PDA

View Full Version : Would these two feats make you feel happy as a player if you sat down to game?

BoutsofInsanity
2021-09-15, 02:58 PM
Two things of note for context

Assume that I'm am just fine balancing at encounters as your DM and you will still be challenged.
Great Weapon Master feat doesn't exist. So long as any character is wielding a heavy weapon they are proficient with, they can take -5 to hit and +10 to damage.

Titan's Grip

+1 to Strength or Constitution
May wield versatile weapons in one hand and use their two handed damage die
It gains the heavy property and can be used for the -5/+10 maneuver one handed

Great Weapon Onslaught

When you kill a creature with a two handed weapon you may make another single melee attack as a bonus action
When you hit a creature with a two handed weapon you may as a bonus action make a shove attack. If you are successful you deal your strength modifier in damage to the creature

Reasoning

Neither feat are necessary to any character build falling into the Sword and Board archetype or the two handed archetype. Pole Arm Master still offers a bonus action attack, Shield Master offers bonus action shoves, all two handed weapon types can still "Power Attack". By removing the GWM, I instead add two feats that further develop a build without being required to make the build functional. Each feat is designed to enhance each of the play style offered by the two standard archetypes. With Titan's Grip giving further offensive options to the Sword and Board, letting them now keep up in damage with two handed fighters. No longer punished for their defensive style of play. While the Great Weapon Onslaught goes deeper down the offensive tree. Letting characters have more offensive attacks and dynamic abilities offering a reward for using the shove action instead of auto attacking.

Buufreak
2021-09-15, 04:11 PM
Care to let us know what edition this is meant for?

luuma
2021-09-15, 04:23 PM
It's 5e, right?

These feats look alright to me. What I would dislike is

Great Weapon Master feat doesn't exist. So long as any character is wielding a heavy weapon they are proficient with, they can take -5 to hit and +10 to damage.

I'd rather the game didn't have this effect built in. It doesn't suit every single build, and adding it to every single build isn't really an ideal solution.

If you give every class this ability, I feel like the gap between Barbarian and every other martial in the game will just become huge until like 11th level.

Maybe tone it down to -3/+5?

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-15, 07:24 PM
It's 5e, right?

These feats look alright to me. What I would dislike is

I'd rather the game didn't have this effect built in. It doesn't suit every single build, and adding it to every single build isn't really an ideal solution.

If you give every class this ability, I feel like the gap between Barbarian and every other martial in the game will just become huge until like 11th level.

Maybe tone it down to -3/+5?

I've seen what I think is a common and fair -proficiency/+(2 x proficiency).

Phhase
2021-09-15, 09:39 PM
Great Weapon Onslaught

When you kill a creature with a two handed weapon you may make another single melee attack as a bonus action
When you hit a creature with a two handed weapon you may as a bonus action make a shove attack. If you are successful you deal your strength modifier in damage to the creature

I like them. Some clarifications would help though. For example, in GWO, how do you define "two-handed weapon"?
Do you mean:

"A weapon that has the Two-Handed property"?
"A (Any) weapon that is being held with both hands "?
"A weapon that has the Two-Handed property, while using both hands to hold it?"
"A weapon that has the Two-Handed or Versatile property, while using both hands to hold it"?

Additionally, specify if the Str Mod damage is instead of, or in addition to, the effects of a successful shove attempt.

luuma
2021-09-16, 01:00 PM
I've seen what I think is a common and fair -proficiency/+(2 x proficiency).

My problem with this is that -2/+4 pretty much always improves your damage output regardless of the foe's AC, whereas -5+10 sometimes has a very small amount of tactics to it

Yakk
2021-09-16, 01:11 PM
In my opinion, a feat should be character defining, and compete with +2 to your primary attack attribute. You only get one every 4 levels or so.

By that standard, Titan's Grip qualifies; "I swing big weapons". However, limiting it to Versatile weapons is a bit meh; all it does is make a longsword hit harder.

The difference between 1d10 and 2d6 is small, damage wise (1.5 per hit, 1.5 per crit); the -5/+10 has a bigger impact. So you both eliminate most of the reason to go 2 handed and make the feat less fun, at the same time.

There are a few kinds of ways to be a melee attacker in 5e. There is Sword+Board, Two Weapon, Great Weapon, and Sword+Empty hand.

Your feats make Great Weapon obsolete after taking a feat (S+B beats it).

We can compare:
PAM+Spear+Shield+Duelist (5.5 per swing, extra swing, shield AC, 1 feat, no -5/+10, can swap 2 per swing for 1 AC (defensive))
PAM+GWF+Halbard (6.3 per swing, extra swing, 1 feat, can swap 0.8 per swing for 1 AC (defensive))
Titan+Longsword+Shield+Duelist (7.5 per swing, shield AC, 1 feat, can swap 2 per swing for 1 AC (defensive))
Greatsword+GWF (8.3 per swing, can swap 1.3 per swing for 1 AC (defensive))
Dual Wielder + Titan + Longsword x2 + TWF/Defensive (5.5 per swing, extra swing, +1 AC or stat damage on extra swing, 2 feats)

as damage builds.

The Greatsword build gets you -5/+10 damage with fewer feats, and that is about all it is good for.

Myself, I'd want 2W/GW/S+B to all feel different in interesting ways, instead of being various cost levels of delivering -5/+10 hits.

noob
2021-09-16, 01:58 PM
Two things of note for context

Great Weapon Onslaught

I think there is an issue with that feat: many people do not want to kill a creature and merely wants to knock them down as they know that by being fair and not finishing opponents on the ground then that the opponent is more likely to do the same(also because gaining prisonners is cool and that killing can feel awful against opponents that have families like goblins for example(human bandits unlike goblin bandits have no families and appear out of thin air so feel free to kill all the human bandits ever))
Furthermore it can come out as "waste an action finishing a downed opponent in order to hope to use a bonus action to attack an opponent"

If that was not 5e homebrew but instead 3.5 homebrew then disregard what I said: in 3.5 hitting something a single time usually kills it there is none of that "death saves" nor of that "there is no negative hp you merely start dying" in 3.5.

HumanFighter
2021-09-16, 06:35 PM
I like this. I think the -5 accuracy/+10 to dmg property should be a thing anyway, regardless of what feats you have. But why limit it to 2-handers only?
Also I like the two-handed weapon onslaught feat especially, it is basically the "Cleave" feat from D&D 3.5, but with a little extra oomf. Also your version has a better, more legendary-sounding name :smallbiggrin:
I would for sure be happy to sit down and game with these two feats in place, especially the getting rid of the Great Weapon Fighter Feat and just giving that ability to certain weapon types, much more fun IMO.
Happy gaming :smallsmile:

noob
2021-09-17, 02:14 AM
I like this. I think the -5 accuracy/+10 to dmg property should be a thing anyway, regardless of what feats you have. But why limit it to 2-handers only?
Also I like the two-handed weapon onslaught feat especially, it is basically the "Cleave" feat from D&D 3.5, but with a little extra oomf. Also your version has a better, more legendary-sounding name :smallbiggrin:
I would for sure be happy to sit down and game with these two feats in place, especially the getting rid of the Great Weapon Fighter Feat and just giving that ability to certain weapon types, much more fun IMO.
Happy gaming :smallsmile:

That "cleave" feat is actually bad at cleaving through monster groups(getting a monster to fall down from damage is not the same thing as killing it so in fact it only is cleave if you wanted to kill each dying monster before attacking the next monster) and its ability to replicate shield bash is generally more useful.

I think the cleave effect on that feat is mostly a flavour thing for showing how much violent you are: you get someone to fall down in a dying state, hit him again to finish him off and then your unending thirst for murder makes you start killing the next person.

Rynjin
2021-09-17, 02:53 AM
Ah, have we finally reached the point in 5e's lifespan where players realize that, like every other edition with the Feat beforehand, not baking Power Attack into the baseline system assumptions was a mistake?

Kane0
2021-09-17, 03:22 AM
Ah, have we finally reached the point in 5e's lifespan where players realize that, like every other edition with the Feat beforehand, not baking Power Attack into the baseline system assumptions was a mistake?

Heh, not quite. -5/+10 puts you decidedly ahead of the expected damage curve, giving it to everyone (as opposed to the current archers and two-handed melee) just adjusts that baseline.

BoutsofInsanity
2021-09-17, 12:10 PM
I really appreciate all the responses. It's helping me really narrow down what I need to alter.

Titan's Grip - A bit too strong when combined with the already baked in -5/+10 and becomes necessary to grab.

Great Weapon Onslaught doesn't quite do what it needs to do in order to feel powerful enough to stand next to the +2 AC provided by a shield.

---------------------------------------

My idea would be to allow for people who go traditional sword and board to not get left behind in damage.

And for Two Handed Weapon fighters get the opportunity to have a more dynamic and decisive offense. Rewarding the two handed choice. Without being a necessary feat to take. Given that the Power Attack option would always be on making two handed fighting viable without another feat.