PDA

View Full Version : "Community Standard" Homebrews [5e]

Bjarkmundur
2021-09-24, 03:08 PM
Finally got my own campaign again! Woohoo!

Now, I've been gone for a while, and I was wondering...

Have we reached the point that we've decided on some "Community Standard" Homebrews? Like, I know everyone has their style, but are there some brews that are general and widely agreed to be top quality? I'm obviously thinking about the ranger and the Sorcerer, first and foremost. But of course I'm willing to hear any and all of your favorite brews :)

I still have my old favourites saved, but I'm wondering if there have been any development since then.

JNAProductions
2021-09-24, 03:14 PM
Not to my knowledge.

Check out Grod the Giant’s work, though. They do some stellar work.

noob
2021-09-24, 03:20 PM
Finally got my own campaign again! Woohoo!

Now, I've been gone for a while, and I was wondering...

Have we reached the point that we've decided on some "Community Standard" Homebrews? Like, I know everyone has their style, but are there some brews that are general and widely agreed to be top quality? I'm obviously thinking about the ranger and the Sorcerer, first and foremost. But of course I'm willing to hear any and all of your favorite brews :)

I still have my old favourites saved, but I'm wondering if there have been any development since then.

Maybe pick content made by an homebrewer that had prior experience before 5e and used to make good content: they might still make good content for 5e.

Bjarkmundur
2021-09-24, 03:20 PM
Gold Standard! That's the word I was looking for!

Yeah Grod's really good ^^

The one's I have saved now are, I think, Trickery's Sorcerer, Grod's Warlock and Kane0's Ranger (with some tweaks).

Let me know if there are some class revisions you think should be in every game (at least as an option presented to your players)!

noob
2021-09-24, 03:21 PM
Gold Standard! That's the word I was looking for!

Yeah Grod's really good ^^

The one's I have saved now are, I think, Trickery's Sorcerer, Grod's Warlock and Kane0's Ranger (with some tweaks).

Let me know if there are some class revisions you think should be in every game (at least as an option presented to your players)!

Probably the removal of the chronurgist wizard from the game seeing how brokenly powerful it is.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-24, 03:48 PM
Hunter and Beastmaster rangers need them a list of bonus spells. At the very least.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-24, 07:39 PM
If you look for the design contest threads, they vote in winners and there's a fair amount of scrutiny placed on the entries up to voting.

noob
2021-09-25, 05:09 AM
If you look for the design contest threads, they vote in winners and there's a fair amount of scrutiny placed on the entries up to voting.
There is no scrutiny placed on the entries up to voting: I could make an entry while I have terrible terrible skills at making something understandable.(unless they upped the standards since last time I posted an entry)
What is however selective is who wins.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-09-25, 08:11 AM
There is no scrutiny placed on the entries up to voting: I could make an entry while I have terrible terrible skills at making something understandable.(unless they upped the standards since last time I posted an entry)
What is however selective is who wins.

Participation is open to all and the only requirements are that it be an original work with an at least tenuous connection to the theme as the participant interprets it. However, I think your comment here is displays a deeply disrespectful attitude, in particular to participants like molemage who makes a marked effort to critique every entry prior to voting. That's more scrutiny than some of what gets put on DMsguild, I'm sure.

noob
2021-09-25, 08:51 AM
Participation is open to all and the only requirements are that it be an original work with an at least tenuous connection to the theme as the participant interprets it. However, I think your comment here is displays a deeply disrespectful attitude, in particular to participants like molemage who makes a marked effort to critique every entry prior to voting. That's more scrutiny than some of what gets put on DMsguild, I'm sure.

What I say is that being an entry for the competition that is valid for voting is not in itself proof of it being up to the standards of the creator of the thread.
Being one of the best does not means being sufficiently good for being an automatic include either.
The only thing I can say is that the class that got top position had good ideas and have a well written implementation of those however whenever it is sufficiently top notch for being considered professional and whenever it is balanced with the base classes is another story.
It is easy to see from Bjarkmundur posts that he wants standards that includes only a minority of homebrew design.
Now if those competitions were followed by a bunch of playtests the playtested classes might fit the desired standards.

Bjarkmundur
2021-09-25, 09:16 AM
I'd muuuuuch rather see this thread turn into "If you could only bring one houserule, rule change or homebrew into your next game, what would it be?"

For me it would definetly be that any roll that's not a d20 can be substituted for it's average result. I'd never roll damage rolls, or hit dice results, I'd just take the average results.

I think it's kinda crazy that even though I have a lot of houserules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fqVaIbHNWRzWJ11L7aAuxxPqPdTp39zZ6DVBo7sXaD8/edit?usp=sharing), this tiny rule is definitely the one I'd have a hard time playing without.

I do understand both your points though, just so that's also on paper :D