PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Any humans with ability score bonuses in 3.5?

redking
2021-10-02, 08:55 AM
Are there any humans in 3.5 with ability score bonuses? Like +2 Int, -2 Wis or anything like that?

I am aware of that Athasian human from Dragon Magazine #319. They have a +2 bonus to any two ability scores.

ciopo
2021-10-02, 09:24 AM
neanderthals form frostburn are classified as humans, iirc they are +2 str -2 dex +2 con -2 int , there are some more "count as human" races in the book Race of destiny, but I'm relatively sure none of those have ability score adjustements

pabelfly
2021-10-02, 09:39 AM
Deep Imaskari and Extaminar are both "human" and come with ability score bonuses.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-02, 09:50 AM
Lots of templates can be given to human characters, and most of them still count as human for various purposes. Lycanthrope, for instance, or dragonborn.

Prime32
2021-10-02, 10:55 AM
The very next issue of Dragon after that has Complacent Humans, who get +2 to a single ability score in exchange for losing the bonus feat and skill points. It's fluffed as them being from a decadent society where they "train their bodies for sport and beauty, or their minds for intellectual debate, but no longer care much for the real world applications of their abilities".

Exiled Dwarves from the same article get a human bonus feat in exchange for losing some of their abilities.

FauxKnee
2021-10-02, 04:15 PM
As ciopo mentioned, Races of Destiny has quite a few human-centric things. Mongrelfolk (p98) are humans and have a hefty con bonus, but penalties to int and charisma. Depending on what you're looking for, you could also tack on the Human Heritage feat (p152) to treat a variety of human-descended races as human.

Thurbane
2021-10-02, 04:35 PM
Karsites (ToM): +2 Con, +2 Cha

daremetoidareyo
2021-10-02, 07:38 PM
Tarmac in dragonlamce campaign setting

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-02, 07:46 PM
Tarmac in dragonlamce campaign settingWhat, you don't pave your Dragonlance roads with the ground-up bones of kender?

daremetoidareyo
2021-10-02, 08:35 PM
What, you don't pave your Dragonlance roads with the ground-up bones of kender?

Look, maybe I’m alone in this, but I find the culture of tiny kleptomaniacs biologically predisposed to be unable to understand property rights is absolutely fascinating.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-10-02, 09:26 PM
Races of Destiny has a bunch of Humanoid (Human) races: Mongrelfolk, Sharakim, and Skulk have ability score bonuses/penalties. Any half-human race can be counted as human with a feat, or with the optional rule in the sidebar on p150.

Fizban
2021-10-03, 05:52 PM
Look, maybe I’m alone in this, but I find the culture of tiny kleptomaniacs biologically predisposed to be unable to understand property rights is absolutely fascinating.
Creature with a cultural or even physiolocial inability to understand "ownership?" Potentially interesting, though disastrously destructive to a game where each player expects to get an even share of the rewards to play with: undermining fundamental co-op play, not so cool.

Doing it while going "lololol isn't it funny how annoying I am and no one can do anything about it because I'm a PC!?!?", get out of my game.

I had thought that the Warcraft humans had a variable ability score boost but apparently not.

AlanBruce
2021-10-03, 06:11 PM
Doing it while going "lololol isn't it funny how annoying I am and no one can do anything about it because I'm a PC!?!?", get out of my game.

Do note that the above behavior and subsequent petty and punch worthy explanation for said behavior is not Kender centric.

Too many players who go rogue or any variant thereof tend to immediately fall into that category. One of their most “solid” arguments being, “it’s what my character does!” or the infallible “I’m chaotic!”

They typically last one session, at the best of times.

Thurbane
2021-10-03, 06:22 PM
Kender were a little more at home in 1E, where (and this would vary from table to table, of course) there was a bit more "every man for himself" mentality. At some of the games I played in, every Thief character ever - regardless of race - was under constant scrutiny and suspicion of stealing from group loot or from other PCs. And those accusations were often very well founded.

In the more civilized days of 3E and beyond, a racial proclivity for kleptomania feels a little more out of sync with the general cooperative vibe most groups enjoy.

redking
2021-10-03, 10:48 PM
I suppose that elemental racial variants (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm) could be extrapolated to humans. Has anyone done that?

redking
2021-10-05, 10:45 PM
I found these brood monkeys (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a) in the wizards website. They are degenerated humans, LA +2. Anyone care to reverse engineer the ability score bonuses?

hamishspence
2021-10-05, 11:19 PM
The general rule is that modifiers are even numbers, and that if the score is an odd number, use 11 as the base and if an even number, use 10 as the base. So, 3 evens, 3 odds - quite appropriate for the standard array.

10-2 = 8.
11+4 = 15,
11+4 = 15
11-6 = 5
10+4 = 14
10+2 = 12

So, the modifiers are -2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, -6 Int, +4 Wis, +2 Cha

redking
2021-10-06, 12:24 AM

Thanks. Do you reckon that these brood monkeys are worth the LA +2?

Rebel7284
2021-10-06, 12:31 AM
Not exactly what you are asking, OP, but are you aware of the Human Paragon class?

Thurbane
2021-10-06, 01:03 AM
I found these brood monkeys (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a) in the wizards website. They are degenerated humans, LA +2. Anyone care to reverse engineer the ability score bonuses?

Here's my take: (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?597308-3-5-Brood-Monkeys)

Based on this web article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a), does this look correct:

Brood Monkeys As Characters

• -2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
• Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
• A brood monkey’s base land speed is 30 feet, and it has a climb speed of 20 ft.
• Darkvision out to 120 feet.
• Immune to Enchantment (Ex): The brood monkey's fantastic faith and focus grant it complete immunity to all spells and spell-like effects of the school of enchantment. This extends to supernatural attacks and effects that duplicate spells of these schools, such as a vampire's domination gaze.
• Low-light vision.
• Flurry of Blows (Ex): A brood monkey can flail wildly with any simple melee weapon or unarmed attack as a full attack action. This grants the brood monkey an additional attack with his melee weapon, but all melee weapon attacks suffer a -2 penalty as a result. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the brood monkey might make before its next action. A brood monkey with at least 5 Hit Dice becomes more adept with his flurry of blows attack, and the penalty for using it drops to -1. A brood monkey with at least 9 Hit Dice has no penalty at all to his flurry of blows attacks. A brood monkey may attack with his bite as a secondary weapon in a round he performs a flurry of blows - any penalties from his flurry of blows do not apply to his bite attack.
• Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day - cure minor wounds, doom (DC 11 + Cha modifier); 1/day - cause fear (DC 11 + Cha modifier), cure light wounds, shield of faith. Caster level 2.
• Racial Hit Dice: A brood monkey begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
• Racial Skills: A brood monkey’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Spot and Tumble. A brood monkey has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can choose to take 10 on a Climb check even when rushed or threatened. A brood monkey's natural agility gives it a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks.
• Racial Feats: A brood monkey’s monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat. It gains Alertness as a bonus feat.
• +1 natural armor bonus.
• Natural Weapon: Bite (1d3).
• Automatic Languages: Brood Monkey. Bonus Languages: Common.
• Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass brood monkey takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
• Level adjustment +2.

https://i.imgur.com/NpOwiZX.jpg

I've taken some liberty with favored class, given that none is mentioned. I used the same rule as for the Chaond. Also, not sure if they should receive Common as a bonus language, based on this:

Cheers - T

ciopo
2021-10-06, 01:53 AM
Do remember that when adapting a monster to PC use, intelligence has a special chart that is slighty different than every other ability score, it's not a straight equal penalty, it's usually lenient toward penalties if both the monster and your generated INT score are both less than 10 (the monkey 5 with a start of 8 result in an INT score of 4, not 2, for example) the most prominent use of that is that a monster with 8 Int does not go down to 6 Int if the rolled/point buy Int of the character is 8 too

redking
2021-10-06, 02:49 AM
Not exactly what you are asking, OP, but are you aware of the Human Paragon class?

Yes. Aware of the +2 to an ability score.

Here's my take: (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?597308-3-5-Brood-Monkeys)

Sweet. Should have known you had ninja'd this one ages ago. Tell me, is this one of the few small sized monstrous humanoids? Correct me if I am wrong, but there are not many of these.

Thurbane
2021-10-06, 04:07 PM
Sweet. Should have known you had ninja'd this one ages ago. Tell me, is this one of the few small sized monstrous humanoids? Correct me if I am wrong, but there are not many of these.

There's a few others, but not a lot:

Armand
Boggle
Chitine
Derro
Dromite
Gibberling
Kappa
Marruspawn, Marrulurk
Nycter
Spawn of Tiamat, Greenspawn Sneak
Spawn of Tiamat, Whitespawn Hordeling
Tengu, Human-Headed

redking
2021-10-07, 03:52 AM
There's a few others, but not a lot:

Armand
Boggle
Chitine
Derro
Dromite
Gibberling
Kappa
Marruspawn, Marrulurk
Nycter
Spawn of Tiamat, Greenspawn Sneak
Spawn of Tiamat, Whitespawn Hordeling
Tengu, Human-Headed

Thanks. Any idea how to optimize the brood monkey? I'm thinking cleric + favoured soul with divine adaption ultimate magus (3/4 BAB, cleric saves). Speaking of, know of any ultimate magus divine adaption homebrews?

silver spectre
2021-10-07, 09:18 AM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?580044-Every-playable-race-in-3-5-D-amp-D-without-a-level-adjustment&highlight

Thurbane
2021-10-07, 03:24 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?580044-Every-playable-race-in-3-5-D-amp-D-without-a-level-adjustment&highlight

Good point, my list of small Monstrous Humanoids won't include any of the Anthro Animals...

ShurikVch
2021-10-07, 04:52 PM
Tell me, is this one of the few small sized monstrous humanoids? Correct me if I am wrong, but there are not many of these.
In addition to aforementioned -
If you OK to use Dragon stuff:
Blindheim (#339) LA -
Chupacabra (#343) LA +5
Tibbit (Compendium) LA +0
Tree Troll (#299) LA +3 (or +1 - bad editing may confuse ECL and LA)
Wyrmen (#352)

If 3rd-party Ravenloft is OK, then:
Bakhna Rakhna (Denizens of Dread) LA +0
Ravenkin (Denizens of Dread) LA +2

Psyren
2021-10-08, 11:52 AM
The general rule is that modifiers are even numbers, and that if the score is an odd number, use 11 as the base and if an even number, use 10 as the base. So, 3 evens, 3 odds - quite appropriate for the standard array.

10-2 = 8.
11+4 = 15,
11+4 = 15
11-6 = 5
10+4 = 14
10+2 = 12

Empty Vessels (ECS) are also human, and I think you could use this method to back into their racial adjustments as well?

hamishspence
2021-10-08, 12:02 PM
Empty Vessels (ECS) are also human, and I think you could use this method to back into their racial adjustments as well?

Apparently it's not so much "racial adjustments" as "their normal scores are very specific"

"Humans born and raised on Sarlona to become the Inspired recieve special training and education. and they are remarkable individuals in their own right. Empty vessels generally have the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 15."

I don't think it's a coincidence that this exactly matches the elite array - just with the scores assigned to specific stats.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-08, 12:16 PM
If you wanted to abuse the rules a bit, cast polymorph or aspect of the wolf on yourself, or manifest metamorphosis, to give yourself the Animal type. Befriend a druid, or at least pay him for it, and ask him to cast a Sudden Maximized/Sudden Empowered awaken on you. If it succeeds, your mental stats should be significantly improved from baseline. Then use either shapeshifting methods (such as polymorph) or body-swapping shenanigans (such as [true] mind switch) to give yourself vastly improved physical stats.