PDA

View Full Version : Request a Homebrew, Part 4

Tzardok
2021-10-02, 12:44 PM
As the third Request a Homebrew thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?408530-Request-a-Homebrew-Thread-3) has sunk from inactivity a few months back, I decided to revive it.

What the OP of the first threaad had to say:

The purpose for the Request a Homebrew thread is for anyone to request the creation of a specific homebrewed game mechanic or concept - monsters, alternate class abilities, spells, etc. Every DM has been in the position where he or she needs an exciting new monster, unique magic item, or awe inspiring spell the PCs have never seen before, but find themselves lacking the time or inspiration to put it together themselves. Rather than go it alone, this thread's mission is to give everyone access to the fevered imaginations and creation prowess of Homebrew Design's denizens.

Below are some guidelines for this thread.

Your Request Should Be Specific: When making a request, the more detail the better. This is not a thread for very general requests - for example "I need a magic item" or "I need a CR 2 monster" would be inappropriate requests. An appropriate request would be more along the lines of "I need a CR 2 monster, non-intelligent but not mindless, for a tomb-raiding adventure in a desert environment (Egyptian influence a plus!). The party has been fighting undead a lot so far, and I'm really looking for something that they would initially think is undead to catch them off-guard. Preferably, it should have some interesting signature ability so it's not just a 'stand there and hammer each other' fight."

The Homebrew Should Be Fairly Small in Scope: Requests should be for homebrew that could be easily contained in one post - asking for a whole new base class or magic system would be a bit too much for this thread. The concept here is really for DMs to request something they expect to use in short order and don't have the time to develop themselves.

Keep it Short: While some discussion of created items posted to this thread is fine, try to keep it short and sweet. If a discussion is picking up and is going beyond about 8-9 posts (not including the request post and the post presenting the finished product), please move it over to it's own dedicated thread.

Don't Post Something Completed Looking for Feedback: Don't post something you've already made and ask for feedback on it or help with completing it. Such creations should be put into their own threads as normal.

Linking Completed Items: If you've seen something on the boards (or elsewhere) that you think would fit the needs of the poster making the request, feel free to provide a link to it. Please don't repost them entirely to the thread, though. Posting copyrighted material without permission is of course prohibited. (Claiming someone else's work as your own will result in Infractions or other penalties.)

Numbering: In order to keep things clear and cut down on excessive quoting of requests, please number requests (R.1, R.2, etc.), homebrewed up responses (H.1, H.2, etc) and comments (C.1, C.2, etc.).

The next request should be R1212.

Tzardok
2021-10-02, 12:54 PM
I have a request myself.

R1212

I'd like a new Master Path of mysteries for the shadowcaster. The 9th level mystery should be a flavourful variant of the spell/power genesis (https://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/deities-and-demigods--39/genesis--982/index.html), something that follows roughly this description:

the Plane of Shadow is essentially the plane of what else is - it's not meant to be its own thing, but to reflect in a certain way a different thing that exists. It's closer to the Plane of Mirrors than to the other Transitive Planes. It's plausible that powerful magic could shape a "demiplane" from Shadow, but the result would be problematic and deeply unstable - imagine shadow conjuration producing genesis and having even the boundaries of your created plane being only quasi-real.

I don't have any preferences for what the 8th and 7th level mysteries should do, just that they fit together flavour-wise.