PDA

View Full Version : Runecaster Advice for Newer Player

ElderDarren
2021-10-02, 12:46 PM
Hello Playground, I'm here to pick the collective mind.

I am starting a new campaign and a player may be interested in picking up Runecaster. They're new to 3.5 (primarily 5e before this) and I already threw them in the deep end by running Gestalt, so I was hoping you guys might have some tips and tricks or some good spells that you think a cleric//healer might like. I showed him the Runeblaster handbook and I saw the smoke billowing from his ears so I think the less cheese the better.

For clarification, he is a Cleric//Healer 3 and playing as a homebrew dragonborn with a healing breath weapon. (He lives to play heal and buff-bot)

Thanks a million in advance.

lolcat
2021-10-02, 02:56 PM
Well i like lightning blade spell + poison spell feat + venomfire spell + maximise rune class feature + empower spell wand + sudden empower spell feat = .... ah, you said less cheese, not laser-cheese. sorry ;)

Anyways, playing a runecaster myself i have some healing-items, elemental-resistance buff items, a very nifty staff that summons a good amount of dustform-creature birds that i then have my familiar switch me with baleful transposition (or an enemy, assuming their will-save is low), what else.... hackysacks of doom thrown into fields as landmines, buff-items for the party,.... maybe ask your player what role he wants to fill, chances are we can help him McGyver the equivalent of a fusion-reactor to do it :)

ElderDarren
2021-10-02, 06:40 PM
Never have I heard laser cheese and been so excited. And thank you for the response.

He is truly a heal and buff support player at heart, and has gone so far as to select only a cantrip level attack spell because his character doesn't believe killing should be the answer. Which clashes with my experience of being finely tuned death machines, I just don't know where to point him (whoops)

Saintheart
2021-10-02, 07:56 PM
4 Grey ioun stones + permanent maximised pass-activated runes of Heal, Bull Strength, Bear's Endurance, Cats Grace, keyed to "my allies". All his buddies now have to do is walk within 30 feet of him and they get all their hitpoints back and boosts to their main fighting stats. Congrats, his buffing purpose in life is now fulfilled.

lolcat
2021-10-03, 09:52 AM
Is there any source on what counts as "passing" ? Because i have been wracking my brain to use runes to create launch-item turrets (to lob more runes of course), but i came up empty for a ROW-compliant way to have them trigger at range. Thanks for any help!