PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Unexplored idea of OOTS

t209
2021-10-05, 09:17 PM
So here are the questions I imagined
- Any idea how Dragon Empire would be like? I mean Azure City is faux-Asian but not sure how Dragon Empire would be (more Chinese leaning, maybe with centralized government albeit basing on Dragon's habit as some sort of advice)?
- Half Drows, either like half-pointed ear but with white hair and red eyes, Drow but with one-pointed ear and assorted hair color, or these (https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/unbiased_history/images/f/fc/Hilderic.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/147?cb=20201229025252) styles (https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/narutofanon/images/9/9c/ZetsuPKH.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150706035246) (Unbiased History's Half German and Naruto's Zetsu) with one dark face with pointed ear and one human face?

Psyren
2021-10-05, 09:56 PM
Azure City was Japan-themed (because samurai) so DE being closer to China or Thailand makes sense.

I'd like to see more of the elven lands (and their deities) myself.

littlebum2002
2021-10-07, 08:51 AM
Azure City was Japan-themed (because samurai) so DE being closer to China or Thailand makes sense.

I'd like to see more of the elven lands (and their deities) myself.

What is this "Japan" you speak of? I have never heard of it before.

Psyren
2021-10-07, 11:10 AM
What is this "Japan" you speak of? I have never heard of it before.

Miko might not know but the gods certainly do, since the "superhero comicbook" (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1144.html) came from our world.

Metastachydium
2021-10-07, 12:46 PM
Azure City was Japan-themed (because samurai).

Well, not exactly. Azurite names are all over the place (Vietnamese, Korean &c.), the super special New Year festival held on a date that doesn't correspond to the date of new year's day as other regions understand it sounds Chinese to me and so on and so forth.

t209
2021-10-07, 11:18 PM
Well, not exactly. Azurite names are all over the place (Vietnamese, Korean &c.), the super special New Year festival held on a date that doesn't correspond to the date of new year's day as other regions understand it sounds Chinese to me and so on and so forth.
Well, maybe a jab at Kara-Tur or fantasy not!Asian settings.
But it is still Japanese-leaning, like Daimyo and Samurai.
For Dragon Empire, we don't know much except for "dragon knights" or being more "evil leaning" than Azure City.

Fyraltari
2021-10-08, 06:06 AM

It's explained that Azure City used to belong to the Ancient Empire that spanned most of the Southern Continent and so is a bit of a meltping pot of Southern (i.e. Asian) cultures. It's not explicitly stated but it looks like they mostly took after Japan. Maybe the area was solely Japan-inspired before the Empire.

Morty
2021-10-08, 08:34 AM
It's explained that Azure City used to belong to the Ancient Empire that spanned most of the Southern Continent and so is a bit of a meltping pot of Southern (i.e. Asian) cultures. It's not explicitly stated but it looks like they mostly took after Japan. Maybe the area was solely Japan-inspired before the Empire.

As far as post-fact explanations of a usual fantasy Asian blend go, this one wasn't bad.

Psyren
2021-10-08, 10:22 AM

I didn't say Japan was the only element in there, just pointing it out as the most prominent.

danielxcutter
2021-10-11, 07:09 AM
For what it’s worth, there are a good number of commonalities between the cultures that Azure City borrows from. You plop a bunch of people from those cultures into a D&D world and I imagine it’d look a bit like Azure City after a few generations. Except probably less blue.