PDA

View Full Version : Key of Purgatory

B3ZERKER
2021-10-01, 03:51 PM
The first detail you see as you wake is the crimson sky, covered with black, rumbling clouds as the sound of thunder permeates your ears.
A squelch beneath you shows the vile nature of the ground, carmine, fleshy and unstable. The air is thin and unpleasant, each breath leaves a
bitter taste in your mouth.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lawnandlandscape.com%2Fartic le%2Fsurvive-thrive-100-days-hell%2F&psig=AOvVaw3mBUxADABnblDdbu_ZdnJX&ust=1633207280679000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCICJy7SJqvMCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAS

While you wander and search, the land seems endless until you happen upon a ruined temple, of which a strange white light shooting into the sky beckons you
to investigate. Religion aside, if others were there, it would be a good opportunity to gather information.

The five of you meet inside the building, some of you were perhaps already there while others took varying times to reach the temple.
Inside is a burnt corpse, a few beds and a book clutched to the chest of the said corpse.
(Knowledge: Planes to identify the landscape, Knowledge: Religion to identify the temple.)

Biscuit
2021-10-02, 12:00 AM
Stefania gazed around, taking in the view. Taking a long breath, she sighs. "Well...damn." Noting that she only has the clothes on her back and a backpack with a just sprayer and in it and a quarterstaff lashed to it, she grinds her teeth, unstrapping the quarterstaff and not wasting any time in beginning a search of the surrounding area.

Eyeing the temple warily, something niggles at the back of her mind, but heads inside before it comes to her, since there isn't anywhere else to go anyway. Taking in the others, as well as the charred corpse, she smirks and can't help but drop sarcasm. "Lovely weather we're having, yes?"

Stefania Vasilica (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2520664)
Female N/E Human Psion Shaper 5 / Psychic Warrior 1, Level 6, Init 2, HP 19/19, Speed 30ft.
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus +3, Power Points 50/50
Quarterstaff +4 (1d6/1d6, x2)
Banded mail (+6 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 08
Condition None

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-02, 05:10 AM
Sprawled across the nauseating landscape, slowly, Virsk comes to her senses. She lifts her head from the sickening softness of the fleshy ground, overwhelmed by the evil permeating this place. Visions pierce her mind. Visions of fear, pain, suffering, redemption. Visions of a lifetime long past, burned into her very soul.

"Ah..." she sighs wistfully, gazing upwards at the ceilingless vastitude. "At last I return."

A lone tear rolls down her face, fizzling as it hits the "ground". She absently tweaks the ring on her right hand.

"I see. It was not enough. I have lost, well and truly this time."

She raises languidly, beginning to notice the armor on her body, the sword by her belt, the pouch at her waist, the backpack laying beside her. She rolls her aching joints, stretching out against the confines of the armor. A soft hint of a smile plays on her eyes. She draws her sword, spins it lazily around.

"Or have I...?" she wonders aloud.

Finally, she notices the temple in the distance. She clutches the ox-shaped pendant by her chest, and whispers a prayer to Domiel. Sword in hand, she hoists her backpack up, squaring it against her shoulders, and sets off towards the temple.

---

She strides up the steps surrounding the temple, surprised to find others already inside. She takes a moment to scan the inside of the temple, as well as watch the others intently.

"Greetings," she hesitates, "fellow damned."

Initiating the Silver Crane Waltz stance: +4 insight bonus to initiative checks, +2 insight bonus to Reflex saves and to AC

Yas392
2021-10-02, 06:26 AM
After commenting on the sinewy never-ending expanse with a backdrop of a crimson, cloudy, thundering skies he woke up to (see sheet for prequel), Liam propels his legs at peak walking speed to get away from the storm. When the binder arrived at a forsaken temple, no one is there. He draws strange symbols to bind Tenebrous before erasing the light etchings. At the conclusion of the brief ritual, his body appears hunched as he directs his attention to the remains of the scene. A two new voices prompt the sudden movement of his neck that vibrates if startled. Liam turns to the female human.

"Indeed."

Instead of a casual tone, his reply comes out as sarcastic but worn. He reacts to the greetings from the armored devil-looking creature with a welcoming wave.

samduke
2021-10-02, 07:55 AM
Upon hearing voices in the temple, Alice wanders into the main chamber where several have gathered. After observing them she wanders over, Greetings fellow travelers I am Alice, and this is Hell

Alice (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2374259)
female NE Human - dark creature ECL 1/Swordsage 2 / Warblade 3, Level 5, Init 3, HP 53/53, Speed 40
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, Fort 6, Ref 10, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 4
MW Elven Courtblade 9 (1d10+3, 18-20x2)
Mithral shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Misc)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10
Condition

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-02, 09:59 AM
Virsk can't supress an amused smile at Alice's statement. "Indeed we are. And I am Virsk. Pleased to meet you all, I suppose, though the circumstances could be better."

She looks around for a bit, and clears her throat before speaking again. "I suppose my mind is still a bit hazy from all this... dying business, and I don't think I have been to this particular place before. Are any of you familiar with this land, or this temple?"

She wanders over to the charred corpse, hovering over it, trying to make out what the book is about, without touching it.

"Now, what happened to this lovely fellow here?"

Virsk tries to gather any useful information about the book, or the burnt corpse. Feel free to make any spot or search rolls for me if appropriate

Curbludgeon
2021-10-02, 05:03 PM
A brief flutter of shadows from above resolves into a descending cylinder of rolled up leather. Its movement halts ~10' from Virsk at her eye level, whereupon it bobs up and down in what might be seen as excitement.Grace attempts to use Hide Presence, specifically to disguise her Outsider(Evil) nature.
[roll0]
She also will attempt Concentration checks each round(at +4) until she makes DC20 and gains psionic focus. She only expends her focus when using the Inquisitor feat, and so will generally have it up.

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-03, 09:59 AM
"Well... what do we have here?" Virsk says to the leather roll. She takes a step back, studying it, and keeping an eye out for any sudden movements. "Are you... friendly?"

Curbludgeon
2021-10-03, 11:47 AM
OOC: Grace attempts to use Mindlink with Virsk.

"Sapients found. Thank Goodness! This one can better serve the public good within a group. Many hands make light work!" The mental transmission then relays information learned of the temple and its environs (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25217645&postcount=15). "Please invite all present to avail themselves of any services this one can provide. Note that after introductory trial default visual communication will be used save when group priorities dictate otherwise. Now be careful out there and remember what they say about Hell; it's not the heat, it's the acidity!"

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-04, 12:53 PM
Virsk's expression goes from surprise, to curiosity, to a chortle at the last sentence. "Pleased to meet you. My name is Virsk. Who, and what, are you exactly, if you don't mind me asking?"

She then speaks to the others, "It seems there is one more of us," she nods towards Grace. "Or perhaps a complex magical item created to trick and kill us."

She turns back to Grace, "No offense meant, and I hope you understand my concern. In any case, thank you for introducing yourself."

And again she speaks to the others, "It seems we are in a temple dedicated to a pantheon called... Aubade, was it? The shapers of clouds. What an odd place to find a temple, especially one with writing in Celestial! Beyond that, we are in the Marsh of Gluttony, the first layer of Hell, left alone to find our own punishment."

She pauses for a moment.

"I propose we all stick together - for now at least - to find out whether we can deny the masters of Hell that pleasure. What say you?"

samduke
2021-10-04, 01:47 PM
yes sticking together seems to be the best course of action for many denizen's in this place might cause us a rather permanent stay. I for one would like to get back to the mortal realm material plane.

Curbludgeon
2021-10-05, 05:20 AM
"Hi there, Virsk, the name's Grace! This one... we... I... I'm just a girl, in a ring, floating before a woman while suspended from her backup nonmagical communication method, and asking to be part of a team! While maybe not as good in a fight as you all seem to be that isn't everything, and I'll sure we'll all get along famously"

"Now how about this tome? While getting a peek inside sure would be neat, maybe it's prudent to flip it in a sack instead?"

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-05, 06:03 AM
"Welcome then, Grace, to our little band of damned souls. I assure you, I understand what it means to be different," Virsk says, smiling warmly. "Although... you say you are bound to a ring? Can you move under your own power? Or do you require assistance?"

She turns to observe the book again.

"Ah... yes, indeed. It might be dangerous. Not to mention... this woman's soul was pure, Domiel grant her peace," she points to the charred body. "I do not know what we could be dealing with."

Yas392
2021-10-05, 06:14 AM
Liam has been observing the conversation, remaining silent. As the last of Grace's telepathic echoes dwindle to emptiness, he points to himself.

"Liam."

He nods at Alice.

"Could not have said it better. I am aboard on the idea of us working together for the time being to escape this hell. No point going at each other's throat when it will either disadvantage or doom us to a fate worst than death. Besides, five minds are better than one."

Curbludgeon
2021-10-05, 03:33 PM
"We can usually pull my weight, so to speak, but if there's a high speed chase hitching a ride might help. Also this ring has some minor heirloom magics to use against bad guys close in and Grace had a pretty diverse education, so one can accommodate whatever you all think is best!"

Biscuit
2021-10-07, 01:33 AM
Stefania's eyebrow arches at the mention of working together. "Work together? Well, I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like a wonderful idea." The sarcasm in her voice is as difficult to miss as the terrible pun. Waving a dismissive hand, she shrugs. "Realistically, it isn't as if we are overburdened with better options. Unless someone truly thinks they've a better chance on their own?" Sighing heavily, she leans against a wall of the church. "I'm open to suggestions."

Female N/E Human Psion Shaper 5 / Psychic Warrior 1, Level 6, Init 2, HP 19/19, Speed 30ft.
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus +3, Power Points 50/50
Condition None

Yas392
2021-10-10, 03:45 AM
Liam adopts an amuse expression when Stefania's clowns around. He waits until her voice dies down before he looks forth and back at the book and the religious relics in the middle of the room.

"Soooo...are we examining the book clutched by this elf-like she creature? Religious trinkets over the altar there if any of us religious types are eager to rack their brains and use their skill to reveal what they are after we are done with the book or vice-versa. On a note, the chain and silver casing are well-made if we doing the book and unlocking its contents first."

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-13, 02:53 PM
Virsk glances at the "trinkets" on the altar, and back at the book. "Well, I suppose everyone should take a close look at the book before we touch it. I couldn't figure anything out just from looking at it, but I agree with Liam that five minds are better than one."

She wanders over towards the altar."Personally, I'm in no hurry to get my hands on that book. But I suppose I can volunteer if just looking isn't enough."

She studies the religious items, trying to make sense of them.

B3ZERKER
2021-10-13, 03:01 PM
The religious iconography differs wildly, most of the talismans carved out of bone or wood, while a few were made from gold, while one in the middle,
was a scepter appearing to be made from platinum.

(Knowledge Religion check to learn more)

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-13, 05:05 PM
Virsk looks over the talismans, careful not to touch them, and quickly determines she knows nothing at all about them. "I suppose someone else should take a look at these, I can't tell what they are."

Yas392
2021-10-13, 05:54 PM
Liam studies the talismans and the scepter from a distance.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

Curbludgeon
2021-10-14, 01:02 PM
Grace extends her senses in an attempt to examine the religious items. With her mindlink nearing the end of its duration, she'll immediately relay any gleaned information to Virsk. Following this she will move the edge of the ruined temple to survey the surrounding area so the party might travel while avoiding the worst of the environs, and perhaps even forage a bit.Knowledge(Religion)[roll0]
Knowledge(The Planes)[roll1]
Survival[roll2]

B3ZERKER
2021-10-14, 03:56 PM
The land around the temple is bare, with not a single soul or danger in sight. The fleshy, carmine earth is difficult to traverse through,
as each of you found on your short journey to the temple. There are no trees or plantlife of any kind in the near vicinity.

The religious items all possess one aspect in common, in that they are used for seeking sanctuary from their respective deities.
While the scepter's purpose still eludes you, it seems logical that is it part of conducting a ceremony with these items.

Yas392
2021-10-15, 05:43 AM
Liam bends his figure a bit. His pupils are swinging like a pendulum of a clock in motion.

"What I can tell from studying these talismans is that they are a core component for a prayer for protection. While the properties of the scepter eludes me, these objects seems to be used for ceremonial purposes. Whether they are used together or not has yet to be seen. Still, I am not going to rule out the possibility."

The binder gestures to the items.

"Shall we try?"

samduke
2021-10-15, 10:23 AM
First looking at the others then Liam, I see no reason not to at this point, taking a careful look around looking for danger

Hunter's Sense: scent special ability

Alice (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2374259)
female NE Human - dark creature ECL 1/Swordsage 2 / Warblade 3, Level 5, Init 3, HP 53/53, Speed 40
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 15, Fort 6, Ref 10, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 4
MW Elven Courtblade 9 (1d10+3, 18-20x2)
Mithral shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex, +1 Misc)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10
Condition

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-15, 10:40 AM
"Might as well," Virsk shrugs. "Unless Stefania has any insights to contribute?"

Just giving Biscuit a chance to say something before we move on

Post edited because samduke replied while I was writing.

Biscuit
2021-10-17, 08:03 PM
Stefania waves a hand dismissively and begins backing away, putting a door frame between her and the talismans in question. "Oh, by all means, please feel free fiddle with the ceremonial implements you found while wandering about in a hell plane. I want to watch and see what happens! From a distance, of course." With a dark chuckle, she leans against the door frame and watches with a sardonic smirk on her lips.

Condition None

Yas392
2021-10-18, 07:04 AM
Liam mimics Stefania, backing away to the threshold of the temple, drawing his crossbow.

"I will await here if we are to proceed with our decision to play with the divine tools. It is best that I remain from a safe distance where I can assist us if something has gone awry."

B3ZERKER
2021-10-18, 12:00 PM
The sound of pattering against stone alerts you to the rain which forms sickly yellow puddles. It begins to grow harder, pelting the temple as the winds rise.

You can smell the scent of the charred body, a strong smell of incense and a third weaker scent coming from the back of the temple.

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-18, 01:20 PM
Virsk watches the rain for a moment, frowning. "At least the rain doesn't seem to be corrosive, I suppose we should count ourselves lucky for that."

She then turns back towards the talismans and watches them intently, reaching out to them with her soul's eye.

Using Detect Evil on the talismans.
Also, I suppose Stefania should roll Knowledge (Religion) as well, just in case we missed something?

samduke
2021-10-18, 01:28 PM
I smell something that is not that pointing to the burned corpse.
Wandering towards the back of the cave following the scent

Curbludgeon
2021-10-18, 05:12 PM
Grace continues scanning the horizon, with a particular interest in the nature of this yellow rain and its potential hazard to her new friends.Knowledge(Planes)[roll0]
Survival[roll1]

Yas392
2021-10-18, 10:47 PM
Liam divides his attention between Alice and the yellow rain.

Knowledge (Planes) to see if he knows about the yellow rain: [roll0]

B3ZERKER
2021-10-19, 03:14 AM
As Alice makes her way to the back of the ruins, she finds a rotten, wooden trapdoor inside a room which contains two bookcases,
though it was difficult to tell if any of the books it held were in a readable condition.

The Marsh of Gluttony is the Layer of which damned souls are reborn into bodies to be tormented or
into fiends. The apparent rain is instead a dew, from the colossal rotten flowers that dot the landscape, though the thick cloud cover
is likely obfuscating them from view. It sustains the flesh of the marshes and it can affect regular humanoids severely, from diseases to mutations.

Liam is unable to recall any information about the rain.

Yas392
2021-10-19, 06:38 AM
Liam shakes his head and shrugs.

"Still, we should not be optimistic until we know what the rain does which I do not have the knowledge of."

Biscuit
2021-10-21, 08:15 PM
"Ugh... nothing good, from the color. Can't be raining booze, since this definitely isn't an upper plane." Muttering quietly to herself, she adds, "Probably the gods reliving themselves on us for a laugh. At least it doesn't smell like asparagus." Rolling her eyes, she sighs and begins pacing, looking around.

Condition None

Search for clues: [roll0]

Yas392
2021-10-21, 09:42 PM
"Not to mention it is also a color of piss which we should not be drenching ourselves in."

Liam shifts his head sideways to Virsk.

"How are the examination and trial going? Good?"

samduke
2021-10-22, 01:11 PM
Hey you guys, if your done with the corpse there is a trapdoor over here

B3ZERKER
2021-10-24, 11:34 AM
As the items are so close together on the altar, a number of alignments spring to your mind's eye. You can detect lawful good, lawful neutral and lawful evil. You would have to pick them up one by one to tell which identifies with each.

Other than the trapdoor, altar and scepter, you find a small, rusted bloody dagger in the corner of the temple

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-24, 12:23 PM
"Hmm... these seem to be from deities both good and evil," Virsk says. "And neutral. Let's see which is which. Not that I have better ideas what to do with them anyway..."

Yas392
2021-10-24, 08:39 PM
"So what are we doing first?"

wkwkwkwk1
2021-10-25, 05:32 AM
Virsk puts down the talisman she's currently inspecting. "I suppose we might as well investigate said trapdoor first," she says. "It could very well be a better use of our time."

She heads over to where Alice is.

Biscuit
2021-10-25, 11:40 PM
As Stefania finishes her pacing, she stops and picks up a bloodstained dagger covered in rust. "Murder weapon, maybe? Meh." Shrugging, she slips it into her belt and walks towards the trap door. "Might as well try the trapdoor. I sure as here not going outside in whatever that crap is."

Condition None

Yas392
2021-10-25, 11:46 PM
Liam trails behind Virsk and Stefania after she claimed she picked up a murder weapon. Once the group reaches the vicinity of the trap door, the binder pauses.

Listen:

Spot: 1d20+2[/roll]

Curbludgeon
2021-10-26, 09:23 AM
Grace moves from the temple's periphery to rest near the group now inspecting the trapdoor.

B3ZERKER
2021-10-27, 06:16 PM
The trapdoor is a thick piece of wood, rotten in the corners. In the tiny holes, all anyone can see is black or stone wall. Without opening it, its not possible to identify what is down there.

Yas392
2021-10-27, 06:22 PM
Liam catches any sound from behind the trapdoor?

Biscuit
2021-10-27, 10:32 PM
"We're already in hell. What are we afraid of - dying?" Rolling her eyes with a grunt of derision, Sephania leans over and starts tugging on at the trapdoor.

Condition None

Attempting to open the door.

samduke
2021-10-28, 10:51 AM
"We're already in hell. What are we afraid of - dying?" Rolling her eyes with a grunt of derision, Sephania leans over and starts tugging on at the trapdoor.

Seeing Sephania tugging on at the trapdoor, Well Death regardless of where you end up is still death and right now we are alive.
Stepping to the side of the trapdoor that is directly opposite of the hinge side, looking down as the door opens attempting to see if anything dangerous is below, while using caution as the door may be trapped

B3ZERKER
2021-11-06, 11:22 AM
Under the trapdoor appears to be a cellar, with a number of chains attached to the walls. Dried blood coats the floor.

Curbludgeon
2021-11-06, 01:18 PM
Grace flings herself down the cellar then takes a look around. Should the cellar be large enough to require this she spends a round taking no other action, which extends the range of her natural 60' darkvision to 120'.Search[roll0]
Spot[roll1]

Yas392
2021-11-06, 07:09 PM
Guarding the rear as the group ventures into the cellar, Liam turns his head in intervals and plant an ear on the ground.

Spot: [roll0] (Liam can see through darkness even magical darkness)

Listen: [roll1]

samduke
2021-11-07, 09:24 AM
Alice following the others in venturing down into the cellar, once down takes a good look around while smelling the air.

listen [roll0]
search [roll1]
spot [roll2]

Hunter's Sense (TC): Scent
superior low light vision
darkvision 60ft

Biscuit
2021-11-07, 11:01 PM
Muttering quietly to herself, Stefania makes her way down as well, clutching her quarterstaff. "It would just be my luck to die twice in the same day."

Condition None

wkwkwkwk1
2021-11-17, 09:54 AM
"You all seem way too eager to explore a torture chamber, knowing you are in hell," Virsk says, watching them go down one by one.

"Oh, who am I to judge. I'll stay up here and make sure this trapdoor stays open. It has trap in the name, after all," she says, in a feeble attempt at humor. "Scream if you need help."