PDA

View Full Version : Favored soul

de-trick
2007-11-16, 12:24 PM
Need advice on how to build a favored soul of lathander in a horror based campagin.
1 aristrocart/ 3 favored soul
stats are Str[14] Dex[12] Con[14] wis[10] Int[10] Chr[17]
feats not sure about

homebrew Chr is to DC for spells

Keld Denar
2007-11-16, 12:36 PM
Favored Soul is a pretty good character to stick with for all levels, so I'm not gonna go into multiclassing.

Feats,

Augmented Healing - gets more bang for your healing buck.
XXX Devotion - you can take me based on your dieties portfolio, you don't actually need the domain. Travel is a nice one.
Craft Wonderous would be ok, but you need to make sure you pick your spells known carefully

Spells
Try to make sure you have a healing spell at each level for the first 2-3 levels. Cure Critical isn't that big of a step up for combat healing, and Cure Serious is ok, but not wonderful if you want to take other spells. Lessor Vigor (CD) should be your 1st level healing spell. Heal (capital H) is THE combat healing spell, all others fall short. It has the highest hp/spell level of any of the heals (17 points with augmented healing) and great for healing after combat. For the rest of your spells, make sure you take the big utility ones. Bless at low levels is key. Protection from Evil is great, simply for the mind affecting part. Silence is golden, massive utility there. Prayer is offensive and defensive, buffs you and friends, debuffs enemies, no save. 4th level is full of good spells. FoM, Death Ward, Delay Death (CD), Greater Magic Weapon, and a ton of other useful spells. That should provide a good start.

Temp
2007-11-16, 12:58 PM
Without a Good alignment, you're not likely to get Turn Undead and will thus miss out on Charisma synergies. So Good Alignments are handy things to have.

And feats/spells? Knowing what you want it is you want to do would definitely help for those.

Shishnarfne
2007-11-16, 01:02 PM
One thing to cover some of your weak points (finite number of spells known per level) is to invest in a few scrolls of Remove Disease, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Restoration, etc. if you don't take those sort of spells as your spells known.
It's really hard to justify learning too many of these (they cut into your other options), but if you ever need to cast one of these, the party will thank you greatly for having the scroll.

Again, go for utility in spell choice. The party will probably forgive you if you don't always do as much damage (e.g. Deific Vengeance, Searing Light), but being unable to restore the wizard's sight after a Blindness/Deafness spell will have them looking for the nearest temple. I'll second Freedom of Movement and Deathward as two highly critical buff spells for a horror-type campaign. Actually, for that kind of campaign Restoration probably wouldn't hurt, either...

Edit: Favored Souls don't get Turning, IIRC.

Temp
2007-11-16, 02:17 PM
Edit: Favored Souls don't get Turning, IIRC.Exactly. The easiest way to get Turning--Sacred Exorcist--requires a good alignment.

Turning introduces Charisma synergies and DMM, both of which are great.

de-trick
2007-11-16, 04:59 PM
What i want out of my character
-a healer
-a buffer
and a warrior

storyline

I grew up in a small town being of a noble family, unknown to me my father was a worshiper of orcus and killed my mother and unborn brother as a sacrifice. My uncle is a vampire baron of the area and my father also worked with him. My uncle has found out about 7 figurines that can cause harm to the world. The party finds out and launches a attack on the baron which makes a army of undead come we are waiting in the church right now(ended here)

alignment CG

Character Wise
-Good feats
-a prestige class with a + to caster and has a good base attack
-good spells
-a way to optimize my Chr

Temp
2007-11-16, 05:55 PM
Okay, so melee-focused.

Feats to look at:
--Power Attack is a neccessity.
--Extend Spell is nice and Persistant Spell is good later on.
--Destruction Devotion (CChamp) can be nice if you plan on gaining Turn Undead at some point.
--Touch of Healing (CChamp) means you don't have to waste as many spells healing
--Rapid Metamagic (CMage) at level 9 is a good thing.
--Quicken Spell after Rapid Metamagic is a very good thing.

Since you have an Aristcrat level, you'll be able to qualify for Sacred Exorcist (CDiv)at level 10. If your Campaign's going that high, pump your Know (Religion) and Know (The Planes) skills. This will also let you meet Contemplative (CDiv) prerequisites if that class is available.

After you have Turn Undead,
Divine Metamagic (CDiv), Divine Might (CWar), Sacred Vitality (LibMort), Sacred Healing (CDiv) and Divine Shield (CWar) are useful.

If you get the War Domain from Contemplative, Holy Warrior (CChamp) is a useful damage source.

Questionably available:
The Dreadful Wrath regional feat (PGtF)--By Fighting/Casting spells, you force enemies to make Will saves against a Charisma-based "Shaken" effect.
Knight of the Raven (EtCR)-- You'll qualify at level 7; it gives 10/10 BA, 9/10 spellcasting, Turn Undead, Sun Domain and useful abilities.

de-trick
2007-11-16, 06:45 PM
dont want to sound like a newb but what book is ETCR

Temp
2007-11-16, 06:48 PM
That's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft; It's very rarely used and the class is powerful enough to be disallowed quite often. I just put it on the list because it's one of the two ways that I could think of (beside Apostle of Peace) to get Turn Undead.

SofS
2007-11-17, 02:34 AM
If you're playing a melee-focused character who will end up with turning at some point in an undead-heavy campaign, which is what this sounds like, you might do worse than picking up the Sun Devotion feat. Add your character level in extra damage on melee attacks against undead for one minute per day plus additional uses for each turning attempt expended. Could be effective.

de-trick
2007-11-17, 10:26 AM
1 aristocrat/6 favored soul/1 sacred exorcist/ 1 favored soul/1 pious templar/1 morninglord of lathander/x

so far I get
-weapon focus heavy mace
-resistance 10 to a energy
-4th level cleric spells
-turn undead
-turn undead at my class level
-double spells with light
-evasion with fort/will

Temp
2007-11-17, 01:04 PM
1 aristocrat/6 favored soul/1 sacred exorcist/ 1 favored soul/1 pious templar/1 morninglord of lathander/x

Sacred Exorcist requires Dismissal, so you need at least 8 levels of Favored Soul spellcasting.

-turn undead at my class level
Realize that at ECL 11, your combined Sacred Exorcist/Morninglord class level will be 2--a third level Cleric will be better at it.

de-trick
2007-11-17, 09:26 PM
Sacred Exorcist requires Dismissal, so you need at least 8 levels of Favored Soul spellcasting..
I thought it was ether

Spells: Ability to cast dismissal or dispel evil.

Realize that at ECL 11, your combined Sacred Exorcist/Morninglord class level will be 2--a third level Cleric will be better at it.

morninglord gives me a effective cleric level of class level

Temp
2007-11-17, 09:34 PM
I thought it was ether...Dispel Evil's a fifth level spell. If you want in via that route, you need at least 10 levels of Favored Soul casting.

morninglord gives me a effective cleric level of class level
Exactly. If it gave you Turning by Character level, it would be a different matter.

de-trick
2007-11-17, 09:42 PM
I hate using internet sites,:smallmad:

awy from the books right know I only have SRD, crystal keep and realmshelp

Craig1f
2007-11-19, 10:58 AM
One thing to cover some of your weak points (finite number of spells known per level) is to invest in a few scrolls of Remove Disease, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Restoration, etc. if you don't take those sort of spells as your spells known.

Panacea from Spell Compendium is a good choice if you don't take many affliction-curing spells. Panacea is good cure-all for most afflictions.

Seerow
2007-11-19, 11:05 AM
Hrm... I had a Favored Soul on the Wizards boards that was designed specifically to take advantage f healing/buffing/melee prowess as a Favored Soul, sounds like it'd be a perfect match here. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Edit: Found it, but I think this is an older version. I seem to remember scrapping the Bow of Wintermoon and switched to a Dwarf rather than Half-Elf, but this should give a fair idea of what to look at. No need to take everything in it, just look at the general build for where to go. Basically, I dumped Wisdom entirely, deciding not to bother with any save based spells, to reduce MAD. The primary focus is getting long term and quickened buffs, and lots of healing. Always keep the top couple of levels with at least one healing spell, swap them out later when the healing becomes outdated (especially when you can get a wand easily)

Half-Elf Favored Soul of Corellon Larethian
Str-15(8 points)
Dex-10(2 points)
Con-14 (6 points)
Int-10(2 points)
Wis-8 (0 points)
Cha-16 (10 points)

Str: 15+4(levels)+5(tome)=24
Dex: 10+6(Item)=16
Con: 16+6(item)=22
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 16+1(level)+5(tome)+6(item)=28

Feats:
1-Power Attack
3(b)-Weapon Focus(Longsword)
3-Stand Still
6-Mage Slayer
9-Rapid Metamagic
12(b)-Weapon Specialization(Longsword)
12-Quicken Spell
15-Melee Weapon Mastery(Slashing)
18-Practiced Spellcaster

Items:
+5 Tome of Strength (137,500)
+5 Tome of Charisma(137,500)
+1 Metaline Longsword (18,300)
+1 Metaline Glaive (18,308 GP)
Masterwork Heavy Mace (312 GP)
Masterwork Dagger (302 GP)
Bow of the Wintermoon (36,300 GP) [Complete Divine, functionally +4 Drowbane weapon, automatically adjusts pull to Weilder's strength]
20 adamantine arrows (3,000 GP)
40 archemical silver arrows (160 GP)
60 cold iron arrows (12 GP)
Bead of Karma (20,000 GP)
Orange Ioun Stone (30,000 GP)
Pale Green Ioun Stone (30,000 GP)
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone (5000 GP)
Luckstone (20,000 GP)
+1 Heavy Fortification Mythril Full Plate With Armor Spikes (46,550 GP)
+1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield (9,165 GP)
+5 Cloak of Resistance (25,000 GP)
+6 Vest of Health (36,000 GP)
+6 Gloves of Dexterity (36,000 GP)
+6 Headband of Charisma (36,000 GP)
+5 Amulet of Natural Armor (50,000 GP)
+5 Ring of Protection (50,000 GP)
Bracers of Archery, Lesser (5,000 GP)
Boots of Speed (12,000 GP)
Handy Haversack (2,000 GP)
--------
Total: 759,097

Pre Buffs(Just woke up, hasn't had breakfast yet, got attacked in the middle of the night with his pants down):
HP: 193
Innitiative: +3
AC: 10+3(dex)+1(insight)+9(Armor)+3(Shield)+5(natural) +5(deflection)=36
Speed: 20ft, Fly 60ft (Good)
BAB +15 Grapple +22
Saves: Fort +24; Ref +22; Will +19
Attack: +27 Metaline Longsword 1d8+15 (19-20x2)
OR +26 Metaline Glaive 1d10+13 (20x3)
OR +26 Masterwork Dagger 1d4+9 (19-20x2)
OR +24 Masterwork Heavy Mace 1d8+10 (20x2)
OR +23 Bow of Wintermoon 1d8+11(20x3)

With Day Long Buffs Up(Standard, Magic Vestment on Armor and Shield, GMW on Sword, Glaive, and Dagger):
AC: 10+3(dex)+1(insight)+13(Armor)+7(Shield)+5(natural )+5(deflection)=44
Attack: +31 Metaline Longsword1d8+19 (19-20x2)
OR +30 Metaline Glaive 1d10+17 (20x3)
OR +30 Dagger 1d4+14 (19-20x2)
OR +28 Heavy Mace 1d8+15 (20x2)
OR +23 Bow of Wintermoon 1d8+11 (20x3)

With Divine Power(Single Quickened Spell, has up by or before first round of combat):
Str: 30
HP: 213
Attack: +39 Metaline Longsword 1d8+24 (19-20x2)
OR +38 Metaline Glaive 1d10+22 (20x3)
OR +38 Dagger 1d4+17 (19-20x2)
OR +36 Heavy Mace 1d8+20 (20x2)
OR +28 Bow of Wintermoon 1d8+14 (20x3)

With Righteous Might (Either second round of combat, or first if you have ANY forewarning):
Str: 34
Con: 24
HP: 233
AC: 43
DR9/Evil
Attack: +40 Metaline Longsword 2d6+27 (19-20x2)
OR +39 Glaive 2d8+25 (20x3)
OR +39 Dagger 1d6+19 (19-20x2)
OR +37 Heavy Mace 1d8+23 (20x2)
OR +27 Bow of Wintermoon 2d6+15 (20x3)

Spells:
Per Day:
0th-6
1st-9
2nd-8
3rd-8
4th-8
5th-8
6th-7
7th-6 (one slot sacrificed for Bow of Wintermoon)
8th-7
9th-7

Known:
0th-9
Create Water
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Guidance
Light
Mending
Read Magic
Resistance

1st-6
Bless
Divine Favor
Entropic Shield
Resurgence
Shield of Faith
Vision of Glory

2nd-6
Aid
Align Weapon
Ghost Touch Armor
Silence
Shield Other
Spiritual Weapon

3rd-6
Fell the Greatest Foe
Magic Circle Against Evil
Magic Vestment
Prayer
Shield of Warding
Wind Wall

4th-6
Death Ward
Dimensional Anchor
Divine Power
Freedom of Movement
Magic Weapon, Greater
Positive Energy Aura

5th-6
Divine Agility
Plane Shift
Righteous Might
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Spell Resistance
True Seeing

6th-6
Energy Immunity
Blade Barrier
Energy Immunity
Greater Dispel Magic
Heal
Zealot Pact

7th-6
Brilliant Blade
Death Dragon
Ethreal Jaunt
Fortunate Fate
Holy Transformation
Regenerate

8th-5
Antimagic Field
Death Pact
Holy Aura
Spell Imunity, Greater
Summon Monster VIII

9th-4
Energy Drain
Miracle
Heal, Mass
Visage of the Deity, Greater

Temp
2007-11-19, 09:06 PM
Feats:
1-Power Attack
3(b)-Weapon Focus(Longsword)
3-Stand Still
6-Mage Slayer
9-Rapid Metamagic
12(b)-Weapon Specialization(Longsword)
12-Quicken Spell
15-Melee Weapon Mastery(Slashing)
18-Practiced SpellcasterFirst, is there any chance you could spoiler that post? It's enormous.

Anyway, if he's starting at level 11, Mage Slayer's going to hurt him more than it will help.

And Melee Weapon Mastery isn't worth it. The benefits are too small compared to those of Robilar's Gambit or Divine Feats (which he might as well take via Sacred Exorcist if he has the Aristocrat level anyway).

Seerow
2007-11-20, 06:36 PM
First, is there any chance you could spoiler that post? It's enormous.

What's the comand for it here? I tried [sblock] that didn't work so I edited it out.

Anyway, if he's starting at level 11, Mage Slayer's going to hurt him more than it will help.

And Melee Weapon Mastery isn't worth it. The benefits are too small compared to those of Robilar's Gambit or Divine Feats (which he might as well take via Sacred Exorcist if he has the Aristocrat level anyway).

Honestly, I made this build a year or so ago, in response to a challenge to make a caster who could compete as well as a Fighter, even in an extended day. The challenge was a straight-classed character, so I didnt have the ability to play with Sacred Exorcist and get turning. I would definitely go for including that and playing around with the feats as you see fit.

Temp
2007-11-20, 06:48 PM
What's the comand for it here? I tried [sblock] that didn't work so I edited it out.Yeah, no problem, it's...

"{spoiler} stuff {/spoiler}"

...with brackets. I don't think there's a shortcut button/command.

Fixer
2007-11-21, 07:48 AM
My wife wanted a straightforward character who was focused on combat (minoring in healing and then mostly only in combat so CLW is better than Lesser Vigor for that) so I designed this one. She added the story and stuff at the top.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dch332f9_4hm99g4&hl=en

Just scroll down near the bottom. There is a level-by-level breakdown from 1 to 20. No prestige classes (she isn't into cheese).