PDA

View Full Version : Tasha as Eda the Owl Lady

Segev
2021-09-25, 04:47 PM
I have, in the past, bemoaned that Tasha as presented in TCE was too childish and flippant in a way that felt like she was trying to hard, in the manner of a teen edgelord. However, I have just had what might qualify as an epiphany: if I read Tasha's lines in TCE as if they were spoken in Eda's voice, they don't seem so jarring for a powerful witch.

What do you, my fellow playgrounders who've seen The Owl House think? Is giving Tasha an Eda-like personality appropriate to the character of Tasha?

Dienekes
2021-09-25, 04:56 PM
Eh, I’m still stuck on Iggwilv being a sadistic, half mad, chaotic evil, player corrupting, demon humping witch. So I wasn’t quite with Tasha’s interpretation either. But making her even less evil and just fun like Eda seems the wrong direction to me.

That said. It’s your mentality and your games, and Tasha doesn’t actually exist. So if you enjoy it, keep it up.

Segev
2021-09-25, 05:13 PM
Eh, I’m still stuck on Iggwilv being a sadistic, half mad, chaotic evil, player corrupting, demon humping witch. So I wasn’t quite with Tasha’s interpretation either. But making her even less evil and just fun like Eda seems the wrong direction to me.

That said. It’s your mentality and your games, and Tasha doesn’t actually exist. So if you enjoy it, keep it up.
I was more thinking keeping Tasha evil, but using Eda's personality. She is pretty callous most of the time, and while the show gives us insight to show it is more facade than genuine even in the first episode, you would not need much to take it and make it selfish evil. Heck, even keeping her better nature elements works if she has a narrow in group she's fond of, and is honestly as viciously uncaring and exploitative as she pretends towards others.

It's just a matter of sharpening rather than softening the edge as you dig into what she "really" means.

I thlnk.

Honestly, I am not running any games and wouldn't have thought to use Tasha in one normally, anyway. The TCE presentation just really bugged me.

Amechra
2021-09-25, 05:22 PM
Tasha is the kind of person who would invent a spell that makes someone laugh compulsively, to the point where they can no longer defend themselves. I don't get why people think that her being flippant and childish is jarring.

Unoriginal
2021-09-25, 05:25 PM
I have, in the past, bemoaned that Tasha as presented in TCE was too childish and flippant in a way that felt like she was trying to hard, in the manner of a teen edgelord. However, I have just had what might qualify as an epiphany: if I read Tasha's lines in TCE as if they were spoken in Eda's voice, they don't seem so jarring for a powerful witch.

What do you, my fellow playgrounders who've seen The Owl House think? Is giving Tasha an Eda-like personality appropriate to the character of Tasha?

That's one way to do it.

However, I propose an alternative: try reading Tasha's lines as if they were spoken by Luz.

Tasha is the kind of person who would invent a spell that makes someone laugh compulsively, to the point where they can no longer defend themselves. I don't get why people think that her being flippant and childish is jarring.

I honestly don't know.

JackPhoenix
2021-09-25, 05:59 PM
One possibility is that Tasha has a personality of an edgy teenager.

The other possibility is that the ancient witch known for being master manipulator is presented like childlish and mostly harmless in a book the people she's deceived before are editing and publishing for other reasons.

But hey, I'm sure SOMEONE is glad people believe the first possibility.

ftafp
2021-09-25, 06:29 PM

The fact that the spell is implied to work at least partially on the principles of tickle-torture is not a point in favor of her maturity. It also makes me wonder if "Iggwilv" is actually her deviantart username

No brains
2021-09-25, 06:46 PM
I'm one for the interpretation that flippant, fey-funzies Tasha is a façade and that underneath the action-denying, Grazzt-dealing, total witch she's been before is still there lurking and ready to strike.

Ralanr
2021-09-25, 06:48 PM
I could see it.

Speely
2021-09-25, 06:52 PM
I like it just for the fact that it brings the world a little more Eda. Just drop the kindness and add even more chaos. Perf.

Unoriginal
2021-09-25, 07:06 PM
I'm one for the interpretation that flippant, fey-funzies Tasha is a façade and that underneath the action-denying, Grazzt-dealing, total witch she's been before is still there lurking and ready to strike.

One can be a flippant fey-funzies person and an action-denying, Graz'zt-dealing total witch without hiding anything.

OldTrees1
2021-09-25, 07:48 PM

Unless I missed something, I am going to assume TCE was written in Iggwilv's past. I agree that her younger self comes across like Eda does. Tragically, Iggwilv does not come across like Eda does.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-28, 10:59 AM
Eh, I’m still stuck on Iggwilv being a sadistic, half mad, chaotic evil, player corrupting, demon humping witch. So I wasn’t quite with Tasha’s interpretation either. Same here. The picture of her on Dungeon #149 to me captures her a bit better. Femme Fatale, but more dangerous.

In my Greyhawk campaign, if the players run into her, they better be on their A-game ... :smalleek: and if they take her out she's got a sortof-boyfriend who may just wreck them. Who is her ex flame (literally) who has never forgotten her, no matter how she done him wrong?
Graz'zt. This demon prince still has a perverse fondness for her. Despite their battles, there's something about "kiss and make up" (OK, getting a bit R rated here) that appeals to them both. Yeah, he's still mad at her about some of their past conflicts, but he also knows, deep in his demonic heart, that she's the one - in his case - that the "I can't quit you" lyric / trope / theme was written for.
Of course they still disagree and they are still at odds, and their paths still cross with some friction (various minions doing double crosses on their behalf) but when the kiss and make happens, it's cosmic, and the earth literally moves.

Unoriginal
2021-09-28, 11:43 AM
Same here. The picture of her on Dungeon #149 to me captures her a bit better. Femme Fatale, but more dangerous.

In my Greyhawk campaign, if the players run into her, they better be on their A-game ... :smalleek: and if they take her out she's got a sortof-boyfriend who may just wreck them. Who is her ex flame (literally) who has never forgotten her, no matter how she done him wrong?
Graz'zt. This demon prince still has a perverse fondness for her. Despite their battles, there's something about "kiss and make up" (OK, getting a bit R rated here) that appeals to them both. Yeah, he's still mad at her about some of their past conflicts, but he also knows, deep in his demonic heart, that she's the one - in his case - that the "I can't quit you" lyric / trope / theme was written for.
Of course they still disagree and they are still at odds, and their paths still cross with some friction (various minions doing double crosses on their behalf) but when the kiss and make happens, it's cosmic, and the earth literally moves.

Well, tbh, "they're incredibly toxic for each other but they're also incredibly in love so they keep making up, making out, breaking up and breaking out" isn't really an argument *against* the idea that Iggwilv has the personality of an edgy teenager.

Rather the contrary, in fact.

Catullus64
2021-09-28, 12:53 PM

I don't think it helps, if only because Eda's writing is a damn sight better, in a kids' show no less. Eda is certainly a realization of the sort of thing they were going for with Tasha, but it only makes the ways in which Tasha falls flat stand out clearer.

I think part of it is that Eda is an actual character with a story, whereas Tasha is either a broad setting villain or, in this case, a framing device for an already-contentious rulebook. Eda is snarky and self-possessed, but also allowed to be vulnerable, affectionate, tragic. There's a strong emotional core which grounds her whimsy. I daresay I could be turned around on nouveau-Tasha if they put out a paperback or something in which she has adventures, commits multiversal crimes, and maybe has some human depth behind all the witticisms and trendy slogans.

I doubt that will happen. As the lady of the hour once said: "Quitting! It's like trying, but easier!"

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-28, 03:54 PM
Well, tbh, "they're incredibly toxic for each other but they're also incredibly in love so they keep making up, making out, breaking up and breaking out" isn't really an argument *against* the idea that Iggwilv has the personality of an edgy teenager.

Rather the contrary, in fact. Unfortunately, I know (IRL) multiple married couples who have had that dynamic, to include two different couples who married and divorced and married again to each other. (Truth is stranger than fiction, some times). Also, the dynamic I have in my little version of that relationship involves two beings: Iggwlv and Graz'zt.
I find it nearly impossible to envision Graz'zt as "an edgy teenager" ... maybe that's just me. (Heck, it doesn't even need to be 'edgy teenager' or even 'teenager' as I've seen, and still see, plenty of adults of a range of ages go through the same dynamic).

Heh, my favorite case of "I don't get this" is almost 20 years ago, when a guy who worked for me (divorced) took three days off. I asked him where he'd be and he mentioned where, and then volunteered the 'whom' in question. I did a double take and asked "Wait, didn't you two divorce a couple of years ago?" and he grinned ear to ear. He told me "Yeah, we did, but
There ain't no sex like sex with your ex!"
Glad I've never been able to confirm or deny that hypothesis.

loki_ragnarock
2021-09-28, 04:32 PM
Same here. The picture of her on Dungeon #149 to me captures her a bit better. Femme Fatale, but more dangerous.

Getting some real Alpha Couple vibes out of this.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-28, 04:56 PM
Getting some real Alpha Couple vibes out of this. Somewhat, I guess, but I've got a strong flavor of dysfunctional going (and least at the conceptual phase) which isn't quite how I understand Alpha Couple (but I am drawing on the Urban Dictionary version, there may be a different def to the term that I'm missing).

loki_ragnarock
2021-09-28, 05:19 PM
Somewhat, I guess, but I've got a strong flavor of dysfunctional going (and least at the conceptual phase) which isn't quite how I understand Alpha Couple (but I am drawing on the Urban Dictionary version, there may be a different def to the term that I'm missing).

HA! HAHAHA! HAHAHAHA!

Sorry, I just read the urban dictionary definition.

The Alpha Couple is a fictional couple documented by The Mountain Goats in several songs of early albums. The album Tallahassee is the culmination of the Alpha Couple's journey.

They are... something.

KorvinStarmast
2021-09-28, 09:27 PM
The Alpha Couple is a fictional couple documented by The Mountain Goats in several songs of early albums. The album Tallahassee is the culmination of the Alpha Couple's journey.

They are... something. OK, I guess I need to check that out and see what it's about. Thanks for the tip. :smallsmile: