PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sorcadin multiclass with Oath of the Open Sea

Tungstonia
2021-09-28, 10:25 AM
I'm currently playing a Lvl 5 Triton, Oath of the Open Seas Paladin in a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign. I took PAM at level 4, have a defense dueling style, and a +1 glaive.

I'm considering multiclassing into a sorcerer soon but am unsure on the level split or what origin to take. Definitely would like to hit level 6 in Paladin for aura shenanigans but not sure if the level 7 feature is worth it. Leaning away from storm sorcerer because, despite the obvious flavor, it seems a little weak in comparison to other subclasses. Let me know what you think!

Burley
2021-09-28, 10:42 AM
I'm a big fan of the Aberrant Mind sorc. At first level, they get a decent bonus cantrip, and they get Arms of Hadar and telepathy, both of which I imagine being very useful underwater. Thematically, maybe you've got some Aboleth blood in ya.

Christew
2021-09-28, 11:40 AM
I'm currently playing a Lvl 5 Triton, Oath of the Open Seas Paladin in a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign. I took PAM at level 4, have a defense dueling style, and a +1 glaive.

I'm considering multiclassing into a sorcerer soon but am unsure on the level split or what origin to take. Definitely would like to hit level 6 in Paladin for aura shenanigans but not sure if the level 7 feature is worth it. Leaning away from storm sorcerer because, despite the obvious flavor, it seems a little weak in comparison to other subclasses. Let me know what you think!
Definitely stay until 6 -- aura is the jam. Open Seas 7 (aura to avoid grapple/restrained) seems a bit lackluster in general and, IIRC, not particularly applicable in RotF.

Tungstonia
2021-09-28, 01:05 PM
I'm a big fan of the Aberrant Mind sorc. At first level, they get a decent bonus cantrip, and they get Arms of Hadar and telepathy, both of which I imagine being very useful underwater. Thematically, maybe you've got some Aboleth blood in ya.

I'd considered aberrant mind before, that expanded spell list is sweet. Hadn't thought of having Aboleth blood as flavor, but that's a great idea! It's a toss-up between this or shadow or divine soul at the moment.

Tungstonia
2021-09-28, 01:10 PM
Definitely stay until 6 -- aura is the jam. Open Seas 7 (aura to avoid grapple/restrained) seems a bit lackluster in general and, IIRC, not particularly applicable in RotF.

For sure staying in pally for the aura, especially since I'm planning to stay in melee fairly often. I little worried about delaying ASI/feats until level 10, but should be fine once I get through that. Right now, I was opting for +2 charisma next but should I get warcaster or resilience con for concentration spells?

Christew
2021-09-28, 01:17 PM
For sure staying in pally for the aura, especially since I'm planning to stay in melee fairly often. I little worried about delaying ASI/feats until level 10, but should be fine once I get through that. Right now, I was opting for +2 charisma next but should I get warcaster or resilience con for concentration spells?
Yeah, it's always annoying to balance MCing and ASIs.

Hmm, depends on where you are at and what your character goals are. Raising CHA is going to be key if you are going to end up mostly Sorc, but a concentration feat might be more germane if you are usually using a concentration buff. What's your current stat array/ideal play style?

dpencil
2021-09-28, 01:20 PM
Resilient is usually a better choice at higher levels when your proficiency is higher, so it's probably what I would pick at level 10. Have you considered multiclassing into Warlock instead of Sorc? Short rest regained smites are pretty tasty.

Tungstonia
2021-09-28, 02:34 PM
Yeah, it's always annoying to balance MCing and ASIs.

Hmm, depends on where you are at and what your character goals are. Raising CHA is going to be key if you are going to end up mostly Sorc, but a concentration feat might be more germane if you are usually using a concentration buff. What's your current stat array/ideal play style?

I primarily want to frontline and stay in melee as I'm really enjoying tanking and having the control options provided by the OotOS channel divinities. Thinking of crit fishing to some degree, since I got a boon at the start of our campaign that has the wording: "As a bonus action, you activate Survival Spirit for 1 minute. While active, each enemy you kill lowers your crit roll needed by 1 (minimum of 17). Also, once during survival spirit you can activate "by any means" which gives you +2 temp hp for each corpse within 10 ft of you. Reset 1 per rest

Christew
2021-09-28, 02:41 PM
I primarily want to frontline and stay in melee as I'm really enjoying tanking and having the control options provided by the OotOS channel divinities. Thinking of crit fishing to some degree, since I got a boon at the start of our campaign that has the wording: "As a bonus action, you activate Survival Spirit for 1 minute. While active, each enemy you kill lowers your crit roll needed by 1 (minimum of 17). Also, once during survival spirit you can activate "by any means" which gives you +2 temp hp for each corpse within 10 ft of you. Reset 1 per rest
Very cool ability. In that case, I would delay emphasizing CHA and for for Res(Con) or Warcaster. Just drop a concentration buff and wade into combat.