PDA

View Full Version : The (new) Monk

Tyrolin
2007-11-16, 05:52 PM
This is a little something I cooked up last night, and I though I'd share it and see what everyone else thought.
The monk gains speed bonuses as in the PHB.
{table]Level | Special
1 | Unarmed Strike, training, flurry of blows (as phb) AC bonus(as phb)
2 | Evasion
3 | Uncanny Dodge
4 | Ki strike(magic), training
5 | Flurry (as phb)
6 |
7 | Improved Uncanny dodge, training
8 | ki strike (alignment)
9 | Greater Flurry (as phb), shunpo(20)
10 | Improved Evasion, training
11 | Shunpo(40)
12 | Ki Strike(adamantine)
13 | training, shunpo(80)
14 |
15 | shunpo(160)
16 | training
17 | Shunpo(320)
18 |
19 | Training, shunpo(640)
20 |[/table]

Tyrolin
2007-11-16, 06:03 PM
The training ability allows the monk to select a discipline from among the following : Weapon Monk, Combat Monk, Magic Monk, Skill Monk, and Grapple Monk.

Each discipline has four levels that increase when you select that discipline as one of your training special abilities. You always begin at the first level for any discipline when you select it for the first time.

Abilities:
Weapon monk(ex): Chosen weapon and +1 to attack with that weapon : Ki channeling : Natural Weapon : Unarmed Damage

Combat monk(ex): (Greater) improved trip : (Greater) improved disarm : (Greater) improved sunder : (Greater) improved bull rush : special: these can be taken in any order, IE, you could take bull rush first, followed by trip, then sunder, ect.

Magic monk(su): Chosen Energy +1d6 damage for next attack : energy type immunity : 2 attacks per charge : energy damage equals your unarmed damage or 1d6, whichever is higher: special: you use stunning attempts to activate these special abilities.

Skill monk(ex): Expanded skill selection : Bonus skill points (+1/monk level) : Skill mastery and wise skills : Skill max cap +2/+1, bonus skill points (+1/monk level, in addition to other bonus points)

Grapple Monk(ex): (Greater) improved grapple : Grapple Master(1) : Throw : Improved grab

Woot Spitum
2007-11-16, 06:07 PM
What is Shunpo?

Tyrolin
2007-11-16, 06:23 PM
Abilities Explained

Weapon Monk:
chosen weapon: The monk chooses one weapon he is proficient with. that weapon is now his chosen weapon. the +1 to attack stacks with weapon focus.

Ki channeling: the monk can use his chosen weapon to preform any of the magic monk abilities, stunning fist, or any other monk ability he could normally only do with his hands

Natural weapon: the monk's chosen weapon is considered a natural weapon for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction

Unarmed damage: the monk's chosen weapon can do damage equal to his unarmed damage. This ability costs 1 stunning attempt and lasts for 1 round.

Combat Monk:
If a monk gaining any of these abilities has or later gains the feet they are named for, they instead gain Greater____, which gives them an additional +6 bonus on their attempts

Magic Monk:
Energy type: the monk chooses an energy type(positive, negative, fire, cold, electricity, sonic). After activating this ability(as a free action) the monk gains +1d6 to his next attack. At level three, the ability instead lasts for two attacks per charge.

Energy type immunity: as an immediate action, the monk can activate this ability and gain immunity from his chosen energy type for 1 round

Unarmed damage: the damage your energy type deals increases to match your unarmed damage or 1d10, whichever is higher

Skill monk:
Expanded skill selection : the monk gains one skill not on his class skill list as a class skill.

Bonus skill points: the monk gains 1 skill point per monk level, and one addition skill point each time he gains a level of monk. At level four the monk gains an additional skill point from this ability

Skill mastery : as the rogue ability

Wise skills : the monk can add his wisdom modifier to any skill attempt he makes as long as he has ranks in that skill

Skill Max cap +2/+1: the monks skill max for class skills increases to his level increases by 2, and his max for cross class skills increases by 1.

Grapple Monk:
(Greater) improved grapple : see combat monk

Grapple Master : the monk is treated as one size category larger when grappling if being one size category larger would be helpful

Throw: the monk can make a grapple check to throw an opponent. After an opposed grapple check, if the monk wins, the monk may hurl an opponent in any direction for 1 square per point he won by (minimum one) up to a maximum number of squares equal to his strength modifier. If the opponent hits a wall or something else, both the opponent and the object take 1d6 points of damage per square the opponent didn't move.

Improved Grab: any time the monk hits with his natural attack, he can start a grapple as a free action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.

Shunpo: the monk may move any distance up to his maximum speed or his maximum shunpo distance (given in the table), whichever is lower. He does this as a move action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. He may also move through opponents as if they weren't there. Essentially it is like a dimension door that you can act normally after.

Ki strike(your alignment) is changed from ki strike(lawful) because this monk can be any alignment, reflecting that a monk can focus on himself and his training despite his dislike for following 'the rules of society'

Any thoughts? questions? errors found?..........anything at all?

Enlong
2007-11-16, 09:09 PM
I would like to point out that the class should probably have something nice at 20th level, some reason to take it all the way.

Tyrolin
2007-11-16, 09:16 PM
I'm open to suggestions for the dead levels, though I think it may be slightly too powerful now anyway.

jindra34
2007-11-16, 09:18 PM
640 ft as a move action? holy crap that has to be broken.

Tyrolin
2007-11-16, 10:02 PM
Aha! good catch jindra. I forgot to add in the "whichever is lower". Fixed as of 30 seconds from now

jindra34
2007-11-16, 10:04 PM
Aha! good catch jindra. I forgot to add in the "whichever is lower". Fixed as of 30 seconds from now
Ok... now its rather useless...

Tyrolin
2007-11-18, 02:49 PM
Oh... forgot the speed bonus. haha, fixed.