a bit more merciful. I thought it would be good if she hid there, but instead I'll have her announce her location to make it possible for your characters to have somewhere to aim. She doesn't breathe, the cloud blocks smell and sight, and you're not in physical contact. And even if those senses were possible, being 150ft away, I'd rule you'd need to be alot closer to perceive her. Basically, if she were to hide, I'd personally rule it as being automatically undetectable, which would be kinda cheap for this fight, imo.*

Anyways, let the rogue's turn begin.

**How far does the cloud reach across the room approximately?**

Rogue double dashes towards the second left hand row of pillars from his point of view while scolded the paladin for getting him into this mess. Then shouts out " Do you mean die by your hands or due BY your hands?! This is important for insurance purposes!"

Asisreo1
2021-09-18, 07:24 AM
**How far does the cloud reach across the room approximately?**
Its a 20ft radius sphere in a 45ft wide room, centered at the room center. There isn't any space for a creature to scoot past the cloud without being affected.

Rogue double dashes towards the second left hand row of pillars from his point of view while scolded the paladin for getting him into this mess. Then shouts out " Do you mean die by your hands or due BY your hands?! This is important for insurance purposes!"
The cloud begins to slowly creep 10ft forward.

"I mean that there will be nothing left of your soul once I'm done consuming it in my new phylactery, fool."

A streak of dark orange suddenly bursts from the cloud, its a 5th-level fireball. He centers it in the area right in front of the door, where the cleric, paladin, and wizard are. Make dexterity saving throws, taking [28] fire damage on a failure or [14] on a success.

Arcane energy rushes into the cloud.

Its now the wizard's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-18, 08:32 AM
Its a 20ft radius sphere in a 45ft wide room, centered at the room center. There isn't any space for a creature to scoot past the cloud without being affected.
The cloud begins to slowly creep 10ft forward.

"I mean that there will be nothing left of your soul once I'm done consuming it in my new phylactery, fool."

A streak of dark orange suddenly bursts from the cloud, its a 5th-level fireball. He centers it in the area right in front of the door, where the cleric, paladin, and wizard are. Make dexterity saving throws, taking [28] fire damage on a failure or [14] on a success.

Arcane energy rushes into the cloud.

Its now the wizard's turn.

Wizard (10/20)+[2]+[3]
Pally (19) +[2]+[1]
Cleric (16)+[1]+[1]

Assuming cleric failed
14 damage for wizard 4 THP remaining
21 damage for paladin 3 damage to HP
14 damage for cleric 4 THP remaining

Wizard returns a volley with his wand of fireball aiming at the point of origin of the incoming one. Using 4 charges DC 15. 42 damage save for half. Then moves in the direction of right pillar. Hoping to himself that he didn't burn anything important.

Asisreo1
2021-09-18, 09:54 AM
Wizard (10/20)+[2]+[3]
Pally (19) +[2]+[1]
Cleric (16)+[1]+[1]

Assuming cleric failed
14 damage for wizard 4 THP remaining
21 damage for paladin 3 damage to HP
14 damage for cleric 4 THP remaining

Wizard returns a volley with his wand of fireball aiming at the point of origin of the incoming one. Using 4 charges DC 15. 42 damage save for half. Then moves in the direction of right pillar. Hoping to himself that he didn't burn anything important.
[13]+3=16, passes the save, taking 21 damage. No need for concentration saves.

Also, it seems your paladin saved for the fireball taking 14 fire damage but also took 14 from the warding bond. Do you have fire resistance from somewhere on the paladin?

Don't forget to make your concentration saves.

It is now the paladin's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-18, 02:02 PM
[13]+3=16, passes the save, taking 21 damage. No need for concentration saves.

Also, it seems your paladin saved for the fireball taking 14 fire damage but also took 14 from the warding bond. Do you have fire resistance from somewhere on the paladin?

Don't forget to make your concentration saves.

It is now the paladin's turn.

**At the moment no one's concentrating on anything.

Because the paladin passed it saved but is also bonded to the cleric they would take half of failed damage and half of passing. Technically the spell gives you resistance to the damage but in reality it just takes the damage and splits it in two. I did miscalculate the cleric would take the same amount of damage so he is down 3 HP. I do have a soft spot for warding Bond but it is a pain to keep up with. Especially when it comes to concentration checks without resil: Con.
The mantle of spell resistance already shown it's usefulness. I initially picked it on a lark not thinking it would have that big of an impact might readjust later. Adv is a nice boost even for a mediocre save value**

The paladins going to cast shield of faith on himself and move up until he is ~20 ft away from the front of the icky cloud and ready an action to dash at the lich if he sees her. He will hug the right side of middle area.

** No idea how you handle ready actions in this context. As a DM I would allow a dash or attack trigger on sight depending on distance with the wording "if i see the lich I will move as close as possible and attack" but I figured I'd play it safe and just ready dash.**

He tosses a quick nod to the rogue.

Asisreo1
2021-09-18, 07:49 PM
**At the moment no one's concentrating on anything.

Because the paladin passed it saved but is also bonded to the cleric they would take half of failed damage and half of passing. Technically the spell gives you resistance to the damage but in reality it just takes the damage and splits it in two. I did miscalculate the cleric would take the same amount of damage so he is down 3 HP. I do have a soft spot for warding Bond but it is a pain to keep up with. Especially when it comes to concentration checks without resil: Con.
The mantle of spell resistance already shown it's usefulness. I initially picked it on a lark not thinking it would have that big of an impact might readjust later. Adv is a nice boost even for a mediocre save value**

The paladins going to cast shield of faith on himself and move up until he is ~20 ft away from the front of the icky cloud and ready an action to dash at the lich if he sees her. He will hug the right side of middle area.

** No idea how you handle ready actions in this context. As a DM I would allow a dash or attack trigger on sight depending on distance with the wording "if i see the lich I will move as close as possible and attack" but I figured I'd play it safe and just ready dash.**

He tosses a quick nod to the rogue.
**So, the way I have it, "readying a dash action" doesn't do anything (without alot of shenanigans involved). Dash only adds movement, but since its not your turn, you can't capitalize. But, you can ready a move. Effectively, it should be the same for your uses. You cannot move and make an action using the "ready" action, though. If you plan to attack, they must be within your reach/range when the trigger activates.

As for Warding Bond. I understand that the paladin casted the spell on the cleric. The cleric took 28 damage, resisted to 14. The paladin takes that 14, hence the "half of failed save." My problem is the "half of successful save." Your paladin doesn't have the effect of Warding Bond on him, he's just the connector. He should take damage as normal.**

The cleric is concentrating in Guidance, which is why I asked for the concentration save.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 04:54 AM
**So, the way I have it, "readying a dash action" doesn't do anything (without alot of shenanigans involved). Dash only adds movement, but since its not your turn, you can't capitalize. But, you can ready a move. Effectively, it should be the same for your uses. You cannot move and make an action using the "ready" action, though. If you plan to attack, they must be within your reach/range when the trigger activates.

As for Warding Bond. I understand that the paladin casted the spell on the cleric. The cleric took 28 damage, resisted to 14. The paladin takes that 14, hence the "half of failed save." My problem is the "half of successful save." Your paladin doesn't have the effect of Warding Bond on him, he's just the connector. He should take damage as normal.**

The cleric is concentrating in Guidance, which is why I asked for the concentration save.

**Warding bond was cast twice. Once each for cleric >pally and pally >cleric. should have been more clear on my part.
Mentally I had the cleric in the back of the group barely out of range of the aura of protection. Shot myself in the foot with that one as well lol

Guidance was used up on initiative.

Fair call on ready action just something I've seen handled very differently table to table on down fall to the addition of new content is the loss of turns spent on the PHB combat actions. I fell they actually make some challenges more interesting **

Cleric is going to cast dispel magic on the cloud with a 3rd level slot.
(13)+[5]

If it works he will move up in line behind the pally and if not he will move left and ain to get some cover from the pillar. If something unexpected happens he'll figure it out on the fly.

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 07:08 AM
**Warding bond was cast twice. Once each for cleric >pally and pally >cleric. should have been more clear on my part.
Mentally I had the cleric in the back of the group barely out of range of the aura of protection. Shot myself in the foot with that one as well lol

**So Warding Bond can't be casted between two characters already bonded. When either character has Warding Bond cast on them again, the first instance ends.**

Fair call on ready action just something I've seen handled very differently table to table on down fall to the addition of new content is the loss of turns spent on the PHB combat actions. I fell they actually make some challenges more interesting **

Cleric is going to cast dispel magic on the cloud with a 3rd level slot.
(13)+[5]

If it works he will move up in line behind the pally and if not he will move left and ain to get some cover from the pillar. If something unexpected happens he'll figure it out on the fly.
The fog was dispersed. You see an undead woman from within the dispelled fog cloud. Surrounding her are three illusory copies shifting and merging around her, making it difficult to see.

She says "Ah, wanted to see me that badly? That's fine. You're staring straight into your doom!"

**I should clarify the positions. The game started 150ft away. Your paladin has Longstrider on, which means he can move 40ft, which isn't close enough to be within 20ft of fog cloud, he's currently 80ft away because the cloud moved forward by 10ft.

Which means the cleric is 90ft away from the cloud. Finally the rogue is roughly 90ft away from the lich. Or within 70ft of the edge of the cloudkill spell. The spell is dismissed though.

One more time: the paladin is 100ft away from the lich, the cleric is 110ft away, the and the rogue is 90ft away. **

Its now the rogue's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 01:12 PM
**So Warding Bond can't be casted between two characters already bonded. When either character has Warding Bond cast on them again, the first instance ends.**

The fog was dispersed. You see an undead woman from within the dispelled fog cloud. Surrounding her are three illusory copies shifting and merging around her, making it difficult to see.

She says "Ah, wanted to see me that badly? That's fine. You're staring straight into your doom!"

**I should clarify the positions. The game started 150ft away. Your paladin has Longstrider on, which means he can move 40ft, which isn't close enough to be within 20ft of fog cloud, he's currently 80ft away because the cloud moved forward by 10ft.

Which means the cleric is 90ft away from the cloud. Finally the rogue is roughly 90ft away from the lich. Or within 70ft of the edge of the cloudkill spell. The spell is dismissed though.

One more time: the paladin is 100ft away from the lich, the cleric is 110ft away, the and the rogue is 90ft away. **

Its now the rogue's turn.

**Ill adjust for misremembered WB. Problem running from memory.

So the ready action (move) could put the pally 60 ft away from the lich? If so he would do so with reaction**

Rouge moves up 25 ft and uses his wand of web to target the lich in a way to prevent more than 10 ft of web from layering in between her and the paladin. (Dex DC 15)

"Hey you brought friends for us to play with! Thoughtful for a shoe stealing witch."

** 60 ft range on wand and web is a 20 ft cube so shouldn't be an issue for range. Will finish turn after he sees what's what**

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 01:34 PM
**Ill adjust for misremembered WB. Problem running from memory.

So the ready action (move) could put the pally 60 ft away from the lich? If so he would do so with reaction**

Rouge moves up 25 ft and uses his wand of web to target the lich in a way to prevent more than 10 ft of web from layering in between her and the paladin. (Dex DC 15)

"Hey you brought friends for us to play with! Thoughtful for a shoe stealing witch."

** 60 ft range on wand and web is a 20 ft cube so shouldn't be an issue for range. Will finish turn after he sees what's what**
**Yep, the Paladin is now 60ft away from the lich.**
[7]+3 = 10. She fails the saving throw, now restrained by the webs.

A shadowy apparition forms from behind the paladin, directly sapping their vitality. Have them make a constitution saving throw, taking 51 necrotic damage on a failure or 25 damage on a success.

Also, the lich casts Ray of Frost at the Paladin. With disadvantage because of the restraint.
[12][7]+12=19

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 02:56 PM
**Yep, the Paladin is now 60ft away from the lich.**
[7]+3 = 10. She fails the saving throw, now restrained by the webs.

A shadowy apparition forms from behind the paladin, directly sapping their vitality. Have them make a constitution saving throw, taking 51 necrotic damage on a failure or 25 damage on a success.

Also, the lich casts Ray of Frost at the Paladin. With disadvantage because of the restraint.
[12][7]+12=19

**Would have disadvantage due to purity of spirit either way**

Rogue finish their turn by using their bonus action to dash towards the back of the pillar on the left hand side. One closest to the lich.

(7)+ [2]+[1]+[3] fail so 26 damage to pally and cleric

Concentration check (11)+[2]+[3]+ [1]

Wizard is going to run over and Dimension door himself and the cleric to the right side of the web spell's area.

**I really don't want to use this tactic because I feel like it might be beyond this party's normal range but without it there a good chance the pally will never get any attacks off which would defeat the point of the scenario. Shows how easy it is to keep Melee heavy PCs at arms reach even with a movement speed spell and dashing.
A party safe upcasted over channeled wall of fire circling the lich would probably be the most apt choice for what I could see this party regularly doing.

I'm not really doing a good job showcasing GWM lol**

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 03:19 PM
**Would have disadvantage due to purity of spirit either way**

Rogue finish their turn by using their bonus action to dash towards the back of the pillar on the left hand side. One closest to the lich.

(7)+ [2]+[1]+[3] fail so 26 damage to pally and cleric

Concentration check (11)+[2]+[3]+ [1]

**Okay, I need clarification. Is it the Paladin bonded to the Cleric or is it the Cleric Bonded to the Paladin? If its the first case, the damage is not resisted and you take 52 necrotic all on the paladin. If its the latter, you split this damage but your cleric instead takes 35 damage from the fireball last turn.

I also apologize, I should have made it clear that its my turn now.**

The Lich is going to cast Dimension Door and appear 5ft next to the rogue, by the pillar he dashed to.

Wizard is going to run over and Dimension door himself and the cleric to the right side of the web spell's area.

**I really don't want to use this tactic because I feel like it might be beyond this party's normal range but without it there a good chance the pally will never get any attacks off which would defeat the point of the scenario. Shows how easy it is to keep Melee heavy PCs at arms reach even with a movement speed spell and dashing.
A party safe upcasted over channeled wall of fire circling the lich would probably be the most apt choice for what I could see this party regularly doing.**
I'm not sure if you want to change this after the Lich's turn, but I imagine so.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 03:53 PM
**Okay, I need clarification. Is it the Paladin bonded to the Cleric or is it the Cleric Bonded to the Paladin? If its the first case, the damage is not resisted and you take 52 necrotic all on the paladin. If its the latter, you split this damage but your cleric instead takes 35 damage from the fireball last turn.

I also apologize, I should have made it clear that its my turn now.**

The Lich is going to cast Dimension Door and appear 5ft next to the rogue, by the pillar he dashed to.

I'm not sure if you want to change this after the Lich's turn, but I imagine so.
**That's on me for forgetting the lich's turn I spaced on the potential of lair actions

Cleric is the origin of casting of WB Damage has been allotted. I did miss lich's turn but all it does is relocate where the wizard and cleric DD to.

Cleric is down 43 HP and pally is down 22 after THP burnt off.**

The lich's new location doesn't change anything. Wizard still DD cleric to surround the lich. Assuming since the wizard can the whole room it's not an issue. Rogue will drop concentration.

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 04:01 PM
**That's on me for forgetting the lich's turn I spaced on the potential of lair actions

Cleric is the origin of casting of WB Damage has been allotted. I did miss lich's turn but all it does is relocate where the wizard and cleric DD to.

Cleric is down 43 HP and pally is down 22 after THP burnt off.**

The lich's new location doesn't change anything. Wizard still DD cleric to surround the lich. Assuming since the wizard can the whole room it's not an issue. Rogue will drop concentration.
A burst of necrotic energy explodes from the lich. Have the rogue, wizard, and cleric make a constitution saving throw, taking 25 necrotic damage on failure or 12 on a success.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 04:28 PM
A burst of necrotic energy explodes from the lich. Have the rogue, wizard, and cleric make a constitution saving throw, taking 25 necrotic damage on failure or 12 on a success.

**What DC. I'm assuming rouge passed and other 2 failed.

Rouge (6) lucky reroll (19)+[3]
Cleric (9)+[3] **he not having much luck lol**
Wizard (14)+[2]

Cleric is going to cast silence.

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 04:49 PM
**What DC. I'm assuming rouge passed and other 2 failed.

Rouge (6) lucky reroll (19)+[3]
Cleric (9)+[3] **he not having much luck lol**
Wizard (14)+[2]

Cleric is going to cast silence.
The Lich uses a 5th-level counterspell.

Also, DC 18, so everyone but rogue fails.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 05:13 PM
The Lich uses a 5th-level counterspell.

Wizard follows suit but blew his 7th level slot.

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 05:19 PM
Wizard follows suit but blew his 7th level slot.
Alright. The area is now silenced. It is now the paladin's turn.

**I want to apologize. First it was the paladin then it was the cleric. If you want we can redo that sequence or we can keep it going just for this round.**

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 05:22 PM
Alright. The area is now silenced. It is now the paladin's turn.

**Im guessing by my rough count he still too far away to reach the mob without dashing correct?**

*No worries on turn order. I'm having to constantly remember it even exists RaW lol*

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 05:28 PM
**Im guessing by my rough count he still too far away to reach the mob without dashing correct?**

*No worries on turn order. I'm having to constantly remember it even exists RaW lol*
That's correct.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 06:04 PM
Pally dashes up and finally gets into the action. Hoping his aura will protect his friends.
**We might see GWM after all. It's harder to leverage than SS against mobile targets. I might need to readjust and drop the rouge for a GWM ranger or fighter next time so it has a bigger impact if your willing. I'm relearning how to PBP**

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 06:23 PM
Pally dashes up and finally gets into the action. Hoping his aura will protect his friends.
**We might see GWM after all. It's harder to leverage than SS against mobile targets. I might need to readjust and drop the rouge for a GWM ranger or fighter next time so it has a bigger impact if your willing. I'm relearning how to PBP**
Sure, I'm okay playing again.

The paladin dashes and brings his arua with him. It is now the Rogue's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 06:29 PM
Sure, I'm okay playing again.

The paladin dashes and brings his arua with him. It is now the Rogue's turn.

**,No Lair action? NVM another house rule I'm used to.**

Rouge is going to use bonus action to heal Cleric with a healer kit for
(3)+[4]+[16]
And attack action - grapple the lich
(14)+[10]+[1]

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 06:42 PM
**,No Lair action? NVM another house rule I'm used to.**

Rouge is going to use bonus action to heal Cleric with a healer kit for
(3)+[4]+[16]
And attack action - grapple the lich
(14)+[10]+[1]
So, Lair actions occur at initiative 20, losing ties. At least for the lich. Which means it occurs after the lich's turn. Legendary actions are possible on any off-turn, but none were being made this time.

The lich will extend her arm and touch the paladin,
[9]+12=21
11 cold damage, in case it hits and if it does, he needs to make a DC 18 constitution save.

Finally, a necrotic cord whips out from the lich and attempts to cling to the cleric. Have the cleric make a DC 18 constitution save after the paladin.

Edit: cleric makes constitution save, not concentration.

stoutstien
2021-09-19, 06:54 PM
So, Lair actions occur at initiative 20, losing ties. At least for the lich. Which means it occurs after the lich's turn. Legendary actions are possible on any off-turn, but none were being made this time.

The lich will extend her arm and touch the paladin,
[9]+12=21
11 cold damage, in case it hits and if it does, he needs to make a DC 18 constitution save.

Finally, a necrotic cord whips out from the lich and attempts to cling to the cleric. Have the cleric make a DC 18 concentration save after the paladin.

**Aye. I personally turned liar actions to occur at different times each round (literally roll initiative for it every round to keep it from being static)

Lich would have disadvantage on pally if she can reach him due to wielding a polearm so should have stopped short miss detail on my part but attack missed anyways**

Cleric check (13/19)+[3]+[3]
*Hey he passed a save finally. War caster isn't quite as good as resistance Con but still a big boon for heavy concentration casting**
**Edit if it's a flat con save it would be 19**

Heading to bed so will post next sequence with wizard backing out of silence zone to cast fog cloud on top of the melee and will wait to see if lich counter spells this attempt

**Be careful with tight corners with anything that needs counterspell to sure up defenses. It's corny but a player could move out of sight and ready action (spell) and then move back into view to bypass CS. Of course the lich could do it also if they aren't concentrating themselves. It's expensive action wise but it's a nice way to shake up an encounter**

Asisreo1
2021-09-19, 07:22 PM
**Aye. I personally turned liar actions to occur at different times each round (literally roll initiative for it every round to keep it from being static)

Lich would have disadvantage on pally if she can reach him due to wielding a polearm so should have stopped short miss detail on my part but attack missed anyways**

Cleric check (13/19)+[3]+[3]
*Hey he passed a save finally. War caster isn't quite as good as resistance Con but still a big boon for heavy concentration casting**
**Edit if it's a flat con save it would be 19**

Heading to bed so will post next sequence with wizard backing out of silence zone to cast fog cloud on top of the melee and will wait to see if lich counter spells this attempt

**Be careful with tight corners with anything that needs counterspell to sure up defenses. It's corny but a player could move out of sight and ready action (spell) and then move back into view to bypass CS. Of course the lich could do it also if they aren't concentrating themselves. It's expensive action wise but it's a nice way to shake up an encounter**
That's it for the lich's turn, so now its the wizard's. The wizard successfully moves away from the scuffle and casts fog cloud around the area, heavily obscuring it.

As a legendary action, the lich attempts to touch the paladin. The fog cloud obscures the area, so the advantage and disadvantage stack to make it a neutral to-hit.

[13]+12=25 to-hit.

He needs to make a DC 18 constitution save, and he takes 11 cold damage.

stoutstien
2021-09-20, 04:41 AM
That's it for the lich's turn, so now its the wizard's. The wizard successfully moves away from the scuffle and casts fog cloud around the area, heavily obscuring it.

As a legendary action, the lich attempts to touch the paladin. The fog cloud obscures the area, so the advantage and disadvantage stack to make it a neutral to-hit.

[13]+12=25 to-hit.

He needs to make a DC 18 constitution save, and he takes 11 cold damage.

(15)+[2]+[3]+[1]

Pally just goes all in and -/+ his heart out
Attack action
(2)
(4)
(20)
Damage from crit,GWM, and 4th lv smite 123

**Not a good showing for the feat but I think the party's general level of choices are close to DMGs expectations.**

Asisreo1
2021-09-20, 06:34 AM
(15)+[2]+[3]+[1]

Pally just goes all in and -/+ his heart out
Attack action
(2)
(4)
(20)
Damage from crit,GWM, and 4th lv smite 123

**Not a good showing for the feat but I think the party's general level of choices are close to DMGs expectations.**
Mirror Image duplicate rolls:
[4] It targets the real lich, lich dodges.
[5] targets the real lich, also dodges.
[17]targets a duplicate, hits the duplicate.

stoutstien
2021-09-20, 08:37 AM
Mirror Image duplicate rolls:
[4] It targets the real lich, lich dodges.
[5] targets the real lich, also dodges.
[17]targets a duplicate, hits the duplicate.

**Mirror image is negated by fog cloud. If you want to rule otherwise to keep it rolling all good. I'll roll back the smite due to this information and instead only use gwm -/+ to try to get lucky which he didn't.**

Cleric is going to move back 5 ft and use his CD to heal the party.

**160 HP should be able to bring everyone back to full but I'll verify once I get to my notebook.**

**Edit. Not quite but only the pally isn't topped off.**

Cleric is going to continue to back away until he is out of the silence area and cast spiritual weapon with a 2nd level slot and have it attack the lich
Attack (12)+[5] 17
If hit
Damage (8)+[5] 12

He should end up 25 ft away towards the direction of the lich's original location.

**Probably not far enough away to not get caught in one of the lich's AoE blasts but thus is the plight of reduced movement speeds.**

Asisreo1
2021-09-20, 07:13 PM
**Mirror image is negated by fog cloud. If you want to rule otherwise to keep it rolling all good. I'll roll back the smite due to this information and instead only use gwm -/+ to try to get lucky which he didn't.**

Cleric is going to move back 5 ft and use his CD to heal the party.

**160 HP should be able to bring everyone back to full but I'll verify once I get to my notebook.**

**Edit. Not quite but only the pally isn't topped off.**

Cleric is going to continue to back away until he is out of the silence area and cast spiritual weapon with a 2nd level slot and have it attack the lich
Attack (12)+[5] 17
If hit
Damage (8)+[5] 12

He should end up 25 ft away towards the direction of the lich's original location.

**Probably not far enough away to not get caught in one of the lich's AoE blasts but thus is the plight of reduced movement speeds.**
No need. You're correct about Mirror Image. Man, leave it to a paladin's crit to end an undead encounter. Though the initial fireball helped alot.

The team did good but its still sad when your BBEG had potential and lost it to a 5% chance. We'll play again, though.

Besides, I should remind myself that the goal of the lich was never to threaten permanent death to the party since its not a full adventuring day encounter.

I do theorize that having the lich encounter be an actual full adventuring day versus the level appropriate party would start to swing heavily towards the lich.

Also, I'm gonna need you people to start failing your saves against effects. Even when its worse odds than a coin toss, its like nothing connects except damage. I'll analyze because I want to see the odds of this...the first sentence is a joke, btw. I'm not actually telling you to try to fail, lol.

stoutstien
2021-09-21, 05:04 AM
No need. You're correct about Mirror Image. Man, leave it to a paladin's crit to end an undead encounter. Though the initial fireball helped alot.

The team did good but its still sad when your BBEG had potential and lost it to a 5% chance. We'll play again, though.

Besides, I should remind myself that the goal of the lich was never to threaten permanent death to the party since its not a full adventuring day encounter.

I do theorize that having the lich encounter be an actual full adventuring day versus the level appropriate party would start to swing heavily towards the lich.

Also, I'm gonna need you people to start failing your saves against effects. Even when its worse odds than a coin toss, its like nothing connects except damage. I'll analyze because I want to see the odds of this...the first sentence is a joke, btw. I'm not actually telling you to try to fail, lol.

Lol no joke i was hoping for a few more failed STs and was praying that I wouldn't crit with the pally. I almost rerolled it because I was disappointed that's how it ended. I was hoping the damage link would land because that is one of the more interesting things about lichs.
The overall saves were a lot closer to coin flips, as you noted, without all the stacked bonuses. the pally accounts for almost all of them so the party would have needed to spend another 30% of their resources and the encounter would have a good chance of dropping at least one member with out him.

Was the overall level of organization and planning about right for the party? About a round of actions total that were ineffective as I tried to base it on the concept the wizard telling the party how he could be most effectively taken down. They were taken back by the fire ball and surprised by the Necrotic burst after they DD up close because they were expecting more subtle tactics.

When I get time today I'm goin bench the pally and rouge then whip up a PHB ranger and fighter so we could actually see some weapon attacks. Maybe. Big room lol.

Asisreo1
2021-09-21, 09:06 AM
Lol no joke i was hoping for a few more failed STs and was praying that I wouldn't crit with the pally. I almost rerolled it because I was disappointed that's how it ended. I was hoping the damage link would land because that is one of the more interesting things about lichs.
The overall saves were a lot closer to coin flips, as you noted, without all the stacked bonuses. the pally accounts for almost all of them so the party would have needed to spend another 30% of their resources and the encounter would have a good chance of dropping at least one member with out him.

Was the overall level of organization and planning about right for the party? About a round of actions total that were ineffective as I tried to base it on the concept the wizard telling the party how he could be most effectively taken down. They were taken back by the fire ball and surprised by the Necrotic burst after they DD up close because they were expecting more subtle tactics.

When I get time today I'm goin bench the pally and rouge then whip up a PHB ranger and fighter so we could actually see some weapon attacks. Maybe. Big room lol.
Alright.

The bursts and fireballs were to drain HP. It worked decently.

The tricky thing is the rogue with athletics expertise. Its not a bad build for single target fights, but I usually don't see it as the gimmick quickly goes sour when there are multiple enemies or when the enemy prefers squishy targets as close as possible. A rogue built this way for an informed one-shot makes sense since its a common anti-mage tactic.

Usually, someone like a barbarian would go for grapple attempts. Barbarians actually aren't a horrible matchup, either, in this battle. They'd get advantage and they're bulky enough that HP isn't much of an issue. Plus, they excel being in melee distance so that's another plus even in-general.

Let me know what your Ranger & Fighter are like when you're done.

stoutstien
2021-09-21, 11:53 AM
Alright.

The bursts and fireballs were to drain HP. It worked decently.

The tricky thing is the rogue with athletics expertise. Its not a bad build for single target fights, but I usually don't see it as the gimmick quickly goes sour when there are multiple enemies or when the enemy prefers squishy targets as close as possible. A rogue built this way for an informed one-shot makes sense since its a common anti-mage tactic.

Usually, someone like a barbarian would go for grapple attempts. Barbarians actually aren't a horrible matchup, either, in this battle. They'd get advantage and they're bulky enough that HP isn't much of an issue. Plus, they excel being in melee distance so that's another plus even in-general.

Let me know what your Ranger & Fighter are like when you're done.

That particular rouge build is one I've personally used back when PHB was the only source book. The expertise is used more for fast hand tricks like pulling rugs out from under someone feet or shoving foes into adventuring gear laid out like a hunters trap.
It's a CC build that I admit isn't very common but man is it a blast to play.

Rouges are surprisingly hearty as a front line bruiser and once you just disregard the concept of trying to just deal damage via sneak attack as much as possible its a good 5th man in a four man party with a little bit of everything even clutch heals. I usually dip fighter for extra attack, net Prof, and maneuvers but for this I wanted to keep everyone single class.

I was hoping he would do more than grapple but the pally was just too slow.

stoutstien
2021-09-21, 05:19 PM
Settled on just grabbing 2 champion fighters because they really don't have much besides those feats to lean on.

Stout halfling Archer
10 20 16 19 14 10
HP 148
AC 18
Feats other than dex boosts- SS/CBE/ lucky/ alert

Magic items - magic hand crossbow, goggles of night, and headband of intelligence.

Half orc champion
20 12 16 8 14 8
HP 148
AC 19
Feats other than str boosts- HaM, PaM, GWM, res Wis, Mobile

Magic items- flametounge glaive, Adam plate, pam of wound closure.

Will mix up prebuffing as well with an uncasted aid (lv 4) on wizard, cleric, and GWM fighter ( let's call him meat stick), Ray's bond as a ritual, death Ward on wizard, and long strider on meat stick. Sticking to long duration buffs.

We could say each caster are missing half of 1-4th and 7th lv slots to emulate end game type fight. Mentally I could see this fight as an extra push to prevent to lich from ever coming back to haunt the party/world rather than retreating.

Asisreo1
2021-09-21, 07:41 PM
Settled on just grabbing 2 champion fighters because they really don't have much besides those feats to lean on.

Stout halfling Archer
10 20 16 19 14 10
HP 148
AC 18
Feats other than dex boosts- SS/CBE/ lucky/ alert

Magic items - magic hand crossbow, goggles of night, and headband of intelligence.

Half orc champion
20 12 16 8 14 8
HP 148
AC 19
Feats other than str boosts- HaM, PaM, GWM, res Wis, Mobile

Magic items- flametounge glaive, Adam plate, pam of wound closure.

Will mix up prebuffing as well with an uncasted aid (lv 4) on wizard, cleric, and GWM fighter ( let's call him meat stick), Ray's bond as a ritual, death Ward on wizard, and long strider on meat stick. Sticking to long duration buffs.

We could say each caster are missing half of 1-4th and 7th lv slots to emulate end game type fight. Mentally I could see this fight as an extra push to prevent to lich from ever coming back to haunt the party/world rather than retreating.
The spell slots are fine since the initial question was more about -5 +10 feats. It wasn't ever a question of if the party would win, but how.

I'd probably just create a whole one-shot if I wanted to test single-enemy encounters within an adventuring day and I'd lower your level significantly if I wanted to present this encounter as more of a challenge.

When you're ready, roll initiative and we can start the next test.

Lich's initiative: [20]+3= 23

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 04:50 AM
The spell slots are fine since the initial question was more about -5 +10 feats. It wasn't ever a question of if the party would win, but how.

I'd probably just create a whole one-shot if I wanted to test single-enemy encounters within an adventuring day and I'd lower your level significantly if I wanted to present this encounter as more of a challenge.

When you're ready, roll initiative and we can start the next test.

Lich's initiative: [20]+3= 23

**Aye. I was thinking the lack of slots might force leaning on SS/GWM more being less resource dependent.**

Halfling - (10)+[5]+[5]+[3] =23
Meat stick (6)+[1]+[3]=10
Wizard (7)+[2]=9
Cleric (1)+[1]=2

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 05:45 AM
**Aye. I was thinking the lack of slots might force leaning on SS/GWM more being less resource dependent.**

Halfling - (10)+[5]+[5]+[3] =23
Meat stick (6)+[1]+[3]=10
Wizard (7)+[2]=9
Cleric (1)+[1]=2
The Halfling can go first.

Standing 60ft from the entrance, next to the pillar on the left side facing the throne, an undead woman and three shifting, illusory duplicates awaits. Surrounding her is a shimmering barrier of magic. While she's next to the pillar, she isn't using it as cover just yet. She says "Your deaths will be swift and painful. Your souls will be consumed, your skin will be used for leather, and your bones shall join the ranks of my legion."

She gets in a combat stance.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 08:54 AM
The Halfling can go first.

Standing 60ft from the entrance, next to the pillar on the left side facing the throne, an undead woman and three shifting, illusory duplicates awaits. Surrounding her is a shimmering barrier of magic. While she's next to the pillar, she isn't using it as cover just yet. She says "Your deaths will be swift and painful. Your souls will be consumed, your skin will be used for leather, and your bones shall join the ranks of my legion."

She gets in a combat stance.

Halfling is going to fire a volley while making her way to the first pillar on the same side. Hoping to get full cover.
(20)+[7]= crit (3)+5=8
(17)+[7] =24 (5)+5= 10
(8)+[7]= 15. (2)+5= 7
(11)+[7]=18. (2)+5=7

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 09:25 AM
Halfling is going to fire a volley while making her way to the first pillar on the same side. Hoping to get full cover.
(20)+[7]= crit (3)+5=8
(17)+[7] =24 (5)+5= 10
(8)+[7]= 15. (2)+5= 7
(11)+[7]=18. (2)+5=7
Duplicate rolls:
[6]The attack lands on a duplicate.
[5]The attack lands on the lich, dealing 10 damage.
[17]The attack lands on a duplicate
[18]The attack lands on a duplicate

All three duplicates have been eliminated. The rogue has successfully gained full cover.

The lich casts Ray of Frost at the cleric, with a
[4]+12=16, I doubt that hits.

He then uses his turn to cast Disintegrate at 7th-level on the cleric. He must make a dexterity saving throw or take

[51]+40=91 force damage.

Next, a shadowy apparition forms behind the cleric, dealing 44 damage on a failed constitution save or 22 on a success.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 11:42 AM
Duplicate rolls:
[6]The attack lands on a duplicate.
[5]The attack lands on the lich, dealing 10 damage.
[17]The attack lands on a duplicate
[18]The attack lands on a duplicate

All three duplicates have been eliminated. The rogue has successfully gained full cover.

The lich casts Ray of Frost at the cleric, with a
[4]+12=16, I doubt that hits.

He then uses his turn to cast Disintegrate at 7th-level on the cleric. He must make a dexterity saving throw or take

[51]+40=91 force damage.

Next, a shadowy apparition forms behind the cleric, dealing 44 damage on a failed constitution save or 22 on a success.

Ray of frost misses
Dex save (8) fail
Con save (7) fail
Cleric is now at 44 HP **ouch**

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 11:45 AM
Ray of frost misses
Dex save (8) fail
Con save (7) fail
Cleric is now at 44 HP **ouch**
Its now meat stick's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 12:09 PM
Its now meat stick's turn.

Runs up and attempts to shove (prone) the lich with first attack
(14)+[10]=24

If successful will follow up with rest of attack action/Pam bonus action attack with GWM. Will use bonus action from GWM on crit.

Action surge

(1/20) crit (3)+[15]= 18
(11/9)miss
(1/9)miss
(18/4) crit. (15)+[15] = 30

(19,11) crit. (17)+[15] =32
(11,1) miss
(10,4) miss

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 01:05 PM
Runs up and attempts to shove (prone) the lich with first attack
(14)+[10]=24

If successful will follow up with rest of attack action/Pam bonus action attack with GWM. Will use bonus action from GWM on crit.

Action surge

(1/20) crit (3)+[15]= 18
(11/9)miss
(1/9)miss
(18/4) crit. (15)+[15] = 30

(19,11) crit. (17)+[15] =32
(11,1) miss
(10,4) miss
If I calculated your movement correctly, you have 30ft from base race, 10ft from longstrider, and 10ft from mobile, meaning you have a speed of 50ft, which isn't enough for the 60ft distance of the lich to be within melee. You may have to take the dash action to get within melee.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 02:29 PM
If I calculated your movement correctly, you have 30ft from base race, 10ft from longstrider, and 10ft from mobile, meaning you have a speed of 50ft, which isn't enough for the 60ft distance of the lich to be within melee. You may have to take the dash action to get within melee.

**Glaive is 10ft so barely reach her. Forgot to turn on flame on weapon**

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 02:43 PM
**Glaive is 10ft so barely reach her. Forgot to turn on flame on weapon**
Ah, I see. That would mean, however, that your attacks have disadvantage since you're not within 5ft of the lich.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 03:04 PM
Ah, I see. That would mean, however, that your attacks have disadvantage since you're not within 5ft of the lich.

**Ack another rule Ive changed. Seriously who came up with that concept. Knocking foes over and then hitting them is 90% of what pole arms were designed to do**

Meat stick uses bonus action to activate his flame tongue and then makes his three attacks with GWM
Two misses and a critical hit with an 18.
Damage (23)+[15] =38

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 03:13 PM
**Ack another rule Ive changed. Seriously who came up with that concept. Knocking foes over and then hitting them is 90% of what pole arms were designed to do**

Meat stick uses bonus action to activate his flame tongue and then makes his three attacks with GWM
Two misses and a critical hit with an 18.
Damage (23)+[15] =38
Alright, then the lich casts ray of frost at the cleric.

[17]+12=29
[4]+[2]+[4]+[6] = 16 damage at the cleric.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 04:23 PM
Alright, then the lich casts ray of frost at the cleric.

[17]+12=29
[4]+[2]+[4]+[6] = 16 damage at the cleric.

The wizards are going to step in front of the cleric.
"I think you might have forgotten about me"
He casts DD to teleport the cleric and himself 90 ft on the other side of the lich.

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 04:55 PM
The wizards are going to step in front of the cleric.
"I think you might have forgotten about me"
He casts DD to teleport the cleric and himself 90 ft on the other side of the lich.
The lich casts a 4th-level counterspell. She then targets meat stick with a frightening gaze. Have them make a wisdom saving throw or be frightened.

"I assure you, I haven't forgotten."

**Also, I just noticed you have Resilient:Wis on meat stick. I'm not sure if that was intentional, I thought we weren't doing resilient feats.**

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 05:14 PM
The lich casts a 4th-level counterspell. She then targets meat stick with a frightening gaze. Have them make a wisdom saving throw or be frightened.

"I assure you, I haven't forgotten."

**Also, I just noticed you have Resilient:Wis on meat stick. I'm not sure if that was intentional, I thought we weren't doing resilient feats.**

**Crap you are right. It's an auto pick for any Frontliner I make that doesn't have any save boosters. I'll switch it out for... observant. So wis score remains the same**

(16)+[2]=18 for Wis save.

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 05:20 PM
**Crap you are right. It's an auto pick for any Frontliner I make that doesn't have any save boosters. I'll switch it out for... observant. So wis score remains the same**

(16)+[2]=18 for Wis save.
**Guh, this is getting ridiculous..., where's my luck**

Its now the cleric's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 05:25 PM
**Guh, this is getting ridiculous..., where's my luck**

Its now the cleric's turn.

**Used it all on the cleric lol.**
Cleric is going to cast heal and recover 78 HP. Back up to 106. He going to move behind the nearest pillar, say left side.

** With reduced speed he might not make it**

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 05:30 PM
**Used it all on the cleric lol.**
Cleric is going to cast heal and recover 78 HP. Back up to 106. He going to move behind the nearest pillar, say left side.

** With reduced speed he might not make it**
He won't, but he's close. Its now the archer's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 05:49 PM
He won't, but he's close. Its now the archer's turn.
He is going to lean out and go for broke with SS
(19)+12. Critical (7)+15= 22
(11)+12= 22 (4)+15= 19
(2) lucky reroll(4)+12 miss
(2)+12. Miss

Action surge

(11)+12=22 (1)+15=16
(20)+12 critical (5)+15 =20
(Nat 1) halfling luck R(18)+12
Critical (3)+15=18

**Scratch edit. I had it the first time**

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 06:01 PM
He is going to lean out and go for broke with SS
(19)+12. (7)+15= 22
(11)+12. (4)+15= 19
(2) lucky reroll(4)+12 miss
(2)+12. Miss

Action surge

(11)+12 (1)+15=16
(20)+12. (5)+15 =20
(Nat 1) halfling luck R(18)+12
(3)+15=18
**I'm confused about the +12...

+5 for dex, +5 for proficiency, +2 for archery style and -5 for SS.

That should be a +7 to-hit, rather than a +12. It actually doesn't matter at the moment, but its something to keep in mind.**

Alright, an additional 95 damage done to the lich. She's reeling, but she's not out. She walks forwards 5ft to meatstick and says "Go, quietly, to the shadowfell."

She casts plane shift on meat stick. (8th level).

[20]+12 critical, automatically hits. Meatstick must make a DC 20 charisma saving throw, but I don't think he's able to succeed, so its automatic.

Next, a beam of necrotic energy attempts to latch itself onto the cleric. Have them make a DC 18 constitution saving throw. In this position, she's is in view of the archer.

stoutstien
2021-09-22, 06:27 PM
**I'm confused about the +12...

+5 for dex, +5 for proficiency, +2 for archery style and -5 for SS.

That should be a +7 to-hit, rather than a +12. It actually doesn't matter at the moment, but its something to keep in mind.**

Alright, an additional 95 damage done to the lich. She's reeling, but she's not out. She walks forwards 5ft to meatstick and says "Go, quietly, to the shadowfell."

She casts plane shift on meat stick. (8th level).

[20]+12 critical, automatically hits. Meatstick must make a DC 20 charisma saving throw, but I don't think he's able to succeed, so its automatic.

Next, a beam of necrotic energy attempts to latch itself onto the cleric. Have them make a DC 18 constitution saving throw. In this position, she's is in view of the archer.

**I just subtract from the dice roll
(Excluding crits and Nat 1for halfling) for SS/GWM to show it's direct impact but I can move the value to it's own space if you like to make it easier to read.**

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 06:45 PM
**I just subtract from the dice roll
(Excluding crits and Nat 1for halfling) for SS/GWM to show it's direct impact but I can move the value to it's own space if you like to make it easier to read.**
If you could do that, I'd appreciate it thanks.

Asisreo1
2021-09-22, 07:24 PM
And in case you missed it, its wiz's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-23, 04:47 AM
**sorry fell asleep.**

Wizard is going to attempt to counterspell the lich' using his 6th lv slot
(18)+5=23
If fails meat sticks Cha save
(12)-[1]=11
Indomitable
(19)-[1]=1

Clerics con save for tether
(13)+3=16

Wizards turn will be used to ready a 5th level magic missile if lich counter's counterspell(trigger will be mental que sent by cleric via Ray's bond) and if not he will use PW:S.

Asisreo1
2021-09-23, 05:37 AM
**sorry fell asleep.**

Wizard is going to attempt to counterspell the lich' using his 6th lv slot
(18)+5=23
If fails meat sticks Cha save
(12)-[1]=11
Indomitable
(19)-[1]=1

Clerics con save for tether
(13)+3=16

Wizards turn will be used to ready a 5th level magic missile if lich counter's counterspell(trigger will be mental que sent by cleric via Ray's bond) and if not he will use PW:S.
The lich doesn't counter counterspell, as the initial counterspell simply fails. As for PW:S, the lich uses an 8th-level counterspell.

The lich then uses frightening gaze on the archer, have them make a wisdom save or be frightened. It is now the cleric's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-23, 06:09 AM
The lich doesn't counter counterspell, as the initial counterspell simply fails. As for PW:S, the lich uses an 8th-level counterspell.

The lich then uses frightening gaze on the archer, have them make a wisdom save or be frightened. It is now the cleric's turn.

**May I ask why the initial counter spell failed**

Asisreo1
2021-09-23, 06:59 AM
**May I ask why the initial counter spell failed**
Globe of Invulnerability stops all spells below 5th-level cast outside the sphere, including lower level spells upcasted such as a 6th-level counterspell.

stoutstien
2021-09-23, 08:42 AM
Globe of Invulnerability stops all spells below 5th-level cast outside the sphere, including lower level spells upcasted such as a 6th-level counterspell.
**Ok just verifying that my wizard made the "wrong" decision for the right reasons lol. **

Halfling ST
(20/2) + [2]=22

Cleric will cast dispel magic on dome/globe using 3rd lv slot
(13)+5=18

Asisreo1
2021-09-23, 08:51 AM
**Ok just verifying that my wizard made the "wrong" decision for the right reasons lol. **

Halfling ST
(20/2) + [2]=22

Cleric will cast dispel magic on dome/globe using 3rd lv slot
(13)+5=18
Alright, the globe disappears. The lich casts Ray of Frost at the Cleric.

[19]+12=31
[6]+[6]+[8]+[5] = 25 damage at the cleric. Its now the archer's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-23, 08:57 AM
Alright, the globe disappears. The lich casts Ray of Frost at the Cleric.

[19]+12=31
[6]+[6]+[8]+[5] = 25 damage at the cleric. Its now the archer's turn.

Archer is going to make he's 4 attacks with SS
(13)+7=23 (2)+15=17
(11)+7=18. (4)+15=19
(8)+7= miss
(18)+7=crit (5)+15=20

Asisreo1
2021-09-23, 09:49 AM
Archer is going to make he's 4 attacks with SS
(13)+7=23 (2)+15=17
(11)+7=18. (4)+15=19
(8)+7= miss
(18)+7=crit (5)+15=20
The lich takes 28 damage. She's literally on death's door. The cleric takes 28 damage as well. The lich casts a 9th-level disintegrate on the cleric, dealing

[75]+40=115 force damage on a failed dex save. If that reduces him to 0, he turns to dust.

The lich laughs "Perhaps I might not live, but I'll be sure one of you surely dies!"

He then moves towards the archer.

stoutstien
2021-09-23, 11:45 AM
The lich takes 28 damage. She's literally on death's door. The cleric takes 28 damage as well. The lich casts a 9th-level disintegrate on the cleric, dealing

[75]+40=115 force damage on a failed dex save. If that reduces him to 0, he turns to dust.

The lich laughs "Perhaps I might not live, but I'll be sure one of you surely dies!"

He then moves towards the archer.
Wizard is going toss out a counterspell at lv 3
(16)+5=21

If counter/counterspell cleric save

(19)+[1]=20

**Of all the saves on this bout the cleric makes this one..

Powerword:kill would have done him in.**

Asisreo1
2021-09-23, 07:59 PM
Wizard is going toss out a counterspell at lv 3
(16)+5=21

If counter/counterspell cleric save

(19)+[1]=20

**Of all the saves on this bout the cleric makes this one..

Powerword:kill would have done him in.**
Agh, I miscalculated HP. Anyways, she would have counterspelled and the cleric dodges out of the way. The lich essentially dies within the next round so we probably don't need to continue this round.

stoutstien
2021-09-24, 04:44 AM
Agh, I miscalculated HP. Anyways, she would have counterspelled and the cleric dodges out of the way. The lich essentially dies within the next round so we probably don't need to continue this round.

**NP. Guess meat stick will have to wait a day to get gated back unless the cleric can roll enough for divine intervention. Nope (31).

The wizard and cleric wasting the first few rounds definitely made this deadly for the party and SS is just easier to leverage thanks to archery and range.

The largest factor I see for this party that lacks a lot of ways to directly counter is the turn order. Starting in the open and in close proximity means it's a coin flip if they can get out of that position before getting blasted

Without statics bonuses via feats, class features, or magical items the chances of reliably making saves dives into the dicey range fast. The DMG isn't good at explaining this part of the game at all. The difference the paladin made even with a so-so Cha made it shift to almost a medium encounter.

For example we just look at the sharp shooting champion fighter and gave it a plus three crossbow that means they would only need to roll 8s or higher to land SS attacks if they catch them without the ability to shield. That means they would have a good chance to carve 1/2 the lich's HP away per action And that's with the fighter that basically doesn't have a subclass.

Asisreo1
2021-09-24, 07:52 AM
**NP. Guess meat stick will have to wait a day to get gated back unless the cleric can roll enough for divine intervention. Nope (31).

The wizard and cleric wasting the first few rounds definitely made this deadly for the party and SS is just easier to leverage thanks to archery and range.

The largest factor I see for this party that lacks a lot of ways to directly counter is the turn order. Starting in the open and in close proximity means it's a coin flip if they can get out of that position before getting blasted

Without statics bonuses via feats, class features, or magical items the chances of reliably making saves dives into the dicey range fast. The DMG isn't good at explaining this part of the game at all. The difference the paladin made even with a so-so Cha made it shift to almost a medium encounter.

For example we just look at the sharp shooting champion fighter and gave it a plus three crossbow that means they would only need to roll 8s or higher to land SS attacks if they catch them without the ability to shield. That means they would have a good chance to carve 1/2 the lich's HP away per action And that's with the fighter that basically doesn't have a subclass.
Yep. Personally, I also learned exactly what a lich's gimmick is over the course of the combats.

At first, I *was* married to the idea of "use PWK" at some point, but the setup takes too long unless I squeezed a few legendary actions and lair actions this turn. Liches are much better in round 1 and giving a party time to setup makes the game easier on them.

I very much agree that save-based bonuses really help with this fight in-particular, the lich just doesn't have amazing non-saving throw abilities and they all basically land with wisdom or constitution. And that the +# weapons boost the usability of SS and GWM.

Hmm...I'm tempted to play one more time, but this time I'll remove the additional restrictions such as "No resilient feats" or "no +#" items and have a party of not just PHB classes.

stoutstien
2021-09-24, 11:13 AM
Yep. Personally, I also learned exactly what a lich's gimmick is over the course of the combats.

At first, I *was* married to the idea of "use PWK" at some point, but the setup takes too long unless I squeezed a few legendary actions and lair actions this turn. Liches are much better in round 1 and giving a party time to setup makes the game easier on them.

I very much agree that save-based bonuses really help with this fight in-particular, the lich just doesn't have amazing non-saving throw abilities and they all basically land with wisdom or constitution. And that the +# weapons boost the usability of SS and GWM.

Hmm...I'm tempted to play one more time, but this time I'll remove the additional restrictions such as "No resilient feats" or "no +#" items and have a party of not just PHB classes.
What level of tactical savvy?
On a scale of 1-10 the first group I did was about a 5 and the second one was a 3. Ill keep the cheese to the minimum.

**All this is good practice for me as we to think like a party of individuals rather than a DM. It's an interesting paradigm shift because I don't do blow by blow for my encounter planning unless it's something I think might be over tuned. **

Asisreo1
2021-09-24, 02:06 PM
What level of tactical savvy?
On a scale of 1-10 the first group I did was about a 5 and the second one was a 3. Ill keep the cheese to the minimum.

**All this is good practice for me as we to think like a party of individuals rather than a DM. It's an interesting paradigm shift because I don't do blow by blow for my encounter planning unless it's something I think might be over tuned. **
You can be as tactical as you want. Really, I'd change up the arena since its actually not very conducive to the boss fight at-hand. But, I'll leave it as-is for now. If you're up for this last fight, I'll get to working on another one with a different enemy, or enemies depending on the situation.

The next fight, if there is one, will be a bit more tailored in a way that I would challenge a party when the goal is to, well, challenge the party.

stoutstien
2021-09-24, 02:37 PM
You can be as tactical as you want. Really, I'd change up the arena since its actually not very conducive to the boss fight at-hand. But, I'll leave it as-is for now. If you're up for this last fight, I'll get to working on another one with a different enemy, or enemies depending on the situation.

The next fight, if there is one, will be a bit more tailored in a way that I would challenge a party when the goal is to, well, challenge the party.

Okay it might be a few days before I get a party whip together. I have my own session tonight and tomorrow the wife surprised me by signing us up for an adventure race. So I got to dig out my equipment to see if I can still read a compass.

Asisreo1
2021-09-24, 08:04 PM
Okay it might be a few days before I get a party whip together. I have my own session tonight and tomorrow the wife surprised me by signing us up for an adventure race. So I got to dig out my equipment to see if I can still read a compass.
That's fine. If Frogreaver is still here, I'd like to make a fight with a different single-enemy deadly encounter. The creature will be RAW from the monster manual.

This time, I won't reveal what the creature is before the fight nor the conditions. This is to emulate building your characters as if they were made for a campaign rather than an adventure.

I will say that all options are as before open and you can choose any feats, multiclassing, source book (the main 3), and other optional things. You also get full, unrestricted access to one very rare magic item and two rare magic items.

The level of the characters can be level 17 this time. (Congrats, 9th-level spells).

Prebuffing can include a single instance of simulacra, but no cheese.

Frogreaver
2021-09-24, 08:32 PM

I agree you've found the Lich's niche. Direct damage with some minor control seems to do well. I think PWK is to scare the heck out of lower level parties. It's a nice, if you don't have 100 hp this fight just got alot harder kind of thing.

I'll have to map out the party. May use the one I had before. Haven't decided yet. I refuse to use simulcarum though.

Asisreo1
2021-09-24, 10:18 PM
I agree you've found the Lich's niche. Direct damage with some minor control seems to do well. I think PWK is to scare the heck out of lower level parties. It's a nice, if you don't have 100 hp this fight just got alot harder kind of thing.

I'll have to map out the party. May use the one I had before. Haven't decided yet. I refuse to use simulcarum though.
Yep. When you're all set, post the party on this thread.

I'll also note that I believe this next fight will be appropriately difficult compared to the Lich. The lich is a spellcaster with alot of spells and I, personally, dislike playing spellcasters in general aside from clerics and sorcerers. I think I was also at a playstyle disadvantage.

Asisreo1
2021-09-25, 07:51 PM
I also want to state that prepared casters have the opportunity to change their spell list before the fight to emulate a party that has at least some information about the fight.

Frogreaver
2021-09-26, 10:46 AM
I also want to state that prepared casters have the opportunity to change their spell list before the fight to emulate a party that has at least some information about the fight.

Working on the details, but I'm going to keep the party about the same. Only change is dropping the Barbarian/Rogue for a Hexblade Warlock.

I'll work through the spell and item details in a bit.

stoutstien
2021-09-27, 02:49 PM
Got mine together. You still want no multiclassing and same magic item distribution with 2 rare (trade 1 for 2 uncommon) and one very rare?

Asisreo1
2021-09-27, 03:24 PM
Got mine together. You still want no multiclassing and same magic item distribution with 2 rare (trade 1 for 2 uncommon) and one very rare?

You can multiclass if you want, but the magic items are correct. I'll be back later for the final lich fight.

Asisreo1
2021-09-27, 07:10 PM
You can multiclass if you want, but the magic items are correct. I'll be back later for the final lich fight.
The lich rolled a [6]+3=9 for initiative.

Don't forget to post the stats in the thread.

Asisreo1
2021-09-28, 05:46 PM
Working on the details, but I'm going to keep the party about the same. Only change is dropping the Barbarian/Rogue for a Hexblade Warlock.

I'll work through the spell and item details in a bit.
Have you finalized your team?

stoutstien
2021-09-28, 07:22 PM
The lich rolled a [6]+3=9 for initiative.

Don't forget to post the stats in the thread.
H elf 14 clockwork sorcerer/ 2
bard
8 15 16 8 10 17 **before ASI**

Feats: meta magic adept , fey touched +1 Cha, med armoured +1 dex.

AC-20
HP -116

Items: cloak of protection,+1 shield, +2 bloodwell vial, robe of stars

Meta magic
Heightened, quicken, subtle, twin, distant

Spells:

Prestidigitation,blade Ward, minor illusion, fire bolt, mage hand, mending, mind sliver, mold Earth

Shield,AE, AoA, fog cloud

Aid, levitate, rope trick, Tasha's mind whip

Counter spell, fly, erupting earth

Polymorph, fabricate, banishment, dimension door

Telekinesis, passwall, transmute rock

Disintegrate, globe of invulnerability

Crown of stars, plane shift

8th lv slot but no spell known

Misc spells
Bard spells known
Cure wounds,charm person, command, long strider, Tasha's HL

Fey touched spells
Misty step
Dis whispers

***Support caster that I took the big minion spells off of diet to ToM limits. Plantar binding is stupid good on this guy. Lots of save of suck/check or die and cheap buffing.**

Forest gnome artillerist
8 14 16 17 10 8 *before ASI*
Feats- shadow touched+1 int, get touched +1 int, observant +1 int, ritual caster

AC- ranges from 17-23 depending con load out.
HP 131

Items- staff of power, cloak of protection, +1 all purpose tool, staff of woodland

Infusions known *prepared*
*Winged boots
*Ring of protection
*Enhanced defense
*Homunculus servant
*Amulet of health
Belt of giant strength
Spell wrought tattoo
Ring of mind shielding
Mind sharpener
Spell refueling ring

Spells prepared
Boom blade, guidance, thornwhip, ray of frost

Thunder wave, shield, cure wounds, AE, grease, feather fall, farie fire, sanctuary, Tasha's caustic brew, catapult

Scorching ray, shatter, web, lesser restoration

Fireball, revivify, wind wall, dispel magic

Ice storm, wall of fire, arcane eye, fabricate

Misc spells

Invisibility
Misty step
Hex
Silent image

Spell storing item (cure wounds)

Eldritch blast via all purpose tool

Ritual feat *assumed only have had excess to wizard rituals on own list plus starting two.*
Find familiar, unseen servant, alarm, detect magic, identify, purify food/drink, magic mouth, skywrite, water breathing/walking

***Support utility caster with some blasting on the side. Acts as a stop loss for anything else the party is missing. Moon lights as the rouge stand in**

Celestial pact of chain lock 15/ life cleric 1
8 14 13 10 13 18 *before ASI*
Feats- infernal constitution +1 con, fey touched +1 Cha, +2 Cha

AC 20
HP 148

Items- amulet of health*from artificer*,+1 shield, periapt of health, spell storing ring (2 shield, 2AE, 1 fog cloud),+3 rod of pact keeper.

Invocations- Agonizing blast, repelling blast, gift of ever living one, grasp of Hadar, tomb of levistus, shroud of shadow, eldritch mind

Spells
Eldritch blast, light, create bonfire, minor illusion, mage hand, thaumaturgy,mending, guidance, resistance, sacred flame

Synaptic snap, wall of fire, cloud of daggers, counter spell, dispel magic, revivify, darkness, hex, greater restoration, hellish rebuke, banishment, shadow of moil,thunder step

Summon fiend

Force cage

Madding darkness

Misc spells

Cleric spells
Shield of faith, cure wounds, bless, prot g/e

Misty step
Bless
Hellish rebuke lv 2
Darkenss

**Support blaster/tank/healer with a edge for forced movement. Resistance to 3 of the most common elemental and maximized healing makes this guy mobile dead zone for enemies to deal with.**

V human rune knight 15/ peace cleric 1
12 16 15 8 13 10 *before ASI*
Feats- skill expert +1 con (Athletics), gunner +1 dex, resil Wis +1 Wis, piercer +1 dex, SS, +2 dex

AC 18
HP 148

Items- oath bow, staff of healing, cloak of protection, quiver of ehlonna

Runes
Fire,cloud, stone,hill, storm

Spells
Guidance, mending, toll the dead

Heroism, sanctuary, healing word, bless, prot g/e

**Support and a little Nova damage. Clutch action manipulation makes him a solid off tank when needed regardless of location. Coupled with skill boosts from runes and Giants might can fill in as meat stick.**

***Odd party I know but I love flexible support builds***

**Pre buffs- 2 twinned long strider so everyone has it, 2nd level aid on everyone but fighter, and guidance on everyone but sorcerer. Artificer will start will just one ballista cannon being carried by his homunculus and APT/ staff of power in hands. Fighter will have up emboldening bond. Thp from lock will go to party + homunculus. Lock's imp familiar will avoid any real action by staying at least 50 ft behind the party acting as a rear scout. If he needs to enter room he will fly as high as he can and use his actions to dodge/dash to stay out of sight.**

Initiative rolls
Fighter (17)+(4)+(2)+[5] 28
warlock (10)+(3)+(3)+[2] 18
Artificer (7)+(1)+(4)+[2] 14
Sorcerer (7)+[2]+(2)+[3] 14

Asisreo1
2021-09-29, 04:16 PM
H elf 14 clockwork sorcerer/ 2
bard
8 15 16 8 10 17 **before ASI**

Feats: meta magic adept , fey touched +1 Cha, med armoured +1 dex.

AC-20
HP -116

Items: cloak of protection,+1 shield, +2 bloodwell vial, robe of stars

Meta magic
Heightened, quicken, subtle, twin, distant

Spells:

Prestidigitation,blade Ward, minor illusion, fire bolt, mage hand, mending, mind sliver, mold Earth

Shield,AE, AoA, fog cloud

Aid, levitate, rope trick, Tasha's mind whip

Counter spell, fly, erupting earth

Polymorph, fabricate, banishment, dimension door

Telekinesis, passwall, transmute rock

Disintegrate, globe of invulnerability

Crown of stars, plane shift

8th lv slot but no spell known

Misc spells
Bard spells known
Cure wounds,charm person, command, long strider, Tasha's HL

Fey touched spells
Misty step
Dis whispers

***Support caster that I took the big minion spells off of diet to ToM limits. Plantar binding is stupid good on this guy. Lots of save of suck/check or die and cheap buffing.**

Forest gnome artillerist
8 14 16 17 10 8 *before ASI*
Feats- shadow touched+1 int, get touched +1 int, observant +1 int, ritual caster

AC- ranges from 17-23 depending con load out.
HP 131

Items- staff of power, cloak of protection, +1 all purpose tool, staff of woodland

Infusions known *prepared*
*Winged boots
*Ring of protection
*Enhanced defense
*Homunculus servant
*Amulet of health
Belt of giant strength
Spell wrought tattoo
Ring of mind shielding
Mind sharpener
Spell refueling ring

Spells prepared
Boom blade, guidance, thornwhip, ray of frost

Thunder wave, shield, cure wounds, AE, grease, feather fall, farie fire, sanctuary, Tasha's caustic brew, catapult

Scorching ray, shatter, web, lesser restoration

Fireball, revivify, wind wall, dispel magic

Ice storm, wall of fire, arcane eye, fabricate

Misc spells

Invisibility
Misty step
Hex
Silent image

Spell storing item (cure wounds)

Eldritch blast via all purpose tool

Ritual feat *assumed only have had excess to wizard rituals on own list plus starting two.*
Find familiar, unseen servant, alarm, detect magic, identify, purify food/drink, magic mouth, skywrite, water breathing/walking

***Support utility caster with some blasting on the side. Acts as a stop loss for anything else the party is missing. Moon lights as the rouge stand in**

Celestial pact of chain lock 15/ life cleric 1
8 14 13 10 13 18 *before ASI*
Feats- infernal constitution +1 con, fey touched +1 Cha, +2 Cha

AC 20
HP 148

Items- amulet of health*from artificer*,+1 shield, periapt of health, spell storing ring (2 shield, 2AE, 1 fog cloud),+3 rod of pact keeper.

Invocations- Agonizing blast, repelling blast, gift of ever living one, grasp of Hadar, tomb of levistus, shroud of shadow, eldritch mind

Spells
Eldritch blast, light, create bonfire, minor illusion, mage hand, thaumaturgy,mending, guidance, resistance, sacred flame

Synaptic snap, wall of fire, cloud of daggers, counter spell, dispel magic, revivify, darkness, hex, greater restoration, hellish rebuke, banishment, shadow of moil,thunder step

Summon fiend

Force cage

Madding darkness

Misc spells

Cleric spells
Shield of faith, cure wounds, bless, prot g/e

Misty step
Bless
Hellish rebuke lv 2
Darkenss

**Support blaster/tank/healer with a edge for forced movement. Resistance to 3 of the most common elemental and maximized healing makes this guy mobile dead zone for enemies to deal with.**

V human rune knight 15/ peace cleric 1
12 16 15 8 13 10 *before ASI*
Feats- skill expert +1 con (Athletics), gunner +1 dex, resil Wis +1 Wis, piercer +1 dex, SS, +2 dex

AC 18
HP 148

Items- oath bow, staff of healing, cloak of protection, quiver of ehlonna

Runes
Fire,cloud, stone,hill, storm

Spells
Guidance, mending, toll the dead

Heroism, sanctuary, healing word, bless, prot g/e

**Support and a little Nova damage. Clutch action manipulation makes him a solid off tank when needed regardless of location. Coupled with skill boosts from runes and Giants might can fill in as meat stick.**

***Odd party I know but I love flexible support builds***

**Pre buffs- 2 twinned long strider so everyone has it, 2nd level aid on everyone but fighter, and guidance on everyone but sorcerer. Artificer will start will just one ballista cannon being carried by his homunculus and APT/ staff of power in hands. Fighter will have up emboldening bond. Thp from lock will go to party + homunculus. Lock's imp familiar will avoid any real action by staying at least 50 ft behind the party acting as a rear scout. If he needs to enter room he will fly as high as he can and use his actions to dodge/dash to stay out of sight.**

Initiative rolls
Fighter (17)+(4)+(2)+[5] 28
warlock (10)+(3)+(3)+[2] 18
Artificer (7)+(1)+(4)+[2] 14
Sorcerer (7)+[2]+(2)+[3] 14
Ugh, being last in initiative always sucks. Oh well.

You see a glimmering barrier surround a decrepit woman 50ft away. She has an aura of death itself and three duplicates surround her, causing a fuzzy illusion that makes her especially difficult to target.

It is currently the fighter's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-29, 05:31 PM
Ugh, being last in initiative always sucks. Oh well.

You see a glimmering barrier surround a decrepit woman 50ft away. She has an aura of death itself and three duplicates surround her, causing a fuzzy illusion that makes her especially difficult to target.

It is currently the fighter's turn.

**Aye. I'm a fan of multiple initiatives for boss type NPCs rather than lair and legendary actions. Also prevents just relying on one reaction the whole round.**

Fighter is just going fire off 3 arrows while making his way to pillars on left. During the move he will use his bonus action to activate storm rune.
(19)+12= 31. (7)+5= 11
(14)+12=24. (4)+5= 9
(6)+12= 18. (2)+5 =7

If one hits the actual lich will use fire rune to deal extra (5) fire damage and will need to make a 16 strength ST or be restrained.
**Worded I a way to prevent wasting it on illusions. Have to hit a creature.**

Asisreo1
2021-09-29, 05:39 PM
**Aye. I'm a fan of multiple initiatives for boss type NPCs rather than lair and legendary actions. Also prevents just relying on one reaction the whole round.**

Fighter is just going fire off 3 arrows while making his way to pillars on left. During the move he will use his bonus action to activate storm rune.
(19)+12= 31. (7)+5= 11
(14)+12=24. (4)+5= 9
(6)+12= 18. (2)+5 =7

If one hits the actual lich will use fire rune to deal extra (5) fire damage and will need to make a 16 strength ST or be restrained.
**Worded I a way to prevent wasting it on illusions. Have to hit a creature.**
Duplicate Rolls:
[16] Hits a duplicate
[18]Hits a duplicate
[20]Hits a duplicate

The Lich then casts Ray of Frost at the Fighter.

[19]+12=31

[1]+[3]+[3]+[6] = 13 damage.

stoutstien
2021-09-29, 05:47 PM
Duplicate Rolls:
[16] Hits a duplicate
[18]Hits a duplicate
[20]Hits a duplicate

The Lich then casts Ray of Frost at the Fighter.

[19]+12=31

[1]+[3]+[3]+[6] = 13 damage.

**Fighter should be behind full cover via pillar. With 40 speed should be able to reach it but honestly I'm going from memory**

Asisreo1
2021-09-29, 06:01 PM
**Fighter should be behind full cover via pillar. With 40 speed should be able to reach it but honestly I'm going from memory**
Sure, she instead targets the artillerist.

stoutstien
2021-09-29, 06:09 PM
Sure, she instead targets the artillerist.

After THP he takes 1 damage and speed sapped by 10.

**Am I the only one who is bugged that speed reduction is more effective against those who have more movement types to get?**

Asisreo1
2021-09-29, 06:33 PM
After THP he takes 1 damage and speed sapped by 10.

**Am I the only one who is bugged that speed reduction is more effective against those who have more movement types to get?**
Honestly, IDK. A specter appears and attacks the Artillerist, doing [54] necrotic damage on fail or [27] on success.

It is now the Warlock's turn.

stoutstien
2021-09-29, 06:48 PM
Honestly, IDK. A specter appears and attacks the Artillerist, doing [54] necrotic damage on fail or [27] on success.

It is now the Warlock's turn.
Save
(12)+[12] =24
At 109 HP

Warlock will move up 10 ft and Misty step into globe aiming for just inside it on same side as door. Will wait to see if counter counterspell comes into play before finishing turn.

Asisreo1
2021-09-29, 08:22 PM
Save
(12)+[12] =24
At 109 HP

Warlock will move up 10 ft and Misty step into globe aiming for just inside it on same side as door. Will wait to see if counter counterspell comes into play before finishing turn.
Nah, but she once again targets the artillerist with a Ray of Frost.

[13]+12=25
[5]+[2]+[3]+[8]=18

Should have asked this before we started, but its your call if the sorcerer or artificer goes next.

stoutstien
2021-09-30, 04:42 AM
Nah, but she once again targets the artillerist with a Ray of Frost.

[13]+12=25
[5]+[2]+[3]+[8]=18

Should have asked this before we started, but its your call if the sorcerer or artificer goes next.

Warlock is going to drop a wall of fire cutting the room in half from left to right in the space between the lich and warlock. Lich will need to make a dex save (21). Taking (33) fire damage on fail save for half.

Fighter pops a Rune shield making lich reroll attack on artificer.

**Taking a gamble on rune shield. Smart move would be just use AE for the cold resistance but I like the ~50/50 chance on making it a miss**

Asisreo1
2021-09-30, 07:03 AM
Warlock is going to drop a wall of fire cutting the room in half from left to right in the space between the lich and warlock. Lich will need to make a dex save (21). Taking (33) fire damage on fail save for half.

Fighter pops a Rune shield making lich reroll attack on artificer.

**Taking a gamble on rune shield. Smart move would be just use AE for the cold resistance but I like the ~50/50 chance on making it a miss**
The Warlock has already casted a Bonus Action spell and can only use their Cast a Spell action for cantrips.

stoutstien
2021-09-30, 08:40 AM
The Warlock has already casted a Bonus Action spell and can only use their Cast a Spell action for cantrips.
Fair. EB volley
(12)+13=25. (4)+5=9 repelling
(14)+13=27. (1)+5=6 repelling
(5)+13=18. (2)+5=7. Repelling

Asisreo1
2021-09-30, 08:51 AM
Fair. EB volley
(12)+13=25. (4)+5=9 repelling
(14)+13=27. (1)+5=6 repelling
(5)+13=18. (2)+5=7. Repelling
The lich casts a 4th-level counterspell.

stoutstien
2021-09-30, 11:48 AM
The lich casts a 4th-level counterspell.
**Ok still need a reroll for last ray of frost on artificer.**

Artificer is going to cast dispel magic on the globe using a 3rd slot.
(7)+5+ reaction flash of genius for +5 =17

Bonus action EC
(8)+13=21. (13) damage and a five ft shove back.

Homunculus will stay hovering(dodging) there to keep artificer, sorcerer, and self in half cover bubble.

Asisreo1
2021-09-30, 02:31 PM
**Ok still need a reroll for last ray of frost on artificer.**

Artificer is going to cast dispel magic on the globe using a 3rd slot.
(7)+5+ reaction flash of genius for +5 =17

Bonus action EC
(8)+13=21. (13) damage and a five ft shove back.

Homunculus will stay hovering(dodging) there to keep artificer, sorcerer, and self in half cover bubble.

Reroll: [10]+12 = 22

The dispel magic fails and the lich once again casts Ray of Frost on the Artificer:

[4]+12=16 (probably miss)

She also takes the 13 damage from the cannon and is pushed back

stoutstien
2021-09-30, 02:58 PM
Reroll: [10]+12 = 22

The dispel magic fails and the lich once again casts Ray of Frost on the Artificer:

[4]+12=16 (probably miss)

She also takes the 13 damage from the cannon and is pushed back

**Both miss. Well this particular strategy is going to limit my options a little bit lol.**

Sorcerer is going to toss lock a BI die and going to drop a fog cloud between warlock and rest of the party at lv 1.

Asisreo1
2021-09-30, 07:30 PM
**Both miss. Well this particular strategy is going to limit my options a little bit lol.**

Sorcerer is going to toss lock a BI die and going to drop a fog cloud between warlock and rest of the party at lv 1.
Alright. The fog cloud appears between the warlock and the rest of the party. The Lich then casts Ray of Frost towards the direction of the artificer, the fog cancels advantage and disadvantage.

[15]+12=27

[6]+[7]+[6]+[8]=27

Huh, wouldya lookit that.

Anyways, the lich moves towards the Fighter and casts Plane Shift on the fighter. I believe they're in the fog cloud, correct me if I'm wrong.

[18]+12 =30

Please make a charisma saving throw for the fighter.

stoutstien
2021-09-30, 07:40 PM
Alright. The fog cloud appears between the warlock and the rest of the party. The Lich then casts Ray of Frost towards the direction of the artificer, the fog cancels advantage and disadvantage.

[15]+12=27

[6]+[7]+[6]+[8]=27

Huh, wouldya lookit that.

Anyways, the lich moves towards the Fighter and casts Plane Shift on the fighter. I believe they're in the fog cloud, correct me if I'm wrong.

[18]+12 =30

Please make a charisma saving throw for the fighter.

(12)+1=13

**Lost another martial for 12 hours lol**

Asisreo1
2021-09-30, 07:48 PM
(12)+1=13

**Lost another martial for 12 hours lol**
Then I guess its the warlock's turn.

Also, necrotic energy collects inside the fog cloud.

stoutstien
2021-10-01, 04:45 AM
Then I guess its the warlock's turn.

Also, necrotic energy collects inside the fog cloud.

**Miscounted squares in my head. Thought the fighter was ~ 35-40 ft away with artificer shove back.**

Warlock is going to move out of the cloud in the direction of the party and cast cloud of daggers centered on the lich's location. (21) slashing damage and then use healing light (5) dice on the artificer healing for (24)

Asisreo1
2021-10-01, 07:27 AM
**Miscounted squares in my head. Thought the fighter was ~ 35-40 ft away with artificer shove back.**

Warlock is going to move out of the cloud in the direction of the party and cast cloud of daggers centered on the lich's location. (21) slashing damage and then use healing light (5) dice on the artificer healing for (24)
Alright. I'll play this RAW according to Sage Advice. Since CoD damages at the start of her turn or when she enters the area for the first time, she doesn't take immediate damage. She only takes damage if the Cloud of Daggers is still on her when her turn starts.

That said, she's going to cast Ray of Frost on the Warlock.

[4]+12=16 probably a miss.

It is now the Artificer's turn.

stoutstien
2021-10-01, 08:41 AM
Alright. I'll play this RAW according to Sage Advice. Since CoD damages at the start of her turn or when she enters the area for the first time, she doesn't take immediate damage. She only takes damage if the Cloud of Daggers is still on her when her turn starts.

That said, she's going to cast Ray of Frost on the Warlock.

[4]+12=16 probably a miss.

It is now the Artificer's turn.

Will cast thorn whip to pull lich 5ft closer
(12)+13=25. (9)+(2)=11

Then bonus action EB blast her back in the CoD.

(14)+13=27. (4)+(3)+(8)=15

CoD proc (26)
**I can see the ruling go either way but it does say each time "a" turn.**

Artificer will then move backwards to right wall at reduced speed it would be 30 total ft from door way.

Homunculus will stay with him.

Asisreo1
2021-10-01, 08:58 AM
Will cast thorn whip to pull lich 5ft closer
(12)+13=25. (9)+(2)=11

Then bonus action EB blast her back in the CoD.

(14)+13=27. (4)+(3)+(8)=15

CoD proc (26)
**I can see the ruling go either way but it does say each time "a" turn.**

Artificer will then move backwards to right wall at reduced speed it would be 30 total ft from door way.

Homunculus will stay with him.
Alright, the Lich takes the damage. It is now the Sorcerer's Turn.

She also casts Ray of Frost at the Warlock.

[15]+12=27

[6]+[3]+[7]+[4]=20

stoutstien
2021-10-01, 09:03 AM
Alright, the Lich takes the damage. It is now the Sorcerer's Turn.

She also casts Ray of Frost at the Warlock.

[15]+12=27

[6]+[3]+[7]+[4]=20

She takes 10 damage thanks to resistance and makes a con save for concentration.
(7/11)+4=15

Sorcerer will drop fog cloud to see what he can do about this problem.

Asisreo1
2021-10-01, 09:42 AM
She takes 10 damage thanks to resistance and makes a con save for concentration.
(7/11)+4=15

Sorcerer will drop fog cloud to see what he can do about this problem.
Alright, the fog cloud is down. You see the lich standing there through the cloud.

stoutstien
2021-10-01, 11:44 AM
Alright, the fog cloud is down. You see the lich standing there through the cloud.
Sorcerer will cast a subtle telekinesis targeting lich.
Str contest vs (14)+[2]+[5]=21. Will then raise the restrained lich out of CoD then lower her back in it while moving back to the maximum range of the spell at 60 ft.

CoD (25)

Asisreo1
2021-10-01, 07:28 PM
Sorcerer will cast a subtle telekinesis targeting lich.
Str contest vs (14)+[2]+[5]=21. Will then raise the restrained lich out of CoD then lower her back in it while moving back to the maximum range of the spell at 60 ft.

CoD (25)
Alright. The Lich will target the Sorcerer with Dominate Person. Sorry, I forgot to mention its a Wisdom Save.

Its at advantage because we're in combat. If he fails, the lich will have the sorcerer end concentration on Telekinesis. Then, she will move back into the Globe of Invulnerability.

stoutstien
2021-10-02, 05:31 AM
Alright. The Lich will target the Sorcerer with Dominate Person. Sorry, I forgot to mention its a Wisdom Save.

Its at advantage because we're in combat. If he fails, the lich will have the sorcerer end concentration on Telekinesis. Then, she will move back into the Globe of Invulnerability.

Sorcerer will subtle Counterspell the dominate person using a 3rd lv slot.
(12)+[2]+[5]=19
**Wouldn't the globe drop due to concentration conflict with dominate?**

CoD damage (18)

Asisreo1
2021-10-02, 08:02 AM
Sorcerer will subtle Counterspell the dominate person using a 3rd lv slot.
(12)+[2]+[5]=19
**Wouldn't the globe drop due to concentration conflict with dominate?**

CoD damage (18)
It would. Alright, its now the Warlock's turn.

stoutstien
2021-10-02, 08:08 AM
It would. Alright, its now the Warlock's turn.

EB volley
(20)+13=crit. (13)+5=18 repelling 5 ft
(14)+13=27. (1)+5=6. Grip of hadar 5ft
(7)+13=20. (2)+5=7. Repelling 5 ft

Bonus action healing light on artificer 3 dice (12) HP

CoD damage (29)

Asisreo1
2021-10-02, 08:41 AM
EB volley
(20)+13=crit. (13)+5=18 repelling 5 ft
(14)+13=27. (1)+5=6. Grip of hadar 5ft
(7)+13=20. (2)+5=7. Repelling 5 ft

Bonus action healing light on artificer 3 dice (12) HP

CoD damage (29)
She uses a 3rd-level counterspell.

The Warlock then has a shadowy apparition appear before them. Make a constitution saving throw, taking [45] necrotic damage on a failure or [22] on a success.

She then casts Ray of Frost at the artificer, at disadvantage.

[3][11]+12=15

stoutstien
2021-10-02, 09:06 AM
She uses a 3rd-level counterspell.

The Warlock then has a shadowy apparition appear before them. Make a constitution saving throw, taking [45] necrotic damage on a failure or [22] on a success.

She then casts Ray of Frost at the artificer, at disadvantage.

[3][11]+12=15

Warlock is done with it so she counterspells the counterspell.

(5)+[4]=9 on con save

(8/17)+[4]=21
Losing concentration.

Asisreo1
2021-10-02, 09:35 AM
Warlock is done with it so she counterspells the counterspell.

(5)+[4]=9 on con save

(8/17)+[4]=21
Losing concentration.
Alright. It is now the Artificer's turn.

stoutstien
2021-10-02, 10:15 AM
Alright. It is now the Artificer's turn.

EB volley
(7/18)+13=31. (5)+(4)=9
(7/6)+13=20. (5)
(3/1)+13=16. (4)

Bonus action EC blast
(5/1)+13=18. (13)

**My dice luck has ran out lol**

Asisreo1
2021-10-02, 02:37 PM
EB volley
(7/18)+13=31. (5)+(4)=9
(7/6)+13=20. (5)
(3/1)+13=16. (4)

Bonus action EC blast
(5/1)+13=18. (13)

**My dice luck has ran out lol**
Well, that's fine because that's enough to take out the lich lol.

Sorcerers have always been good against other spellcasters when they have the subtle metamagic and counterspell. Lich's one weakness will always be strength checks, as it turns out. At least when they're RAW. I still don't know how challenging you perceived this, but I wouldn't be upset at this boss encounter in my game all things considered. Though, my rolls were a bit lucky in the beginning. Then again, the same could be said for you towards the middle/end.

I'm curious how this party, and perhaps the previous one you had, would fare against my next boss encounter. They'd need to be leveled up by 1 but if you're interested, we could try it.

stoutstien
2021-10-02, 03:26 PM
Well, that's fine because that's enough to take out the lich lol.

Sorcerers have always been good against other spellcasters when they have the subtle metamagic and counterspell. Lich's one weakness will always be strength checks, as it turns out. At least when they're RAW. I still don't know how challenging you perceived this, but I wouldn't be upset at this boss encounter in my game all things considered. Though, my rolls were a bit lucky in the beginning. Then again, the same could be said for you towards the middle/end.

I'm curious how this party, and perhaps the previous one you had, would fare against my next boss encounter. They'd need to be leveled up by 1 but if you're interested, we could try it.

I'm curious what lv was the globe at? That one 17 instead of a guarantee neutralization with a dispel magic at 19+ coupled with my brain fart in thinking the pillar was 10 ft from the nearest wall(placing the fighter, the only one that could have a significant chance of failing the Big saver suck against a high lv caster, in range) made it last almost 2 rounds costing me some recover and a day or two fishing back the fighter. Thus is life lol.

I'll level up my super supportive party.

Asisreo1
2021-10-02, 05:22 PM
I'm curious what lv was the globe at? That one 17 instead of a guarantee neutralization with a dispel magic at 19+ coupled with my brain fart in thinking the pillar was 10 ft from the nearest wall(placing the fighter, the only one that could have a significant chance of failing the Big saver suck against a high lv caster, in range) made it last almost 2 rounds costing me some recover and a day or two fishing back the fighter. Thus is life lol.

I'll level up my super supportive party.
The globe was level 8, and she recovered the slot during the fog cloud. Like I said, I got pretty lucky during the beginning.

stoutstien
2021-10-02, 07:44 PM
Leveling up will be pretty easy with fighter taken a 2nd level in cleric which isn't a big boost but the CD is a nice little mobility/healing action. The extra spell slot doesn't add much and will prepare the same spells most days.

The sorcerer is getting a bard college (eloquence) which is pretty big. With expertise (going to take persuasion and perception) auto (10) with persuasion and deception makes him the natural face even before all the sorcerer magic fun. Unsettling word means he has a rare saving throw debuff. No 9th lv spells hurts but I find most of them boring honestly.
New spells- drop charm person and picks up silence and enlarge/reduce.

Artificer is getting 5th lv slots and will switch out spell refueling ring because at this point spell slots aren't that limited. Will pick up boots of elvenkind.

Warlock picked up Reis: Con and change out tomb of levistus for lance of lethargy.

Asisreo1
2021-10-03, 06:59 AM
Leveling up will be pretty easy with fighter taken a 2nd level in cleric which isn't a big boost but the CD is a nice little mobility/healing action. The extra spell slot doesn't add much and will prepare the same spells most days.

The sorcerer is getting a bard college (eloquence) which is pretty big. With expertise (going to take persuasion and perception) auto (10) with persuasion and deception makes him the natural face even before all the sorcerer magic fun. Unsettling word means he has a rare saving throw debuff. No 9th lv spells hurts but I find most of them boring honestly.
New spells- drop charm person and picks up silence and enlarge/reduce.

Artificer is getting 5th lv slots and will switch out spell refueling ring because at this point spell slots aren't that limited. Will pick up boots of elvenkind.

Warlock picked up Reis: Con and change out tomb of levistus for lance of lethargy.
Is that the last levelup?

stoutstien
2021-10-03, 07:10 AM
Is that the last levelup?

Yep all are at 17.

Asisreo1
2021-10-03, 08:10 AM
Yep all are at 17.
Alright, awesome.

As your party does their day-to-day activity, a message from the Archfey Oberon is sent to your dreams. He pleads for your help, the Prince of the Seas, Prince Ozenitrius LXI, has begun attempts to conquer the entire Elemental Chaos by submerging them all in Water. Already, the Frostfell has started to rapidly melt and the Swamp of Oblivion has began to flood. He must be defeated by a creature blessed by the Predator Stone, a stone which imparts those blessed by it with the ability to remove the possibility of resurrection, even through Wish. Its also the key to the portal to his lair through Lake Greith and allows the users to survive extreme pressures, though all its benefits last only for 4 hours. Escape is also impossible until you defeat Ozenitrius.

Oberon requests for the party to touch the stone to gain its benefits, go through the portal, and defeat Prince Ozenitrius LXI. Your party eventually gets to the point where they're near the edge of Lake Greith. You are able to prepare/pre-buff as you wish. If you have any spell preparation changes, you can also do that.

He also informs the party that Prince Ozenitrius is a Kraken.

stoutstien
2021-10-03, 08:38 AM
Alright, awesome.

As your party does their day-to-day activity, a message from the Archfey Oberon is sent to your dreams. He pleads for your help, the Prince of the Seas, Prince Ozenitrius LXI, has begun attempts to conquer the entire Elemental Chaos by submerging them all in Water. Already, the Frostfell has started to rapidly melt and the Swamp of Oblivion has began to flood. He must be defeated by a creature blessed by the Predator Stone, a stone which imparts those blessed by it with the ability to remove the possibility of resurrection, even through Wish. Its also the key to the portal to his lair through Lake Greith and allows the users to survive extreme pressures, though all its benefits last only for 4 hours. Escape is also impossible until you defeat Ozenitrius.

Oberon requests for the party to touch the stone to gain its benefits, go through the portal, and defeat Prince Ozenitrius LXI. Your party eventually gets to the point where they're near the edge of Lake Greith. You are able to prepare/pre-buff as you wish. If you have any spell preparation changes, you can also do that.

He also informs the party that Prince Ozenitrius is a Kraken.

Is the possibility of scouting ahead via spells and onions....hehe minions on the table

Asisreo1
2021-10-03, 09:03 AM
Is the possibility of scouting ahead via spells and onions....hehe minions on the table
The lair is in an unknown location in the Plane of Water and only those that are blessed by the Predator Stone are able to pass through the portal.

If you could somehow find a way to scout in this circumstance, you can.

stoutstien
2021-10-03, 01:43 PM
The lair is in an unknown location in the Plane of Water and only those that are blessed by the Predator Stone are able to pass through the portal.

If you could somehow find a way to scout in this circumstance, you can.

Ok the the stone is a hard gate. What passing information would my party have on krakens or can collect in the short time frame when making way to portal?
**I personally haven't used a kraken in about 2 years and when I did it was more of an environmental hazard than a direct combat threat so this will be interesting.**

During the same time frame the artificer is going to come up with way to many kraken puns and torture the party the entire trip while he rearranges his trinkets and inventory.
"I think I'm crack-in up because I can't find my gnome nosed pliers"
*Audible groans from the rest of the party*

Asisreo1
2021-10-03, 02:46 PM
Ok the the stone is a hard gate. What passing information would my party have on krakens or can collect in the short time frame when making way to portal?
**I personally haven't used a kraken in about 2 years and when I did it was more of an environmental hazard than a direct combat threat so this will be interesting.**

During the same time frame the artificer is going to come up with way to many kraken puns and torture the party the entire trip while he rearranges his trinkets and inventory.
"I think I'm crack-in up because I can't find my gnome nosed pliers"
*Audible groans from the rest of the party*
Well, Krakens are notorious so there's quite a few rumors about them. Notably, how dangerous they are to ships and stories of their ability to destroy entire fleets with ease.

Relevant information would be that they are deceptively intelligent, they are perfectly capable of breathing air, and they are capable of manipulating the seas and storms.

stoutstien
2021-10-03, 05:06 PM
Artificer's prep:
Infusions- amulet of H (on lock),mind sharpener (on sorcerer), winged boots(self), ring of protection (self), and enhanced defense (self)
Spells-
Shield, AE, grease, thunder wave,cure wounds

Enlarge/reduce, levitate, scorching ray, shatter, web

Fireball, wind wall, haste

Ice storm,wall of fire, arcane eye, freedom of movement, otilutes sphere

Wall of force, cone of cold

Hand economy- shield and staff of power.

SSI- scorching ray

Fighter prep
Runes- drop fire for frost.

Spells-same + detect magic(why not)

Warlocks ring (shield X 2, AE X 2)

Prebuffing-
Water walk, water breathing on everything, lv 9 Aid on fighter, artificer, and sorcerer, celestial warlock THP I party +lock familiar, freedom of movement cast from artificer on fighter and warlock, 2 twinned long strider on party, crown of stars cast from 7th lv slot on sorcerer, bold bond on party+ lock familiar, shield of Faith on self from fighter.

Artificer will create 2 force ballista and cast pass without trace with woodland staff before the whole party touches the stone.

SSI will be put in artificer's shield.

Asisreo1
2021-10-03, 05:53 PM
Artificer's prep:
Infusions- amulet of H (on lock),mind sharpener (on sorcerer), winged boots(self), ring of protection (self), and enhanced defense (self)
Spells-
Shield, AE, grease, thunder wave,cure wounds

Enlarge/reduce, levitate, scorching ray, shatter, web

Fireball, wind wall, haste

Ice storm,wall of fire, arcane eye, freedom of movement, otilutes sphere

Wall of force, cone of cold

Hand economy- shield and staff of power.

SSI- scorching ray

Fighter prep
Runes- drop fire for frost.

Spells-same + detect magic(why not)

Warlocks ring (shield X 2, AE X 2)

Prebuffing-
Water walk, water breathing on everything, lv 9 Aid on fighter, artificer, and sorcerer, celestial warlock THP I party +lock familiar, freedom of movement cast from artificer on fighter and warlock, 2 twinned long strider on party, crown of stars cast from 7th lv slot on sorcerer, bold bond on party+ lock familiar, shield of Faith on self from fighter.

Artificer will create 2 force ballista and cast pass without trace with woodland staff before the whole party touches the stone.

SSI will be put in artificer's shield.
I don't recommend Water Walk on the party. I'll let you know the lair is pretty deep and you'll be constantly pulled upwards, possibly faster than you can come back down for some characters. Otherwise, everything else is fine.

When you're ready, you can enter. I'll go ahead and roll the Kraken's Initiative:

[8]

stoutstien
2021-10-03, 06:32 PM
I don't recommend Water Walk on the party. I'll let you know the lair is pretty deep and you'll be constantly pulled upwards, possibly faster than you can come back down for some characters. Otherwise, everything else is fine.

When you're ready, you can enter. I'll go ahead and roll the Kraken's Initiative:

[8]

**Ok thanks for heads up on water walk. I figured it either a deep dive or on or near the top of a body of water. Didn't think we would jump right into the action lol**

Fighter (17)+[5]+[2]=24
Warlock (15)+[2]+[4]=21
Sorcerer (10)+[2]+[1]+[3]=16
Artificer(10)+[2]+[3]=15

Asisreo1
2021-10-03, 06:56 PM
**Ok thanks for heads up on water walk. I figured it either a deep dive or on or near the top of a body of water. Didn't think we would jump right into the action lol**

Fighter (17)+[5]+[2]=24
Warlock (15)+[2]+[4]=21
Sorcerer (10)+[2]+[1]+[3]=16
Artificer(10)+[2]+[3]=15
Oh no, its fine. I preemptively rolled so it wouldn't take another post.

Okay, as you enter the lake, you feel an unnatural chill from the water. Your party dives deep into the lake and they feel an almost unnatural pressure gradient as they descend. Its almost like you're diving hundreds of miles down for every few feet they descend. The bottom of the lake slowly fades into darkness and you find yourselves surrounded by a fantastic display of colorful lights. Greens, blues, reds, and yellows gently glow from bioluminescent shrimp and stronger lights emanating from sea crystals. Your party then notices a huge shadow loom over them from behind. Then, the shadow is replaced by an eyeball completely taking up the party's field of view. They hear a voice within their heads:

"It seems the fool Oberon had sent a group of weaklings to stall my plans. Very well. Though if you all are the best Oberon has to offer, perhaps conquering the planes will be easier than I thought. After the elemental chaos is under my reign, I shall take the feywilds next. Have the Courts thank Oberon for the early visit. Well, not that you'll have the chance to send the message."

He starts 30ft away from the party. His lair is a ravine going indefinitely up, down, forward, and back. The sides are 100ft apart to the left and right.

Currently, its the fighter's turn.

*sorry, I put 60ft when I meant 30ft.

stoutstien
2021-10-03, 07:06 PM
Oh no, its fine. I preemptively rolled so it wouldn't take another post.

Okay, as you enter the lake, you feel an unnatural chill from the water. Your party dives deep into the lake and they feel an almost unnatural pressure gradient as they descend. Its almost like you're diving hundreds of miles down for every few feet they descend. The bottom of the lake slowly fades into darkness and you find yourselves surrounded by a fantastic display of colorful lights. Greens, blues, reds, and yellows gently glow from bioluminescent shrimp and stronger lights emanating from sea crystals. Your party then notices a huge shadow loom over them from behind. Then, the shadow is replaced by an eyeball completely taking up the party's field of view. They hear a voice within their heads:

"It seems the fool Oberon had sent a group of weaklings to stall my plans. Very well. Though if you all are the best Oberon has to offer, perhaps conquering the planes will be easier than I thought. After the elemental chaos is under my reign, I shall take the feywilds next. Have the Courts thank Oberon for the early visit. Well, not that you'll have the chance to send the message."

He starts 60ft away from the party. His lair is a ravine going indefinitely up, down, forward, and back. The sides are 100ft apart to the left and right.

Currently, its the fighter's turn.

**Tiiiggght corders with a big baddy. How large is this kraken in 3D space grid wise?**

Asisreo1
2021-10-03, 07:14 PM
**Tiiiggght corders with a big baddy. How large is this kraken in 3D space grid wise?**
You can imagine the Kraken as a cylinder shape (like a squid). He's 200ft in length including his tentacles and 50ft diameter. He's very large since he's a Prince, making him distinct from most other Krakens.

stoutstien
2021-10-04, 05:04 AM
You can imagine the Kraken as a cylinder shape (like a squid). He's 200ft in length including his tentacles and 50ft diameter. He's very large since he's a Prince, making him distinct from most other Krakens.

**Just saw your correction to 30ft I have a better picture now thanks**

Fighter is going to use Giant's might and then activate his oathbow while firing off a a volley of supper sized arrows with SS because who knows what AC it has but it's definitely a big target.
(18)+8=26. Dmg (11)+(5)+15=31
(10)+8=18. Dmg (7)+(7)+15=24
(7)+8=13. Dmg (1)+(11)+15=27
Action surge
(16)+8=24. Dmg (4)+(10)+15=29
(6)+8=14 dmg (6)+(13)+14=33
(20)+8=crit dmg (9)+(23)+(8)+15=55

**I'm pretty sure being underwater cancelled out my adv from bow**

Asisreo1
2021-10-04, 06:47 AM
**Just saw your correction to 30ft I have a better picture now thanks**

Fighter is going to use Giant's might and then activate his oathbow while firing off a a volley of supper sized arrows with SS because who knows what AC it has but it's definitely a big target.
(18)+8=26. Dmg (11)+(5)+15=31
(10)+8=18. Dmg (7)+(7)+15=24
(7)+8=13. Dmg (1)+(11)+15=27
Action surge
(16)+8=24. Dmg (4)+(10)+15=29
(6)+8=14 dmg (6)+(13)+14=33
(20)+8=crit dmg (9)+(23)+(8)+15=55

**I'm pretty sure being underwater cancelled out my adv from bow**
The first 2, the fourth, and the last one hit, doing 139 damage to the Kraken. It screams in rage and a giant tentacle swings towards the fighter.

[9]+18=27
Damage: [3]+[2]+[5]+10= 20 damage.

The fighter is now grappled and restrained.

It is the Warlock's turn.

stoutstien
2021-10-04, 09:12 AM
The first 2, the fourth, and the last one hit, doing 139 damage to the Kraken. It screams in rage and a giant tentacle swings towards the fighter.

[9]+18=27
Damage: [3]+[2]+[5]+10= 20 damage.

The fighter is now grappled and restrained.

It is the Warlock's turn.

Fighter con check
(8)+[11]=19

Warlock is going to cast summon fiend(demon) and have it appear right next to the kraken. Then it's going to attempt to bite.
(15)+14=29. Dmg (2)+3+6=11 necrotic

Asisreo1
2021-10-04, 09:25 AM
Fighter con check
(8)+[11]=19

Warlock is going to cast summon fiend(demon) and have it appear right next to the kraken. Then it's going to attempt to bite.
(15)+14=29. Dmg (2)+3+6=11 necrotic
Done. The party feels a tingling sensation as their hair begins to stand on end. Yellow energy surrounds everyone. It seems everyone is vulnerable to lightning damage.

It is now the sorcerer's turn.

stoutstien
2021-10-04, 11:59 AM
Done. The party feels a tingling sensation as their hair begins to stand on end. Yellow energy surrounds everyone. It seems everyone is vulnerable to lightning damage.

It is now the sorcerer's turn.

Sorcerer is going to use trance of order as a bonus action and then twin polymorph on self and warlock turning them into huge apes.
"I always wanted sea monkeys" the artificer quips.

Asisreo1
2021-10-04, 02:01 PM
Sorcerer is going to use trance of order as a bonus action and then twin polymorph on self and warlock turning them into huge apes.
"I always wanted sea monkeys" the artificer quips.
Alright, a storm of lightning magically forms
Three lightning bolts appear and strike the Fighter. Have them make 3 DC 23 dexterity saves (w/ disadvantage from restrain). Half on success

They take

([21]+[29]+[25])*2=150 lightning damage.

stoutstien
2021-10-04, 02:51 PM
Alright, a storm of lightning magically forms
Three lightning bolts appear and strike the Fighter. Have them make 3 DC 23 dexterity saves (w/ disadvantage from restrain). Half on success

They take

([21]+[29]+[25])*2=150 lightning damage.

(17/13)+6+artificer reaction FoG [5]=24
(4/12)+6=10
(16/18)+6+(1)=23

Asisreo1
2021-10-04, 03:06 PM
(17/13)+6+artificer reaction FoG [5]=24
(4/12)+6=10
(16/18)+6+(1)=23
Then he takes 106 lightning damage. It is now the artificer's turn.

stoutstien
2021-10-04, 03:49 PM
Then he takes 106 lightning damage

Ok.

**This is why I dropped the high level aid. 9 out of 10 Dms do the same thing when they look at a stat block like the Kraken's(anything that can make lots of attacks and has some decent staying power). They stick in a position to prevent leveraging is huge blind spots and play rocket tag. You adding the additional parameters of blocking resurrection and having no build up enhances this. It's deadly in spades but it has no real challenge.**

**Forgot half cover from cannon's wouldn't have changed anything I dont think**

Artificer will cast Otilukes res sphere on fighter and bonus action fire both cannons
(8)+13= 23. Dmg (11)
(6)+13=19. Dmg (16)

Asisreo1
2021-10-04, 07:45 PM
Ok.

**This is why I dropped the high level aid. 9 out of 10 Dms do the same thing when they look at a stat block like the Kraken's(anything that can make lots of attacks and has some decent staying power). They stick in a position to prevent leveraging is huge blind spots and play rocket tag. You adding the additional parameters of blocking resurrection and having no build up enhances this. It's deadly in spades but it has no real challenge.**

Artificer will cast Otilukes res sphere on fighter and bonus action fire both cannons
(8)+13= 23. Dmg (11)
(6)+13=19. Dmg (16)
Well, this actually wasn't my first strategy going in. Unfortunately, the Kraken landed all the way to the bottom of initiative so my options were rather limited if I wanted to ensure quick damage.

I'll have to make a ruling on Resilient Sphere. There's nothing saying that it ends grapple, though common sense would say that it does. So, I'll go with that ruling.

Well, the sphere is considered an object still. The Kraken will use its interaction to grab the sphere. He will move 60ft away from the party (being 90ft away) and move the sphere to the other side of it, putting the fighter 120ft away from the rest of the party. He'll then use Lightning Storm on the Sorcerer.

[25]+[20]+[30]=75 × 2=150 lightning damage, assuming failed saves and no Absorb elements. Half on success and half if absorbed. (3 dex saves).

Asisreo1
2021-10-04, 08:06 PM
Ok.

(8)+13= 23. Dmg (11)
(6)+13=19. Dmg (16)
Also, I think there's a misunderstanding. The stones do not prevent the players from resurrecting, they're free to do so. The Predator's Stone's function is to prevent those killed by a creature possessing its blessing from resurrection.

This is a real one-shot I made (though abridged), and the Kraken has potential access to spellcasters which can and will resurrect him if given the opportunity. The predator stone prevents this.

stoutstien
2021-10-05, 04:46 AM
Well, this actually wasn't my first strategy going in. Unfortunately, the Kraken landed all the way to the bottom of initiative so my options were rather limited if I wanted to ensure quick damage.

I'll have to make a ruling on Resilient Sphere. There's nothing saying that it ends grapple, though common sense would say that it does. So, I'll go with that ruling.

Well, the sphere is considered an object still. The Kraken will use its interaction to grab the sphere. He will move 60ft away from the party (being 90ft away) and move the sphere to the other side of it, putting the fighter 120ft away from the rest of the party. He'll then use Lightning Storm on the Sorcerer.

[25]+[20]+[30]=75 × 2=150 lightning damage, assuming failed saves and no Absorb elements. Half on success and half if absorbed. (3 dex saves).

**ORS is a wierd one**
(8/10)+2=12
(18)+2=20
(1/10)+2=12

Con checks
(2/10)+10=20
(12)+10=22
(4/10)+10=20

**At it's current position does it look like it can physically reach the party's position?**