PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Eternal Wands & Divine Spells

Thurbane
2021-09-18, 11:06 PM
So, just a bit of a general question for feedback and advice.

I love Eternal Wands. The mechanic of letting any arcane caster be able to use them with no UMD, even if the spell isn't on their list, really appeals to me.

A group I was DMing for lacked easy access to the Restoration spell. Now, this spell appears as 3rd level on the Healer list (Eternal Wands only go up to 3rd). Any reason a Healer with the Southern Magician feat couldn't create an Eternal Wand of Restoration? Or a Wizard/Wyrm Wizard that has selected the Restoration spell from the Healer list?

I mean, it requires a lot of DM cooperation for this to happen, but in this case I was the DM.

Any general thoughts? Would this work the way I think it would? Am I missing anything obvious? Also, any weird and wonderful spells that you would want in an Eternal Wand, divine or otherwise?

Cheers - T

I know as DM I could just house-rule a divine equivalent to eternal Wands, but I always look at RAW options first. Just a personal preference.

aglondier
2021-09-18, 11:11 PM
You could just give them a wondrous item that gives them restoration 1/day. Cheap, easy, not-spammable...

the_tick_rules
2021-09-19, 12:43 AM
Wands do feel a bit too arcane for divine magic. what would be thematically better?

RSGA
2021-09-19, 12:48 AM
If the aesthetic leans European enough, a globus crucager but with the crucager bit being more related to whatever deity the crafter was ordained of. Or a symbol of the domain or school of the spell could also work.

Kitsuneymg
2021-09-19, 01:22 AM
IIrc an eternal wand is just a command word activated 2/day item with a weird 100gp material component. Make a prayer box or shrine or something that does 2 uses/day at CL x Spell Level * 720 (that’s 1800*2/5) + 100 for the gold and stuff in the shrine.

Thurbane
2021-09-19, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, but I feel like literally everyone is missing this bit, or maybe reading it in the opposite way of what I intended:

I know as DM I could just house-rule a divine equivalent to eternal Wands, but I always look at RAW options first. Just a personal preference.

Zanos
2021-09-19, 01:45 AM
Southern Magician only allows you to cast the spells as divine spells, so I am not sure that it counts. If you want something clearer I believe dragons(and wyrm wizards) can learn most divine spells as sorcerer spells, which might be a bit more palatable.

aglondier
2021-09-19, 02:04 AM
RAW item creation rules.

command word activated item that casts a spell a couple of times a day,

1800 x spell level x caster level x 2 (uses per day) ÷ 5.

Make the item a holy symbol, or a censer, or a prayer book, or a portable shrine, or a cassock, or whatever feels most thematic.
Make it only usable by someone who possesses the Heal skill for a small discount if you want to.
Make the "command word" be a short prayer to the diety who originally empowered the item, and you're done.

It is basically identical to the Eternal Wand, but shaped more thematically, anyone can use it without UMD, and you don't need to pretzel the rules to accommodate it.

Crake
2021-09-19, 03:39 AM
RAW item creation rules guidelines.

Fixed that for you.

Southern Magician only allows you to cast the spells as divine spells, so I am not sure that it counts. If you want something clearer I believe dragons(and wyrm wizards) can learn most divine spells as sorcerer spells, which might be a bit more palatable.

If it appears on any domain list, arcane casters can also learn it pretty easily with the arcane disciple feat, or the various domain wizard/sorcerer options.

Thurbane
2021-09-19, 04:48 PM
If it appears on any domain list, arcane casters can also learn it pretty easily with the arcane disciple feat, or the various domain wizard/sorcerer options.

I did look into Restoration being on a domain list for Arcane Disciple reasons: only one I've found is the rather aptly named Restoration domain from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. Issue there is it's not actually offered by any deities, so I don't think you can get it with AD (from memory, requires you to worship the god that offers the domain you select). Domain Sorcerer has a similar restriction, I believe.

At least we know Wyrm Wizard should work. Not so sure about a Dragon, since they usually access spells "as a Cleric" in addition to their traditional arcane spells, which means Restoration would be 4th for them, and ineligible for an Eternal Wand.

Anyway, on to the other general point I raised: what other odd or obscure spells could you make use of in an Eternal Wand? Any thoughts?

Maat Mons
2021-09-19, 06:52 PM
It's not as versatile as an Eternal Wand of Restoration, but an Orb of Mental Renewal and a Rod of Bodily Restoration could handle ability damage.

Knock as a 1st-level spell off the Trapsmith spell list would be a good Eternal Wand. Identify as a 1st-level spell off the Cloistered Cleric spell list too. And Improved Invisibility as a 2nd-level spell off the Telflammar Shadowlord spell list. Stoneskin as a 2nd-level spell off the Trapsmith spell list. Wall of Stone as a 3rd-level spell off the Trapsmith spell list. Probably others I'm not thinking of too.

Saintheart
2021-09-19, 07:03 PM
There's also the Domain Staffs from C.Champion, basically the equivalent of the arcane runestaff...

bekeleven
2021-09-19, 10:23 PM
Hmm. Restoration appears on some arcane lists, but only at 4. I think Wyrm Wizard is the best RAW option here.