PDA

View Full Version : The story of Codename: Morningstar, or the digital tools before D&D Beyond

jaappleton
2021-09-29, 02:27 PM
I've alluded to this numerous times over the years on these forums. And I'm finally going to say what happened.

It is a tale I know very intimately. How? Trust me, that's all I will say.

I am not now nor have I ever been an employee of WOTC, nor did I work for or with any of the companies or people involved.

To understand what happened to the original 5E digital toolset, we have to go back to the 4E toolset.

I will NOT state what happened with that toolset in this topic. What I will instead do is ask that you google "Joseph Batten WOTC". BEFORE YOU DO THAT, I must warn you: Its some dark stuff. Content warnings are quite necessary here. Its... grim. Alright? But if you want to know the real story, and honestly what exactly happened with 4th Edition, you should read it. Once you read it, you will likely feel like some missing pieces of the puzzle have finally clicked into place.

Continue reading once you have read about Joseph Batten & WOTC, if you have any interest in doing so.

I asked you to read up about that to gain an understanding not only of what in the world actually went down with 4E, but to give you an understanding of why WOTC may have been a bit hesitant to get a 5E toolset up and running immediately.

Now, to the story of what happened with the original 5E digital toolset.

-----

Trapdoor Technologies. It was a small, tiny outfit out of Colorado. Legitimately, filled with great people. I mean that. And that statement should be... telling. It should answer some questions, I'll put it that way. They wanted to create a digital toolset for 5E. Character creator, magic item compendium, the monster manual. Plans included going to an encounter builder, and then who knows what.

They created a Kickstarter. Before the OGL applied to 5E. The Kickstarter failed.

.....but it got WOTC attention. And not in a bad way. WOTC was interested, they met and Trapdoor showed them a demo. The two sides entered an agreement, and WOTC began funding for the project, with funding tied to development goals and milestones. Standard stuff, as far as funding and contracts go.

Primary focus was to get the app up and running on iPads. Android was an afterthought, with... maybe... not much of a priority... on web browser later down the line.

Trapdoor was showcased at Origins, where it was revealed as Codename: Morningstar. People loved what they saw in the iPad app. Exclusive closed beta sign ups were available.

Things were going fairly well on both sides for awhile.

In fact... This link still works. https://dnd.wizards.com/digital_tools?x=dnd/news/morningstar
WOTC no longer lists Morningstar, because it doesn't exist anymore. But you can how that link ends, right?

Development stalled with the app. The funding WOTC was giving wasn't enough to hire more programmers to ramp up development on the Android version, and the iOS development was going slower and slower because their staff was pulling double duty trying to get the Android version on par with iOS in time for the closed beta... and none on the term were well versed in anything Android. But they were trying like hell.

I didn't have an iPad at the time, but I did get into the Android beta.

......It was a disaster. Crashed constantly, nothing really worked, things didn't add together correctly, it was a mess. It was a real mess. This never should have been shown in any sort of Beta, this was pre-alpha level stuff.

I saw the iPad footage. It was decent. A bit elementary, compared to some of the character builders now like Beyond and FantasyGrounds. But it worked! Didn't quite have everything just yet, as it was indeed Beta, but it showed promise.

However... This was in early 2015 or so? iPads weren't cheap. Lots more had Android, as far as tablets go. So, Android is what more people saw. And what they saw was rough. People immediately wrote it off, and I don't blame them one bit. Milestones weren't being reached in development, and funding became scarce.

WOTC, however, still wanted the project.

WOTC, however, did not want Trapdoor.

In development, there's a term called 'gold discs'. The raw code. The master disc. The original copy. The one ring, Frodo. It wasn't part of the initial agreement, but WOTC wanted the gold discs. Trapdoor didn't want to part with them, instead wanting additional funding to complete the project.

Neither side budged.

Guess which side had a lot more money in the bank to keep going?

So Codename: Morningstar... died. And people lost their jobs as Trapdoor fizzled and went under.

WOTC never got the gold discs.

A few months later, WOTC and Curse (a subsidiary of Twitch) entered an agreement for what would become known as D&D Beyond... and the rest is history.

Trapdoor had bitten off way more than they could chew. That's just a fact.

Simultaneously, I believe WOTC had set some unrealistic goal expectations as to how much time was needed for a project like this, and how much funding it would need.

It was bad management from both sides, in my opinion.

Ralanr
2021-09-29, 02:50 PM
Unrealistic goal expectation seems to go hand in hand with WOTC whenever they try to branch outside their element.

Magic Legends? Flopped hard in Beta and was canceled.

Dark Alliance 3? Well, it's just another generic loot grind game.

Am I picking and choosing? A bit, but the point I'm trying to make is that WOTC just seems to have bad luck with these deals (and maybe poor management, idk). I'm amazed that Baldur's Gate 3 has the reception it has, but given the actual people behind it, it shouldn't be that surprising.

On one hand, I don't want to tell WOTC to just stay in their lane because stagnation is death. On the other, well they need to better learn how to manage stuff or get better partners when working with new products for their IP.

Kane0
2021-09-29, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the story! You are truly a gem of knowledge around here mate.

Edit: oh I would encourage people to try Solasta: Crown of the Magister if looking for a 5e PC game. Uses OGL and is very faithful to the ruleset.

jaappleton
2021-09-29, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the story! You are truly a gem of knowledge around here mate.

Edit: oh I would encourage people to try Solasta: Crown of the Magister if lookkng for a 5e game. Uses OGL and is very faithful to the ruleset.

I've heard nothing but good things about Solasta.

Telok
2021-09-29, 10:37 PM
Yeah. I was on a bespoke code project that was billed by a small enthusiastic compant as 2mil and 2 years but went to 4 years and partial payment after... issues... resulted in full rewrites, 120% management and coder turnover, and other stuff.

What I learned from everything, and some personal app development, was that you want to have a half working code base before anything else. And other critical things like putting the developers and subject matter experts togather, that the managers aren't those people, in fact you may want to put the party faces between the managers. But get something that works first, then you can pretty it up or convert it.

Oh, and if you change the requirements part way through (or "clarify" them in a way that makes a developer groan) you're going over budget and time, no matter how generous you thought the original amounts were.

Hael
2021-09-29, 11:58 PM
Oh, and if you change the requirements part way through (or "clarify" them in a way that makes a developer groan) you're going over budget and time, no matter how generous you thought the original amounts were.

That's the big killer 95% of the time. Some suit comes in with focus group data on some market direction, and wants to incorporate it into an existing project.

Design choices that were made on day 1 are now broken, spaghetti code to patch it up ensues, and one thing after another unexpectedly breaks.

Most people learned this mistake back in the 2ks, but it shows up in various 'hidden' guises all the time.

Oramac
2021-09-30, 12:16 AM
Snip

It was bad management from both sides, in my opinion.

Thank you for sharing! This whole thing absolutely reeks of The Phoenix Project. Kinda makes me wish some of the WOTC/Trapdoor management team had read the book way back then. But that was back in the infancy of the agile movement and such, so I guess it's not terribly surprising. Really really unfortunate and disappointing though.

J-H
2021-09-30, 07:45 AM
Something like 75% of all corporate IT projects go substantially over budget and late, if successful at all. This appears to have been one of them.

Atranen
2021-09-30, 12:40 PM
Thanks for sharing! This is a fascinating story.

jaappleton
2021-09-30, 01:21 PM
Thanks for sharing! This is a fascinating story.

As far as interesting, I kind of wish I had some saucier details, to be brutally honest.

Its a fairly mundane tale of what happens all the time in the software industry. This one just happens to be one I know the details of, told to me by numerous parties, in a hobby we all care about.

Leon
2021-10-01, 06:41 AM
Well least they managed to keep the source code out of WotCs hands

Arkhios
2021-10-01, 12:16 PM
Based on what I just read (very enlightening, I must add!), I find it very hard to shake off the feeling that you're intimately connected with someone who worked with Trapdoor 🤔

Aaanywho, I can see now why the insider just... stopped getting updates. And I can almost feel how WOTC panicked because of the tidal waves.

jaappleton
2021-10-01, 01:06 PM
Based on what I just read (very enlightening, I must add!), I find it very hard to shake off the feeling that you're intimately connected with someone who worked with Trapdoor 🤔

Aaanywho, I can see now why the insider just... stopped getting updates. And I can almost feel how WOTC panicked because of the tidal waves.

Emphasis mine.

No comment on the first part, I'm happily married.

Almost nobody knows about the Joseph Batten / WOTC stuff with 4E. And whenever someone finds out, it really is like a "HOLY HELL IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW" moment.

Arkhios
2021-10-01, 04:13 PM
Almost nobody knows about the Joseph Batten / WOTC stuff with 4E. And whenever someone finds out, it really is like a "HOLY HELL IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW" moment.

I know I've heard the name before, but couldn't pinpoint where. But, yes, very much so.