PDA

View Full Version : Circumstance bonuses to intimidate

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-16, 02:13 PM
Lets write some circumstance bonus to intimidate. Feel free to argue and discuss.

Breaking an item to your head. Apparent hardness/5

SoD
2007-11-16, 02:17 PM
2) Pointing a weapon at your opponant.
3) Having the dead body of your previous (failed) intimidate check lying behind you.
4) Which your latest check saw you kill.
5) Having your opponant in a dark room with a light pointing in their face.
6) Keep on repeating 'it was you, we got lots of people say you did it, just admit it was you' and things of that sort of thing until they break down and scream 'YES! OK! IT WAS ME! I ADMIT IT! JUST, PLEASE!!! TELL ME WHAT I DID!'

tainsouvra
2007-11-16, 02:24 PM
I'd say +2 to +4 if you have a reputation for following through on threats in horrific ways, and the target is aware of that reputation.

I'd also give a +2 if you reasonably could follow through on a threat right now, and your target is aware of that possibility.

Beyond that, though, I'd say most things that players are considering circumstance bonuses would be encompassed by having skill ranks and charisma. PC's with ranks in Intimidate are almost universally vastly more intimidating than players could even imagine, and the things a player thinks would be a fun bonus are actually old hat to the PC.

JaxGaret
2007-11-16, 02:56 PM
Holding a jar that's labeled "Contains X's Profitable Organs", whilst attempting to Intimidate X.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-16, 03:01 PM
I get the impression that a good portion of the population here reads Pratchett.

To contribute I imagine having a sharp object currently exploring their redundant organs would make for a circumstance bonus to intimidate. Also putting the person in a very precarious and potentially fatal position would work as well, such as dangling off of a precipice.

tainsouvra
2007-11-16, 03:02 PM
Holding a jar that's labeled "Contains X's Profitable Organs", whilst attempting to Intimidate X. That's hilarious. As a serious suggestion, though, that wouldn't work. If you're intimidating enough to pull that off, you've already intimidated him...and if you're not, then you just made your captive giggle.

Rolaran
2007-11-16, 03:09 PM
Well, it's not quite the same, but my group had done "good cop bad cop"... The Fighter makes an Intimidate Check, then the Cleric makes a Diplomacy check with a bonus of the Intimidate check/5. Something we houseruled together, it makes for fun roleplaying.

JaxGaret
2007-11-16, 03:09 PM
That's hilarious. As a serious suggestion, though, that wouldn't work. If you're intimidating enough to pull that off, you've already intimidated him...and if you're not, then you just made your captive giggle.

:smallsmile: Thanks. I thought it was worth a chuckle.

Green Bean
2007-11-16, 03:11 PM
Having recently taken out six of his buddies in one shot with your sword. (Getting lucky with Great Cleave)

Mewtarthio
2007-11-16, 03:19 PM
Knowing the names and personal details of whatever the target values most should provide a nice bonus.

Leicontis
2007-11-16, 03:19 PM
Here's a fun trick for boosting an Intimidate check:

Step 1) Make the last kill of the fight using the Matter Agitation psionic power.
Step 2) Keep concentrating.
Step 3) Haul the still-cooking corpse over in front of the subject of the Intimidate check and give him a good look.

I may have done this with my kineticist once or twice :)

JaxGaret
2007-11-16, 03:20 PM
Knowing the names and personal details of whatever the target values most should provide a nice bonus.

Or will just make them fight harder.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-16, 03:42 PM
Or will just make them fight harder.

Right. I was assuming this was the social use of intimidate, not the demoralizing function. For demoralization, I think somehow being immune to pain, then intentionally and blatantly lowering your guard and Dex to AC to let the opponent hit you with his best shot, should provide a nice bonus. Heck, I'd make this bonus particularly nice, since you're hurting yourself, but only if you avoid showing pain (it kind of ruins the effect if you go: "Come on, hit me with all you've go--Argh! My intestines! You bastard, what did they ever do to you?!"). Maybe make a Fort save equal to damage dealt?

Also, I believe there's actually a feat out there that lets you intentionally fight poorly to give yourself a bonus to demoralize checks.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-16, 03:49 PM
Well, it's not quite the same, but my group had done "good cop bad cop"... The Fighter makes an Intimidate Check, then the Cleric makes a Diplomacy check with a bonus of the Intimidate check/5. Something we houseruled together, it makes for fun roleplaying.

This is a pretty neat idea. Mind if I steal it?

Roderick_BR
2007-11-16, 11:54 PM
Displaying careless use of magical abilities (like setting things aflame around you with fireballs while laughing hysterically... hey, worked for my wizard. My DM gave me a +2 bonus). Making it sound like you can slay the victim just because you feel like it, or is insane (or both) may scare someone in a bad position.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-17, 12:15 AM
Depending on the relative courage and commitment of your target, threats of direct lethal force, and especially threats made while standing over the dead body of someone who "called your bluff" (oops, you weren't bluffing), could very reasonably be an automatic success.

To me, the Intimidate skill is the ability to scare people just by sheer presence alone, even regardless of whether you can truly back it up or not. You make them think you're dangerous and mean business, even if you really aren't.

When you're standing over the mutilated corpse of someone's late friend, clutching a gore-soaked axe, you no longer necessarily need presence. They bloody well know you're dangerous and mean business, even if you looked like a joke to them just a moment ago!

Quietus
2007-11-17, 12:30 AM
My particular favorite was with my Cleric/Wizard of Wee Jas - someone was being a pain in the *** and not giving me the information I wanted. My cleric is a very laid back sort of guy, but certainly thoroughly evil - he's after magical power, and knowledge that will lead to that power. And he does what's necessary to get it.

He wanted a bit of information from one particular NPC who he KNEW had it, and made a few checks - started with Diplomacy (might as well NOT spend effort, right?), followed by Intimidate. Neither worked (poor rolls on each), so Keldarin sighs, and tells the guy, "Listen. I'm going to get this information one way or another. You can either tell me now, or I can kill you and ask your corpse, which frankly, is looking like a pretty good idea right now."

I would've gotten a circumstance bonus for that... if I'd needed it. Rolled a nat 20 on that Intimidate, though; sometimes, the dice just *know*.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-17, 01:24 AM
When you're standing over the mutilated corpse of someone's late friend, clutching a gore-soaked axe, you no longer necessarily need presence. They bloody well know you're dangerous and mean business, even if you looked like a joke to them just a moment ago!

Of course, it's also possible that they'll just do whatever it takes to keep you from killing them. They might just decide to kill you first. Or call in guards. A successful Intimidate check means they're so irrationally terrified that they won't do either.

Pironious
2007-11-17, 01:32 AM
Maybe make a Fort save equal to damage dealt?

Also, I believe there's actually a feat out there that lets you intentionally fight poorly to give yourself a bonus to demoralize checks.

Bluff check not fort save. You're still gonna feel the pain, you've gotta be good at not letting it show.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-17, 01:34 AM
Of course, it's also possible that they'll just do whatever it takes to keep you from killing them. They might just decide to kill you first. Or call in guards. A successful Intimidate check means they're so irrationally terrified that they won't do either.

Yes, but there's also perfectly rational terror in a case where someone just casually and effortlessly butchered your friend and is now looming over you. It's just poor roleplay to say, "Well, NPCs only care about their lives if they fall the opposed Intimidate check."

I mean, maybe if you're trying to intimidate a Spartan (yay, 300 reference!) or a samurai (the real thing, not the CW joke), you'd just get spittle in your eye and a bared blade aimed at you as the reply, but Joe Blow the Average Citizen or LittleScaleyGuy the Random Kobold (no, not Pun-Pun) is probably going to be scared ****less regardless of any Intimidate checks.

Rationally.

Hawriel
2007-11-17, 02:17 AM
Ive just read a real life use of intimidation. Im reading The Last Battle by Cornelios Ryan. Its about the fall of Burlin. When he was talking about the speed of the allied advance after crossing the line Ryan game afew examples of how the advanced forces found their way when they moved beyond the maps they had. One Captain from the 83rd ID would, when needing directions, walk up the the first german he saw stick a gun in their ribs and ask if porper german his current location and what was roads where ahead and so on. He was always given very good directions.

Dhavaer
2007-11-17, 02:33 AM
Yes, but there's also perfectly rational terror in a case where someone just casually and effortlessly butchered your friend and is now looming over you. It's just poor roleplay to say, "Well, NPCs only care about their lives if they fall the opposed Intimidate check."

I mean, maybe if you're trying to intimidate a Spartan (yay, 300 reference!) or a samurai (the real thing, not the CW joke), you'd just get spittle in your eye and a bared blade aimed at you as the reply, but Joe Blow the Average Citizen or LittleScaleyGuy the Random Kobold (no, not Pun-Pun) is probably going to be scared ****less regardless of any Intimidate checks.

Rationally.

With rational terror, though, you could at best expect to get the effects of Intimidate minus the 1d6x10 minutes duration after they leave your presence. Most likely they'd also take whatever actions they could to either get away from you or harm/kill you.

tainsouvra
2007-11-17, 03:41 AM

Rationally. Purely rational fear is only a small part of an intimidate check, though. An intimidate check convinces them to pretend to be friendly for as long as you threaten them and for up to an hour afterward. Rational fear causes someone to act in such a way as to avoid the negative consequences they fear for as long as they rationally believe such consequences can be applied.

It's the irrational component that causes things like the skill with which intimidation is presented to matter, and why intimidation can last after the ability to actually receive harm is long gone.

Apples and oranges.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-17, 05:18 AM
Purely rational fear is only a small part of an intimidate check, though. An intimidate check convinces them to pretend to be friendly for as long as you threaten them and for up to an hour afterward. Rational fear causes someone to act in such a way as to avoid the negative consequences they fear for as long as they rationally believe such consequences can be applied.

It's the irrational component that causes things like the skill with which intimidation is presented to matter, and why intimidation can last after the ability to actually receive harm is long gone.

Apples and oranges.

But my point was that there are times when there's no need to throw dice anymore. When you have two people, one tries to call your bluff, and so you behead the one and then look at the other, it's not an Intimidate check anymore. At this point, the other person either has some kind of ace in the hole, is suicidal or completely unafraid of death for some reason, or is going to comply with you if flight isn't possible. No roll needed. It's done.

In my mind, what makes the Intimidate skill useful is that it doesn't require such extreme measures. You can actually unnerve the pants off of someone in a perfectly normal -- even polite! -- social situation, without a single open threat ever being made, much less physical actions taken or weapons bared. I've seen it done. Some people just have presence like that.

So yes, apples and oranges. But again, my point is that there are times when it's silly to roll for it because it's no longer an Intimidate check, it's simply a question of "does this NPC have any regard for his/her own life or not?"

Kantolin
2007-11-17, 05:49 AM
Personally, the best example of an intimidating person and a not-intimidating person who is threatening involves a bank robber placing a gun to someone's head, telling them to hit the ground and count to 50, then taking off.

If the person isn't very intimidating, he's still likely to be listened to due to holding a gun. Therefore, the victim will drop and start counting audibly until he assumes the guy is gone, then he's going to go scramble away/call the cops/make sure his friends are okay.

The extremely intimidating guy, now, will have the guy sitting there going 'F-f-four-fourty-n-nine-miss-iss-ippi' when the cops show up a bit later on.

vegetalss4
2007-11-17, 06:01 AM
Personally, the best example of an intimidating person and a not-intimidating person who is threatening involves a bank robber placing a gun to someone's head, telling them to hit the ground and count to 50, then taking off.

If the person isn't very intimidating, he's still likely to be listened to due to holding a gun. Therefore, the victim will drop and start counting audibly until he assumes the guy is gone, then he's going to go scramble away/call the cops/make sure his friends are okay.

The extremely intimidating guy, now, will have the guy sitting there going 'F-f-four-fourty-n-nine-miss-iss-ippi' when the cops show up a bit later on.

this is an fantastic example. mind if i sig it?

Kantolin
2007-11-17, 06:12 AM
this is an fantastic example. mind if i sig it?

Heh, sure. Wasn't my idea originally, but I have no idea who thought it up first.

Bluff check not fort save. You're still gonna feel the pain, you've gotta be good at not letting it show.

Interestingly, I'd still make it a fortitude save, strictly because the people I see this making the most sense for are fighter-types over dipomats.

So while it does make more sense as bluff, fort would put it into the hands of people who make the most sense with it (Namely, Fighters/Barbarians/Monks/Paladins/Rangers) and away from Bards and Rogues (Who seem like they'd be less adept with it)

tainsouvra
2007-11-17, 02:21 PM
But my point was that there are times when there's no need to throw dice anymore. When you have two people, one tries to call your bluff, and so you behead the one and then look at the other, it's not an Intimidate check anymore. At this point, the other person either has some kind of ace in the hole, is suicidal or completely unafraid of death for some reason, or is going to comply with you if flight isn't possible. No roll needed. It's done.

In my mind, what makes the Intimidate skill useful is that it doesn't require such extreme measures. You can actually unnerve the pants off of someone in a perfectly normal -- even polite! -- social situation, without a single open threat ever being made, much less physical actions taken or weapons bared. I've seen it done. Some people just have presence like that.

So yes, apples and oranges. But again, my point is that there are times when it's silly to roll for it because it's no longer an Intimidate check, it's simply a question of "does this NPC have any regard for his/her own life or not?" Indeed, I agree in that case. It wouldn't have the effects of Intimidate, notably the persistent effect, but you can certainly threaten someone without Intimidate checks in some situations.

trainer343
2007-11-17, 02:51 PM
Imagine this. Your a guard in a fortess (the kind with HUGE metal doors) minding your own business. You hear a loud bang at the doors, and when you look over you see the doors falling onto two of your fellow guards, pancakeing them. Behind the door you see a bull-man holding an axe grining manically as the rest of his party runs in behind him.

I didn't make a check after that, but I probally would have gotten a bonus on it. I mean, thats gotta be at least a +2, right?

AtomicKitKat
2007-11-17, 04:51 PM
The bank robber example is flawed, personally. It really doesn't matter how "Charming" the guy(Charisma) is, once he's gone, the alarms go off(if they didn't already), and everyone's calling the cops(if they haven't already arrived). Bank robber is an example of demoralise usage of Intimidate. You keep them "Shaken" until you can get away. No. What you're looking for is the guy who calls you up on the phone, uses your first name("How did he know that?"), speaks with a voice slicker than oiled snakeskin, and tells you "If you don't do as I say, you will still see your daughter again. But in tomorrow's obituaries. Over both pages."

Lolzords
2007-11-17, 05:28 PM
I think there should definatly be a bonus for being bigger then your opponent or pointing a weapon at them. I found it a bit silly that a gnome bard (or whatever) can intimidate someone at the same skill (if not better) then a huge half orc barbarian waving a greataxe at someone.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-17, 05:43 PM
I think there should definatly be a bonus for being bigger then your opponent or pointing a weapon at them. I found it a bit silly that a gnome bard (or whatever) can intimidate someone at the same skill (if not better) then a huge half orc barbarian waving a greataxe at someone.

Like, say...

You gain a +4 bonus on your Intimidate check for every size category that you are larger than your target. Conversely, you take a -4 penalty on your Intimidate check for every size category that you are smaller than your target

Khosan
2007-11-17, 06:14 PM
It seems reasonable for the DM to give you a bonus to the roll, if you tailored your intimidate check to your targets (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0101.html).

Zeful
2007-11-18, 01:43 AM
Yeah, D&D's a roleplaying game for a reason, you can't just assume that the same tactic is going to scare everyone. Sometimes the best bet to intimidate someone is to know what to say, not what to kill.

Though slaughtering and field dressing puppies for food would be very creepy.

Magnor Criol
2007-11-18, 02:26 AM
The bank robber example is flawed, personally. It really doesn't matter how "Charming" the guy(Charisma) is, once he's gone, the alarms go off(if they didn't already), and everyone's calling the cops(if they haven't already arrived). Bank robber is an example of demoralise usage of Intimidate. You keep them "Shaken" until you can get away. No. What you're looking for is the guy who calls you up on the phone, uses your first name("How did he know that?"), speaks with a voice slicker than oiled snakeskin, and tells you "If you don't do as I say, you will still see your daughter again. But in tomorrow's obituaries. Over both pages."

I think they both qualify as very good examples of Intimidate, and thus as a good example of part of what I see as problematic with the skill. There's a number of different forms of intimidation, and someone who's good at one form may be incredibly lousy in another, or they're only good at a given form in a given situation (circumstance bonuses - what this thread's all about, in theory), and so on.

This being said, I don't really know of any other way of doing it, other than breaking it down into different skills, which doesn't solve anything and only makes the skill list more uselessly disparate.

For similar reasons, I also have problems with the use of Charisma as a modifier for the class; it seems like a person with a high amount of ability in whatever area should probably be able to use that skill to their advantage. So a very smooth talker (high Cha) could intimidate through some verbal mindgames, while a really strong brute (high Str) would use his muscle, not words, to intimidate. A very erudite scholar (high Int) would talk circles around an opponent, and use their intelligence to know what to say to affect them most. And so on.

I know that there's a feat or two out there that allows substitution of Str bonus for Cha bonus on intimidate, or similar, but the fact you have to spend a feat on that irritates me.

Kantolin
2007-11-18, 03:00 AM
It really doesn't matter how "Charming" the guy(Charisma) is, once he's gone, the alarms go off(if they didn't already), and everyone's calling the cops(if they haven't already arrived).

I dunno. The vast majority of people, when actually and truly afraid of someone, would be very likely to sit there and continue counting to 50.

Once you're rationally thinking, you're not that level of afraid any longer. But in most panic situations, the last thing on people's minds is 'Let me logically go and do the most effective solution to this problem'.

And while 'everyone' is calling the cops, the intimidated person certainly is not included in 'everyone'.

...At least, realistically, that's how most people act.

Danin
2007-11-18, 04:19 AM
Or, conversly, you tie him up in the inn your staying in, place a zone of silence or similar spell around the room and attempt to intimidate him. If he won't cooperate, you cut off a finger. Still won't cooperate? You go out, make some gather information checks to find his sister or significant other. You use an absurd bluff check to get her to the inn or smash her over the head and drag her back. You then calmly explain to the would be too-loyal-for-his-own-good-moron that if he does not give you the information that you will kill her, slowly and painfully, so that he will hear her scream. You tell him that every moment of agony you put her through will be filled with you whispering into her ear that it was his fault. That he could have saved her but didn't. That she will die cursing his name. He thinks you're bluffing? Prove him wrong! After all, theres plenty of friends and kin around.

Thats gotta be worth a +2 bonus.

tainsouvra
2007-11-18, 01:11 PM
For similar reasons, I also have problems with the use of Charisma as a modifier for the class; it seems like a person with a high amount of ability in whatever area should probably be able to use that skill to their advantage. So a very smooth talker (high Cha) could intimidate through some verbal mindgames, while a really strong brute (high Str) would use his muscle, not words, to intimidate. A very erudite scholar (high Int) would talk circles around an opponent, and use their intelligence to know what to say to affect them most. And so on.

I know that there's a feat or two out there that allows substitution of Str bonus for Cha bonus on intimidate, or similar, but the fact you have to spend a feat on that irritates me. I adamantly disagree with you on this one. Charisma isn't merely how smooth you are, it's your force of presence. Intimidation is very reliant on how powerful your presence is, to the point that it's nearly impossible without it.

I've met people who were brilliant, but never taken all that seriously. I've met people who were bodybuilders, but never taken all that seriously. I've also met someone no bigger or smarter than I am who gets taken very seriously...intimidation is definitely charisma in real life, and I agree with it being the correct stat for D&D.

Knowing the right words to say doesn't make them come out in a way that'll terrify someone for the next hour. Being able to bench-press a Buick won't make someone take you seriously once you've turned your back. Having the force of presence to just look at someone and feel them wither under your gaze, however, definitely does it.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-18, 01:31 PM
I adamantly disagree with you on this one. Charisma isn't merely how smooth you are, it's your force of presence. Intimidation is very reliant on how powerful your presence is, to the point that it's nearly impossible without it.

I've met people who were brilliant, but never taken all that seriously. I've met people who were bodybuilders, but never taken all that seriously. I've also met someone no bigger or smarter than I am who gets taken very seriously...intimidation is definitely charisma in real life, and I agree with it being the correct stat for D&D.

Knowing the right words to say doesn't make them come out in a way that'll terrify someone for the next hour. Being able to bench-press a Buick won't make someone take you seriously once you've turned your back. Having the force of presence to just look at someone and feel them wither under your gaze, however, definitely does it.

QFT.

You almost have to meet one of these kinds of people to really "get" that. They're kind of a rarity. Too, I'll admit freely that different types of Charisma (the type that intimidates, the type that's a smooth talker, etc.) can be different, but ... well, that's like how reflexes, manual dexterity, and agility are all different, or how willpower, common sense, and eyesight and hearing are all different. The Charisma stat encompasses a variety of different "force of personality" traits all at once, but you can still customize its effectiveness by virtue of the skills you take. Focus your efforts strictly on the Intimidate skill (with perhaps 5 ranks into Bluff for the bonus to Intimidate), and there you go: you're Christopher Walken. :smallwink:

(Who, by the way, is famous for his intimidating demeanor ... despite not being all that impressive in terms of physique.)

enderrocksonall
2007-11-18, 01:52 PM
Probably one of the best bonus getting actions I could think of:

You have 2 prisoners.

Don't say a word to them.

You melt the ground underneath one of them with something akin to stone to mud, leaving just their head above ground level.

Then transform the mud to sand. Then fireball the sand into glass. This by itself would be an insanely painful process for the guy stuck in the ground. Then, you get an orange and squeeze the juice out onto the guys head, and leave a trail back to an anthill.

Wait ten minutes.

When the screams really start going, you turn to your second prisoner and ask them very politely for the information you want.

I'd give that about a +10 circumstance bonus.

I think that people who say that stuff like this would be part of your ranks in itimidate are a bit mistaken. Using the intimidate skill is not something that requires any kind of physical action. It has to do with stance, tone, diction, and describing things graphically.

When you put ranks in intimidate, you are learning how to properly describe the events that are going to take place, should you become agitated.

Those who are not eloquent enough (i.e. all those that didn't put ranks in intimidate) have need of a visual demonstration in order to equal the vocal prowess of the normal intimidater.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-18, 01:59 PM
When you put ranks in intimidate, you are learning how to properly describe the events that are going to take place, should you become agitated.

It's not just that. Often, it's not words at all.

Sometimes, all you need is body language, posture, eye contact, and that ... "something." No words needed, or perhaps just one or two.

In fact, sometimes, few or no words are more intimidating. More ... final.

tainsouvra
2007-11-18, 02:37 PM
I think that people who say that stuff like this would be part of your ranks in itimidate are a bit mistaken. Using the intimidate skill is not something that requires any kind of physical action. It has to do with stance, tone, diction, and describing things graphically. Things like the situation you described aren't part of skill ranks, but knowing what to say and how to stand (as were previously given as examples of potential circumstance bonuses) are certainly a function of skill ranks. Saying things right, standing the right way, slamming your fist on the table at the right time--those aren't circumstances, that's basic skill with the task.

Kompera
2007-11-19, 03:37 AM
Lets write some circumstance bonus to intimidate. Feel free to argue and discuss.

Breaking an item to your head. Apparent hardness/5I don't know that any such display is either necessary or would give a bonus. Intimidate is described as being a kind of alternative to Diplomacy, based on fear, and with the limitation of only being able to alter the attitude to friendly (Possible actions: "Chat, advise, offer limited help, advocate").

I see Intimidate as more of the kind of thing you'd see in a mobster movie, where the Intimidator is a mob punk sent to collect extortion money from a shop keeper. No breaking of bottles is necessary, the shop keeper knows the consequences of a refusal to pay: a beating and/or some vandalism to his shop.

Or in a cop show, such as CSI, where bad guys are convinced to help the investigation because the cops describe a variety of unhappy situations (jail, other criminals being told of cooperation, etc) which make a little discussion seem like the best option.

Or the cop who needs information from the bartender who doesn't want to drop dime on one of his regulars. But the steely stare of the cop convinces the bartender that the best thing to do is to tell the cop what he wants so that he'll leave.

Most of these interactions are done on a "meeting of equals" basis, two people meeting in a public place. In some of these situations a demonstration of aggression may assist, but in most it should neither be necessary or helpful. The cop who roughs up the bartender is likely to have the bartender calling for help from other cops (state rather than city, perhaps), rather than providing information.

In a situation where it is not a "meeting of equals", such as if the PCs have the NPC completely under their power, for example having killed the NPCs friends and are now questioning him as a survivor, then very large modifiers should apply.