PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Low ECL Devils (leadership)

Yogibear41
2021-10-01, 02:40 AM
Have a Half-Devil Anti-Paladin who I plan on taking the leadership feat with and I would like to have a decent number of his followers be low ranking devils and such.
To my knowledge 1st party is pretty limited with low ECL outsiders with most having high Level adjustments so I am willing to go 3rd party to find some low ECL devils for followers. So far I have found the Herlekin (ECL 4th) and Knocker (ECL 2nd) from Green Ronin's book of Fiends which will both work nicely. I was hoping however that there might be some weaker ECL 1 outsider out there I could use, or perhaps an alternative to get me some decent low level followers that fit thematically. Lesser Tieflings are always a thing, but just want to explore any other options.

ShurikVch
2021-10-01, 09:21 AM
AFAIK, the lowest Baatezu are:
Advespa (Monster Manual II): 4 HD, LA +4;
Legion Devil (Fiendish Codex II): 3 HD, LA +5;
Imp (Savage Species): 3 HD, LA +4;
and Lemure (Dragon #293): 2 HD, LA +2 - if you fix the "Int -" (somehow)

Hell Hound is 4 HD and LA +3
Durzagon (Monster Manual II) is a Half-Devil Duergar: 5 HD, LA +3
Night-Born Rider (https://web.archive.org/web/20060224195555/http://home.gwi.net/~rdorman/frilond/rul/dm/nightrider.htm) is 4 HD and LA +1
Also, Petitioners from Manual of the Planes are LA +0...

Finally, how about Fiendish Creatures?

Carecalmo
2021-10-01, 09:50 AM
Maybe you can trick some human out of their soul and get a Warlock follower. Have them grow gaunter and paler as you gain levels and grow in power.

Be ready for an inevitable betrayal (or set them up to start a cult at some point, teach them to drain other people's soul for a fun pyramid scheme)

Dalmosh
2021-10-02, 06:28 PM
Savage Species allows you to play powered down versions of monsters with lower ECL of your choice, through monster classes.
Devil choices are Imp, Kyton and Hamatula.

Kyton is updated in Planar Handbook.

As PCs, most of these classes are usually unusably weak, but they can still make passable and thematically appropriate Followers. Lowered HD Outsiders isn't particularly lore friendly though, so you might need an in-universe reason why these devils are so weak, and don't advance normally through Promotion from form to form.

Rebel7284
2021-10-02, 09:23 PM
Kaorti are similar to devils, I think, and can make some pretty awesome weapons with Kaorti resin. 2HD 2LA if I recall correctly. Very handy evil outsiders to have around.

Tzardok
2021-10-03, 03:15 AM
Kaorti are Far Realms stuff. They don't fit the flavour of the character.

Thurbane
2021-10-04, 09:34 PM
According to FC2 p.158, the Harankin (FF) is considered a Devil, and is LA +3 (with 4RHD).

FC2 also lists the Marrash (MM2) as a Devil, and it was assigned LA +6 in the 3.5 update (but with 7RHD and LA +6, isn't exactly low level cohort wise).

Not technically a Devil, but Maeluth (FF) is a (usually) LE Planetouched, LA +1. It's descended from Dwarves and Devils.

If you are open to 3rd party, you might also be open to the ECLs that have been assigned on our very own forum?