PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing for simplicity and combat effectiveness

Borria
2021-09-30, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

Many of the optimized builds I see here are obviously full casters. Even martials often involve battlmaster maneuvers, some combination of melee and ranged effectiveness, or heavy use of appropriate positioning and area denial. I imagine that a lot of new players that look to play an optimized build, or even experienced players playing their first min-maxed character don't actually get the full value of the build - either by preparing the wrong spells, simply forgetting parts of the PC's kit, or messing up the tactics in combat. So, I ask you all, what character build is the pinnacle of both optimized DPR and ease of execution?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Abracadangit
2021-09-30, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

Many of the optimized builds I see here are obviously full casters. Even martials often involve battlmaster maneuvers, some combination of melee and ranged effectiveness, or heavy use of appropriate positioning and area denial. I imagine that a lot of new players that look to play an optimized build, or even experienced players playing their first min-maxed character don't actually get the full value of the build - either by preparing the wrong spells, simply forgetting parts of the PC's kit, or messing up the tactics in combat. So, I ask you all, what character build is the pinnacle of both optimized DPR and ease of execution?

I'm partial to Genie Warlock + Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast invocation, but I'm also not very good at optimizing. I imagine lots of other folks here have way more effective and zanier builds.

Edit: Plus Hex!

J-H
2021-09-30, 09:19 PM
GWM Zealot barbarian: Relevant damage at all levels, very tanky, very hard to kill at high levels.

Frogreaver
2021-09-30, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

Simplest I can think of really is SS+CBE Battlemaster Fighter

Playstyle is simple. Always use -5/+10. Only maneuver you care about is precision attack. When you think you missed by 3-4 or under use precision attack. Action Surge as desired.

Christew
2021-09-30, 11:00 PM
Simplest I can think of really is SS+CBE Battlemaster Fighter

Playstyle is simple. Always use -5/+10. Only maneuver you care about is precision attack. When you think you missed by 3-4 or under use precision attack. Action Surge as desired.
This. You don't even have to worry about ranged/melee. Just apply bolts until all enemies stop moving.

strangebloke
2021-10-01, 03:53 PM
Depends if you mean simple to play or simple to build.

GWM Barbarians are the king at low levels. Always use GWM, always reckless attack, always kill. You take a lot of damage but this is mitigated (somewhat) by rage. You will have great DPR except when you can't hit, which is a rarity. The problems barbarians run into com down to how poorly their abilities scale into the late game, but if you think this campaign is going to end before level 8 that doesn't really matter.

For a little more complexity/high level potential, I'm a huge fan of the barbarogue. Take Barbarian to level 5 or 6, then get out and go rogue for the rest of the game. Use shortswords and fight with a weapon in each hand so you can double up on rage damage. You get sneak attack too, and you can use reckless attack to activate it. You can also bonus action dash (because you're also a barbarian, you're even speedier than an average rogue) to chase down enemies and ensure you always get into melee. You're hyper accurate and so you always hit. You have expertise and lots of strong options. You also can get resistance from rage and then cut the damage taken in half again with uncanny dodge. 23 damage becomes 11 becomes 5. It's insane, and you can do this with any rogue/barbarian subclass combination.

Is it up there in raw DPR? Not quite. But you'll be insanely durable and mobile and you'll have loads of out-of-combat utility. In combat you can just do whatever because realistically nobody can do anything to you.

stoutstien
2021-10-01, 04:02 PM
I really wish the brute fighter saw final production. I think there is a large market for a simple and effective option for players and that one was the closest.

da newt
2021-10-01, 04:58 PM
Vengeance Paladins can be simple and effective especially w/ PAM for the extra attacks/smite opportunities.

Man_Over_Game
2021-10-01, 05:35 PM
Soulknife Rogue, 2 levels into Fighter and picking up a fighting style from a feat.

With both the Thrown Weapon and Duelist fighting styles, that's +4 damage per attack, 2 attacks with 60 foot range per turn with no needed resources. With a +4 mod, you're looking at about 24 damage per turn before considering Sneak Attack or your Action Surge, and you don't even need a magic weapon.

It's a build that requires some finesse to make, but basically wins fights for you without having to ever think once the character sheet is written up, and it doesn't really play any different or worse at lower levels.

Ir0ns0ul
2021-10-01, 06:13 PM
I cannot think of something more powerful and straightforward than a GWM Berserker Barbarian.

Exhaustion is tough, but you can handle 1 or 2 levels.

At level 6 you are immune to Charm and Frighten, which are common weaknesses of martial melee warriors.

Simple, effective and you just need to carefully manage your power. You don’t need to activate Frenzy every time you rage.

Frogreaver
2021-10-02, 05:59 AM
Depends if you mean simple to play or simple to build.

GWM Barbarians are the king at low levels. Always use GWM, always reckless attack, always kill. You take a lot of damage but this is mitigated (somewhat) by rage. You will have great DPR except when you can't hit, which is a rarity. The problems barbarians run into com down to how poorly their abilities scale into the late game, but if you think this campaign is going to end before level 8 that doesn't really matter.

The downside to GWM Barbarians is you have to be mindful about target AC, as too much AC means you actually lose significant damage on the -5/+10. That's not necessarily simple to play.

For a little more complexity/high level potential, I'm a huge fan of the barbarogue. Take Barbarian to level 5 or 6, then get out and go rogue for the rest of the game. Use shortswords and fight with a weapon in each hand so you can double up on rage damage. You get sneak attack too, and you can use reckless attack to activate it. You can also bonus action dash (because you're also a barbarian, you're even speedier than an average rogue) to chase down enemies and ensure you always get into melee. You're hyper accurate and so you always hit. You have expertise and lots of strong options. You also can get resistance from rage and then cut the damage taken in half again with uncanny dodge. 23 damage becomes 11 becomes 5. It's insane, and you can do this with any rogue/barbarian subclass combination.

Is it up there in raw DPR? Not quite. But you'll be insanely durable and mobile and you'll have loads of out-of-combat utility. In combat you can just do whatever because realistically nobody can do anything to you.

I 2nd any recommendations for Barbarian Rogues. Incredibly fun character to play.