PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A need help with a mounted charger build low optimization

jaekaido
2021-09-24, 03:58 PM
hello playground,
i am in a game and recently i have had to write some macros for roll20 for it. the problem i have is how to calculate the damage for being mounted with a lance. my character is a halfling knight.

the question i have is this. the lance on a charge deals double damage, triple with spirited charge. so damage= 1d6+bonuses becomes damage= 3d6+(bonuses*3). i get this, i think.
what happens on a crit? does it just multiply by 3 because of the lances crit range or is the math somehow different from damage= (3d6+(bonuses*3))*3?

note i am not optimizing here as that would make this even more confusing. i am not looking for things to increase it just figuring out the math for the charge and a critical hit on said charge.

Lilapop
2021-09-24, 04:37 PM
A spirited lance crit would be 5d6 + 5 * bonuses. "×Y" effectively means "do the damage calculations Y-1 additional times".

On Roll20, I'd set aside the code for a single instance of damage (1d6 + str + enhancement + whatever else) in an attribute and call that an appropriate number of times. The setup in Diana's sheet is a bit weird (it seems to ignore the fact that abilities exactly like this and weapons like greatswords exist), but at the very least those macros post base damage and crit damage separately, so you have one line posting "dmg:=[[1*@{damage}]]" and one with "critdmg:=[[2*@{damage}]]". Change the former to "dmg:=[[(1+?{Is this a spirited charge with a lance?|yes,2|no,0})*@{damage}]]"

jaekaido
2021-09-24, 06:09 PM
alright thanks a bunch now i just need to put it in thanks again.