PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Soul of the Astra Wind: movement Sorcerer

sandmote
2021-09-24, 03:55 PM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/skQWY87KGxse)

Where the Chronurgy Wizard affects time, I wanted something that effects space. To avoid thematic overlap with the Graviturgy Wizard, I made is a sorcerer and astral plane themed.

Fluff
The astral plane connect the outer planes to each other, a vast expanse of thoughts or emotions stretching between points of interest. In some place the astral leaks onto the material or other planes, creating regions of instability. Creatures tend to vanish, reappear looking the same after long stretches of time, or report traveling to far off destinations. The energies in these areas are often far stronger than those experienced on the astral plane proper, and sometimes bind themselves to those who pass through. The result is often Astral Wind sorcerers, who begin to manifest side effects from the absorption of these energies.

Astral Traveler
You learn your choice of Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal, the common languages of some of the creatures that regularly pass though the astral plane.

Starting at 1st level, you can use a bonus action on your turn to step along planar boundaries, immediately before or after you cast a spell of 1st level or higher. Doing so allows you to teleport up to 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks.

I feel like this conflicts with later features, but this knockoff of the Storm sorcerer was all I could really come up with. Suggestions welcome.

Planar Warp
At 6th level, you can create a warping space which deposits creatures a short distance from their previous location. As an action, you can choose a creature you can see within 60 feet, which is teleported up to 20 feet to a location you can see. An unwilling creature can make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC to avoid being teleported.

When you use this feature, you can choose to spend 2 sorcery points. When you do so, a creature that was willingly teleported or one that fails its saving throw is stunned until the end of your next turn. You can choose to use this effect after the creature decides whether or not to make the saving throw but before the DM determines whether the saving throw succeeds or fails.

The odd stunning requirements are intended to reward players for cleverly betraying others. Stunning helps make sure the betrayal isn't necessarily lethal.

Astral Jaunt
Starting at 14th level, you can step into the astral plane from your current position, protecting yourself from harm. You can escape to the astral plane as a bonus action, leaving your current plant of existence. You reappear at the start of your next turn in an open space you could see when you vanished no more than 30 feet from where you disappeared.

Once you use this bonus action, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest, unless you spend 4 sorcery points to use it again.

Based on the 4e Seeker's Feywild Jaunt.

Astral Ages
Starting at 18th level, your connection to the astral, where creatures do not age at all causes you to age more slowly no matter the plane you are on. For every 10 years that pass, your body ages only 1 year.

Knockoff of the druid class feature; felt appropriate.

Gale of Thought
By 18th level, you can summon a powerful gale of thought from the astral plane as an action, standing inside its eye as it buffets the area. The gale is reinforced as long as you concentrate on it (as if concentrating on a spell) and takes 1 round to dissipate after your concentration ends. If you leave the eye of the gale your concentration on it ends immediately. When you summon the gale it forms a 30-foot-radius, 40-foot-high cylinder centered on you position. Each creature that stats its turn inside the gale must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failed save the target takes 8d6 psychic damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a success the target takes half as much damage and is pushed 5 feet.

Each gale has an eye, a safe location around you. The eye is as wide as your space and as tall as the gale. A creature inside the eye's space in immune to damage from the eye and cannot be pushed by it.

You can create a gale of thought once, and regain the ability to do so at the end of a short or long rest.

I wanted something that wasn't movement based, but it has ended up feeling wonky and possibly a bit weak. Still, an effect that lasts after concentration ends feels like it could be neat and have some clever uses.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-24, 04:14 PM
Teleporting never provokes OAs, so you can drop that mention from Astral Traveller.

Having unlimited teleports at 6th level (even if it's just 20 feet) rubs me the wrong way. The second benefit is really powerful: stun is a harsh condition, and 2 SP is feels cheap for the effect (especially being able to convert spell slots to SP).

Astral Jaunt needs a sentence about what if someone or something is occupying the space when you return.

Wouldn't it just be easier to state that you can't move from your current location instead of the more complicated "can't leave the eye"?

Immunity to damage and inability to move is an... interesting choice. So they need to inflict a condition (or environmental hazard) to break the concentration or weather the storm? I'm not a fan of that. Though I suppose that you could be offensively teleported out (but how many creatures are capable of that)?

sandmote
2021-09-24, 06:44 PM
Having unlimited teleports at 6th level (even if it's just 20 feet) rubs me the wrong way. The second benefit is really powerful: stun is a harsh condition, and 2 SP is feels cheap for the effect (especially being able to convert spell slots to SP). What if I made the teleport cost 1 point, and the stun effect cost extra?

Astral Jaunt needs a sentence about what if someone or something is occupying the space when you return. The intent was that you choose the space at the time you return, rather than... I'm not even sure what else it would be.

Wouldn't it just be easier to state that you can't move from your current location instead of the more complicated "can't leave the eye"?

Immunity to damage and inability to move is an... interesting choice. So they need to inflict a condition (or environmental hazard) to break the concentration or weather the storm? I'm not a fan of that. Though I suppose that you could be offensively teleported out (but how many creatures are capable of that)? You have immunity to damage from the storm. You still take damage from all other effects as normal. Similarly, I intended it that the sorcerer can move up and down without issue.

Although I admit the wording could be worked on...

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-24, 10:18 PM
What if I made the teleport cost 1 point, and the stun effect cost extra?Honestly, I have no idea. I'd have to see it in play; it just feels wrong, you know?

The intent was that you choose the space at the time you return, rather than... I'm not even sure what else it would be.See, that's not at all what I read.
Astral Jaunt
Starting at 14th level, you can step into the astral plane from your current position, protecting yourself from harm. You can escape to the astral plane as a bonus action, leaving your current plant of existence. You reappear at the start of your next turn in an open space you could see when you vanished no more than 30 feet from where you disappeared.My reading would be that right before you disappear, you pick a spot within the 30 feet and reappear there at the start of your next turn. It's the bit about "you could see before you vanished" that makes me think that. You don't have vision of the Material Plane from the Astral Plane, so how could you pick a spot to return to?

You have immunity to damage from the storm. You still take damage from all other effects as normal. Similarly, I intended it that the sorcerer can move up and down without issue.

Although I admit the wording could be worked on...Ah, okay, I think that this is my fault as much as yours. I read it as "creatures in the eye don't take damage". Not sure why I read that, but if I read it properly it seems fine. Sorceror capstones generally aren't fantastic, and this seems to fit the curve, especially on a SR refresh.

sandmote
2021-09-25, 03:51 PM
My reading would be that right before you disappear, you pick a spot within the 30 feet and reappear there at the start of your next turn. It's the bit about "you could see before you vanished" that makes me think that. You don't have vision of the Material Plane from the Astral Plane, so how could you pick a spot to return to?

How the following wording change?

At the start of your next turn you reappear within an unoccupied space within 30 feet from where you disappeared. The space cannot have been behind total cover from location when you disappeared.

Ah, okay, I think that this is my fault as much as yours. I read it as "creatures in the eye don't take damage". Not sure why I read that, but if I read it properly it seems fine. Sorceror capstones generally aren't fantastic, and this seems to fit the curve, especially on a SR refresh.
How's the following replacement?

A creature inside the eye's space automatically succeeds on the saving throw, doesn't take damage from the gale, and isn't pushed.