PDA

View Full Version : ? vampire spawn warlock

da newt
2021-10-02, 08:31 AM
My DM pulled a new (to me) monster on us the other day - a nasty pair of vampire spawn warlocks that he said were from Descent into Avernus. Anyone know where I can find their stat blocks? (the encounter is over - I just wanna know 'cause they were pretty bad@$$).

kazaryu
2021-10-02, 08:38 AM
My DM pulled a new (to me) monster on us the other day - a nasty pair of vampire spawn warlocks that he said were from Descent into Avernus. Anyone know where I can find their stat blocks? (the encounter is over - I just wanna know 'cause they were pretty bad@$$).

probably homebrewed..took the vampire spawn statblock and added some number of warlock levels or abilities

da newt
2021-10-02, 09:45 AM
He said it wasn't homebrew ... They had 'shadow spears' that had a nasty necrotic damage rider and EB/AA etc. 2 melee attacks per round AND cast a spell.

kazaryu
2021-10-02, 09:54 AM
He said it wasn't homebrew ... They had 'shadow spears' that had a nasty necrotic damage rider and EB/AA etc. 2 melee attacks per round AND cast a spell.

i mean..that sounds like a gloom weaver. (its amazing what you can get from a google search). but gloomweavers aren't typically undead. so unless 5e has 3.5esque templates and he threw a vampire spawn one on there then some homebrew happened. but yeah, gloom weaver.

i think they're shadar-kai (shadowfell elves), so its possible that you misinterpreted them as being vampire spawn? idk.

Unoriginal
2021-10-02, 10:02 AM

Yeah, your DM is either plainly lying, was lied to and passed the lie down to you, or critically misread several thimgs. Or he got which book they were from wrong and has doubled down instead of checking.

The only creatures that marginally ressemble that in Descent into Avernus are not vampires, or undead. So at minimum he changed the nature of the creature even if the rest of the statblock stayed the same, or he declared the creature had a different name... without caring about the name fitting the nature of the being

da newt
2021-10-02, 10:11 AM
Thanks - I'm pretty sure they were gloom weavers with slight reskin.

Unoriginal
2021-10-02, 10:42 AM
Thanks - I'm pretty sure they were gloom weavers with slight reskin.

I'm 99% certain there is no gloom weavers in DiA.

Did your DM mean Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes?

da newt
2021-10-02, 11:47 AM
Probably just a brain fart.

They certainly are an interesting foe - a bit more offensively focused than many monsters, maybe a bit of a glass cannon. 2 of them put down 3 of our 6 person lvl 10 party (we are MID to LOW optimized in build and practice).