PDA

View Full Version : What do Priests Wear?

Dr paradox
2021-09-17, 03:45 PM
I've been trying to find some satisfactory resources for this, but I'm pretty much only coming up with Christian and Catholic sources.

In America, at least, the idea of "priests" is so closely bound to Abrahamic faiths that it's difficult to conceptualize religious vestments for fantastical polytheistic religions without falling back on Christian clichés of cassock, stoll, and mitre cap. This is to say nothing of titles like "brother" and "father" being pretty much de facto.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about how, say, Hellenistic priests would be garbed? What about polytheistic Romans or Danes? Slavic Pagans? How have you differentiated priests in your setting from Christian cliche?

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-17, 04:40 PM
Togas.
Boxer shorts.
Nothing.
Long flowing robes.
Linen blankets.

Your question is a bit too broad.

Anonymouswizard
2021-09-17, 05:08 PM
I might want to edit your post to remove the real world references.

To answer your question, pretty much anything. It'll depend on the religion and the priest in question.

For everyday tasks, probably what everybody else wears. Which will meet likely be a dress or tunic alongside leggings if they do physical work, potentially robes if not. Ceremonial garments are a different story.

Robes are likely to be pretty common, but the exact style will differ. But they're pretty much my go to anyway.

Get yourself some good symbols and incorporate them into the clothing. Or ditch the clothing entirely of it makes sense. Some religions might actually promote priests just wearing normal clothes.

LibraryOgre
2021-09-17, 05:47 PM
I've been trying to find some satisfactory resources for this, but I'm pretty much only coming up with Christian and Catholic sources.

In America, at least, the idea of "priests" is so closely bound to Abrahamic faiths that it's difficult to conceptualize religious vestments for fantastical polytheistic religions without falling back on Christian clichés of cassock, stoll, and mitre cap. This is to say nothing of titles like "brother" and "father" being pretty much de facto.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about how, say, Hellenistic priests would be garbed? What about polytheistic Romans or Danes? Slavic Pagans? How have you differentiated priests in your setting from Christian cliche?

The Mod Ogre: Closed.