PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Tasha's Hideous Laughter Question

Trask
2021-09-25, 12:08 PM
I was asked whether Tasha's Hideous Laughter could be used to stop enemy spellcasters from using verbal components, and I was rather surprised that I had never thought of that before, or given much consideration as to whether or not it would work. I know that the spell does not strictly state it, but I like to be flexible and not limit myself to RAW strictly and it did seem to make sense. That being said, it seems like a powerful application of a 1st level spell. In the moment I said, yes, and it didn't feel overpowered, but doubt lingers in my mind on whether the ruling I made was healthy for game balance. I am considering changing my ruling to require a concentration check to be made to successfully use verbal components while under the effects of hideous laughter.

I think most players are familiar with this simple yet powerful spell, however I will post it just for reference.

A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected.

At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target had advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

What do you think of this use of the spell, and would you allow it?

Kvess
2021-09-25, 12:10 PM
An incapacitated creature can’t take actions or reactions, so an incapacitated spellcaster would be unable to cast spells regardless of the components involved.

JNAProductions
2021-09-25, 12:25 PM
An incapacitated creature can’t take actions or reactions, so an incapacitated spellcaster would be unable to cast spells regardless of the components involved.

This. If they can somehow casts a spell without using an action, they can probably also cast it while laughing.

Amnestic
2021-09-25, 12:26 PM

Indeed, and just in case bonus action or legendary action spells come up, both of these have caveats stating they can't be used.

PHB189:

You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action’s timing is specified, and anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action

MM11:

A legendary creature can take a certain number of special actions-called legendary actions-outside its turn. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. A creature regains its spent legendary actions at the start of its turn. It can forgo using them, and it can't use them while incapacitated or otherwise unable to take actions. If surprised, it can't use them until after its first turn in the combat.

You can crawl while laughing, but that's pretty much it.

Trask
2021-09-25, 12:31 PM
Look at that, totally slipped my mind. What a dumb question!

Foolwise
2021-09-25, 12:34 PM
No such thing as a dumb question.

JNAProductions
2021-09-25, 12:53 PM
No such thing as a dumb question.

That's a lie, that is.

But it's easy to miss small details when reading something, especially if you think you already know what it says. Happens to all of us! And, if there's a spell similar to Tasha's Hideous Laughter that still allows for actions, your question would definitely be one to think about (assuming said spell didn't have anything to say on the matter).

Townopolis
2021-09-25, 12:56 PM
Just going to pop in and point out that, in addition to the above, you cannot concentrate while incapacitated.

PHB 203, bottom of the second column.

Foolwise
2021-09-25, 12:56 PM
That's a lie, that is.

The world would be a better place if there was no stigma attached to trying to gain/correct knowledge. Don't push the stigma.

Kvess
2021-09-25, 01:13 PM
It's a really easy thing to miss. Spells in 5e are more self-contained than in previous editions. They tend to say exactly what they do in their description, without referencing other rules about how different subschools of magic work (phantasms, glamours, and images from 3.5e, I'm looking at you).

The big exception is when a spell refers to Conditions, which sometimes refer to other Conditions, and can be very confusing. You might conflate incapacitated with stunned or unconscious, or apply the effect of one condition without applying the effects of the other condition that the first condition applies. I've done it. As a DM, you'll find that mistakes on both sides of the screen are inevitable.

Lunali
2021-09-25, 01:15 PM
Just going to pop in and point out that, in addition to the above, you cannot concentrate while incapacitated.

PHB 203, bottom of the second column.

I really wish they had included that and auto-failing grappling checks in the condition section instead of scattering them into the rest of the book.

Kvess
2021-09-25, 01:17 PM
I really wish they had included that and auto-failing grappling checks in the condition section instead of scattering them into the rest of the book.

5e! It's streamlined and simple to run, except when it's not.

Phhase
2021-09-26, 03:39 PM
What about reaction spells like Shield?

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-26, 03:44 PM
What about reaction spells like Shield?

Kvess already answered that.

I'd agree that there's no stupid questions; there are, however, stupid people.

I've worked retail, and I feel comfortable asserting the above as an absolute truth.