PDA

View Full Version : Mundane maneuver options

J-H
2021-09-28, 03:25 PM
This topic was inspired by some of the other threads. Using only base class features and feats, no spells, what options does a Fighter, Rogue, Barbarian, etc. have that impact or crowd control enemies other than attacking?

Shove - costs 1 attack from Attack action
Opposed Athletics check vs defender's Acrobatics/Athletics (defender's choice) to render enemy prone, or push them 5' into environmental hazards. Enemy must be within 1 size category.
Alternate path: Can Shove as a BA with Shield Master feat.

Disarm - costs 1 attack from Attack action, DMG 271
Optional rule
Opposed Athletics check vs defender's Acrobatics/Athletics (defender's choice). If successful, enemy drops the item. Attacker has disadvantage to disarm a 2-handed grip. Defender has advantage if bigger, or disadvantage if smaller.
Note: Free object interaction can be used to kick weapon away, or possibly pick it up.

Grapple - costs 1 attack from Attack action. Must have one hand empty.
Opposed Athletics check vs defender's Acrobatics/Athletics (defender's choice). If successful, target is grappled. Enemy must be no more than 1 size larger.
Grappler can move Grapplee.
Target's speed is 0. If it's a flier, it probably falls.
It costs the enemy's entire action to escape. It costs them 1 attack to try to counter-grapple.
There are no advantages/disadvantages to attacking a grappled target or having them attack you, unless specified in creature entry (ie constrictor snake).
Grappler feat means you have advantage on attack rolls against a target you are grappling.

Climb onto Bigger Creature
Optional rule
Size difference of 2 or greater (typically). Athletics or Acrobatics check to climb on, opposed by target's Acrobatics check. The climber is now clinging to the target's body (probably takes 1 hand like a grapple). It has advantage on attack rolls vs. target, and moves with the target. To dislodge the creature (knock off, grab & throw, scrape against a wall) with an Athletics check opposed by the rider's Athletics or Acrobatics check.

Mark
Optional rule
Free action. Until the end of the attacker's next turn, OAs against marked targets have advantage, and doesn't expend the attacker's reaction. Still only one OA per turn.

Shove Aside
Optional rule
As Shove, but the attacker has disadvantage on the Athletics check, and can shove the target to the side instead of directly away.

Feats:
Charger: If you dash, you get to make one attack, potentially with +5 to damage or a 10' shove.
Crusher: 5' push, no save, if target is no more than 1 size larger, on hit. Crits give advantage on attacks against the enemy.
Grappler: You can restrain a grappled enemy, but you are also restrained. Meh.
Mobile: Enemies you attack can't make OAs on you.
Poisoner: Apply poison as a bonus action. Can create a DC 14 poison that does 2d8 damage and inflicts poisoned status for 1 round.
PAM: Enemies entering range provoke OAs.
Sentinel: Reaction attack against enemies in range attacking someone else. Enemies leaving your threatened area cause OAs. OAs reduce target speed to 0.
Shield Master: Shove as a bonus action.
Skill Expert: Gain Expertise in a skill (relevant for Athletics)
Slasher: Once/turn, reduce a target's speed by 10'. On crit, target has disadvantage on attack rolls for a round.
Tavern Brawler: Enter grapple as a BA with unarmed strike.
Telekinetic: Bonus action shove at range.

Abracadangit
2021-09-28, 03:31 PM
If we're going to include the Disarm from the DMG, should we not also include Climb Onto a Bigger Creature, Mark, and other DMG Action Options? They don't deal damage per se, but they grant the user advantage in certain situations, or on certain kinds of attacks.

J-H
2021-09-28, 03:53 PM
I'm not familiar with those. It looks like climbing onto a big creature just says "treat it as terrain." I've called for an acrobatics or athletics check in that sort of circumstance.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-09-28, 04:32 PM
I'm not familiar with those. It looks like climbing onto a big creature just says "treat it as terrain." I've called for an acrobatics or athletics check in that sort of circumstance.

Climb on to another creature is

* Make an opposed check: STR (Athletics) or DEX (Acrobatics) (climber) vs DEX (Acrobatics) (climbed-on).
* If you succeed, you're on them until they take an action to try to knock you off (STR (Athletics) (creature) vs choice (climber).
* While you're on, you move with them and have advantage on attack rolls against it.

The halfling paladin in my current game has used this to tremendous advantage (pun intended). His basic flow against anything Large or larger is
1) have his summoned mount move him into position
2) climb aboard (which, note, most big creatures aren't the most dextrous, so he's got a really good chance)
3) beat the ever-living crap out of the monster. They can't easily dislodge him (both due to the action cost and the rolls involved), so basically he sits there and smacks them until they're dead.

It also makes a great way to deal with big flying things like dragons--hop aboard when they're low to the ground (maybe readying an action) and away you fly.

J-H
2021-09-28, 04:49 PM
Oh nice, thanks. I have added that.

da newt
2021-09-28, 05:40 PM
Pick pocket (slight of hand) is another 'thing that can be done'

I've always thought there ought to be a mechanic for putting manacles on someone, but I've never found a rule for the 'on' half - only for the 'off' side of things.

J-H
2021-09-28, 06:33 PM
I think there would be a first step of grappling or maybe even pinning someone first for that.

quindraco
2021-09-28, 06:40 PM
Since you're including Tasha's feats, you should include the shove from Telekinetic.

Mjolnirbear
2021-09-28, 07:13 PM
Not what OP requested, but some things D&D doesn't have but *should* are things like:

* locks, because arm locks and headlocks are a thing one does in combat, and restraining an enemy has multiple benefits
* choke holds, because incapacitating an enemy is something that is awesome and spellcasters have very little way to do this
* throw, which is basically shove 2.0 at the cost of no longer grappling them. Distance, strength, size, and walls all apply.
* feints, because combat is about deception sometimes. You're in it to win it, not to play fair.
* weak spot/evaluating. Because sometimes you wanna know just how tough that ogre is, or if something has a weakness. Because like with feinting, there's more to combat than muscles and metal.

(I've created houserules with all of these because I could not tolerate their absence. Most of them are merely expansions of grapple/shove)

Carlobrand
2021-09-28, 07:39 PM
On the subject of things the game doesn't have but should, I'd let medium-size creatures wielding thrusting type weapons stand two across a 5-foot square.

Abracadangit
2021-09-28, 07:46 PM
Not what OP requested, but some things D&D doesn't have but *should* are things like:

* locks, because arm locks and headlocks are a thing one does in combat, and restraining an enemy has multiple benefits
* choke holds, because incapacitating an enemy is something that is awesome and spellcasters have very little way to do this
* throw, which is basically shove 2.0 at the cost of no longer grappling them. Distance, strength, size, and walls all apply.
* feints, because combat is about deception sometimes. You're in it to win it, not to play fair.
* weak spot/evaluating. Because sometimes you wanna know just how tough that ogre is, or if something has a weakness. Because like with feinting, there's more to combat than muscles and metal.

(I've created houserules with all of these because I could not tolerate their absence. Most of them are merely expansions of grapple/shove)

It blows my mind there's no "Throw" option. No "Throw" option!

There's that whole other thread questioning the existence of Barbarians, and it's like... why can't Barbarians throw people? How can a class all about being huge and angry NOT allow you to throw people? It's crazy, is what it is.

Carlobrand
2021-09-28, 08:45 PM
It blows my mind there's no "Throw" option. No "Throw" option!

There's that whole other thread questioning the existence of Barbarians, and it's like... why can't Barbarians throw people? How can a class all about being huge and angry NOT allow you to throw people? It's crazy, is what it is.

Well, "Improvised weapon" does allow you to throw a dead goblin. Now all you need to do is talk your DM into letting you grapple and then throw a live one. :smallbiggrin:

J-H
2021-09-28, 09:04 PM
Sure, grapple, then make an Athletics check to determine the max range you can throw (probably 5' per 10 on your check). Improvised weapon (non-proficient) Strength-based attack for 1d4+str damage. The thrown party takes the same amount of damage.
I might look at allowing a Dex save to avoid it, similar to giant rock-throwing.