PDA

View Full Version : Warforged questions, and a weird idea for an origin story

Skyrender
2021-10-01, 12:30 PM
I was watching an old video of some guys playing through Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, where one of the dead PCs came back later on as a zombie cyborg type of thing, reanimated by the medical facility in which he had dropped dead. That got me thinking about a similar event being the origin story of a newly-minted warforged character in a non-Eberron campaign setting. I'm thinking of calling the original character Mark, and thus the warforged would be... Mk II.

Bad jokes aside, I was going back through the stuff for warforged and found the reforged PrC in Races of Eberron. In the case of Mk II, this could represent the character trying his best to remember his past life, reconnect with his humanity, and/or trying to divest himself of the implants and stuff. Most of the items in the reforged description look straightforward, until you get to the class's capstone. You lose all worforged feats you possess, and the ability to use warforged components (which immediately deactivate and detach). You then get Unarmored Body as a bonus feat, as well as an additional number of bonus feats equal to the number of warforged feats you lost. These bonus feats can be chosen from any feats you currently qualify for.

My question is this: do you think you could take warforged feats (perhaps even the same warforged feats you just lost) as part of this reassignment? There's no wording that indicates otherwise, but there seems to be a distinct intention that you're trying to move away from the original nature of the character (or at least the construct creature type).

Kuulvheysoon
2021-10-01, 12:37 PM
All of the warforged body feats like Adamantine Body and the like have the "1st level only" requirement, which you wouldn't qualify for. Your bonus Unarmored Body feat is a specific exception to that rule (it literally calls out ignoring the "1st level only" prerequisite), but it provides no further exceptions for the granted bonus feats.

ShurikVch
2021-10-01, 01:20 PM
My question is this: do you think you could take warforged feats (perhaps even the same warforged feats you just lost) as part of this reassignment? There's no wording that indicates otherwise, but there seems to be a distinct intention that you're trying to move away from the original nature of the character (or at least the construct creature type).
It may be considered a "bad RP", but mechanically - yes, you can
Moreover: even if somebody cast Incarnate Construct on you - you still will be able to pick warforged feats (despite being Humanoid) because Incarnate Construct is neither change your race, nor removes subtypes (thus - you're still of Warforged race and with Living Construct subtype)

All of the warforged body feats like Adamantine Body and the like have the "1st level only" requirement, which you wouldn't qualify for. Your bonus Unarmored Body feat is a specific exception to that rule (it literally calls out ignoring the "1st level only" prerequisite), but it provides no further exceptions for the granted bonus feats.
Not all of [warforged] feats required 1st level (some of them are, actually, can't be taken at 1st lvl because of BAB prerequisites)
All of those feat can be taken after the 1st level:

Brute Fighting
Cold Iron Tracery
Construct Lock
Improved Damage Reduction
Improved Fortification
Improved Resiliency
Jaws of Death
Overload Metabolism
Second Slam
Shocking Fist
Silver Tracery
Spiked Body

Kuulvheysoon
2021-10-01, 01:38 PM
Not all of [warforged] feats required 1st level (some of them are, actually, can't be taken at 1st lvl because of BAB prerequisites)
All of those feat can be taken after the 1st level:

Brute Fighting
Cold Iron Tracery
Construct Lock
Improved Damage Reduction
Improved Fortification
Improved Resiliency
Jaws of Death
Overload Metabolism
Second Slam
Shocking Fist
Silver Tracery
Spiked Body

Fair enough, I should have been more specific. I was grouping the body material replacement feats together when I said "Adamantine Body and the like", because they're the most interesting/iconic of the series of [warforged] feats, and the only ones that I was considering when I responded.

And all of those require 1st level.

Unarmored Body doesn't replace your construct body with a fleshy one, it just removes your plating, so while it's a little odd for you to take that final level if taking them all again was your intent, there's nothing stopping you from doing so (besides the exception above).

Skyrender
2021-10-01, 01:44 PM
Oops! You missed Wand Bonding from City of Stormreach.