PDA

View Full Version : "Teenagers with weapons, that's what I'd call them." [Base Class]

SilveryCord
2007-11-16, 07:11 PM
Rebel
Some seek divine enlightenment. Others, arcane knowledge. Many fight with the sword, others, the dagger. A few choose the path of revolution, desperately protecting their ideals from an onslaught of tyranny.

Causes: In most circumstances, a rebel is fighting the powers that be in support of a cause or organization. Some rebels seek racial equality, others seek to protect the environment. Rebels enjoy being around others that share their alignment because they have the hope that they will be able to spread their beliefs.

How do rebels interact with other characters?

Barbarians often see rebels as fastidious, but rebels and barbarians alike appreciate each other's differences from society at large.

Bards get along well with rebels, as both enjoy sharing information and inspiring actions in others. Rebels, ever keen on helping others, do occassionally multiclass into bard for the Bardic Music ability.

Clerics get along with rebels that share ideals with them, but harshly disagree with rebels who insist on other beliefs. Rebels do multiclass into cleric, especially if their cause is one inspired by a divine force.

Druids get along with rebels who want protection for nature, but look down upon other rebels, who, in the druid's mind, could seek a more basic path in life, guided by the forest, instead of bothering with the complicated issues of society. Druidic rebels appear with some frequency.

Fighters are accepting of rebels who share basic philosophies on life, but tend to not worry about the issues of the world or seek action to stop them. Some fighters multiclass into rebel after 'seeing the light', so to speak.

Monks accept the rebel's eternal search for self-justice, but often disagree with the ideals of the rebel. Rebels do not often multiclass into monk, and vice-versa.

Paladins support good and lawful rebels, but have disdain for other kinds of rebels, who they believe lack enlightenment. Rebels do not often multiclass into paladin, and vice-versa.

Rangers and rebels share some idealogies, but usually not enough to foster a true bond. The ranger and rebel classes lack great synergy, so multiclassed characters are not common.

Rogues and rebels get along the best of all the classes. They share many talents and similarities, and often acheive goals in similar manners. Multiclassed characters with levels in rebel and rogue are common.

Sorcerors and rebels have a strong bond. Sorcerors understand what it means to be ostracized by a society. Rebels often multiclass into sorceror for the use of magic.

Wizards usually dislike rebels, finding fault with their one-track mind and capriosity. Rebels don't trust wizards who they consider dishonest.

Alignment
Any other than true neutral.

Hit Die
d8.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Aligned attack +1d4

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Victor's Luck

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Bonus Trick, Aligned attack +2d4

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Aligned attack +3d4

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bonus Trick

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Aligned attack +4d4

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Fortuitous Strike

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+3|Bonus Trick, Aligned attack +5d4

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Rabble Rousing

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|Aligned attack +6d4

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Bonus Trick

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Aligned attack +7d4

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|Advocate Cause

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Bonus Trick, Aligned attack +8d4

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Aligned attack +9d4

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Bonus Trick

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Aligned attack +10d4

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Ranged Assist[/table]

Class Skills
The rebel's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha) and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(8 + Int modifier) x4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
8 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the rebel.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Rebels are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the short sword. Rebels are proficient with light armor and shields.

Aligned Attack
If a Rebel battles an opponent of an opposing alignment, she can strike with the force of her alignment to deal extra damage.

The rebel's attack deals extra damage any time her target would be of at least one alignment opposite her own. (For example, a good rebel can deal extra aligned attack damage to an evil character, and a chaotic rebel can deal extra aligned attack damage to a lawful character.) This extra damage is 1d4 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d4 every two rebel levels thereafter. Should the rebel score a critical hit with an aligned attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. The extra damage is aligned with both the corresponding good or evil alignment and the corresponding lawful or chaotic alignment, and bypasses the appropriate damage reduction.

A rebel's aligned attack does not do 'double damage' against creatures who have two alignments opposite the rebel.

A rebel cannot aligned attack a True Neutral creature. If a creature's alignment is concealed, a rebel's aligned attack does not work.

Victor's Luck
At 2nd level, you gain Victor's Luck as a bonus feat. [Complete Scoundrel]

Bonus Trick
At 3rd level, you gain a bonus skill trick for which you meet the prerequisite. These bonus tricks do not cost skill points and do not count against your maximum number of skill tricks available. You gain an additional bonus trick at 6th level and every three rebel levels thereafter (9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th). You must still meet the prerequisite for each bonus skill trick. [Complete Scoundrel]

Fortuitous Strike
At 7th level, a rebel gains Fortuitous Strike as a bonus feat. [Complete Scoundrel]

Rabble Rousing (Ex)
Starting at 10th level, you can attempt to Aid Another as a swift action.

Advocate Cause (Ex)
Starting at 14th level, you may use an aid another action to add your aligned attack dice to the damage roll of a creature who shares the same alignment with you. The normal restrictions for making an aligned attack do not apply; the dice are simply added.

Ranged Assist (Ex)
Starting at 20th level, you can Aid Another at a distance of 5 feet per rebel class level.

puppyavenger
2007-11-16, 07:16 PM
honestly the idea and abilities are probably better suited to a prestige class.

DracoDei
2007-11-16, 07:31 PM
I dunno... thematically this seems VERY much like the first PC class level a lot of characters might have... the peasent who finally has "TOO MUCH" and "WON'T STAND FOR IT ANY LONGER".

Mewtarthio
2007-11-16, 11:24 PM
How do you make a Lawful rebel? I understand that people who disobey local laws aren't always chaotic, but the name "rebel" conjures up an image of somebody who wants change and wants it NOW, dammit!

jindra34
2007-11-16, 11:26 PM
How do you make a Lawful rebel? I understand that people who disobey local laws aren't always chaotic, but the name "rebel" conjures up an image of somebody who wants change and wants it NOW, dammit!
See Mao Tse Tung... i think i spelled that right.

DracoDei
2007-11-16, 11:29 PM
Umm... communists rising up against the Bourgeois?
But probably not... no, I can't really see a lawful rebel... even really organized movements would have to be one or the other to my mind... depending on how you define it technically, but for the feel of the class... yeah...

Mewtarthio
2007-11-16, 11:40 PM
See, I'd view the leaders of a rebellion as powerful, Charismatic individuals: Marshals, Bards with Perfom (Oratory), and similar guys. This class strikes me as the class of the guys who are rushing the palace gates and fighting the soldiers. I'd never call those guys lawful. In a revolution, the people in the mob generally care mostly about tearing the old government to shreds.

MagFlare
2007-11-17, 02:29 AM
Maybe this class needs to be renamed. "Rebel" carries with it a certain amount of baggage that isn't really appropriate for this class. Perhaps "idealist" or "zealot" is a better name.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-17, 04:45 AM
Maybe this class needs to be renamed. "Rebel" carries with it a certain amount of baggage that isn't really appropriate for this class. Perhaps "idealist" or "zealot" is a better name.

I feel Outcast would work well too.

Quite good, overall, but still, like others, I feel this is more of a Prestige Class than a Base Class. I may try it out though. :smallsmile:

Nebo_
2007-11-17, 05:16 AM
no, I can't really see a lawful rebel

Ever heard of Ghandi?

DracoDei
2007-11-17, 05:35 AM
Ever heard of Ghandi?
Yes.
Would I call him a rebel? Probably. (don't know all the details of his actions, more his philosophy)
Would I call him a rebel in the sense of this class? No.

SilveryCord
2007-11-17, 12:09 PM
Lawful follower of Pelor rebels against anarchy?

The Lottery would be a short story that sort of illustrates one concept.

Killing people by random chance.

is quite chaotic. A rebel could rebel against the unaxiotamy of the town's
lottery system.

But maybe I'm stretching? I dunno, I just don't feel comfortable putting "Nonlawful" as a requirement for alignment with no solid reason. Most players will have chaotic rebels anyway, and if a player can explain why his rebel is lawful, I say, go for it.

As for the allegations of PrCdom, I was working on a Leader of the Revolution class, intended for multiclass rebel/marshals, but right now its fate is in limbo :( I honestly don't know where I'm going to go with this. I have to think about whether it should be a PrC or not.

I did do a write up for various rebel organizations and causes. After I finish editing it I'll post it here.

Triaxx
2007-11-17, 02:44 PM
I don't know, I love the idea of the class, but as to alignment, I think Robin Hood might be a good example of a Lawful rebel. He's obeying the laws by breaking them, as opposed to simply abandoning them. I think he'd be likely to multiclass here from Fighter as opposed to Ranger.

puppyavenger
2007-11-17, 03:17 PM
I don't know, I love the idea of the class, but as to alignment, I think Robin Hood might be a good example of a Lawful rebel. He's obeying the laws by breaking them, as opposed to simply abandoning them. I think he'd be likely to multiclass here from Fighter as opposed to Ranger.

wait isn't robin hood the archtypal CG?

Old_el_Paso
2007-11-17, 03:30 PM

How did he obey laws by breaking them? Is giving stuff to peasants a law? And if he did obey by breaking it is considered neutral.

wait isn't robin hood the archtypal CG?

Yes, yes he is. As is Batman.

Mr Pants
2007-11-17, 03:44 PM
*snip*He's obeying the laws by breaking them...
*snip*

this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

CabbageTheif
2007-11-17, 04:06 PM
here is the issue that i run into with determining law and chaos. law from different lands can conflict- if you recall the dred scott case, there was a slave from the american south who was brought north, where slavery was illegal. there, he was treated as a free manservant to the owner. when returned to the south, he was concidered a slave again. is the slave lawful for wanting to be considered free by the norths law? or is he chaotic for wanting to break the law of the south?

as such, i agree that a rebel can be lawful, but the law must be a DIFFERENT law that the law of the land in which the party is adventuring; a rebel cannot exist in a land which agrees with them. being chaotic is desireing a lack of law, of freedom, and any adherance to the law of any land is lawful. robin hood was chaotic because no matter where you go, stealing is chaotic, despite the fact that he was protesting the law at the in order for a new law, the law of the king richard, to exist.

Draz74
2007-11-17, 04:06 PM
Yes, yes he is. As is Batman.

I've always considered Batman LG. And then Complete Scoundrel came along and backed me up on that interpretation in its fluff text on scoundrels of various alignments at the beginning.

I've also seen some pretty convincing arguments that Robin Hood is more NG, depending on what version of Robin Hood you're looking at (since his legend has even less consistency than, say, King Arthur's). I've even seen arguments that Robin is LG, though I didn't find them especially convincing.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-17, 05:54 PM
here is the issue that i run into with determining law and chaos. law from different lands can conflict- if you recall the dred scott case, there was a slave from the american south who was brought north, where slavery was illegal. there, he was treated as a free manservant to the owner. when returned to the south, he was concidered a slave again. is the slave lawful for wanting to be considered free by the norths law? or is he chaotic for wanting to break the law of the south?

Neutral. I highly doubt Dred Scott cared a whit for law or chaos. He just personally wanted to be free.

as such, i agree that a rebel can be lawful, but the law must be a DIFFERENT law that the law of the land in which the party is adventuring; a rebel cannot exist in a land which agrees with them. being chaotic is desireing a lack of law, of freedom, and any adherance to the law of any land is lawful. robin hood was chaotic because no matter where you go, stealing is chaotic, despite the fact that he was protesting the law at the in order for a new law, the law of the king richard, to exist.

Here's the thing: I agree that it's possible to be Lawful while undermining a legitimate opponent. Heck, you could even be Lawful and instigate a revolution in an opposing country, provided you had some plans to deal with the resulting chaos (or, at the very least, felt kinda bad about it). However, that does not make you a rebel. You're just a guy instigating things.

Triaxx
2007-11-18, 09:08 PM
Let me put it this way. The Sheriff of Nottingham is LE. Well... LN. He's out for his own gain, but he's using the law for his own gains, and manipulating it. Robin is fighting for the law, even if it means his own welfare is sacrificed or his life put on the line. He's fighting with the spirit of the law, not the letter.