PDA

View Full Version : Scrutinize my Houserules [Episode 1]

Bjarkmundur
2021-09-26, 06:21 AM
To The ForumI am about to launch my first campaign since Covid started, and I've been furiously updating my Houserule document in preparation. The document in it's entirety is absolutely gargantuan, so I'll be posting it on chunks, so the discussion doesn't get out of hand.

Although all my players have access to this document, it is quite a heavy read. My job is to mediate it's contents to my players and negotiate which parts will be included and which won't.

The scrutiny I desperately need is pointing inconsistencies or where the text is not perfectly clear. As stated in the introduction below, all of these rules have been carefully thought out, and some are still experimental. For that reason, I am not putting the rules themselves under scrutiny, only their phrasing and presentation.

That being said, I will of course answer any and
all questions, as long as they are coming from a place of kindness and curiosity, and not criticisms and judgement.

IntroductionThis document is a collection of all the various tweaks I enjoy implementing in my games. Each change is carefully thought out and is made with a clear purpose in mind. Whether the objective is to fix a perceived problem, emphasize a certain aspect of gameplay, to simplify or experiment, the ultimate goal is to increase the immersion and enjoyment of both the DM and the players.
Behind the scenes were many forum threads, personal messages, and discussions regarding each and every houserule, for which I compiled a list of links here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CmPezHIK0xDUe7EX4iwyIhCGamGmaCpOelpQPfcYs4E/edit?usp=sharing). This should at least serve as a background to the extensive vetting process a houserule has to go through before making it to my table.
Feel free to browse, criticize, and borrow any of the included houserules.
For a complete compilation of all the various tables I use, you can find them all in this spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NfxAz5ipRDEIQwfs1JWnRwxZ6-vRVa9SveIrcwBPu7U/edit?usp=drivesdk).

Table Etiquette- DnD is a team-oriented game and the players are expected to pick up a team-oriented playstyle. The heroes of the story are expected to become a close-knit group of friends, and each individual player should consciously work towards that goal.
- Adventure is most fun when it happens to characters fit for adventure. Your characters should be equally ready for battle, solving puzzles, investigating clues and talking their way out of a sticky situation. Design your character's motivation, abilities and morals accordingly.
- No smartphones at the table.
- All in-game sexy time or skullduggery will result in a fade-to-black. Murdering orphans will happen off-screen or not at all.
- Declaration before dice roll, or the roll won't count.
- Just describe what you want to accomplish, and how you want to accomplish it. The DM will guide you through the rest.
- PvP is not allowed.
- I expect character knowledge and player knowledge to be kept separate, but acknowledge that the characters are meant to be expert adventurers in most cases.
- Murder Hoboing is fun, but the Code Legal (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/21/DRA21_WDH_Preview_cl.pdf)is included in my game for a reason.
- Edgy, sulking, lone-wolf characters will be polymorphed into a gnome by the first hag they encounter, and afflicted by the “Curse of Permanent Excessive Joyfulness”.
- I’m sorry, but the Booming Blade cantrip and Greenflame Blade cantrip are not included as character options.

One RuleThe only rule a player needs to learn before playing is how to declare intent:

Preceding any action, the player describes the desired outcome of his actions and his method to achieving the outcome.

Once described in full, the DM decides whether the action can be attempted, whether it succeeds automatically, or warrants a dice roll. If the action would fail automatically the DM is likely to give a warning before the action is attempted. If the action fails, the player suffers costs or risks associated with the roll. If the action is a success the player either accomplishes his desired outcome or makes progress towards it. Even then, the DM can apply consequences based on the player’s specific method.

Character IntroductionYour character gains a lot of iconic abilities over the course of the first 3 levels, which might seem weird when the progression through 1st and 2nd level is really fast:

“I've been in a dungeon this whole time, where did my character learn new spells? How did I figure out an entire fighting style in just two combat encounters?! My character has been a Paladin for years, and he's just now figuring out how to Lay on Hands?!"

At my table the first 3 levels are more focused on character introduction than character advancement. In-world, your character has the power level of his 3rd level abilities from the start, but has yet to reveal them in the context of the story.
The first time your character becomes stronger in-world is at level 4, where your character actually becomes fundamentally stronger, faster or smarter (ability score increases), and adjusts his tactics (gains a feat). It is therefore a good idea to have your 2nd and 3rd level character sheets premade, or at least have a solid idea where your character build is going.

Absent PlayersIf a player is absent from a session his character is assumed to follow the party but simply 'out of scene'. The party can use an absent player's character's skill proficiencies but is otherwise inactive. The absent player's character does not participate in combat encounters and advances in levels alongside the players. An absent player gains no loot or rewards and is assumed to take the Work downtime, when applicable, gaining 30gp every 30 days.

Damage GuidelinesShown below are the average damage values of a single attack against the player characters for each level.

Level 1: 3 damage
Level 2: 4 damage
Level 3: 5 damage
Level 4: 6 damage
Level 5: 7 damage
Level 6: 8 damage

Common DCs

Easy

>Normal<

>13<

Medium

Hard