PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt-esque Multiclassing System

Greywander
2021-09-14, 10:30 PM
I've made a thread on this before (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?588877-Hybridizing-Gestalt-and-Multiclass-rules), but looking over that thread it seems I've refined this set of houserules since then, so I thought I might repost it to get some new feedback.

The heart of these houserules is a multiclass-gestalt hybrid system, but there are a few ancillary houserules meant to be used with these that I'll cover just very briefly.

Spending Epic Boons for Class Levels
The oldest houserule in this set, and one that I honestly think every table should use. There's big benefits and little cost to doing so.

There's an optional rule that allows 20th level characters to gain an epic boon for every 30k XP they gain beyond 20th level. Within that, there's another optional rule that this can instead be spent on additional feats or ASIs, with the ability to push your stats up to 30. This merely provides another option for something to spend these on. Class levels obtained this way don't increase your character level, so you stay at 20th level. These "extra" levels basically act like the extra levels for a gestalt character. I won't get into the nitty-gritty here (see the last spoiler below), but suffice to say that even if you raise every class to 20 you'd only have the HP and HD of a barbarian, and caster level caps at 20 as well.

The main benefit here is the reduction in analysis paralysis, particularly for players thinking about multiclassing. I know this is less of an issue for some people than others, but I tend to obsess over what my build will look like at 20, because at that point you're stuck with what you've got. This allows you to dip into another class if it makes sense to do so from a narrative sense without worrying about how it will screw up your build, or to just play the game and iron out your build later. As for the cost, most campaigns don't reach 20 anyway, so it's a moot point, and the ones that stay at 20 for a long time will want another progression system anyway, and this is probably less broken than the epic boons themselves.

Something else that's probably worth saying is that every campaign has a finite amount of XP. Although you can hypothetically raise every class to 20 using this houserule, in practice it would never happen without the DM specifically enabling it. As it is, most campaigns end before 20, and every campaign ends at some point. However much XP was handed out before the campaign ended is that campaign's XP budget. It's unlikely you'd be able to even get a second class to 20, let alone all of them.

0th Level Characters
For the true commoner experience. Choose a race and background, but no class. Instead, you have three pre-classes to choose from: warrior, expert, and caster. Each offers some minor abilities to help sell the commoner experience whilst not being completely inept. I didn't want your choice of pre-class to matter beyond 0th level (because I don't want people to agonize over how their choice of pre-class will affect their late-game build), so it's more like you're just getting some class features early, which no longer matters once you start that class.

This is an optional rule, for those wanting to experience a commoner start.

A 0th level character can roll their ability scores normally, but if you want an authentic commoner experience, then use the following method:

Roll 3d6, in order, to generate your ability scores.
Then, reroll one ability score and take the higher number.
Then, switch two ability scores. You can choose to skip this step.
To make up for lower ability scores, gain +1 to all ability scores when you reach ½ or 1st level. Some tables give a free feat at 1st level, in which case the +1 to all ability scores would be better at ½ level, if using ½ level rules.

A 0th level character also chooses a race and background normally, but does not choose a class. Instead, you can choose from three different pre-classes that act like a class: warrior, expert, or caster.
By default, each pre-class has the following statistics:

You have 6 + your Constitution modifier hit points, and a d6 hit die.
Your proficiency bonus is +2. You are not proficient in unarmed strikes until you gain a class level.
Your starting equipment is limited to that granted to you by your background.

Warrior
You are proficient with unarmed strikes, simple weapons, and light armor.

Your hit points are 8 + your Constitution modifier, and your hit die is a d8. This replaces the default values above.

Once you gain enough experience, you can enter any of the following classes as a ½ or 1st level character: barbarian, bard, cleric, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, or warlock.
For non-PHB classes, any with (a) proficiency with simple weapons, (b) proficiency with light armor*, and (c) a hit die of at least d8.
*Monks are the exception to the requirement for light armor proficiency, as they fit best with the warrior pre-class conceptually. Warriors who become monks would lose their light armor proficiency, although a DM is free to overrule this.

Expert
You gain proficiency with one additional skill. Once you reach ½ or 1st level, you gain one less class skill than normal, as your extra skill from the expert pre-class counts as one of your class skills.

Experts also gain additional starting equipment:

An extra 20 gp.
A shortsword.
(a) one tool of your choice, (b) a cart and mule, (c) a rowboat, or (d) an item worth up to 25 gp.
(a) an abacus, (b) a backpack, (c) a bell, (d) a block and tackle, (e) a crowbar, (f) a grappling hook, (g) a hammer, (h) a set of manacles, (i) a miner’s pick, (j) a shovel, or (k) an item worth up to 1 gp.
Once you gain enough experience, you can enter any of the following classes as a ½ or 1st level character: any class, as long as you are proficient with at least one skill from that class’s skill list.

Caster
You learn one cantrip, chosen from any spell list. You may use your choice of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as your spellcasting ability score. Once you reach ½ or 1st level, you gain one less cantrip than normal, as your pre-class cantrip counts against the number of cantrips your class knows.

Once you gain enough experience, you can enter any of the following classes as a ½ or 1st level character: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. Your pre-class cantrip must be on that class’s spell list.
For non-PHB classes, any that learns a cantrip at 1st level. Your pre-class cantrip must be on the class’s spell list.

Pretty much I only have this here because it leads naturally into...

½ Level Class Features
It's well known that 5e has issues with classes being too heavily frontloaded. This is a problem both mechanically, because dipping is extremely beneficial, and narratively, because in an instant you're suddenly fully trained in that class. This houserule attempts to address both of these issues by splitting the first level of a class into two levels. The ½ level will give you things like proficiencies, and usually one singular class feature, sometimes trimmed down. For example, most casters will either get (a) 1 cantrip and 1 spell prepared, (b) 1 cantrip and 2 spells known, or (c) 2 cantrips and 1 spell known. This is meant to evoke the feeling of someone who is still in training and hasn't fully learned the basics of that class yet.

This is an optional rule, for those wanting to play a class-in-training or apprentice, for those coming from 0th level, or for those who feel that 1st level is too frontloaded for multiclass dips. In particular, if you’re using one of the rules below to gain more than 20 class levels, this can slow down entry into a new class

If using this rule, a character starting at 0th level must pass through ½ level before they can reach 1st level. Likewise, a character who multiclasses into a new class gains the ½ level features of that class first, and must use another level to multiclass into 1st level for that class. Furthermore, you can’t multiclass until you are at least a 1st level character.

For a character coming from 0th level, you gain the following features at ½ level:

Your hit points and hit die is replaced by those of your class.
You gain all of the proficiencies of your class that a 1st level character would gain.
You gain the class features listed below for a ½ level character of that class.

A character starting at ½ level gains all the features above, as if coming from 0th level, but also gains that class’s starting equipment.

For a character multiclassing into a new class, you gain the following features at ½ level in that class:

You gain whatever proficiencies are granted for multiclassing into that class.
You gain the class features listed below for a ½ level character of that class.

Once you reach 1st level, you gain the remainder of your class features, but not any additional hit points or hit dice, except as described in the multiclassing section of this document.

½ Level Class Features

Barbarian
You gain the Rage feature, and may use it once per long rest.

Bard
You gain the Spellcasting feature. You learn one cantrip and two 1st level spells, which count against the number of bard cantrips and spells you know. You may replace one 1st level spell with a different one when you reach 1st level in this class. You gain one 1st-level spell slot if you didn’t already have one.

Cleric
You gain the Spellcasting feature. You learn one cantrip which counts against the number of cleric cantrips you know. You may prepare one spell from the cleric spell list. You gain one 1st-level spell slot if you didn’t already have one.

Druid
You gain the Spellcasting feature. You learn one cantrip which counts against the number of druid cantrips you know. You may prepare one spell from the druid spell list. You gain one 1st-level spell slot if you didn’t already have one.

Fighter
You gain the Second Wind feature.

Monk
You gain the Martial Arts feature.

Paladin
You gain the Lay on Hands feature, with a pool of 5 points.

Ranger
You gain the Natural Explorer feature.

Rogue
You gain the Sneak Attack feature, with 1d6 Sneak Attack damage.

Sorcerer
You gain the Spellcasting feature. You learn two cantrips and one 1st level spell, which count against the number of sorcerer cantrips and spells you know. You may replace your 1st level spell with a different one when you reach 1st level in this class. You gain one 1st-level spell slot if you didn’t already have one.

Warlock
You gain the Pact Magic feature. You learn one cantrip and one 1st level spell, which count against the number of warlock cantrips and spells you know. You may replace your 1st level spell with a different one when you reach 1st level in this class. You gain one 1st-level pact magic spell slot.

Wizard
You gain the Spellcasting feature. You learn one cantrip, which counts against the number of wizard cantrips you know. You learn four 1st level spells that you add to your spellbook (you learn two more spells upon reaching 1st level, for a total of six). You may prepare one spell from your spellbook. You gain one 1st-level spell slot if you didn’t already have one.

This can be used for characters coming from 0th level, giving them a smoother transition from commoner to adventurer. It also works for anyone dipping into a new class, giving them a period where they're still training in that class and don't get all the benefits. That said, this would be harsh under the vanilla rules, essentially making you cap out with one less total class levels for every class you dip into. Unless...

Gestalt-Multiclass Hybrid System
Some time ago, I was playing in a game with my sister, and since it was just the two of us we were playing gestalt characters. Perhaps we were just leveling up too quickly, but I often found myself forgetting abilities that I had until after it would have been useful. I found myself wishing for an alternative system that would slow down your progression enough to let you learn you new abilities before getting new ones, instead of getting a bunch of abilities all at once.

At the same time, I've often found myself getting frustrated with multiclass builds. At 20th level, the build looks fine, but starting at 1st level can be arduous, sometimes waiting until late tier 2 or later to really come online. There's just something in my brain that feels like if a class feature is available at 3rd level, that I should have that feature at 3rd level, even if I'm multiclassing and won't reach 3rd level in that class until later. It's dumb, I know, but I can't help but think of it that way.

This new system for multiclassing should hopefully solve both of these issues, and provide a lot more flexibility in character building.

Here's the gist of it: Your character level is always the same as your highest level in a single class. To reach 20th level, you need to raise a single class to 20. If you multiclass, your character level doesn't increase. This means proficiency and HP don't increase, but also that the XP to level up again doesn't increase. Again, these "extra" class levels work like those for a gestalt character, so it's worth looking at those really quick. There aren't any official rules for gestalt characters, so I came up with my own set of rules that are quite flexible, not caring about how many of these extra class levels you have, or what order you took them in, or which class levels are "real" vs. "extra".

For our purposes, we’ll define any class level that doesn’t contribute to our character level as a “gestalt level”. The good news is that the default multiclass rules already handle mixing classes pretty well. We have two goals in extending those rules: that gestalt levels should be indistinguishable from “normal” or “real” (i.e. non-gestalt) class levels, and that the order in which class levels are taken should not matter.

No official gestalt rules exist for 5e, but older editions did have rules for creating gestalt characters. The basic principle was to take the features of both classes, but where the two overlap you only take the better of the two. We’ll use that as a guiding principle to figure out how gestalt levels should work.

Class Features
You gain all the class features from a gestalt level. This includes things like Ability Score Increases.

Do note that several class features already have rules for how they interact on multiclassed characters. Use those rules for those features.

Proficiencies
Use the standard multiclassing rules to determine what proficiencies you gain when starting a new class with a gestalt level. Gestalt characters use their own rules for proficiencies gained at 1st level.

Hit Points and Hit Dice
Gestalt levels do not give hit points. The hit die, however, can be stored in a hit dice “bank”. If you have or later gain a hit die that is smaller than a hit die in your bank, you may exchange them. When you do so, you gain 1 additional hit point for each step larger that the hit die being withdrawn is. For example, if exchanging a d6 for a d10, you would gain 2 hit points.

The purpose of this is to give the player the same hit dice and same average hit points for a given selection of class levels, regardless of the order in which those class levels were taken.

Note that this rule means you always have a number of hit dice equal to your character level. Dice in your bank don’t count and can’t be used; they’re merely reserved for possible future exchanges.

Spell Slots
Gestalt levels grant additional spell slots normally. However, your caster level is capped at 20.

Optional Rule. Your caster level is capped at your character level. This prevents gestalt and gestalt-multiclass characters from gaining access to 9th level spell slots before 17th level.

As an example, even with the optional rule, a paladin/ranger gestalt character would gain spell slots like a full caster. Without the optional rule, a 9th level wizard/cleric would have 9th level spell slots, whereas with the optional rule they would only have 5th level slots, but would continue to gain spell slots (up to that of an 18th level caster) even if subsequent levels were in non-caster classes.

Now that we have that, there's not a lot left to explain about this multiclassing system. When you level up, you can either increase your highest class, which will increase your character level, or you can increase a different class, including starting a new class, which will not increase your character level. If your character level did not increase, then the XP to level up remains the same.

Now, vanilla doesn't "spend" XP to level, instead you simply accumulate XP, and then gain a level once you reach certain XP thresholds. This... won't work here, so it would be better to convert to a system whereby XP is spent to gain a level. I made my own table in the doc that has all these rules collected, but you can pretty easily find it yourself by subtracting the XP required for your current level from the XP required for the next level. For example, you need 900 XP to reach 3rd level and 2700 XP to reach 4th level, which means that going from 3rd to 4th requires you to spend 2700 - 900 = 1800 XP.

There's another glaring elephant in the room that needs to be address. The most optimal way to build a character would always be to dip into every single class at 1st level. At 300 XP per dip, it will set you back in tier 1, but you'll barely notice the delay once you're into tier 2. Even using the rules for ½ level classes, that only doubles the cost to start a dip, which is a start, but would still be barely noticeable by tier 3. Instead, a better solution would be limit how many classes you can have at the same time.

A straightforward limit would be that you can have a number of classes equal to your proficiency bonus, and the limit being lifted at 20th level. This allows you to get a second class immediately, but you'd need to wait until 5th level to dip into a third, and by then the cost to level up will be quite a bit more costly. Another limit could be a narrative-based one. In order to start a new class, you have to find a trainer who is at least 5th level in that class. Training lasts for a number of weeks equal to the number of classes you already have, and costs 25 gp per week. Just because someone can train you doesn't mean they'll be willing to do so, so you may need to complete a quest for them or something.

Now, such a system won't be for every table, or every campaign. If you were already thinking about trying a gestalt character, then this could be a nice alternative. If you abhor the idea of gestalts, then this probably won't float your boat either. One thing I like about it is that added flexibility. You still have the option to stay single-classed, and this will get you to 20 the fastest. Multiclassing will delay your overall character progression in exchange for getting a wider array of features, basically trading raw power for versatility.

You also have control over how many extra class levels you get, instead of being locked into a specific number with a gestalt character. You could, for example, stop at dipping 3 levels into a second class, then just pursue your main class to 20. Or, every time you get a proficiency bump you could dip a few levels into a new class, but no more. Or, you could raise a second class alongside your main one, just like a traditional gestalt (except at double the XP cost). Or, perhaps you raise one or two classes, then decide to take your character in a completely different direction, so you abandon advancement in those classes to start a new one as your "main" class.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what you guys think. Hopefully this is an improvement on the previous iteration. Sadly, I haven't had much of an opportunity to test these rules out yet due to not playing a lot. I'm in one game now, but we're only playing every 2 to 4 weeks (herding cats, am I right?) and we're not using these houserules anyway. I did play a bit with a 0th level and ½ level character in another game, and they seemed to work fine for their intended purposes.