PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on level 8 Kitsune Sorcerer enchanter

Nosta
2021-09-19, 12:29 PM
Name: Xiao
Race: Kitsune
Class: Fey Bloodline Sorcerer

20 point Buy level 8 Both stat bump in to CHA.
STR:8 DEX:16 CON:12
INT:13 WIS:10 CHA: 20

Feat
1ST Agile (Racial Feat)
1ST Spell Focus: enchantment
3RD Dodge
5TH Spell Penetration
(Bonus) Improved Initiative
7TH Greater Spell Focus Enchant...

Spells known

(Not Sure if I got the DC for the valuated right)

Sorcerer Cantrips Known
1 acid splash,
2 daze,
3 detect magic
4 ghost sound,
5 mage hand
6 prestidigitation
7 spark

4th level spells
Confusion CL:8 DC 26

3rd level spells
Deep Slumber CL:8 DC 25
Fireball CL:8 DC 18

2nd level spells
Create Pit: CL:8 DC 17
Hideous Laughter CL:8 DC 24
Invisibility CL:8

1st level spells
Charm Person CL:8 DC 21
Bungle CL:8 DC 23
Burning hands CL:8 DC 16
Magic missile CL:8
Unprepared Combatant CL:8 DC 23

Akal Saris
2021-09-19, 11:48 PM
Have you considered taking the 'nine tailed heir' variant sorcerer? The spell-like abilities from it might be better than the Fey bloodline spells (which seem like a mixed bag overall), especially if you can also take the 'Nine-Tailed Inheritor' racial trait (it is 3rd party, listed on the d20PFSRD).

Dodge also seems like a waste of a feat unless you have a plan for it. Maybe take Bouncing Spell/Persistent Spell to ensure that your spells succeed?

Kurald Galain
2021-09-20, 02:38 AM
If you want, you can go int 12 and str 7 and spend the extra points on con.

Dodge is a pretty bad feat, and you probably don't need spell penetration until higher level. So yeah, consider some metamagic feats.

The DC should be 10 +5 (charisma) +3 (if enchantment) +2 (if compulsion) +spell level. So Confusion gets DC 24 by my count.

I strongly recommend to buy some Pages of Spell Knowledge, they're an easy way to get more utility magic, like oh say Feather Fall and Mage Armor. I also strongly recommend to have a backup plan when you're up against anything you can't enchant; you already have Create Pit but also consider spells like Slow. Fireball and Burning Hands really aren't good picks, unless you build for them (e.g. with draconic bloodline). Finally, note that Deep Slumber is impractical because of its HD limit.

HTH!

Psyren
2021-09-20, 09:56 AM
I second the metamagic recommendation. For an enchanter especially, there's a lot of monster types that can hose your main schtick - undead, vermin, oozes, plants etc. Depending on what you expect to be up against, grabbing one or a few of the relevant counter-feats like Threnodic Spell, Coaxing Spell, and Verdant Spell will be ideal. If you decide one of these will be helpful, plan to grab it as your level 7 feat. (Rods of these are even better if you think they'll be available, however.)

I would drop Dodge and move Greater Spell Focus earlier - it's even more impactful at low levels when people's good and bad saves are closer together so there's no reason to wait. I also second the suggestion of moving spell penetration up to when you're more likely to need it, say level 9+ or so. (There are times to take it earlier, like if you expect to be up against a lot of drow).