PDA

View Full Version : Celia's Lesson

brian 333
2021-09-19, 11:26 PM
Way back in the Thieves' Guild arc Celia ended the combat not a moment too soon.

Haley was furious, but a solution that didn't involve murdering everyone was forged.

Like Celia, Serini was lecturing the paladins that they never even thought of an alternative to murdering everyone.

Is this not the second-kongest callback in the comic?

Hurkyl
2021-09-19, 11:49 PM
Way back in the Thieves' Guild arc Celia ended the combat not a moment too soon.

Haley was furious, but a solution that didn't involve murdering everyone was forged.

Like Celia, Serini was lecturing the paladins that they never even thought of an alternative to murdering everyone.

Is this not the second-kongest callback in the comic?
It's a whole-comic theme, AFAIK.

For example, I haven't read it myself, but I understand in the Origin of PCs, Roy split with his previous party when they wanted to just just kill the monsters without thinking about it and lacked patience with Roy when he came up with an alternate resolution. And I think Durkon had a similar circumstance?

Fyraltari
2021-09-20, 07:59 AM
It's a whole-comic theme, AFAIK.

For example, I haven't read it myself, but I understand in the Origin of PCs, Roy split with his previous party when they wanted to just just kill the monsters without thinking about it and lacked patience with Roy when he came up with an alternate resolution. And I think Durkon had a similar circumstance?

Well that and the part where they repeatedly sent Durkon on suicide missions because they found him annoying.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-20, 08:55 AM
Is this not the second-kongest callback in the comic? I don't think so.

Deeper call backs:
Hilgya, Sunny (if this beholder is the same as strip 0033), and Durkon's learning from Odin that his banishment was for a reason. (Miko got the letter in the early 300's or late 200s (but it never reached Durkon) and Durkon got the reveal from Odin or Thor in the afterlife sequence). And the Order got the reveal shortly after they got in the back gate of Firmament.

Precure
2021-09-20, 11:08 AM
This is not a callback.

Metastachydium
2021-09-20, 11:18 AM
This is not a callback.

Seconded. The paladins never intended to kill everyone, and at the time, they thought the world shall be destroyed (killing everyone) if Xykon seizes a Gate (while destroying Soon's can delay that).
Serini's big lecture, then, basically boils down to "be omniscient" (which is funny given how much she doesn't know).

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-20, 02:16 PM
This is not a callback.
That too, not sure why I forgot to mention that. +1 for hitting the nail on the head.

brian 333
2021-09-20, 10:23 PM
This is not a callback.

Dang.

I do agree that 'killing everyone is not always the only or best option,' is a theme repeated throughout the work.