PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spore druid!!!!!!

Grorl
2021-09-23, 12:27 PM
Huzzah!

Hello folks in the playground! I come in need of your input/assistance. I am currently in a 3-man party (Vuman Chorno Wizard, Grung dex Barb, Tortle Spore druid - No dark vision group, Yeah! Lol), we're doing lost mines of phendelver; with plans on advancing after lv 5 once the module is finished. Now, I know going straight to 5 with any class is probably the most optimal, especially since this module goes only to 5. But, I wish to take a dip into a class, was thinking once we hit character level 3.

Currently:
Tortle Spore druid: Lv 2

Str 16
Dex 13
Con 15
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 8

I know the spore druid is best geared toward single class, due to the Temp HP increase off the druid level, but I don't plan on going melee; staying as a mid-liner. I was contemplating Ranger 3 for swarmkeeper, so at character level 5 I'm 2/3 and can utilize the thorn whip and swarm forced movement(spiked growth combo just seems like fun! @ 6). But, I feel those temp HP of 8 will diminish quickly by level 5 in that module. Also, delaying Wis 18 seems like a bad choice. So, my only other option was to take 1 or 2 dip in cleric (Leaning toward a 1 level dip). While druid is quite good single class, I want to net some dope spells from cleric early, rather than later, when XP isn't so high for the next level up.

Any and all suggestions/advice is appreciated, thank you for your time!

strangebloke
2021-09-23, 12:48 PM
Well, you're not wrong that its basically not a good idea to multiclass. I don't know what more you expect us to say!:smallbiggrin:

You'll get the thorn whip/spiked growth combo online earlier if you stick to druid, you'll get more THP, and though you won't get a chance to push the enemy back away from you with swarmkeeper, imo that's something best saved for later. Most enemies at this level won't warrant such a high-damage combo, and you wouldn't get it online until level 5 anyway, at which point the campaign is pretty much over.

The cleric levels really don't get you anything at this level considering you're a tortle, its a bad idea.

Grorl
2021-09-23, 01:00 PM
Well, you're not wrong that its basically not a good idea to multiclass. I don't know what more you expect us to say!:smallbiggrin:

You'll get the thorn whip/spiked growth combo online earlier if you stick to druid, you'll get more THP, and though you won't get a chance to push the enemy back away from you with swarmkeeper, imo that's something best saved for later. Most enemies at this level won't warrant such a high-damage combo, and you wouldn't get it online until level 5 anyway, at which point the campaign is pretty much over.

The cleric levels really don't get you anything at this level considering you're a tortle, its a bad idea.

Hehe, I guess in a way, I was also wanting to see if my suspicions on this low of a level were correct. Simply staying druid until 5 and then decide to multiclass out that way. Which, if so, I am strongly considering the ranger swarmkeeper. Indeed, the spike growth combo would be online a lot quicker and be of much more use earlier rather than later. Either way, thank you for your input. I still enjoy other points of view. :smallbiggrin:

Grod_The_Giant
2021-09-23, 02:55 PM
A Cleric dip isn't the worst idea--there are plenty of excellent domain bonuses at level 1--but I wouldn't bother with Ranger unless you're planning a primarily melee build. The extra 2d4 damage on perfectly-positioned Spike Growth follow-ups will be way less useful than the higher level spells extra Druid levels will get you.

Grorl
2021-09-23, 04:23 PM
A Cleric dip isn't the worst idea--there are plenty of excellent domain bonuses at level 1--but I wouldn't bother with Ranger unless you're planning a primarily melee build. The extra 2d4 damage on perfectly-positioned Spike Growth follow-ups will be way less useful than the higher level spells extra Druid levels will get you.

Indeed! There are quite a few great domains for a 1 level dip. I'm just unsure on which would get a better yield, if I go into that direction instead of mono-classing until 5.
Any recommendations for a domain?

PattThe
2021-09-23, 11:27 PM
Do a one level dip into grave cleric for more cantrips including bonus action 30 foot spare the dying and unlocking every cleric spell along your unimpeded druidic fullcaster progression.
Save everyone's life, every time, lose no progress on spellcasting.

If you multiclass though, you won't have animate dead (but really, are zombies important at the end of a campaign?).

Bardon
2021-09-24, 12:58 AM
If you're looking to have fun with Spiked Growth then take Thorn Whip and the Telekinetic feat. Push/pull as you choose!

elyktsorb
2021-09-26, 09:43 AM
As someone who has spent too much time contemplating Spore Druid, I would most likely not recommend multiclassing unless it's something you really want to do. 1 or 2 levels in any class isn't going to be 'too' big of a deal as long as you continue on with Druid levels after that. But I wouldn't go any further than 1 or 2 levels unless you have something real specific in mind.

Though, if you're goal isn't to go into melee, I just wonder why you're being a Spore Druid at all? Aside from the temp hp, 1 cantrip and the extra spells, every spore druid ability requires you being within 5-10ft of an enemy to work. At that point you could just be a Shepard Druid dropping Bear Totems for decent temp hp to your entire party.