PDA

View Full Version : At will Warlock teleport for 8 hours

Talionis
2021-09-29, 09:58 PM
I think this works. Warlock takes Relentless Hex along with Sign of Ill Omen, when Sign of Ill Omen is cast with a 5th level slot there is no concentration necessary. Target a familiar or someone else’s with the Beatow Curse that provides disadvantage on attacks to you. Then as a bonus action you can relentless hex teleport 30 feet next to your familiar/companion. At high levels you can add Witch Sight to see your invisible familiar.

I guess you can do the same with Hex, but Hex requires concentration.

Christew
2021-09-29, 10:07 PM
I think this works. Warlock takes Relentless Hex along with Sign of Ill Omen, when Sign of Ill Omen is cast with a 5th level slot there is no concentration necessary. Target a familiar or someone else’s with the Beatow Curse that provides disadvantage on attacks to you. Then as a bonus action you can relentless hex teleport 30 feet next to your familiar/companion. At high levels you can add Witch Sight to see your invisible familiar.

I guess you can do the same with Hex, but Hex requires concentration.
Seems like it works to me. Pretty steep opportunity cost, but could definitely be a useful gimmick for some tier 3 warlock builds.

Greywander
2021-09-29, 10:19 PM
Seems like it works to me. Pretty steep opportunity cost, but could definitely be a useful gimmick for some tier 3 warlock builds.
Do keep in mind that Bestow Curse has other uses as well. It's a touch spell, too, so you can deliver it through your familiar. And all it takes is an hour nap and you get the spell slot back.

Would I normally spend two invocations on Relentless Hex and Sign of Ill Omen? Probably not. But it's a decent combo if you do.

Might as well pick up Maddening Hex while you're at it. Have your familiar deliver the curse, then you can slowly kill your target over the next 8 hours, even while standing next to them, with no one the wiser.

You know, this could actually be a fun build to play.

Edit: Some other things about Maddening Hex that are worth pointing out: You need to be within 30 feet of your target and be able to see them, but since it's a BA, you can use your action to see through your familiar's senses. You'll still need to be within 30 feet, but you could be on the other side of a wall, as long as your familiar can see them. Maddening Hex can also damage creatures of your choice within 5 feet of the target, allowing you to take down more than one creature. You could also curse one target and then use them to assassinate a different target (if they have less HP than the cursed target), possibly framing them for the murder. In combat, you can use it as a weak AoE without interfering with EB, since it's a BA.

Christew
2021-10-01, 11:26 AM
Do keep in mind that Bestow Curse has other uses as well. It's a touch spell, too, so you can deliver it through your familiar. And all it takes is an hour nap and you get the spell slot back.
Of course. My point was more that a lot of Warlock builds are fairly invocation intensive, so this gimmick requiring two invocations may make it unfeasible on some builds.

Burley
2021-10-01, 12:09 PM
I'm not able to look up all the specifics, but could you just Bestow Curse on yourself? If so, would that not be an easier 'port opp'?

Christew
2021-10-01, 12:17 PM
I'm not able to look up all the specifics, but could you just Bestow Curse on yourself? If so, would that not be an easier 'port opp'?
I guess you could cast Bestow Curse on yourself (touch creature), might be some issues with the sight requirement of Relentless Hex. More of an issue though, this would at best grant you a 5ft teleport whereas the familiar would be up to 30ft depending on positioning.

cyberfunkr
2021-10-02, 12:04 PM
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

What would be the benefit of this? On the familiar's turn, they walk/crawl/slither/fly 30 feet, then on your turn you teleport 30 feet.

For the cost of:
* Being a Pact of the Chain for Find Familiar (Or a Feat for Magic Initiate)
* Sacrificing your familiar in leading the charge or where you want to appear
* Using two of your Invocations
* A spell slot

You're now the equivalent of a Wizard with Misty Step as part of their Spell Mastery (except they don't have to sacrifice anything to get that).

I'm not see a big draw as to the WHY.

Talionis
2021-10-02, 12:38 PM
It’s a large investment for a mediocre reward. But you don’t risk your familiar much if it’s invisible. If You were taking some of these invocations anyway the cost gets reduced. In a lot of ways it could be useful as almost like a weaker freedom of movement. But you did just compare it to a level 18 ability and this could come online much earlier. And I could see people enjoying the odd combination.

Greywander
2021-10-02, 04:21 PM
What would be the benefit of this? On the familiar's turn, they walk/crawl/slither/fly 30 feet, then on your turn you teleport 30 feet.
There's a few different ways you could use this, and probably more I haven't thought of yet.

You can teleport through walls. Have your familiar shapechange into a spider or something and crawl under a door, or through a crack, or whatever, scope out the room, then teleport inside.
Have your familiar navigate past a dangerous trap. If they die, better them than you. If they don't, safely teleport past all the hazards.
Use it to reach high ledges or other out-of-reach spots that you couldn't just walk to. Can save you a spell slot for Fly, or a difficult climb check.
Have your familiar hang back in combat, and if you get surrounded or otherwise need to relocate, teleport away.

For the cost of:
* Being a Pact of the Chain for Find Familiar (Or a Feat for Magic Initiate)
Pact of the Chain is my favorite pact anyway, though if you had a different pact in mind for your character it does make it tricky for you.

* Sacrificing your familiar in leading the charge or where you want to appear
Better them than you.

* Using two of your Invocations
* A spell slot
My takeaway from this is not that this is a useless feature, but (especially considering the awkwardness of it, seeing as you need to curse your familiar) that this should be a standalone invocation for Pact of the Chain specifically. Just a BA teleport to your familiar. Alternatively, one idea I had a while back for an invocation was to swap places with your familiar, which has it's own interesting nuances. If you're switching out of danger, then your familiar will then be in danger. On the other hand, by switching places, you can easily switch back at any time.

One thing I was wondering about was what would constitute a "curse" for both Relentless and Maddening Hex? Both invocations specifically call out the Hex spell or a warlock feature, with Hexblade's Curse and Sign of Ill Omen as examples. But what if you were to multiclass to get Bestow Curse? Well, then it's not a warlock spell, and therefore definitely not a warlock feature. Would it still work? RAW, probably not. Should it? I'd say yes, but you might think differently. There's also one of the Ravnica backgrounds that adds Bestow Curse to your spell list; would that count? It would be a warlock spell, but is that the same as being a warlock feature? RAW is a bit more ambiguous here.

Kane0
2021-10-03, 04:35 PM
Just get into your genie pokeball and have someone throw you where you need to be, or have your familiar carry you.
Its only once per day but you can do it at level 1.