PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the gamer (a monastic tradition)

mcumoric
2021-10-04, 09:06 AM
Way of the gamer
ARTIFICER GAMING

Double jump
Starting at the 3rd level, when you use your step of the wind feature, immediately after you make a running long or high jump, you may make an additional running long or high jump while airborne, even though you have no ground beneath you This extra jump does not count towards movement even if you would not normally be able to jump as far normally.

Disjointed hit box
Starting at the 3rd level, when you make a melee weapon attack, it’s reach increases by 5 feet. If you take damage as a part of that attack, due to a creature’s ability or otherwise, you do not take the damage if you are 10 feet away or more when you attack.

Combo breaker
Starting at the 6th level, if a hostile creature has the feature multiattack and hits you with an attack, you may spend 1 ki point and use a reaction to impose disadvantage on it’s next attack. If it’s next attack misses you (but is still targeting you) may make an unarmed strike as a part of that reaction. You lose the effect of this reaction at the end of your attacker’s turn.

RNG manipulation
Starting at the 11th level, as a bonus action, you can force all further attack rolls you make this turn to miss no matter if they hit or not. After you do this, for the next minute or until you lose concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell) you can turn an ordinary hit into a critical hit.

Gamers don’t die, we respawn
Starting at the 17th level, if you are killed, you do not die but instead are immediately teleported to the last place you had a long rest with 1 hp. This fails if you had done so within the last month or you are not in the material plane when you die, in which case a 5th level fireball with a dc 17 saving throws is immediately cast when you die.

JNAProductions
2021-10-04, 10:55 AM
Double Jump feels a little... Iffy, in terms of mobility. Add on a friendly Jump spell and you have 6X jump distance, for free.

Disjointed Hitbox should probably work with Unarmed Strikes, and I'd probably just remove the ability to avoid retaliatory damage.

Combo Breaker looks okay.

RNG Manipulation seems a little shaky-you can make two attacks, then use a bonus action to make all your further attacks (which there are none of) miss, then get a crit. And notably, you can do this OUT OF COMBAT, and just have a free crit when you start.

Gamers Don't Die just feels a little wonky and not very impactful.

mcumoric
2021-10-04, 12:21 PM
Considering how you've judged my homebrew in the past, I'm quite proud of myself that only one ability is noticeably op!
Thanks for your input.

mcumoric
2021-10-04, 12:27 PM
Disjointed hit box
Starting at the 3rd level, when you make a melee weapon attack or unarmed strike, it’s reach increases by 5 feet.

RNG manipulation
Starting at the 11th level, as a 10 minute ritual, you can spend 3 ki points to manipulate your luck. For the next 24 hours, a number of times equal to half your proficiency bonus can turn a single hit into a critical hit.

This might be slightly better?

JNAProductions
2021-10-04, 12:41 PM
Disjointed hit box
Starting at the 3rd level, when you make a melee weapon attack or unarmed strike, it’s reach increases by 5 feet.

RNG manipulation
Starting at the 11th level, as a 10 minute ritual, you can spend 3 ki points to manipulate your luck. For the next 24 hours, a number of times equal to half your proficiency bonus can turn a single hit into a critical hit.

This might be slightly better?

Disjointed better.

RNG, I'm not a fan of the auto-crits. It's not impactful on a Monk much (an extra 1d10 damage, whoo) but despite being 11th level, it's still fodder for those who DO like crits (Inflict Wounds auto-critting from a 5th level slot, 14d10 damage!).

I'd make RNG futz about with (dis)advantage for Ki, probably.

Frozenstep
2021-10-04, 01:06 PM
RNG manipulation

Has the same problem as that one warlock spell. After every long rest, you'll be tempted to cast it, then short rest to get the ki back, and continue with the rest of the day. Kind of annoying for party members.

Maybe it could just be a 1/short rest resource to turn a hit into a crit (and maybe also convert enemy crits into regular hits), but you can also refresh the usage of it by converting one of your critical hits to a regular hit. Probably needs an extra thing or two, though, or be for advantage/disadvantage.