PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Suggest some Magical Secrets

Chronos
2021-10-01, 04:21 PM
I've been so busy preparing the end of my adventure, that I forgot that when the next DM takes over, I'm back to being a player. My valor bard is going from 9 to 11 when he rejoins the party, which means it's time to look at Magical Secrets. Relevant information:

* He's primarily a wrestler (expertise in Athletics, Tavern Brawler). He mostly only uses spells when wrestling wouldn't work well (large number of enemies, or big enemy even more brutish than him).

* My group has houseruled (I don't know why) that Guidance, Enhance Ability, and Haste don't need concentration. I have of course taken Enhance Ability, and use it often for strength.

* We've also houseruled that spells that summon or otherwise bring into being allied creatures can only get one of them (though that one has a few minor buffs to compensate).

* The party already has between two and three characters with Counterspell (one of them is one of the players who sometimes also DMs, though he won't be for a while).

* For roleplaying reasons, he won't ever take any spell based on stealth, disguise, or anything in the Dominate line. And in general, he's not usually very subtle.

* Books available to source spells from are the PHB and Xanathar's.

* Currently, my only damaging spells are Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers, Dream, and Synaptic Static (which I only just now noticed are all psi damage).

* The rest of the party is a life cleric, a totem barbarian, a hexblade, a shadow sorcerer, (sometimes) a moon druid, and (sometimes) a bladesinger. The moon druid will be out of the action for a while.

RogueJK
2021-10-01, 04:29 PM
For 10th Level Magical Secrets picks, look at some of the Paladin's 5th level spells. They get a number of solid higher end choices that usually don't come online for a Paladin until Tier 4, but that Bards can poach even earlier. Things like Circle of Power, Holy Weapon, Destructive Wave, or Find Greater Steed. Circle of Power is a great party buff. Holy Weapon makes your own or a party member's weapon attacks a significant damage boost. Find Greater Steed is a game-changer for mobility (including flying). And Destructive Wave is a solid option for additional AoE damage where you don't have to worry about friendly fire.

Beyond that, solid options include Telekinesis (for both in and out of combat use), Wall of Force (one of the best battlefield control spells in the game), or Bigby's Hand (which could mesh well with your grappling style).

Spirit Guardians might also be worth considering, for additional passive damage against your grappled foes and other nearby enemies.

kazaryu
2021-10-01, 04:35 PM
I've been so busy preparing the end of my adventure, that I forgot that when the next DM takes over, I'm back to being a player. My valor bard is going from 9 to 11 when he rejoins the party, which means it's time to look at Magical Secrets. Relevant information:

* He's primarily a wrestler (expertise in Athletics, Tavern Brawler). He mostly only uses spells when wrestling wouldn't work well (large number of enemies, or big enemy even more brutish than him).

* My group has houseruled (I don't know why) that Guidance, Enhance Ability, and Haste don't need concentration. I have of course taken Enhance Ability, and use it often for strength.

* We've also houseruled that spells that summon or otherwise bring into being allied creatures can only get one of them (though that one has a few minor buffs to compensate).

* The party already has between two and three characters with Counterspell (one of them is one of the players who sometimes also DMs, though he won't be for a while).

* For roleplaying reasons, he won't ever take any spell based on stealth, disguise, or anything in the Dominate line. And in general, he's not usually very subtle.

* Books available to source spells from are the PHB and Xanathar's.

* Currently, my only damaging spells are Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers, Dream, and Synaptic Static (which I only just now noticed are all psi damage).

* The rest of the party is a life cleric, a totem barbarian, a hexblade, a shadow sorcerer, (sometimes) a moon druid, and (sometimes) a bladesinger. The moon druid will be out of the action for a while.

wow....haste without concentration thats uhh...interesting.

anyway, hex could be good since it allows you to give your grapple target disadvantage (which is really just the nail in the coffin alongside your own advantage/expertise) and since you're a full caster you *could* even upcast hex to keep the spell going all day. one spell slot for basically every target you grapple. alternatively its a BA spell so its quicker to set up than enahnce ability, for when you really need to grapple now meanwhile hex is also useful if you decide to swing your weapon.

obviously fireball is always a good choice...altohuogh at your level...maybe not. cone of cold instead?
wall of force is always a useful spell, probably wanna focus on the wizard spell list since they get several exclusives and you don't have one. so even things like tiny hut may be good. Then there's always Tasha's summons. they only summon 1 creature regardless.

Segev
2021-10-01, 04:45 PM
Transmute rock would give you some terrain to throw victims into. So would watery sphere.

Wall of force has some utility applications and can force enemies to stick around and me grappled or divide enemies from their allies to make for more manageable numbers.

Chronos
2021-10-01, 08:48 PM
Quoth kazaryu:

obviously fireball is always a good choice...altohuogh at your level...maybe not. cone of cold instead?
wall of force is always a useful spell, probably wanna focus on the wizard spell list since they get several exclusives and you don't have one.
Fireball is good, sure, but Synaptic Static is basically psireball, which is even better. And the sorcerer already has a Wand of Fireballs, so we're not really lacking in those anyway. And we do have a wizard-- Bladesinger is a wizard subclass.

So what I'm thinking so far:

Hex: Better grappling, a little extra damage, bonus action casting time (saving my action for grappleproning)
Shield and/or Absorb Elements: A little more durability (he's a bit squishy for a front-liner), reaction casting time
Staggering Smite: Another bonus action, decent damage, good control.
Find Greater Steed: I'll want to check with the other DMs on this one; it might be a bit too cheesy.
Wall of Force: Good control, and I can trap them in with something nasty one of the other fullcasters casts.
Destructive Wave: Solid damage, large AoE, selective targeting, very attention-getting.

I'll probably pass on:

Spirit Guardians: If the cleric casts it (and she will), then I can drag enemies into and out of it, for more damage.
Telekinesis: If the enemy has poor strength checks, I can already immobilize it without using a spell slot.

Still pondering:

Bigby's Hand. Can be used for effects similar to Telekinesis and Wall of Force, and feels appropriate for the character. On the other hand, the wizard also already has it.

Speely
2021-10-01, 09:34 PM
I really like Destructive Wave for the solid, safe aoe damage and the prone perks it gives your melee allies. You can thin the herd to mark your grapple opponent and do it with a Thor-like flair. Also gives you a way to more safely escape being surrounded. I think it would work quite well with your playstyle in lots of situations.

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-01, 09:43 PM
1. Bibgy's hand is tempting, and I've had some fun with it, but I'll suggest against it.
2. Steel Wind Strike. Take another look.
3. Wall of force. Sometimes, shutting the enemy down is useful.
4. Destructive Wave. Pretty Good Spell
5. If you haven't already: Counterspell.
Bards get a boost on the ability check for that. Jack of All Trades. At level 11 you get a free +2. Hard not to take that one. My suggestion is to make that your first pick, and then look at the others and see who gets second pick.

I have used the hell out of Counterspell in Tier 3 adventures.

Saelethil
2021-10-02, 12:03 AM
Firstly, (IMO) anyone with the option of taking Counterspell should always take it. You never know when the others that already have it will have used their reaction already or will need you to counter a Counterspell.
Secondly, any full caster that plays in melee can get a LOT of use out of Armor of Agathys. I’m currently playing a bard that uses it and if there is any kind of group or swarm, I have gotten some very good use out of a 5th level casting of it.

kazaryu
2021-10-02, 02:32 AM
Fireball is good, sure, but Synaptic Static is basically psireball, which is even better. And the sorcerer already has a Wand of Fireballs, so we're not really lacking in those anyway. And we do have a wizard-- Bladesinger is a wizard subclass.
thats fair, somehow missed you mentioning a bladesinger, my b

I'll probably pass on:

Spirit Guardians: If the cleric casts it (and she will), then I can drag enemies into and out of it, for more damage.
Telekinesis: If the enemy has poor strength checks, I can already immobilize it without using a spell slot.

if you mean you can drag people in and out in a turn to trigger it multiple times then that wouldn't work, since it only triggers the first time you drag them in there on *a* turn.

you can take expeditious retreat (magical secret) so that on turns (after the one you use your action to grapple) you can drag them into spirit guardians as a bonus action, then ready an action to do it again on a folowup turn.

stoutstien
2021-10-02, 05:34 AM
I'll always suggest circle of power.

Chronos
2021-10-02, 06:40 AM
Quoth kazaryu:

if you mean you can drag people in and out in a turn to trigger it multiple times then that wouldn't work, since it only triggers the first time you drag them in there on *a* turn.
Right, I know that, but you can still get one extra instance of damage per turn out of it, which is pretty good for just costing a bit of movement.

And I can see the value in Armor of Agathys, too, but I already have the Inspiring Leader feat, and temporary HP don't stack. Likewise, I know that bards are better than most at counterspelling, but it seems like, with three other party members who have it, the times when I'd regret not having it are rare.

KorvinStarmast, why do you recommend against Bigby?

Frogreaver
2021-10-02, 06:57 AM
Enlarge/reduce if you don’t already have it. Allows you to grapple larger targets.

Also, Grappling a target and holding it just inside a sickening radiance could be nice.

Counterspell is a must as it can prevent grappled creatures from teleporting away - at least the spell using ones

Guy Lombard-O
2021-10-03, 11:16 AM
Fly + (non-concentration) Haste.

On a grappling expert, I foresee a lot of creatures getting dropped from 100+ 80' feet every round. When you hit 14th level, you can even bonus-action attack them for a second time before you let go.

EDIT: I forgot about carrying the other creature halving your speed. So it's Attack 1 to grapple, movement up 120/2 = 60', Attack 2 to punch/stab, Haste action dash up another 40/2 = 20', for a total of 80' up, drop your target, use remaining 80' Haste dash movement to fly back down.

16d6 plus your 1 Attack (+1 Bonus Attack at 14th), plus the target is proned until its turn? Not horrible for an investment of 2 third-level spells. And it's pretty cool on a grappler.