PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Classes

MrCharlie
2021-10-01, 02:48 PM
Hey y'all, I'm looking for some advice and suggestions.

I'm currently toying with the idea of homebrewing "hybrid" classes for 5e, the basic idea being to condense certain multiclasses which are unwieldly, popular, or powerful, with the goal of creating a more streamlined class that accomplishes the "goals" of that multiclass. For a full list of design goals, I'm trying to-

1. Add an alternative to multiclassing that preserves the feel of the multiclass.

2. Make the process of leveling simpler compared to multiclassing those characters.

3. Help revive cool ideas that don't work with 5e's mechanics, without being overpowered or bypassing the limitations of this multiclass entirely.

For an example of a couple ideas I've had, my plans were to implement a Wizard/Cleric hybrid themed like a Mystic Thurge that leveled as a half-caster, a Rogue/Fighter hybrid themed around popular swashbuckler/battlemaster builds, and some sort of Paladin or Fighter/Sorcerer hybrid (I might call it a Dragon Disciple, to keep the trend of using prestige class names as inspiration).

I'm far too early in the project to ask for concrete homebrewing critiques, and wanted to just bandy to idea out and see what peoples opinions are. Do you think the idea itself is sound? Do have any examples of hybrid classes you would want to see?

RogueJK
2021-10-01, 03:48 PM
Pathfinder (basically D&D 3.75 Edition) took this route. In addition to the standard D&D classes, they also offered a number of classes that combines two traditional class concepts into a hybrid class, such as the Bloodrager (Barbarian/Sorcerer) or the Warpriest (Fighter/Cleric).

Might be worth checking out some of their stuff for inspiration: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/

Abracadangit
2021-10-01, 03:55 PM
Pathfinder (basically D&D 3.75 Edition) took this route. In addition to the standard D&D classes, they also offered a number of classes that combines two traditional class concepts into a hybrid class, such as the Bloodrager (Barbarian/Sorcerer) or the Warpriest (Fighter/Cleric).

Might be worth checking out some of their stuff for inspiration: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/

Ah, beat me to the punch!

But to answer OP's original question, I wouldn't be averse to a Fighter/Monk (Pathfinder called them "Brawlers"), a Druid/Warlock (finally make a real forest witch), or a Bard/Rogue (time for the musician/jester assassins!).

I would think the hard part of this would be that there are so many subclasses that already sit in some of these design spaces, right. Arcane Tricksters, Eldritch Knights, Shadow Monks, Scout Rogues, Vengeance Paladins, all the clanky casters like War Cleric, Hexblade, Swords Bards, etc.

Having said that, however, it is an endeavor that I would very much like to see the results of. When you make some, I'd certainly try one out!

Amechra
2021-10-01, 04:00 PM
Clearly there needs to be a Sorcerer/Warlock hybrid that's a half-caster. For both normal casting and Pact Magic.

Psyren
2021-10-04, 01:59 PM
A brawler class would be fun. Would be like a monk proficiency-wise, but can wear light armor, and instead of ki would have the battlemaster's superiority dice and maneuver mechanics.

Man_Over_Game
2021-10-04, 02:24 PM
I'm currently toying with the idea of homebrewing "hybrid" classes for 5e, the basic idea being to condense certain multiclasses which are unwieldly, popular, or powerful, with the goal of creating a more streamlined class that accomplishes the "goals" of that multiclass.

I'd be interested in seeing how you implement it. I've tried working on a few examples of this myself.

One was my concept for "Prestige Options" (in the signature), where certain classes or subclasses can use alternate stats for their features and multiclass requirements as long as they obey certain leveling requirements. For instance, as long as a Cleric doesn't have any Sorcerer or Warlock levels, they can use either Wisdom or Charisma for their casting and multiclassing, and it will default to just Wisdom should they ever ignore those restrictions. The main benefit is that each Option has restrictions that balance each change around multiclassing, so your table can use the list and multiclass as they want without any characters becoming overpowered. Strength Monk, Dexterity Barbarian, Wisdom Sorcerers, there's a lot to play with.

The other was a table of multiclassing benefits that show a list of perks you get when you have levels into both classes on a list, with the perk scaling to the lowest level of those two classes. For instance, Ranger/Rogues might get a bonus to hit equal to their Prestige Level (lowest level between the two classes) until they hit an enemy with their Sneak Attack. That way, it rewards something unorthodox like Wizard/Barbarians or something, since the perks can increase in power when the multiclass is otherwise useless, so you're rewarded for taking something that's otherwise subpar.

From my experience, the thing you don't want is to allow Sorcerers and Warlocks to easily multiclass into other casters who have excellent versatility, namely Clerics (who get easy AC upgrades) and Wizards (who have the best spell list). As long as those classes don't mix, it's pretty hard to outperform anything players can't already do (like Paladin/Sorcerer/Warlock hybrids).

Anyway, really looking forward to how you decide to run it. Can you send me a PM when you're comfortable with it? I like this kind of stuff and I'm always interested in other people's takes on it.

Rfkannen
2021-10-04, 02:27 PM
Great idea!!

I would focus on combinations that don't really work well with multiclassing. Like a monk warlock. (Themed around occult martial arts learned from strange creatures) or a bard druid (more of a classic Celtic bard, the ultimate wanderer) Ideas that could use a new way to express them!

Arkhios
2021-10-07, 12:02 PM
I actually did my first 5e homebrew class this way:

I combined features from both battle master and valor bard, to make my Warlord; which is essentially a hybrid of the two in many ways.