PDA

View Full Version : Noble Build Help

cartejos
2021-09-26, 10:34 AM
Locked: Human Noble 8/X12 Mercantile Background

Noble 8 has very minor abilities, so it's basically a class that has a D8 Hit Dice, 3/4 BAB, Light Armor, Shields, and Martial Weapons

I want to build it as a melee character, what advice would you give?

Twurps
2021-09-26, 01:12 PM
Take some fightery feats, buy a sword. Go to town.

Or: take 12 levels of druid, cast buff spells, wildshape into a bear (though somewhat late in levels). Go to town.

Or: Be a wartroll (or whatever the most melee friendly race is that one can get for 12RHD/LA or less, I doubt a wartroll is actually an option) as a chassis for your 8 levels Noble. Go to town.

What I'm getting at is: Your specifications are VERY broad. Making it very difficult to give decent advice. What kind of campaign will you be playing? at what (presumably lower than 'normal/regular') power level will you be playing? What is it that you envision your character doing? What makes the 8 levels op Noble 'set in stone'? Are the feats for those levels also already set? and if so: What are they? How big is your playgroup/party? What classes/roles are the others playing?

loky1109
2021-09-26, 01:58 PM
Go to ToB. Melee fighters are there. And your 8 levels give you 4 IL anyway.

Malphegor
2021-09-26, 03:59 PM
just to be clear this is the dragonlance campaign setting noble yeah? As that’s pretty cool, always been unsure how to leverage the Favours mechanic effectively, it seems like a 1/adventure plot advancement coupon.

Maat Mons
2021-09-26, 06:26 PM
Do the eight Noble levels need to be the first eight levels? or can they be interspersed with other things?

Ur Priest is a possibility. The cleric spell list has a fair number of buff spells that you could use on yourself to help you in combat.

Noble has Bluff and all Knowledge skills as class skills, so that just leaves Spellcraft for prerequisite skills. Noble can pick any one skill to add as an extra class skill, so that's easy to get.

The Iron Will and Spell Focus prerequisites are annoying, since they eat up your feats. But the feats have no prerequisites of their own. Not even Spell Focus, which seems like it would require casting of some sort. So nothing is stopping you from getting those.

You've got the base Will save prerequisite in the bag. You'll need one more level of something to meet the base Fortitude save prerequisite. Another level of Noble could work, if you like. Or you could take a single level in any class with a good Fortitude save progression.

Thurbane
2021-09-26, 06:48 PM
Go to ToB. Melee fighters are there. And your 8 levels give you 4 IL anyway.

Agree with this. Warblade and Crusader are good if you want full BAB. Swordsage is good if you want a lot of manoeuvres. It also depends a little on whether Int, Cha or Wis are your highest stat.

Soranar
2021-09-27, 06:31 PM
Locked: Human Noble 8/X12 Mercantile Background

Noble 8 has very minor abilities, so it's basically a class that has a D8 Hit Dice, 3/4 BAB, Light Armor, Shields, and Martial Weapons

I want to build it as a melee character, what advice would you give?

Go for mounted combat since you don't have pounce.

-Use wild cohort to get a heavy horse (decent mount with lots of strength and HP) you can buy it magic horseshoes to let it fly over obstacles so you ignore bad terrain to charge, lets you charge in most situations

-spend you magic items budget or getting a valorous lance with a wand chamber containing a wand of rhino's rush

-take the mounted combat feats

-white raven maneuvers/stances that work well with charges (static damage that gets multiplied) I'd take a level of Crusader to get them.

or

go for a lockdown build (reach weapon, AoO build) again with levels of crusader