PDA

View Full Version : Old School [2e] Ranger as Beorn, not Aragorn

LibraryOgre
2021-09-18, 04:59 PM
Ok, a little more concrete on the second option. I'm going to use my C&P D&D (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BJOYlk7muLvDsabcTlnP3SCqBt3pEETzPd0ccSOlndM/edit?usp=sharing) to describe it, but here we go:

Access to Spheres (10): Lesser access to Animal, Plant, and Travelers
Additional Attacks (30) Like a fighter
Defense Bonus (15) Increasing AC with level
Empathy with Animals (10)
Improved Combat (10) Fighter ThAC0
Improved HD (10) d10 HD
Magic Item Use (5): Warrior
Maximum Spell Level (40) No more than 4th level spells
Minor Spell Point Pool (20) Spell points roughly equivalent to a Bard
Overcome Resistance (15): Can hit creatures requiring magical weapons.
Proficiency Group Crossovers (10): Warrior and Priest
Shapechange (20): Going to move this forward to 1st level, but discount it a bit because it only allows a single shape; usually a bear, but other natural animals with DM permission. As a druid, though, 3 times a day and back.
Warrior Ability Bonuses (20): Exceptional Strength and Exceptional Con bonus
Woodswise (10)

Total: 225.

Now, restrictions:
Alignment Restrictions (10): Must be partially neutral
Behavior/Taboo (2): Strict vegetarian; may eat animal products, but no meat. Also: No animal parts in equipment; no bone, no sinew, no leather
Limited Armor (15): No armor at all. Can use a shield.
Reduced Spell Power (10): Caster level penalized
Slower casting time (5): Spells are cast at 3 slower

Total is 183.

So, this character can use any weapon, but no armor except shields. They do fine in no armor, and can shapechange 3 times per day into a given creature, and hit things that need magical weapons without weapons. As they level up, their AC will improve, and I would carry that to their animal form, as well. They have some spellcasting, but pretty limited in options (though, to be fair, they have some really good spells in those few), and not a lot of spell points... especially since, with Lesser Access to their spheres, spells cost about 50% more than they do for those with Greater Access; without at least 2 15s, they won't be able to cast at 1st level. They are slightly cheaper than the paladin (190), actually a bit more expensive than the mage (172; those weapon and armor restrictions, combined with lower HD and ThAC0 really add up).

Thane of Fife
2021-09-19, 04:23 PM
I feel like this class would have a hard time surviving at low levels. AC 7 or so (black bear before any potential dexterity bonus) doesn't seem good enough for a 1st level melee character (consider that a fighter or cleric is probably AC 3 or 4). Damage would be good at low levels, but I feel like it might drop off at higher levels. Probably depends on what your strength is. You might also suffer at higher levels in not being able to use a lot of magic items (at least, not in bear form).

LibraryOgre
2021-09-21, 01:20 PM
I feel like this class would have a hard time surviving at low levels. AC 7 or so (black bear before any potential dexterity bonus) doesn't seem good enough for a 1st level melee character (consider that a fighter or cleric is probably AC 3 or 4). Damage would be good at low levels, but I feel like it might drop off at higher levels. Probably depends on what your strength is. You might also suffer at higher levels in not being able to use a lot of magic items (at least, not in bear form).

Those are definitely issues.

A low-level Beorn is probably best served by using ranged attacks and surprise (aided by the Woodswise ability), but they are definitely going to run into issues.