PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed The Shrinshee, Elminster, Larloch and Telemont Tanthul

CopperElfCleric
2021-09-26, 08:28 AM
Soooooo.... between The Shrinshee, Elminster, Larloch and Telemont Tanthul, who would you say is the most powerful being on Faerun? Not in just arcane or divine power, but just overall.

I personally would go with The Shrinshee.

redking
2021-09-26, 08:41 AM
Larloch and Telamont Tanthul went down pretty easily in The Herald.

CopperElfCleric
2021-09-26, 09:18 AM
Larloch and Telamont Tanthul went down pretty easily in The Herald.

Not by Elminster. I just read the book for a second time. Great novel btw. I don't want to give any spoilers besides the one I just let slip. lol

CopperElfCleric
2021-09-26, 10:10 AM
Shade assassins, Shadow Adept destroyers, ancient monsters, elves dying everywhere. Some of the most powerful elves on Faerun fighting for their lives amidst a hell-storm of death. Amazing book.

Biggus
2021-09-26, 11:06 AM
Depends whether you use the official 32nd level version of Larloch in LoD or take Ed Greenwood's word that he's "probably 46th level by now"...

Ioulaum would beat them all for sure though. I think his official CR is 68; this probably overstates his power in reality but it's in the 50s at least.

Arcanist
2021-09-26, 05:42 PM
Soooooo.... between The Shrinshee, Elminster, Larloch and Telemont Tanthul, who would you say is the most powerful being on Faerun? Not in just arcane or divine power, but just overall.

The follow up to The Herald, titled After The Fall (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/after-fall) more or less answers this question, but not explicitly. Keep in mind, there were many mitigating circumstances, but I believe the order was that the Srinshee surpassed Larloch (with the collective wards of Candlekeep, plus presumable the aid of his Lich servitors), who surpass Telemont Tanthul, who surpassed or equaled Elminster (at least enough to successfully assassinate him).

Granted, I am mildly biased, but I personally favor Larloch.

Psyren
2021-09-26, 08:31 PM
A retired adventurer-turned-shopkeeper obviously.

(It's hard to go off strict CR/ECL for this stuff because of how fond FR writers were of cramming in random class levels to represent every facet of a NPC's life - see the utter mess that is Elminster's build for example - and even in the cases where a given caster class predominates, their tactics tend to be pretty subpar anyway.)