PDA

View Full Version : Scrying and favoured enemy

Smegskull
2021-10-03, 05:02 PM
depending on your flavour of favoured enemy the skills that get bonuses can very ad i some combos this brought up a question regarding scrying.
the scry sensor is considered in RC as an extra organ that provides sense so you have all your vision types extra senses etc through it so scrying with favoured enemy great.
The confusion is in the reverse scenario. being scryd on by a favoured enemy, what if any bonuses apply? Elf ranger can have favoured enemy bonus spot, would this apply to the detect sensor spot check, seems weird but the only description of the scry sensor I can find describes it as an organ, not a magic item or a creature or an object but an organ which implies it is as much you as any other body part. If that wasn't awkward enough what about detect favoured enemy or the nemesis feat, would they assist in detecting a scry sensor?

Tzardok
2021-10-04, 04:55 PM
Favoured Enemy doesn't help you find scrying sensors, both be RAW and by logic. Favoured Enemy means that you studied the enemy group and its habits, allowing you to use your broad knowledge against them. The scrying sensor is still a magical creation resembling an eye, it isn't really the eye of whatever uses it. There are no noted differences between the sensor used by, for example, a human and a demon. So how would Favoured Enemy (Outsiders [Evil]) help against the one, but not the other?

If I were your GM, I would maybe allow you to use Favoured Enemy (spellcasters) from one of those alternate class features against scrying sensors, as in that case studying scrying sensors could possibly be included. Maybe.

Smegskull
2021-10-05, 09:10 AM
I do have favoured enemy arcanist and nemesis which is why this came up.
So what is a scry sensor by RAW? It can be attacked so it must be some form of entity. I just need to know what it is so I know what to set up for it. If it doesn't have the casters creature properties and it isn't a creature in it's own right I assume that would make it an object (like a magic item) or an effect (like an illusion) for the sake of interaction?

Tzardok
2021-10-05, 03:16 PM
A scrying spell creates an invisible magical sensor that sends you information. Unless noted otherwise, the sensor has the same powers of sensory acuity that you possess. This level of acuity includes any spells or effects that target you, but not spells or effects that emanate from you. However, the sensor is treated as a separate, independent sensory organ of yours, and thus it functions normally even if you have been blinded, deafened, or otherwise suffered sensory impairment.

Any creature with an Intelligence score of 12 or higher can notice the sensor by making a DC 20 Intelligence check. The sensor can be dispelled as if it were an active spell.

Seems clear to me: it's an effect. I mean, you apparantly can't even attack it meaningfully.

Thurbane
2021-10-05, 06:29 PM
Yeah, have to agree here, the FE bonus would not apply to a spell effect for basically every spell I can think of (barring those that summon or duplicate actual creatures).

If the DM wanted to rule that the FE bonus applied in this case, though, shouldn't be OP at all.

As to what the sensor is treated as, I think "effect" would fit better than "object".