PDA

View Full Version : Super Hero Build!

kbob
2021-09-22, 11:14 PM
So I’m looking at making a new character but as a super hero!... Captain Amazing Man!!! He is an alien from Alpha Blarkavia Prime and speaks fluent Blarkavian. Crash landed on Faerun as a boy. Grew up on a farm in Cormyr and loves his adopted parents. The air (not sun cuz I’m original -.- ) gives him his powers! However meteors from an astral belt NEAR his home planet (not FROM his home planet cuz I’m original), which are called Blarkanite crystals, make him weak. So he left home so as to no longer keep his powers to himself and help others in need and to fight for truth, JUSTICE (his single word battle cry), and the Cormyrian way! Oh and his secret identity is a mild manner, traveling scribe for local literacy groups (... original).
Anyway, He won’t be my main character but will be just someone I use when the group doesn’t feel like being too serious that day. He will start prob somewhere 8-10 but I want to (at least theory craft) take him to 20. I can only use forgotten realms (FR) compatible books: Core, XGtE, TCoE, SCAG and anything available in FR specific modules. So I’m lookin for insight.
Thematic is most important. So far this is what I came up with:
1. Race: tiefling variant, wings; Re-skin this (DM approval pending, though I don’t see him saying no) to look human. No visible wings but mechanically nothing would change. Need to move to fly (web Spell would suck), need room for “air” or “super power” to lift me, just as if I had wings.
2. Has to go at least 2 levels Warlock (not sure on subclass yet). Eldritch blasts would be eye beams (with his hands on his hips and chest puffed out) and would certainly pick up AB. I think there is an invocation that can eventually let you see through walls (x-ray vision) but I’m not sure if I want to go warlock that high.
3. Definitely want some sort of Smite of JUSTICE! Could just stay Warl and take ES. However, Paladin (prob vengeance) has some extra stuff that I think would go with theme. Aura of protection and courage just seems to fit the theme.
4. ??? From here I’m not sure where to go. I’m not sure if I want to take some monk and get some speedy punching stuff, fighter with extra attacks and feats, or barbarian for the toughness. The latter seems very appropriate but if I do have any spells (EB included) it could compete with rage.

Any thoughts??

chiefwaha
2021-09-23, 08:38 AM
Alternate idea for class, Sun Soul Monk. Base monks can do lots of superheroey things, like deflect bullets and superhero landings... and you flavor the sun bolts as eye blasts.

Joe the Rat
2021-09-23, 09:58 AM
Tiefling Variant has a lot of physical characteristic options - human skin tones are part of the gig.

Folk Hero or proper Charlatan for your secret ID?

From here...
If you want the Kryptonian power suite: physical feats, then eye powers. Barbarian is probably the fastest way to physical superheroing and no-shirt durability. This does mean layering Warlock or Sorcerer in (Firebolt is a much better stand in for heat vision than eblast, and gust of wind for super breath), and splitting mode between Using Powers and Dusting it Up.

The Sun Soul is a clever take - shirtless AC, superspeed, eyebeams good in mix, post-Byrne solar theming, and more caster-friendly.

If you want to go Obviously Superman, Paladin, all day. You may be limited on armor to stay in the air, but this is the best all-rounder for being the get in front, protect your team, beat down hard for justice approach. Bonus, it plays well with your caster wants.

Abracadangit
2021-09-23, 10:55 AM
If you haven't settled on Oath of Vengeance yet, there's the Oath of Glory in Tasha that has a bunch of useful things for would-be superheroes:

--Channel Divinity to gain advantage on Athletics and Acrobatics checks, as well as double your push/pull/lift capacity and boost your jumps (super-strength + super-agility)
--Level 6 movement speed boost (lickety-speed - not sure how you fluff the aura effect)
--Solid mix of oath spells for superhero deeds (Heroism, Enhance Ability, Haste)

And if you take the Paladin fighting style that gives you cleric cantrips, you can take Sacred Flame as your eyebeams instead! Pelt badguys with homing beams of righteous fury (no defensive bonus for using cover).

By all means, Vengeance would be good too - but Glory feels like it has more of that classical, old-timey superhero feel, with feats of strength and derring-do.

strangebloke
2021-09-23, 11:21 AM
Alternate idea for class, Sun Soul Monk. Base monks can do lots of superheroey things, like deflect bullets and superhero landings... and you flavor the sun bolts as eye blasts.

I will second this.

Aarakocra Sun Soul Monk. Start with a spread like 10/17/14/8/16/8. Grab skill expert:athletics at 4th level so that you can still be super strong

You're already reflavoring the wings (or not, hawkgirl is a superhero after all)
You can run super fast and jump entire buildings in a single bound, a goldenage superman classic
you fight primarily by punching
you can land without taking damage (superhero landings)
you can 'punch' at range with sun fists (lazer eyes!!!! It even deals radiant damage!)
you draw on some kind of mystical inner energy (ki) that can easily be refluffed as "the natural energy of the air"
you can catch bullets
Over time you will become immune to poison, almost impossible to mind control, and a whole bunch of other goodies. (speaking every language and not needing to breathe, very superman-esque things, wouldn't you say?)
For a "smite" effect you have Stunning Strike. What's more fitting for this sort of ability than a single blow that can drop a man to their knees?

Christew
2021-09-23, 11:48 AM
If you haven't settled on Oath of Vengeance yet, there's the Oath of Glory in Tasha that has a bunch of useful things for would-be superheroes:

--Channel Divinity to gain advantage on Athletics and Acrobatics checks, as well as double your push/pull/lift capacity and boost your jumps (super-strength + super-agility)
--Level 6 movement speed boost (lickety-speed - not sure how you fluff the aura effect)
--Solid mix of oath spells for superhero deeds (Heroism, Enhance Ability, Haste)

And if you take the Paladin fighting style that gives you cleric cantrips, you can take Sacred Flame as your eyebeams instead! Pelt badguys with homing beams of righteous fury (no defensive bonus for using cover).

By all means, Vengeance would be good too - but Glory feels like it has more of that classical, old-timey superhero feel, with feats of strength and derring-do.
Oath of Glory seconded. That was my first thought on reading the thread title.

Rhocian Xothara
2021-09-23, 12:33 PM
Oath of Glory (used to be called Oath of Heroism, so it's perfect) Paladin. I know others have said it, but it was literally made for this kind of character.

Give him the Unarmed Fighting Style for that sweet D8 damage dice. If your DM is cool with it, they might let you apply Smites to Unarmed Strikes.

If so: Ta-da! You basically have All Might from MHA.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-09-23, 03:14 PM
1. Race: tiefling variant, wings; Re-skin this (DM approval pending, though I don’t see him saying no) to look human. No visible wings but mechanically nothing would change. Need to move to fly (web Spell would suck), need room for “air” or “super power” to lift me, just as if I had wings.
I would absolutely not allow this. Winged races are already game-changingly powerful, and your proposed "thematic change" would ditch almost all of the limits that are left. (ie, "can't fly away if we hogtie your wings" and "holy crap you look like a demon/weird bird dude, get away from me!") You're left with an incredibly significant ability that no-one in the game world can really react to.

Slipjig
2021-09-23, 03:25 PM
A lot of the game-breaking effects only kick in if the whole party can fly. Even if the flyer can ferry everybody else past an obstacle (and I'd rule that your average avariel/birdman will struggle to fly while carrying anyone, let alone a half-orc in heavy armor), that leaves the party vulnerable for a not-insignificant period of time while they are split on either side of the obstacle.

strangebloke
2021-09-23, 04:42 PM
I would absolutely not allow this. Winged races are already game-changingly powerful, and your proposed "thematic change" would ditch almost all of the limits that are left. (ie, "can't fly away if we hogtie your wings" and "holy crap you look like a demon/weird bird dude, get away from me!") You're left with an incredibly significant ability that no-one in the game world can really react to.

Seems like Protector Aasimar is more thematic choice

Unoriginal
2021-09-23, 08:34 PM
Seems like Protector Aasimar is more thematic choice

Came here to suggest this.

Greywander
2021-09-23, 10:59 PM
This is something I've looked into before (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?629044-Super-hero-build-(Maybe-a-Redemption-Paladin-)) as well. Generally, sorcerers are pretty good at hitting the variety of powers seen across a large swathe of superheroes, so they're decent for things like the X-Men and other super hero teams with varied powers. Warlocks are also known as the magical girl class, so it's no surprise they also work well for certain super hero concepts.

But for something more akin to Superman specifically, I was also drawn to the paladin as a better thematic fit. My thought was that the Redemption paladin worked best due to being able to take damage in the place of another and being able to regen HP. You're basically built to be a human shield for the innocent. And then the capstone. Redemption has the only always-on capstone, and it's pretty sick. It might seem like the capstone is pushing you not to attack, to play more of a support role, but it actually still works very well so long as you only engage enemies one at a time. The enemy you're currently focused on will do full damage, but all other enemies do half damage to you, and all of them still take the reflected damage, so that's still a huge benefit.

Sadly, the paladin lacks some of the specific features I'd want on a Superman type of concept. If you can't get flight, then you'd at least want to get superhuman jumping abilities. And while you don't need super speed, you would want to be faster than a normal person. You'd also definitely need some form of super strength, likely in the form of grappling bonuses and/or increased carry weight. Some of these can be derived from your race, in which case I recommend taking a look at my Simple Custom Race (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?629700-Simple-custom-races) (which really works best when choosing traits to fit a specific concept) and see if your DM will okay it.

kbob
2021-09-23, 11:20 PM

I alluded to the fact that “hogtied” (“web” and the super power around me) would prevent me from flying. My goal is not to change the mechanics. As far looking weird, he is in leotards.
However, apart from all that, this is missing the point of my post. I was looking for help with ideas, which everyone else has helped with. The post is not on whether anyone would allow such things in their game or whether it is “game breaking” or not.

That said, I have been enjoying the suggestions!! They are all good and I see the logic in all of them. I think my order of preference for super abilities is more in line with generic super heroes (Superman). Flight and eye beams are must haves, then strength, then toughness, and speed if possible. I am certainly going to go Oath of Glory Paladin. I love the abilities Glory gets for this theme and Smite is just a very super Hero ability.
I really like the monk schtick but I’m still thinking adding warlock with maybe a one or two level dip fighter for unarmed fighting, fighting style (punch things is preferred) and maybe action surge. I know monk does it better in the long run but I’m not sure I want to take that many levels.
I will probably take the tavern brawler feat. That with glory Paladin, I can hurl carriages (as opposed to cars) at villains. I could go one level barbarian for toughness and Unarmored defense. If I take the second level of fighter it will give me a short burst of speed via action surge (or at least that’s how it will he explained away).
I thought about protector aasimar before but decided on winged tiefling. However, I am giving it a second thought now.

Christew
2021-09-24, 12:57 AM
I alluded to the fact that “hogtied” (“web” and the super power around me) would prevent me from flying. My goal is not to change the mechanics. As far looking weird, he is in leotards.
However, apart from all that, this is missing the point of my post. I was looking for help with ideas, which everyone else has helped with. The post is not on whether anyone would allow such things in their game or whether it is “game breaking” or not.

That said, I have been enjoying the suggestions!! They are all good and I see the logic in all of them. I think my order of preference for super abilities is more in line with generic super heroes (Superman). Flight and eye beams are must haves, then strength, then toughness, and speed if possible. I am certainly going to go Oath of Glory Paladin. I love the abilities Glory gets for this theme and Smite is just a very super Hero ability.
I really like the monk schtick but I’m still thinking adding warlock with maybe a one or two level dip fighter for unarmed fighting, fighting style (punch things is preferred) and maybe action surge. I know monk does it better in the long run but I’m not sure I want to take that many levels.
I will probably take the tavern brawler feat. That with glory Paladin, I can hurl carriages (as opposed to cars) at villains. I could go one level barbarian for toughness and Unarmored defense. If I take the second level of fighter it will give me a short burst of speed via action surge (or at least that’s how it will he explained away).
I thought about protector aasimar before but decided on winged tiefling. However, I am giving it a second thought now.
Sounds like a recipe for great fun!

Since it sounds like you have a DM open to tweaks, you may want to ask about modifying the third bullet of tavern brawler (it is redundant with unarmed fighting style). When I was playing a goblin rune knight with unarmed/brawler, my DM changed it to improvised weapons deal 1d6.