PDA

View Full Version : Echo Knight + PAM

nickl_2000
2021-09-15, 08:03 AM
If you are using PAM as an Echo Knight and someone comes within reach of the Echo, do you get an AoO through PAM?

da newt
2021-09-15, 08:13 AM
I believe the specific wording of PAM restricts the OA for entering the threat range to only apply to you not to your echo.

"While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, quarterstaff, or spear, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon."

nickl_2000
2021-09-15, 08:21 AM
I believe the specific wording of PAM restricts the OA for entering the threat range to only apply to you not to your echo.

"While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, quarterstaff, or spear, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon."

Seemed like it would be to good to be true

Christew
2021-09-15, 08:28 AM
When a creature that you can see within 5 feet of your echo moves at least 5 feet away from it, you can use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against that creature as if you were in the echo's space.

RAW: The PAM trigger does not match the trigger described in the class ability. So, no.

RAI: The class ability is describing the normal trigger for an AoO. It could be read as "You can make AoOs as if you were in the echo's space." PAM modifies what triggers an AoO. PAM should modify the class ability. So, probably yes.

Ask your DM, a remotely lenient one will probably allow it.

Hytheter
2021-09-15, 08:34 AM
Notably, you can't even make normal 10ft reach opportunity attacks with a polearm via your echo because it only works when they move from 5ft.

da newt
2021-09-15, 09:17 AM
Agree - ask your DM how they interpret the feat / subclass interaction to see how they rule.

When I played an Echo Knight - AG Barb w/ PAM we agreed that the PAM specific OA trigger only applied to ME, but the EK OA (5' exiting) still came in handy (especially once I picked up Sentinel). With favorable positioning I could create an op att more often than not.