PDA

View Full Version : William Shatner is going to space ---Rocket Man---

Trafalgar
2021-10-04, 10:41 PM
They announced today that William Shatner is going to space on Blue Origin. I wonder what music they will play during the flight, perhaps this:

https://youtu.be/8wI4jMxveyI?t=20

That's what I need on a monday - 3 William Shatners!

Imbalance
2021-10-05, 06:14 AM
Do you think they'll bring him back?

SteveMB
2021-10-05, 07:30 AM
He should be OK as long as he doesn't wear a red shirt or look out at the wing during the flight.

Seriously, though, he's 90 and he still looks younger than he did in "The Deadly Years". :smallsmile:

dafrca
2021-10-05, 07:43 PM
He should be OK as long as he doesn't wear a red shirt or look out at the wing during the flight.

Seriously, though, he's 90 and he still looks younger than he did in "The Deadly Years". :smallsmile:

Are you sure he didn't die and they replaced him with an android? :smallbiggrin:

Manga Shoggoth
2021-10-06, 11:21 AM
Are you sure he didn't die and they replaced him with an android? :smallbiggrin:

They've tried it at least once. It never ends well...

Scarlet Knight
2021-10-06, 01:22 PM
Hey, going into space when you're only an actor worked out ok for Commander Taggart.

dafrca
2021-10-06, 06:11 PM
Hey, going into space when you're only an actor worked out ok for Commander Taggart.

Well played. LOL

Aedilred
2021-10-08, 06:04 AM
There's something about William Shatner. I can't quite put my finger on it. There's an inherent ridiculousness about him, but also a strange magnetism; he has a gargantuan ego, but doesn't seem to take himself entirely seriously; he can (or at least could) act but is famous for being a large ham; he has a star quality and the name recognition of an A-lister, but never really broke out of TV-actor-dom back when TV was decidedly little-league. He's not even a cult figure, really, in the way that, say, George Takei is.

The most comparable figure I can think of is Brian Blessed but there's something extra about Shatner. Even the mention of him is enough to raise a wry smile, even a chuckle. Maybe it's the name that's inherently funny.

So anyway, is this obviously a publicity stunt? Yes. Do I think Shatner is inherently worthy of setting a space-based record? Not really. Does any of this surprise me? Not in the least. For some reason I'm a lot less bothered about Shatner going into space than I am, say, Musk or Bezos, even though really by any sensible objective measure Shatner is a lot less accomplished. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Scarlet Knight
2021-10-08, 09:33 AM
I once read that William Shatner was a "working actor"; in other words, he'll take any job that pays, whether good or bad, thus leading to things like the above song.

He is a capable actor with limited skills, but that works when he is used right. Thus he can do an excellent Twilight Zone episode, but not have a career in horror.

tomandtish
2021-10-13, 11:19 AM
Watched it today. Went up and came down. Everything went fine after a 30 minute liftoff delay.

DavidSh
2021-10-14, 08:52 AM
Is he planning to come back?

Do you mean "come back" physically, or in the sense of as a performer? Because he did arrive back on the ground in seeming good health, and gave a statement that effectively promoted the trip. I don't think he said anything about coming back as an actor or singer. I don't want to be ageist, approaching the sixty myself, but making a 90-year-old the star of a TV show would be a bit of a gamble.

Peelee
2021-10-14, 08:54 AM
I don't want to be ageist, approaching the sixty myself, but making a 90-year-old the star of a TV show would be a bit of a gamble.

Nine years off, but Picard has a new season coming out soon. :smallamused:

tomandtish
2021-10-14, 11:45 AM
Do you mean "come back" physically, or in the sense of as a performer? Because he did arrive back on the ground in seeming good health, and gave a statement that effectively promoted the trip. I don't think he said anything about coming back as an actor or singer. I don't want to be ageist, approaching the sixty myself, but making a 90-year-old the star of a TV show would be a bit of a gamble.

Honestly it probably depends more on general health and desire than age.

Christopher Lee died in 2015 at 93, and was doing at least two projects a year up until then (usually more). Many of them were small, but he was still regularly working. Stewart has also been regularly working. A fair amount of voice work but he's certainly kept busy.

Even Shatner has averaged two projects a year other than 2020 (and honestly 2020 needs to not be part of the equation). I suspect if he felt up to a series and a studio felt they had a role he'd be suited before then they would make a go of it.

Imbalance
2021-10-14, 09:45 PM
He could always return to hosting Rescue 911.

Dragonus45
2021-10-22, 09:47 PM
There's something about William Shatner. I can't quite put my finger on it. There's an inherent ridiculousness about him, but also a strange magnetism; he has a gargantuan ego, but doesn't seem to take himself entirely seriously; he can (or at least could) act but is famous for being a large ham; he has a star quality and the name recognition of an A-lister, but never really broke out of TV-actor-dom back when TV was decidedly little-league. He's not even a cult figure, really, in the way that, say, George Takei is.

The most comparable figure I can think of is Brian Blessed but there's something extra about Shatner. Even the mention of him is enough to raise a wry smile, even a chuckle. Maybe it's the name that's inherently funny.

So there is this great oral history of Star Trek called 50 year mission where this fascinating narrative about Shatner became really clear, everyone ****ing hated the guy but they think he is alright and are happy to grab a beer. It's a fascinating dichotomy for sure.

Albion
2021-11-03, 10:48 AM
In my own opinion, Shatner was a great actor at his start. Then he started to make a clown of himself, and I guess, why not, if that's what he likes.

Peelee
2021-11-03, 11:21 AM
In my own opinion, Shatner was a great actor at his start. Then he started to make a clown of himself, and I guess, why not, if that's what he likes.

I'll clown all day long if it gets me the paychecks he got.

tomandtish
2021-11-03, 11:41 AM
There's a group of actors who (as they get older) basically start playing caricatures of themselves. Your mileage may vary, but some examples:

William Shatner
Alec Baldwin
Rosanne Barr

DavidSh
2021-11-03, 12:04 PM
Leslie Nielsen started off playing serious parts such as in Forbidden Planet, before the comic parts in Airplane and its successors.

Peelee
2021-11-03, 12:49 PM
Leslie Nielsen started off playing serious parts such as in Forbidden Planet, before the comic parts in Airplane and its successors.

Airplane! got him specifically due to that. And it completely revamped his career into whole second career. Which he was amazing at.

Supagoof
2021-11-10, 04:36 PM
Hey, SGT. TJ Hooker was well know for his jump over the car chase the bad guys slide and don't let them get away so I'll hang onto the hood tactics.

The last thing I saw him in which just led credence to his silliness, was a series called "Better late then never" which had him, Henry Winkler (the Fonz), Terry Bradshaw (Quarterback) and George Foreman (Boxer who sells indoor grills) in it. The show featured them going around the world to explore/sample/see other countries and experience their cultures. It was really enjoyable to watch, and since it was a no acting (non-scripted) involved thing, you could see his charm as part of it.

Of course, I was waiting for Foreman to punch him or Terry at any given moment, he was less about their nonsense. :smallsmile:

edit:

@V :biggrin: - yeah, that sounds right, lol.

Peelee
2021-11-10, 04:49 PM
George Foreman (Boxer who sells indoor grills)

I believe you mean "indoor grill salesman who fought some people".

Rynjin
2021-11-10, 05:43 PM
I believe you mean "indoor grill salesman who fought some people".

Damn, that seems pretty disrespectful toward the original brick ****house.

Peelee
2021-11-11, 12:58 AM
Damn, that seems pretty disrespectful toward the original brick ****house.

He made about 20 million dollars boxing. He made a quarter billion dollars selling a grill. That's all I'm saying.

Supagoof
2021-11-11, 12:45 PM
He made about 20 million dollars boxing. He made a quarter billion dollars selling a grill. That's all I'm saying. True...and the grill is quite a handy kitchen tool as well. Useful here in the wintertime in Minnesota when we just want hotdogs.

Back on topic though, does Shatner's movie roles with Star Trek supercede his television roles in Star Trek? Just curious if people see him more TV or Film actor?

Aedilred
2021-11-11, 03:10 PM
True...and the grill is quite a handy kitchen tool as well. Useful here in the wintertime in Minnesota when we just want hotdogs.

Back on topic though, does Shatner's movie roles with Star Trek supercede his television roles in Star Trek? Just curious if people see him more TV or Film actor?

I think on some level Shatner never stopped being a stage actor. He didn't ever fully adapt to the screen where camerawork allows for more understated performances, which is probably where his reputation as an over-indicating ham comes from. That's probably a conscious decision, of course.

I've seen a much higher proportion of the TOS films (all of them) than the series (less than half, most of it some time ago) and I get the impression that his film performances were better. That isn't entirely surprising, really, given the production environment of the films, his own career stagnation and his gargantuan ego most likely relishing the bigger stage and increased focus on Kirk. But he's also primarily a TV actor in terms of profile/output. As a leading actor, he made very few films other than Trek, while he was the face of three reasonably significant TV shows. I think it largely depends on what is meant by the question.