PDA

View Full Version : Tabaxi rogue barbarian build

gryffydd65
2021-09-16, 10:47 AM
Asking for help on this build tabaxi rogue barbarian. We start at at 2nd level. I was going to go first two levels rogue and then barbarian way of the beast. This is more for roleplay than optimizing. But I am wondering if I should start split 1/1 or start 2 levels barbarian first. Playing the Chult module. Looking to be quick quiet and deadly, attacking from the rear . So circling wide to get around and then attack. Any suggestions?

Abracadangit
2021-09-16, 11:03 AM
If you're looking to be a stealthy skirmisher, than 1 level of Rogue gets you Expertise, for Stealth and any other proficiency you want. That seems like a solid reason to go 1 Rogue other reasons notwithstanding, then 1 level of Barb for the rage, which you can fluff as your beast transformation anyway until the subclass comes online at level 3 and your "beast mode" gets a buff.

RogueJK
2021-09-16, 11:03 AM
What are you wanting from the Rogue level(s)?

You won't be able to Sneak Attack with any of the Beast Barbarian natural weapons, since they're neither ranged nor Finesse weapons. Same with your Tabaxi claws.

Cunning Action is hit or miss with this concept. Keep in mind that a Barbarian has to either attack an enemy or receive damage every round in order to keep their Rage going. As a result, you won't want BA Disengage in most turns, and opportunities to BA Hide near melee will be very limited. BA Dash is potentially helpful, but you already have added mobility from Barbarian's speed increase, coupled with your Tabaxi racial quasi-Dash ability that's usable on alternating turns.

1 level of Rogue may be nice for Expertise and a couple extra skill proficiencies. But you have to consider whether it's worth delaying your higher Barbarian abilities by one level.

So I'd suggest no more than 1 level of Rogue, if any. And consider just going straight Beast Barbarian, picking up the Skill Expert feat for an extra skill proficiency, expertise in one primary skill like Athletics/Perception/Stealth, and a +1 to round out an odd numbered STR/DEX/CON.

Keravath
2021-09-16, 12:01 PM
I'd second the comments above.

What are you looking for from this build?

To utilize the barbarian features like rage damage you need to make melee attacks with strength weapons. You CAN use sneak attack by using strength with a finesse weapon for example. In addition, this can synergize well with reckless attack by the barbarian which will give the character advantage on the attack roll and thus also trigger the possibility of sneak attack.

However, this means that you want a tabaxi that emphasizes strength and likely con, not dexterity beyond the 14 needed to maximize the benefit of medium armor. In combat, the character would likely use a rapier and a shield to increase their survivability in the front line with a higher AC.

I'd also add that the concept of "Looking to be quick quiet and deadly, attacking from the rear . So circling wide to get around and then attack." doesn't really exist in 5e.

Unless your DM uses the optional flanking rules (and I recommend against it), there is no advantage to circling around an opponent and a possible downside since it might make it easier for other opponents to attack you. In addition, you don't need to circle wide since opportunity attacks are only triggered when you leave a creatures reach - this means you can run up to your target and then run around behind them (if that is what you want to do) without any penalty. It also uses less movement. So unless your DM is using house rules there is no point in "circling around wide and attacking from behind".

That said, a tabaxi barbarian/rogue is a cool character. However, I'd probably start with 5 levels of barbarian for extra attack and then multiclass into something like scout rogue wearing medium armor and a shield while wielding a rapier. The character would focus on strength and con mostly with a 14 dex.

Unfortunately, neither the beast barbarian claws or the tabaxi claws have the finesse property so you would not be able to combine these with sneak attack unless your DM house rules it. You can use strength for your sneak attack but it still has to be made with a finesse or ranged weapon.