PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Mining and Mining Detection Abilities

LibraryOgre
2021-09-25, 12:29 PM
So, human PC. Has the Mining Proficiency at a proficiency score of 15.

What are their chances of doing dwarf, gnome, or halfling mining detection tricks? Grade or slope, shifting walls, etc? I'm aware of the dwarf Mining Detection Proficiencies, but would you let someone with just Mining do any of that? What about Underground Survival?

Mutazoia
2021-09-25, 11:18 PM
So, human PC. Has the Mining Proficiency at a proficiency score of 15.

What are their chances of doing dwarf, gnome, or halfling mining detection tricks? Grade or slope, shifting walls, etc? I'm aware of the dwarf Mining Detection Proficiencies, but would you let someone with just Mining do any of that? What about Underground Survival?

I would say it would be very hard for a human with the Mining Proficiency to pull of the dwarf detection tricks. It would be a bit like a city kid who joined the Boy Scouts trying to out hunt/track a native Australian Bushman. I would say grade or slope would be possible, but shifting walls and the like would require a very damned good roll. Like Crit success good.

Underground Survival is a subset of the Survival proficiency, so I would be unwilling to let a person with "mining" do more than detect possible gas pockets or areas prone to cave-ins, and what to do if you are trapped by a cave-in. Other than that, mining knowledge wouldn't really cover everything that is assumed to be included by the Survival proficiency (Direction, how to find food/water, etc).