PDA

View Full Version : Traps and creatures for an arena setting

ButzSanchez
2021-09-13, 12:05 PM
Hey all, I'm in the middle of constructing a PVP arena module and I'm trying to figure out cool traps and minor creatures to throw into it, like a gladiator match. My aim is that these should be speedbumps for the player, forcing them to think tactically about engagements and keep their wits about them, rather than being legitimate threats to them on their own. The players themselves should be the ones largely responsible for taking each other out.

I'm thinking this will be for level 8 characters, but later on I may increase that so I'm down for higher difficulty suggestions as well.

Amnestic
2021-09-13, 04:07 PM
Pits are, of course, a classic. 10' deep, smooth edges. If you fall (or get shoved in) you're probably spending most of your turn climbing back out.

A raised section in the centre of the arena that has a button on it that releases two tigers at opposite edges. Since you're in the centre, the tigers will probably go for your enemies first. King of the Hill!

Floor Flingers: Stand on the wrong spot and the floor flings you through the air X feet in a direction. Could send you to safety, could send you into danger. Dex save at the end or fall prone.

Firesquares: It's a square that's on fire.

Rotating fire pole: It's a pole that shoots fire in a direction every turn, and rotates every turn. Add in multiple that overlap.

Golem Zones: Areas occupied by golems that are likely too tough for the party to take on while also fighting the enemy team. The golems don't leave their areas, but they'll attack anyone who enters into them.

Arena Collapse: There's no fun if the participants stand at the far end of the arena throwing arrows at each other all day. The arena could shrink over time, being filled with [fire/lightning/poison/necrotic magic/whatever] until there's only a small safe spot left, forcing the participants to be in close quarters, even if they don't want to be. Bonus points if the 'safe spot' happens to also be in a golem zone.

Wall spikes: It's a spiky wall. If you get shoved into it, it's going to hurt.

Unoriginal
2021-09-13, 04:57 PM
Hey all, I'm in the middle of constructing a PVP arena module and I'm trying to figure out cool traps and minor creatures to throw into it, like a gladiator match. My aim is that these should be speedbumps for the player, forcing them to think tactically about engagements and keep their wits about them, rather than being legitimate threats to them on their own. The players themselves should be the ones largely responsible for taking each other out.

I'm thinking this will be for level 8 characters, but later on I may increase that so I'm down for higher difficulty suggestions as well.

Creatures that could work great for this, IMO:

- Flail Snail

- Giant Ice Toad

- Giff

- Hell Hound

- Hobgoblin Devastator

- Illusionist

- Knight

- Kuo-Toa Monitor

- Lamia

- Lava Child

- Leucrotta

- Lizard King/Queen

- Lizardfolk Shaman

- Manticore

- Martial Arts Adept

- Master Thief

- Merrenoloth (if the arena has a water section)

- Mezzoloth

- Neogi

- Ogre Battering Ram

- Ogre Chain Brute

- Orc Red Fang of Shargaas

- Quaggoth Thonot

- Reckoner

- Redcap

- Shadow Demon

- Skyweaver

- Slithering Tracker

- Stone Defender

- Wight

- Yeth Hound

- Yuan-ti Malison

- Yuan-ti Mind Whisperer

- Yuan-ti Nightmare Speaker

A few of those are more than just speedbumps, but they fit the "PCs have to be tactical to deal with them but aren't otherwise lethal threats by themselves" idea.

ButzSanchez
2021-09-13, 06:01 PM
Creatures that could work great for this, IMO:

- Flail Snail

- Giant Ice Toad

- Giff

- Hell Hound

- Hobgoblin Devastator

- Illusionist

- Knight

- Kuo-Toa Monitor

- Lamia

- Lava Child

- Leucrotta

- Lizard King/Queen

- Lizardfolk Shaman

- Manticore

- Martial Arts Adept

- Master Thief

- Merrenoloth (if the arena has a water section)

- Mezzoloth

- Neogi

- Ogre Battering Ram

- Ogre Chain Brute

- Orc Red Fang of Shargaas

- Quaggoth Thonot

- Reckoner

- Redcap

- Shadow Demon

- Skyweaver

- Slithering Tracker

- Stone Defender

- Wight

- Yeth Hound

- Yuan-ti Malison

- Yuan-ti Mind Whisperer

- Yuan-ti Nightmare Speaker

A few of those are more than just speedbumps, but they fit the "PCs have to be tactical to deal with them but aren't otherwise lethal threats by themselves" idea.
Oh it will absolutely have a water section, I'm going to have four quadrants with different environments in them. I'll look these dudes up.

ButzSanchez
2021-09-13, 06:02 PM
Pits are, of course, a classic. 10' deep, smooth edges. If you fall (or get shoved in) you're probably spending most of your turn climbing back out.

A raised section in the centre of the arena that has a button on it that releases two tigers at opposite edges. Since you're in the centre, the tigers will probably go for your enemies first. King of the Hill!

Floor Flingers: Stand on the wrong spot and the floor flings you through the air X feet in a direction. Could send you to safety, could send you into danger. Dex save at the end or fall prone.

Firesquares: It's a square that's on fire.

Rotating fire pole: It's a pole that shoots fire in a direction every turn, and rotates every turn. Add in multiple that overlap.

Golem Zones: Areas occupied by golems that are likely too tough for the party to take on while also fighting the enemy team. The golems don't leave their areas, but they'll attack anyone who enters into them.

Arena Collapse: There's no fun if the participants stand at the far end of the arena throwing arrows at each other all day. The arena could shrink over time, being filled with [fire/lightning/poison/necrotic magic/whatever] until there's only a small safe spot left, forcing the participants to be in close quarters, even if they don't want to be. Bonus points if the 'safe spot' happens to also be in a golem zone.

Wall spikes: It's a spiky wall. If you get shoved into it, it's going to hurt.

These are good. I'm not so much worried about the players refusing to interact with each other; the rules of the arena games make it so if they want to win they pretty much have to engage with each other.

Unoriginal
2021-09-13, 06:21 PM
Oh it will absolutely have a water section, I'm going to have four quadrants with different environments in them.

Sounds fun.

I'll look these dudes up.

If you want to talk about any of them or other ideas, I'd be happy to contribute more.