PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Aasimar Racial Adjustments

Azara5
2021-10-05, 05:35 PM
Hey everyone, I have a question about redundancy in builds. One of my players wants to play a Protector Aasimar Celestial warlock. However, there is a lot of redundancy between racial and class features. The bonus spells from their subclass make Light Bearer redundant, and the Celestial Resistance makes Radiant Soul a lot worse. Is there anything I can give them to make up for the redundancy? They shouldn't be punished for making a thematically coherent character. Would giving fire resistance at 6th level instead of radiant resistance be too overpowered? The flavor is still there, as Radiant Soul lets them add their charisma modifier to damage rolls on cantrips that do radiant or fire damage.

Amnestic
2021-10-05, 06:05 PM
It's fine+thematic, it won't break anything.

More importantly just wanna say it's really silly that both Protector Aasimar and Celestial Warlock have features called Radiant Soul that do different things. Come on writers, shouldn't there be a check for that?

CheddarChampion
2021-10-06, 12:57 AM
Do they need a boost?

Most of the time if a player picks stuff that overlaps and doesn't give them a further boost, they understand and accept it.

Christew
2021-10-06, 09:28 AM
Do they need a boost?

Most of the time if a player picks stuff that overlaps and doesn't give them a further boost, they understand and accept it.
Seconded. It's kind of like a Dragonborn Draconic Bloodline -- you know you are double dipping.

Per your change, it's not going to break anything but it is a solid power boost. Fire resistance is much more useful given how common fire damage is and you'll have taken them from two to three resistances.

togapika
2021-10-06, 09:53 AM
Seconded. It's kind of like a Dragonborn Draconic Bloodline -- you know you are double dipping.

Is it? What does the Draconic Sorcerer give that the base Dragonborn gets without taking any racial feats?

Christew
2021-10-06, 10:54 AM
Is it? What does the Draconic Sorcerer give that the base Dragonborn gets without taking any racial feats?
Damage resistance to the element associated with your dragon ancestor type (flat for Dragonborn, 1 sorcery point for Draconic Bloodline -- Elemental Affinity). This of course assumes you are picking the same dragon ancestor for both due to "thematic coherence."

JNAProductions
2021-10-06, 11:25 AM
Do they need a boost?

I'll echo this... Kinda.

Paladins are a powerful class-it's quite possible they're gonna rock socks without any adjustments. But I certainly wouldn't say that rewarding a player for being thematic is a bad thing-obviously don't go too far, but changing overlaps from theme to still grant a bonus seems pretty reasonable.

Oramac
2021-10-07, 12:14 AM
I'll agree with everyone. Giving your player fire resist isn't going to break anything, unless you as a DM just throw all of the fire damage at the party. Also, kudos to you for giving your player the option to really dive in thematically! I'd say yes for that reason alone.

Having said that, it's worth pointing out that fire is one of the most common monster damage types in the game, and granting resistance to it in addition to the necrotic/radiant he already gets will be a pretty solid power boost.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-10-07, 11:41 AM
More importantly just wanna say it's really silly that both Protector Aasimar and Celestial Warlock have features called Radiant Soul that do different things. Come on writers, shouldn't there be a check for that?

Should have been. But the check probably only looked at race features, and the other only at class features.