PDA

View Full Version : Cale's Journey

JNAProductions
2021-09-26, 11:14 AM
You stick around as the others depart, since Slivux didn't exactly give you a destination. "Now, Cale," he says as the others depart. "What makes you you? What should you focus on to make more of you better?"

Lord Foul
2021-09-27, 11:33 AM
Cale was excited to have his first magic class. He took copious notes, though occasionally they meandered into errant thoughts of how cool it would look if Cale did something or other and the margins of his notes end up covered in doodles. He seems excited when he's first brought up to be singled out, is this the start of some great adventure? Maybe he was being singled out to deal with the dimensional rift they had heard about! But then it becomes clear that no... this wasn't what that was about. What made cale special. What made him him. He as going to refute the need to specialize. He was an elf, it could be learned by a human ever it could be learned by him eventually. But that wasn't quite what was being asked. What was being asked was "I want to be a hero, sir. The kind that songs are sung about and remembered for ages past"

JNAProductions
2021-09-27, 12:36 PM
"Many do. Many do," Slivux says. "But you need more than just a dream-from what we know of you, you're a talented young man, but even a young dragon would prove more than a match for you. We'll work with you to make you stronger, of course-but think of the heroes you hear of. How many traveled alone? Sure, there's always one that comes to the fore, but no one is an island to themselves. But, even more than that... To me, at least, a hero is not always going to be great deeds. To truly be a hero, you may never hear songs about your glory-but you will know you made an impact. You will know you did the right thing."

The pot shimmies over a little, and he continues. "With that in mind, if you truly wish to be a hero, what can you do, right here, right now?" he asks leadingly.

Lord Foul
2021-09-27, 01:28 PM
Cale frowns before summoning a shining rapier to his hand "I'm skilled with both sword and conjured energy, fire in particular, and I have a decent collection of rituals for use outside of combat, a flare for the dramatic and a willingness, nay, an eagerness to try and learn new things". He says, giving a few practice swings in a fencing stance.

JNAProductions
2021-09-27, 01:41 PM
"..."

Slivux sighs-a slightly bubbly sound. "Pebbles. He's the one who needs help. And it won't require your sword-or at least, it shouldn't. This won't be a task that they sing songs about. This won't be glamorous. This won't be dramatic, or dangerous, or anything like that. But what it will be is a good thing. A hero does not stand idly by while they can help another person in need."

Lord Foul
2021-09-27, 02:12 PM
Cale frowns but nods "all right. I guess that makes sense." Most of the tales of heroes have them start with small modest quests to test their mettle, and to keep them humble "what's wrong with him?" he asks, letting go of the sword to let it disappear in a shimmer of light.

JNAProductions
2021-09-27, 07:01 PM
Slivux gestures with a pseudopod. "I mentioned earlier-he's a talented young man. He simply refuses to apply himself. And... Well, I worry about what he's doing. He's talked to Volgrazuth a lot, and she might've been giving him the wrong kind of advice. If I'm wrong, then all you need to do is get him to apply himself more. Be his friend, lift him up, and set an example for what someone can do when they really try. If I'm right... There may be a cause for more of your brand of heroics."

Lord Foul
2021-09-27, 07:18 PM
Cale nods, this seemed easy enough, maybe challenging him to a duel could be the kick in the pants needed to get him to shape up "tell me about this Volgtazuth. What makes you think he's possibly such a bad influence on the boy?"

JNAProductions
2021-09-27, 08:11 PM
"That is not really my story to tell-and besides that, I probably shouldn't've mentioned it to start. Sorry about that," Slivux says. "Just... Forget you heard it."

Lord Foul
2021-09-29, 07:42 AM
Cale frowns, that wouldn't do "I'm afraid that's not an option. If I am to help the lad, I need to know the situation he's in. A man who knows the enemy and knows himself needs not fear a hundred battles after all. It would be impossible to simply forget in any case, all that withholding information means is that I have to go directly to them to ask what their relationship is to a student, possibly causing a scene"

JNAProductions
2021-09-29, 09:35 AM
Slivux ponders a moment, then sighs. "Volgtazuth is not the dwarf she appears to be-she's an arcanaloth. Redeemed, of course-we wouldn't have an outright evil fiend here-but she's still... Well, her nature is what it is."

If you seem not to recognize the word, Slivux explains briefly. "Fiends of the lower planes-neutral mercenaries, who sell to both sides of the Blood War. You can learn more in the libraries, if you're curious, but hopefully it shouldn't matter."

Lord Foul
2021-09-30, 09:09 AM
Cale'Anon nods and says, "I'm off then, hopefully I won't need to talk to the fiend on this subject, thank you for this opportunity sir!" He says before bolting out the door and slaps the wall to turn on the magic servants to find the other student

JNAProductions
2021-09-30, 11:43 AM
It doesn't take long to catch up to Pebbles. He's strolling down the Halls, not a care in the world.

Lord Foul
2021-09-30, 03:41 PM
Cale smiles at him "hey there, I'm a classmate of yours, Cale'Anon Vaty, first year and in the same intro class as you. I could use a study partner, do you want to hang out?" he offers, framing it as Cale wanting help rather than offering it so as to try to avoid wounding his pride

JNAProductions
2021-09-30, 03:44 PM
"Hm?" he replies, not having been paying attention. You repeat yourself, and he nods, slowly. "You really didn't get any of what the old slime said? It was the first day, man-that stuff's easy."

Lord Foul
2021-09-30, 03:52 PM
"Oh no, I did get what he was saying, but I figured it would be good to be prepared in the event it gets more difficult later, and if it doesn't, there's other classes. And if none of the classes are challenging us that's a problem with the school and us for choosing it" Cale says with certainty

JNAProductions
2021-09-30, 03:53 PM
Pebbles nods. "Makes sense. Well... I'm not the best teacher, but I guess I can help. Where do you room? My space here is full of jerks, so hopefully your space is better."

I'd like to get you back to the main thread, since everyone else has already. If not, no biggie.

Lord Foul
2021-09-30, 04:08 PM
Pebbles nods. "Makes sense. Well... I'm not the best teacher, but I guess I can help. Where do you room? My space here is full of jerks, so hopefully your space is better."

I'd like to get you back to the main thread, since everyone else has already. If not, no biggie.

"Oh you don't have to be. We can learn things together. It's not far, here, follow me!" He says, bouncing excitedly next post can be there