PDA

View Full Version : Cool weapon for lvl 17 party

Aaedimus
2021-09-28, 05:41 PM
Wanted to share a weapon my DM gave us. We're lvl 17 right now, and this is the sword that killed Mystra. (0 bonuses to hit or damage):

Outsider:

Longsword. Wondrous item, Artifact. Does not require attunement. Cannot be stored inside magic items, must be worn or otherwise carried. The item appears to be a steel longsword of average quality; the blade is darkened with splotches of dried blood.

The wielder exists outside causality and cannot be subject to manipulations of time. The wielder loses the ability to cast spells while holding the weapon; any active magical effects or magical items on the wielder are suppressed as if inside an antimagic field. The wielder can not benefit from magical healing or allied magic. The wielder can only be damaged or impaired by spells of 6th level or greater. The wielder has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects; a natural 20 on the saving throw reflects the spell at the original caster. The weapon ignores magical defenses like Shield or Mage Armor. This artifact may deal damage to sources of the weave. Any creature slain by this weapon, may not be revived by any means including Wish or Divine Intervention.

Segev
2021-09-28, 07:06 PM
Wanted to share a weapon my DM gave us. We're lvl 17 right now, and this is the sword that killed Mystra. (0 bonuses to hit or damage):

Outsider:

Longsword. Wondrous item, Artifact. Does not require attunement. Cannot be stored inside magic items, must be worn or otherwise carried. The item appears to be a steel longsword of average quality; the blade is darkened with splotches of dried blood.

The wielder exists outside causality and cannot be subject to manipulations of time. The wielder loses the ability to cast spells while holding the weapon; any active magical effects or magical items on the wielder are suppressed as if inside an antimagic field. The wielder can not benefit from magical healing or allied magic. The wielder can only be damaged or impaired by spells of 6th level or greater. The wielder has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects; a natural 20 on the saving throw reflects the spell at the original caster. The weapon ignores magical defenses like Shield or Mage Armor. This artifact may deal damage to sources of the weave. Any creature slain by this weapon, may not be revived by any means including Wish or Divine Intervention.

Seems a double-edged sword, no pun intended. It's going to limit your abilities to be buffed or healed, and it doesn't do much damage extra. It's mostly a plot tool, dangerous only to things that are of a particular kind of super-deadly.

JonBeowulf
2021-09-28, 07:39 PM
Most magic doesn't work... it affects both sides equally, so okay.

+0 to hit and 1d8/1d10 + STR_MOD damage... at level 17, no thanks.

Unless I'm missing something, all this has going for it is that it qualifies as a magic weapon to bypass immunity and doesn't require attunement. A Longsword +1 does that and it gets a +1 to hit and damage rolls.

I'd search for someone who wants it and trade for something that helps me apply the Dead condition.

Now, I'd be singing a completely different song if a hit with it dispelled all magical effects on the target.

Aaedimus
2021-09-28, 11:27 PM
Seems a double-edged sword, no pun intended. It's going to limit your abilities to be buffed or healed, and it doesn't do much damage extra. It's mostly a plot tool, dangerous only to things that are of a particular kind of super-deadly.

Exactly. The level 20 baddie is Halastar the Mad Mage, and he's literally tied himself into the weave, is being served by a living Wish spell, and has us trapped in a time loop Loki style (before Loki came out)

Aaedimus
2021-09-28, 11:34 PM
Most magic doesn't work... it affects both sides equally, so okay.

+0 to hit and 1d8/1d10 + STR_MOD damage... at level 17, no thanks.

Unless I'm missing something, all this has going for it is that it qualifies as a magic weapon to bypass immunity and doesn't require attunement. A Longsword +1 does that and it gets a +1 to hit and damage rolls.

I'd search for someone who wants it and trade for something that helps me apply the Dead condition.

Now, I'd be singing a completely different song if a hit with it dispelled all magical effects on the target.

It's a lot more than that a LOT more. It's a mix of a permanent antimagic field and a globe of invulnerability. It also allows the user to act while the Wizard has cast time stop. Makes you almost completely immune to magic, to the point where magic items used to hit you are considered nonmagical (really was hell trying to kill the leveled up pit fiend that we took it from)

noob
2021-09-29, 12:43 AM
It's a lot more than that a LOT more. It's a mix of a permanent antimagic field and a globe of invulnerability. It also allows the user to act while the Wizard has cast time stop. Makes you almost completely immune to magic, to the point where magic items used to hit you are considered nonmagical (really was hell trying to kill the leveled up pit fiend that we took it from)

How could it be used to kill a magic deity when it only gives advantage and reflect on natural twenties against high level spells?
The defensive effect is not very strong against high level spells.

Jerrykhor
2021-09-29, 12:44 AM
Sounds like the power of this weapon is that it gives the wielder plot armour.

Anymage
2021-09-29, 01:50 AM
One thing that immediately stands out to me is the ubercharger problem. You can do enough damage on a charge to kill anything in the game, but that doesn't matter if everything worth fighting at that point can fly out of reach or teleport to a safe distance. The sword does nothing against those. And as mentioned, against any enemy that is not built as a PClike, their AC isn't explicitly magical so you're likely better with a plain sword with a basic plus.

On top of that, there's the issue that the only hit point that matters is the last one (so a caster losing the fight can probably find a way to escape) and the fact that you don't know which party member will score the killing blow in a serious fight (so you don't know if your "cannot be brought back" clause will work on a given foe), and it's something to keep in one's backpack for when you need to execute a particularly dangerous enemy who's already been downed. Not your default weapon. Which seems awfully niche for a campaign critical artifact.

noob
2021-09-29, 05:52 AM

Outsider:

I suggest you rewrite it to the following:
Magic is banished from the fabric of reality by the sword: any magic happening in a 10 kilometers radius is cancelled entirely and anything magical that is in the area stops being magical forever and stops being able to contain magic.
Any deity hit by that sword is destroyed instantly(it is a touch attack).
Any magic that would change time fails to do anything about the area affected by the sword.
A magical creature that stops being magical loses its ability to use any movement speed other than its walking or swimming speed, stops existing if incorporeal, loses any magical abilities, see all their characteristics halved and if of a size category higher than huge they stop being able to move unless they are aquatic creatures and if not aquatic creatures they start taking damage over time(1d6 by category above huge per turn).
With all of those it would make a 0 magic party able to handle normal adventures and would justify the wielder of the sword being able to kill a deity because the previous iteration would never have given anyone the ability to kill a deity not even if wielded by a deity(that was how much of a handicap at deity killing it was).

togapika
2021-09-29, 11:04 AM
I suggest you rewrite it to the following:

"Wanted to share a weapon my DM gave us."

Not their prerogative to do so

J-H
2021-09-29, 11:53 AM
The magic item suppression, spell defense, etc. are only active when the wielder is holding the weapon. For a normal fight, he can use his +3 Battleaxe, but when they run up against the Evil Mage Academy, out comes the Mystra-slayer...and suddenly he's immune to most magical forms of attack.

Works for me.

Contrast
2021-09-29, 11:59 AM
Given that it doesnt require attunment it feels like the most powerful thing you can do with it is force it into the hands of enemy spellcasters.

DwarfFighter
2021-09-29, 01:14 PM
"Wanted to share a weapon my DM gave us."

Not their prerogative to do so

The rest of us, however...