PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dwarf life cleric magic weapon

DwarfDM
2021-10-06, 07:13 AM
Hello everybody,

I am currently thinking about an item for one of my players. He is playing a 3rd lvl dwarven life cleric. He currently is the only player without a magic weapon/item.
Wizard--> staff of defence
Fighter --> +1 longsword
Rogue --> +1 dagger of returning

The entire party is new to the game. They are playing lost mine of phandalin.

The idea is a magical warhammer.
It has a number of charges that can be used to cast spells on the wielder.

"Spellforge warhammer" Requires attunement
This warhammer has 3 Charges. While holding it, you can use a bonusaction to expend 1 or more of its Charges to cast one of the following Spells from it targeting only yourself, using your spell save DC and Spellcasting ability modifier: Shield of faith (1 charge), protection from evil and good (1 charge). or enlarge (2 charges).

Should I make it a +1 weapon? Any other thoughts or ideas?

J-H
2021-10-06, 07:43 AM
Is the life cleric mixing it up in melee a lot? Life clerics have heavy armor proficiency and shields, and I think they generally benefit more from defensive items.

The defining item for the Life Cleric in my game (from level 3 Castle Dracula up to level 16 vs Aztec Aaracokra) has been Adamantine Scale Mail picked up in the very first session 2 years ago. Her AC isn't great, but it's saved her from a lot of crits, including at least one 5th-level Inflict Wounds crit during a big important fight.

DwarfDM
2021-10-06, 10:55 AM
He does like melee, to provide flanking for the fighter and becouse he has the AC to back it up.

We are playing until lvl 4 or 5. Because the game is new to them I want to introduce them to magic items and how they work.

TyGuy
2021-10-06, 11:56 PM
He does like melee, to provide flanking for the fighter and becouse he has the AC to back it up.

We are playing until lvl 4 or 5. Because the game is new to them I want to introduce them to magic items and how they work.

Does he use a shield? As a life cleric I would love a creative shield.

J-H
2021-10-07, 09:14 AM
This may be a bit higher-powered than you're looking to hand out, but is pretty nice.

Shield of Angel Wings
Very rare, requires attunement
This +1 shield is shaped to resemble a pair of white
folded wings made of metal.
Usable only by creatures with a Good alignment, this
shield protects the wearer in battle.
1. Bearer benefits from Feather Fall at all times
2. The D4 granted by Bless & Bane is always
respectively maximized or minimized for the bearer

Master O'Laughs
2021-10-07, 09:25 AM
The Sentinel Shield would be great. Advantage on initiative and wisdom perception checks.

It is also uncommon.

Amulet of the Devout +1 to make spells harder to resist.

Stone of Good luck would give +1 to ability checks (includes initiative) and saving throws

DwarfDM
2021-10-07, 10:27 AM
I never thought about a shield. Great idea!
The fighter uses a Greataxe so that is great!

An amulet is also a great idea. But I want to make the cleric has the most benefit from it. So maybe I wil combine it with something else ore impose restrictions (like it being a devine spellcasting focus from his Deity)

I am going to think about it for a while.

EDIT: I just saw that it is only for clerics or paladins. So it wil be an uncommon amulet of the Devout.

Thank u very much