PDA

View Full Version : Warmage Spell Help

WeaselGuy
2021-09-30, 11:48 AM
So, in theorycrafting out a Warmage going into Rainbow Servant, the capstone for RS gives access to the Cleric Spell list. Disregarding anything else about the build, other than the fact that this character is a NG Human follower of Deneir, would this character be able to cast cleric spells with the [Evil] descriptor? I know that Clerics cannot cast spells opposed to their alignment, but this character isn't a Cleric, they just have access to Cleric spells. Thank you.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-09-30, 12:00 PM
IIRC, casting an [evil] spell is an Evil act, and (theoretically) pushes your alignment southwards with repeated applications.

Darg
2021-09-30, 01:06 PM
IIRC, casting an [evil] spell is an Evil act, and (theoretically) pushes your alignment southwards with repeated applications.

Conversely, good spells push you into being good.

OP, a cleric is limited but others with just access to the spell list is not. An archivist is able to learn and cast any cleric spell for example.

I personally have reservations on whether a warmage is actually able to cast spells from the cleric spell access as the spells aren't added to the warmage spell list (same for beguiler), but that's not here or there.

WeaselGuy
2021-09-30, 01:24 PM
Conversely, good spells push you into being good.

OP, a cleric is limited but others with just access to the spell list is not. An archivist is able to learn and cast any cleric spell for example.

I personally have reservations on whether a warmage is actually able to cast spells from the cleric spell access as the spells aren't added to the warmage spell list (same for beguiler), but that's not here or there.

"Cleric Spell Access: A 10th-level rainbow servant can learn and cast spells from the cleric list, even if they don’t appear on the lists of any spellcasting class he has. Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don’t appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists. This class feature grants access to the spells, but not extra spells per day. The 10th-level rainbow servant can likewise read scrolls with cleric spells on them and use wands and staffs that contain cleric spells."

Seems pretty straight forward to me...

Darg
2021-09-30, 06:47 PM
"Cleric Spell Access: A 10th-level rainbow servant can learn and cast spells from the cleric list, even if they don’t appear on the lists of any spellcasting class he has. Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don’t appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists. This class feature grants access to the spells, but not extra spells per day. The 10th-level rainbow servant can likewise read scrolls with cleric spells on them and use wands and staffs that contain cleric spells."

Seems pretty straight forward to me...

"Learn and cast" seems straight forward to me. A wizard still has to write them to their spell book, a sorcerer still has to give up a spell known for them, and a warmage has to find a way to add them to their spell list to be a known spell. It's a separate list from the warmage list and the ability only gives you permission to learn and cast them. It doesn't say anything about combining the lists. The addition of casting spells as divine spells if there isn't an arcane alternative is another obvious clue because when you add a divine only spell to an arcane list it becomes an arcane spell and vice versa.

I don't want to tell you or your group how to play. Just wanted to point out the inconsistency of something you might not have noticed. My groups use the pre-made PRCs as templates for customized PRCs so it is perfectly valid for it to be interpreted in the way you have already if it works for the group.

animewatcha
2021-10-01, 08:45 PM
Part of what plays in that warmage thing is that warmage automatically knows 'and cast' spells of their class list of spell levels that have access to. Like 4th level warmage automatically 'knows' all his 2nd level spells of his class list.